Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,815 members, 7,956,081 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:59 AM

Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel (28768 Views)

Team 23 Of Russian Engineers Arrive Ajaokuta Steel Company, Kogi State / What I Did To Online Loan Company After They Embarrassed Me (Pic) / No Plan To Sell Ajaokuta Steel, Osinbajo Assures Kogi Gov (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by AdorableJosh(m): 5:26pm On Oct 16, 2018
The sunk cost of this project is mindboggling, my jaw was on the floor listening to Natasha Akpoti's report.
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 5:27pm On Oct 16, 2018
Chai if you go to some states they are so dry and desolate. 90% of the roads are in ruins.
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by yassinattah(m): 5:27pm On Oct 16, 2018
why does PMB want to sell these company, ask him to probe Obasanjo's Govt because they looted funds using the company during OBJ's administration.
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by stankezzy: 5:30pm On Oct 16, 2018
The problem with steel factory is more than what a lot of people know , selling a stell industry is like selling your wife or selling the army of a country and expect the army buyer to come and protect the country , stell production is the bedrock of industrialisation and modernisation , that u will be technologically advanced is your stell industry , there have never been any of these developed country that have their stell industry being managed buy another country , there is no developed country that does not have sound steel industry , the main problem with this our steel industry is that it was built when India, China and other Asian countries does not have much technology , the west refused to build anything technological to 3rd world countries so that there will not be technology transfer or if they will build it , it will be so massive almost as big as one big town so that it will be too complicated for learners to read or understand , the Soviet forcefully started building the steel plant against the wish of the west but still abandoned it at a stage which is international conspiracy , it is only chinese that will agree to manage it because they don't play by the rules , to them if u want to learn , learn, e no concern dem, but giving it to china is very risky , the remaining option is for nigeria to go for smaller stell industry they can manage and understand built by Chinese, as for this one no matter how much u put in it the west will frustrate it never to work , if u can remember when one of our president wanted to borrow money from imf to complete it , they told him the industry is out dated that he should close it down but still this same people are selling motor and aeroplane that is up to 30 years to us , abi old motor no de move? , it may not move as fast as modern motor but at least it can move

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by CocoaOla: 5:34pm On Oct 16, 2018
THE WHITES SHOULD COME BACK OOO NIGRIA IS NOT FIT TO BE A COUNTRY I DON PRAY I DON TIRE
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by CocoaOla: 5:49pm On Oct 16, 2018
AND STEEEL PLANT AROUND THE WORLD COST LESS THAN $10BILLION DOLLARS NIGERIA HAVE SPENT $80 BILLION DOLLAR AND ITS
STILL NOT FUNCTIONING THEY ARE USING THE PROJECT TO STEAL NIGERIANS MONEY SPIT ON NIGERIA GOVERMENTS

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by tommenoh(m): 5:49pm On Oct 16, 2018
I weep to hear that,Ajaokuta mill,may not function, in our lifetime!yes,that's what it means.i went on a school field trip in '93,and was awed at the expanse of land it occupies and the technology that was on displayed.and even dreamed of working there, after graduation.Alas,years after and billions,sunk in,we still can't get a single I-beam,rolled off it!
Even with Russian technology, it ought to have stood the test of time and functioned for some years,awaiting modernisation. Its no fault of Russia,but the myopic government that can not see the opportunity that such functioning Mill,could bring and millions that would have been saved,from it complimenting imported steel.
The rails;to what purpose,if the plant isn't to function soon ?just another means to siphon off ,funds,I bet.
Smh......a thing of shame, I must say.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 16, 2018
Flets:
Nigerians need to understand that the Chinese loans collected by Buhari was tied to the 60% JV interest of the Nigerian govt in the IOCs.

Meaning in the next few years, Chinese will take over/ run our oil and gas industry because this govt is bent on looting the entire funds.

Nigeria is doomed.
I won't be surprised if this is true
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by KanwuliaMama: 5:56pm On Oct 16, 2018
APC completed project! grin
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by clemzo101(m): 6:02pm On Oct 16, 2018
Sell Biko
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 16, 2018
boxypane:

Where did you get this unethical analysis from? Back of your TV?
That is how China gives its loans they build roads rails and bridges in Africa and tie its repayment to national assets Has happened in Ethiopia

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 16, 2018
Pavarottii:
I tot wen this govt came on board... They allocated money to that place and put it as one of their achievements that it's back and running... Abeg where did that money go to or what is this am reading..m

Our Mumu don do...

We av to Atikulate.
How do you expect illiterate people to make sound business decisions
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by JimD(m): 6:15pm On Oct 16, 2018
forgiveness:

Well, I don't know anything about Ajaokuta but I know people will use it as a safe means of traveling within that area.

The speed of the Train is 120 km per hour.
Idiot. The rail has been laid there for years. If there is no steel plant, who wants to travel to Ajaokuta @ 120km/hr?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by 2buffagain(m): 6:18pm On Oct 16, 2018
Where in the world does it cost $80 billion dollars to build just a simple stinking steel plant?!

