Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,561 members, 7,955,081 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:29 PM

Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. (28903 Views)

FG Increases Unity Schools’ Fees From ₦45,000 To ₦100,000 / Covenant University Increases School Fees For International Students / LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by lexy2014: 3:09pm On Oct 16, 2018
theoldpretender:

Governments don't take the load off your shoulder in developed countries.

All those credits, grants and subsidies have to be paid for...in the form of high taxes...and paying back of loans from your salaries...which could last for 25 years...

You think that life in developed countries is that good ? As someone who knows people that live over theire...life aint that good.

As regards funding for education in Nigeria...we can't have a discussion without talking about the budget ....or you think that unviersites manufacture their money in Elysium?

Life ain't that good in these countries but what is d standard of living in these countries compared to Nigeria? What is their minimum wage compared to Nigeria?
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by Nobody: 3:10pm On Oct 16, 2018
theoldpretender:

The reason why universites in Nigeria are increasing fees is their costs are going up AND.....they do want to prduce high quality graduates...but can't because they simply don't have the funding.

(Matters are made worse by the cosntant establishment of new universites, which make it difficult to adequately fund exisiting ones. ).

As an example...the VC of ABU (A very large university by land mass) said in a speech that he has annual overhead costs of N600million. Government gives him N100million. Where does the guy get the remaining N500million from?

As regards illiteracy, you don't need to go to university to be consdered literate. Most of my parent's generation did not go to university. A good number of them are far more literate than the average modern day university graduate. Some went to polytechnics, some went to Colleges of Education, and some went to technical schools...and did well (One guy I admired growing up was a technician who could repair anything...car, radio, tv...if he were alive now he would have branched into PC's...).

Foreign universites are very expensive...and students take heavy loans to attend those universites. The loans have to be paid back...and they chop a large amount of your salary.

In short....we have to improve our universities. They need money for facilities to be improved. The foriegn universities you like...the N2 million is money that goes to upgrading their facilities, and making them look nicer....why can't that money stay at home.

We can't afford to keep fees low. And the truth is, I don't like the idea of high fees. It will impact on my wallet one day. But then I don't like the idea of more half baked graduates either.

Well you have made some valid points, but do you know the following might occur as a result of this:
1. High crime rate, which means you and I have to sleep with one eye open?
2. Increase in illiteracy level as secondary and primary schools will adopt to this approach?
3. Increase in price of products and other goods, as parents would have to increase the price of their services to pay for their children school fees?
These are just a few points,

As for the Universities, we know Nigeria very well, what are their plans in improving the quality of education if their request is approved?

Because my country Nigeria, usually increase fees of items to separate the rich from the poor, so what's your proof that they really intend to increase the quality of education?

Secondly, Citizens abroad can take loans to acquire education because they trust their educational system to provide them with the jobs after schooling, But you I know that's different in Nigeria as companies don't even value our certificates, so how does increasing the school fees make our degree valuable?
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by theoldpretender(m): 3:11pm On Oct 16, 2018
lexy2014:

D simple questions I asked u, u aren't answering. What is d level of access to grants, credits and subsidies in those countries compared to Nigeria? What is d interest rate on loans, educational and sundry loans compared to Nigeria? I still asked u about budget. Do we have d same budget management in Nigeria compared to ur countries of reference? Is it about budget or about proper allocation and proper management of allocation?

1.I have already answered your question.

2.You seem to be of the opinion that students abroad recieve free money which they don't pay back.

3.Education is not free.

4.The budget management in Nigeria is bad...but that is not the point. Point is...we need N3 trillion every year to keep fees low. Our budget this year was N8 trillion. You want to spend N3 trillion of that on just unviersites?

I hate making this argument....but all those loans, grants you harp about....are paid back by the students abroad when they graduate from their salaries....at a high rate. (And many of thiese students pay morgtages, and other loans, as well as credit card debts too).

Now....how do you want to fund educaiton in Nigeria? [b]Be honest....you want free stuff....without thinking how it would be paid fo[/b]r.
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by richfriendsng: 3:12pm On Oct 16, 2018
Nawa oo, check my siggy for an alternative source of income
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by theoldpretender(m): 3:16pm On Oct 16, 2018
Ezechinwa:

Well you have made some valid points, but do you know the following might occur as a result of this:
1. High crime rate, which means you and I have to sleep with one eye open?
2. Increase in illiteracy level as secondary and primary schools will adopt to this approach?
3. Increase in price of products and other goods, as parents would have to increase the price of their services to pay for their children school fees?
These are just a few points,

As for the Universities, we know Nigeria very well, what are their plans in improving the quality of education if their request is approved?

Because my country Nigeria, usually increase fees of items to separate the rich from the poor, so what's your proof that they really intend to increase the quality of education?

Secondly, Citizens abroad can take loans to acquire education because they trust their educational system to provide them with the jobs after schooling, But you I know that's different in Nigeria as companies don't even value our certificates, so how does increasing the school fees make our degree valuable?

1.Thats the problem. I have no proof that things would get better if fees go up. But then again, we have enough proof that low fees now-half baked graduates.

2.If we increase fees...hypothetically...more money comes in for facilities...which means better research, better quality of staff, better students and lecturers.
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by theoldpretender(m): 3:26pm On Oct 16, 2018
FREE EDUCATION IS BAD EDUCATION

There’s a rumbling discontent brewing in Jos. On one hand, it’s great news that it is not as a result of the usual tensions that are frequently reported. On the other, it is news that forces us to confront the state of our tertiary institutions, once again. Annual tuition fees at the (Federal) University of Jos have been raised to N45,000 from N27,000, to the displeasure of the students. If history is anything to go by, we can safely expect the students to stage a demonstration, following which the university will be closed for a few months.

This is always a difficult conversation to have, especially when the discussant is on the greener side of the social divide. But this cycle will probably keep repeating itself, until tertiary education is priced sustainably. Naturally, the argument for the other side will be that education is the surest catalyst for social mobility and that the less privileged should not be priced out of education. Again, we get very little back from our government and so it should remain the government’s responsibility to subsidize all levels of education. But in spite of the vast sums that are stolen from the public purse by those we elect to serve us, which could be put towards education and infrastructure, I do not think the arguments above hold very much water.

Many people cite the Norwegian example in the argument for free education into post-graduate studies. After all, we are both endowed with vast mineral wealth. This is a false equivalence, as Norway has only 5 million people against its proven crude deposits of 5,366,000,000 BBL, compared to Nigeria’s 170 million people against its proven deposits of 37,200,000,000 BBL. Per capita, Norway is 5 times richer in oil than we are and unlike us, Norway has kept the wealth away in what is now the world’s largest sovereign wealth fund. Norway also has a tax to GDP ratio of 44% compared to Nigeria’s 6%, but let us stick with education.

Good, progressive governance should indeed be about encouraging social mobility. However, there is the question of where society is headed if the quality of education is sacrificed on the altar of social mobility. The repercussions are already being felt. Many recruiters complain about the pool of graduates from which they employ, bandying the ‘half-baked’ cliché. Many companies, especially multinationals, send their new recruits for extensive training before allowing them into general population.

Even the ‘good’ graduates, who go abroad for masters and doctorates often find it difficult at first to settle into the rigours of proper tertiary education. A lot of what passes as research in the best of our universities here is nothing but rank plagiarism abroad. Very few understand how broad and far-reaching plagiarism is and how severe the consequences are.

Plagiarism aside, how many university lecturers here tolerate dissenting views, even where those views are backed by verifiable facts/data? Chances are, if you do not regurgitate what your lecturer dictated to you or printed in the handout (s)he forced you to buy, you won’t excel in his/her course. Rubbish, you say? Law school students doing the Bar Part I course (for foreign-trained lawyers) always complain about the learning methods at the law school. “Learning,” even at the law school, is sitting through hours of note dictation. As we all know and have seen, note-dictation means you only need to find a diligent classmate with good handwriting, to photocopy his notes when it’s time to cram, 3 weeks before exams.

How do we excel in STEM or build a nation of cutting edge inventors and researchers when the majority of secondary school students are prepared and study for “Theory of Practical” exams? Why are computer science students still being taught FORTRAN (and without hardware)? Will free/heavily subsidized low quality education make us a country that can compete with the world’s leading economies?

Personally, I think we need to move away from this “XYZ Governor enjoyed free education but wants to deprive today’s youth” argument, for many reasons. The first is that, it is a lie! If you go back to our primary and secondary school literature books, the narratives showed villages putting money together to send children to school. Many people were the beneficiaries of some sort of grant or scholarship and had to drop out if things got tough back home. The second is that the annual N90 my mother paid to attend University of Ibadan in the 70s, was worth much more than the same N90 I was charged, in the 90s. That sort of system is not sustainable.