What will a (much needed) power plant now cost to build?
Naija is the MVP of facepalms.
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by 2buffagain(m): 6:26pm On Oct 16, 2018
CocoaOla:
AND STEEEL PLANT AROUND THE WORLD COST LESS THAN $10BILLION DOLLARS NIGERIA HAVE SPENT $80 BILLION DOLLAR AND ITS
STILL NOT FUNCTIONING THEY ARE USING THE PROJECT TO STEAL NIGERIANS MONEY SPIT ON NIGERIA GOVERMENTS

This is the primary way money is looted from the country.
80% of it is thru projects. It is the cleanest way than just going to pack bags of money due to EFCC having more guidelines.

Now it's all government project scams i.e If I give you this government project, make sure you buy cement from ABC company and your metal from XYZ company....which costs x100 of the normal price of said materials.

Of course, ABC and XYZ company will codedly kick back a huge chunk of their proceeds to said politicians or help the politician acquire things (basically what Madueke did). And on and on the cycle goes.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by 2buffagain(m): 6:35pm On Oct 16, 2018
Something that if they even manage to build, they will still not maintain it. With naija attitude, the whole thing will be rusted and bush-looking within a year of use.

A lot of us have to finish our time on earth before naija can trully move forward...and I don't just mean the politicians. We as a people get problem.

Hopefully the following generations learns from our general stupidity towards handling things.
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by Nobody: 6:43pm On Oct 16, 2018
Alzirida:
Not a good one.
Why not privatise and have 30% stake
They should totally privatize it sef, as far as am concerned
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by rexwalters: 7:07pm On Oct 16, 2018
Flets:
Nigerians need to understand that the Chinese loans collected by Buhari was tied to the 60% JV interest of the Nigerian govt in the IOCs.

Meaning in the next few years, Chinese will take over/ run our oil and gas industry because this govt is bent on looting the entire funds.

Nigeria is doomed.
A Big Fat Lie,don't speak on thing you know nothing of.
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by rexwalters: 7:08pm On Oct 16, 2018
legitimatefrank1:
They should totally privatize it sef, as far as am concerned
The House of Representatives (Nigerians) refused.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by Exponental(m): 7:46pm On Oct 16, 2018
Nigeria for sale!! Go beee!
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by bixton(m): 7:49pm On Oct 16, 2018
I can't believe the CBN governor is saying all this.
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by roscoleefad: 8:01pm On Oct 16, 2018
But fayemi ex minister of steel did promise Nigerian that Abeokuta will commence operations two before a quit to contest for governorship Apc with liar

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by COMPAQ(m): 8:03pm On Oct 16, 2018
I seriously doubt the $80bln quoted in this article.

What I remember from previous articles ranged from $5bln to $8bln and nowhere near $80bln.Maybe na typo. But the should sell the damned thing to credible private investors though. Govt has no business in business.
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by roscoleefad: 8:08pm On Oct 16, 2018
But ex minister promise the Ajaokuta will be operatioal in two months apc with liar
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by Charly68: 8:48pm On Oct 16, 2018
Ajaokuta town needs deliverance ,even if they sell that plant it won't work . A project of 1979 could not function till date something is wrong somewhere may be Govt didn't settle the land owners and they cursed the project..
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by ofwest47(m): 11:11pm On Oct 16, 2018
All the major industrial concerns in the country should be privatised to reduce the extreme criminality of corruption.
Where is the Nigerian National shipping line today? where is the National Nigerian Airlines? dead and buried through corruption, so also many uncountable numbers of government owned business establishment and enterprises.
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by Omooba77: 8:08am On Oct 17, 2018
tommenoh:
I weep to hear that,Ajaokuta mill,may not function, in our lifetime!yes,that's what it means.i went on a school field trip in '93,and was awed at the expanse of land it occupies and the technology that was on displayed.and even dreamed of working there, after graduation.Alas,years after and billions,sunk in,we still can't get a single I-beam,rolled off it!
Even with Russian technology, it ought to have stood the test of time and functioned for some years,awaiting modernisation. Its no fault of Russia,but the myopic government that can not see the opportunity that such functioning Mill,could bring and millions that would have been saved,from it complimenting imported steel.
The rails;to what purpose,if the plant isn't to function soon ?just another means to siphon off ,funds,I bet.
Smh......a thing of shame, I must say.

God bless you for this sir; I wept the last time I was there.
Re: Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel by calyto: 9:27am On Oct 17, 2018
Until you read and compare the terms, the cases can never be thesame.

It's just media propaganda

Ugosample:

he has a point, and I think I'll believe him because that's the modus operandi of the Chinese

They have done that to Sri Lanka, Jamaica, Greece and Zambia

so what stops them from doing it to Nigeria too?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Stop The Hypocrisy: Ukraine Treated Black Africans Better Than South Africa Did! / Let's Make Peace Before It's Too Late – Onyeka Onwenu Says In Tearful Message / Masked DSS Officials Storm National Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.