It is this free system that ensures that the best of our brains are lured away by more competitive salaries and opportunities, to contribute to the body of knowledge. It is this free system that ensures that there has been no major scientific or engineering breakthrough (of the kind that can withstand the robust and rigorous scrutiny of international peers) in any of our universities. It is this free system that makes the Ghanaian educational system more attractive to Nigerian parents, who can’t afford the US-Europe route. This same ‘free everything’ is why we don’t have technicians and artisans with proper skills.

No Nigerian university features in the World’s Top 100. The highest-ranking Nigerian University in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2016/17, is the University of Ibadan, at 801. Up UI, but 801? A look at the Top 10 shows them all to be from the US and UK. An expanded look at the Top 100 generally shows them to be from the world’s leading economies. It almost seems that there’s a link between the quality of education available in a country and how developed the country is.

Perhaps this should have been a piece about the government’s commitment to education rather than one about low fees. However, what we have here is a dangerous combination of both. It is doubtful that even with less sticky-fingered public officials, there would be enough money to fund all our public universities effectively. It is however clear that the funding has to come from somewhere, for this rot to stop.

https://guardian.ng/features/law/free-education-is-bad-education/
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by lexy2014: 3:32pm On Oct 16, 2018
theoldpretender:

1.I have already answered your question.

U haven't answered any question. What is standard of living in ur countries of reference compared to Nigeria? What is their minimum wage? Did u answer that and others?

2.You seem to be of the opinion that students abroad recieve free money which they don't pay back.

Did I tell u that? Where did I tell u that? Pls show me. Obviously u haven't been following d discussion.

3.Education is not free.

Is that d argument?

4.The budget management in Nigeria is bad...but that is not the point. Point is...we need N3 trillion every year to keep fees low. Our budget this year was N8 trillion. You want to spend N3 trillion of that on just unviersites?

Budget management is bad&ur solution is to put more money into bad budget management. Budget management is d point. Cos if u can't manage ur budget, then u can't get results if u like have all d money in d world. Budget management will ensure better allocation of funds & optimization of resources per time. Y do u think ur countries if reference are better than Nigeria?

I hate making this argument....but all those loans, grants you harp about....are paid back by the students abroad when they graduate from their salaries....at a high rate. (And many of thiese students pay morgtages, and other loans, as well as credit card debts too).

U are already arguing and arguing without a basis.
Did I tell u d loans they take aren't paid back? D question I asked u is whst is d level access to loans, credit, grants and subsidies in ur countries of reference compared to Nigeria? What is d interest rate in those countries compared to Nigeria?

Now....how do you want to fund educaiton in Nigeria? [b]Be honest....you want free stuff....without thinking how it would be paid fo[/b]r.

Where did u and me discuss free stuff? Is education in Nigeria not already being funded?

Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by omoelerin1: 3:39pm On Oct 16, 2018
That's what the useless leaders in south west have turned education to. There is no state owned university in the south west that is affordable for the children of the poor any more. Latter they will be shouting, 'we are progressive', 'we are the most educated people in the country'. Unknown to them that they are only dwelling on the past glory. When it is very obvious that other regions have already surpassed them in education.
Is this how their founding fathers did it?

I pity the future of the region. South west will soon be relegated and become the most backward region in the country.
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by Joshzion(m): 4:03pm On Oct 16, 2018
HarkymTheOracle:

Thanks.. And happy birthday to you.

OH thanks... You're going places
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by philbanj(m): 4:07pm On Oct 16, 2018
Get Admission Wahala
Pay School Fee Double Wahala...... And no be everybody wey go school lo mo iwe
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by abioduny: 4:14pm On Oct 16, 2018
EnglishUsa:
Please my fellow youths try and learn handwork while schooling, mechanic is a very good option do not overlook it. There are too many other handwork one can learn while going to school, education in Nigeria is a very big 419 education is very important but please don't put all your eegs in one basket.no job outside ooo!!! If you like pay one million if you like pay 10 naira Na the same palace all of us go meet.
. you make sense bro, it is better to learn handwork in this country rather wasting money and years schooling in naija, If person like make he had distinction, if you no get connection, na sorry be the case
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by Abeyjide: 4:33pm On Oct 16, 2018
imagine spending 4hrs on road instead of 2hrs because of this.they suffer me today no be small. hmmm
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by Nobody: 5:02pm On Oct 16, 2018
hmmm !

good though!

even if the government is not ready to assist us.

What we want to achieve matters.
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by akaahs(m): 5:07pm On Oct 16, 2018
[quote author=Chriswazo post=72135463]

Oga if you don't have any meaningful thing to say, you steer clear of important matters.

What kind of madness is this Mtcheew[/quote
And what meaningful thing u said that make sense??
If u don't have any thing meaningful to say stop master bating on people trade.
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by Hanniqie: 5:11pm On Oct 16, 2018
This same LAUTECH that after you finish your program, to get your transcript na war.
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by giztzone(m): 6:37pm On Oct 16, 2018
Why KWANU?

Massive Recruitment At Federal Medical Centre, Owerri
Federal Medical Centre, Owerri Recruitment 2018 For Intern

See more Details

2018 Residency Programme recruitment at Federal Medical Centre, Owerri

See more Details

Housemanship at Federal Medical Centre

See more Details
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 16, 2018
are they giving PHD at once?
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by Hornome: 8:07pm On Oct 16, 2018
I personally think this is unfair so an average nigerian must have more than one million before they can go a common school of technology for four years.
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by Gabriel6(m): 8:38pm On Oct 16, 2018
speechless
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by Nobody: 6:32am On Oct 17, 2018
Aooux:
After all the strike and all

Wahala wa o

*WORDPRESS PREMIUM THEMES AVAILABLE*

I have any wordpress premium theme you may be looking for as long as its available
Such as:

Business
Magazine
Portfolio
Blogging
Woocommerce
Multi purpose
Etc.

Kindly chat/call me up on
For a wonderful deal

Thank you!

NB: PHP and HTML website scripts available too

pls send me mail... wavesquadrisk @ gmail. com.
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by Aooux(m): 8:54am On Oct 17, 2018
weavesquad:

pls send me mail... wavesquadrisk @ gmail. com.

Check your mail bro
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by Nobody: 5:20pm On Oct 17, 2018
them go sell
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by sensibility55: 8:23pm On Oct 17, 2018
Nigeria is falling apart
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by Primusinterpares(m): 3:08pm On Oct 18, 2018
bluefilm:

PCV indeed!
No wonder you have a 2 kobo brain.
Typo noted... thanks for the highlight. I don't have a 2 Kobo brain oga. Thanks. do have a nice day and stay out of trouble. 1 love. #God bless Nigeria.
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by Primusinterpares(m): 3:12pm On Oct 18, 2018
CodeTemplar:
High? How?
From 75k to 250k that's like over 300% hike...
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by CodeTemplar: 5:47pm On Oct 18, 2018
Primusinterpares:
From 75k to 250k that's like over 300% hike...
Govt can't be sponsoring yahoo bois and runs girls. Let them.save up for university education. In America people don't complain about minimum wage but save for college education a decade before or more before their wards are due for college education. People also take loans to fund college education.

1 Like

Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by Primusinterpares(m): 7:07am On Oct 19, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Govt can't be sponsoring yahoo bois and runs girls. Let them.save up for university education. In America people don't complain about minimum wage but save for college education a decade before or more before their wards are due for college education. People also take loans to fund college education.
... sponsoring Yahoo Bois and runs girls?
i don't understand o.
is it that na only yahoo Bois and runs girls nai dey go lautech?
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by CodeTemplar: 9:42am On Oct 19, 2018
Primusinterpares:
... sponsoring Yahoo Bois and runs girls?
i don't understand o.
is it that na only yahoo Bois and runs girls nai dey go lautech?
Majority
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by Sirhethat12(f): 1:34pm On Oct 19, 2018
CodeTemplar:

Are you a student or a graduate? if yes, which school please?
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by CodeTemplar: 1:41pm On Oct 19, 2018
Sirhethat12:

Are you a student or a graduate? if yes, which school please?
Once a Ladokite then switched.
Re: Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. by Nobody: 4:58pm On Oct 19, 2018
so this is what you have been planning for the student so far
do you know that some parent have to go and collect owo alajo be4 they can send their child to school
do you even know some students is the one sponsoring their self
do you even care about how many student who is going to stay at home
do you even know that for some student to pay 65000 they have to hawk while some are company workers.
Haba!
#250000 is too much
some student can't withstand it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ali And Simbi Are They Still Boy/girl? / Yusuf Ololade Faidat Of UNILORIN Clinches 19 Prizes At Convocation / FG Bans SSS1, SSS2 Students From Taking External WASSCE, NECO, NABTEB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.