Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,271 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:07 AM

Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? (13310 Views)

Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering / Study Petrochemical Engineering Or Computer Science?which And Why / Thread For Mechanical Engineers... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by ajayiopy: 11:11am On Oct 17, 2018
TRY MECHATRONICS,BUT ALL THESE DEGREES NA WASH.I STUDIED MECHANICAL AND DOING JUST FINE IN BANK WITH MY PASSION IN MECHANICAL AND PROCUREMENT AS SIDE RUNS.
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Taam(m): 11:11am On Oct 17, 2018
be focus what matter most is first degree. my advice is to make your study your first job and make your hobbies or likes your second job. you can learn embedded systems and programming without changing department. stick to your mechanical engineering and learn your passion on a standnote point from expert, it will make you a better engineer.
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by chloride6: 11:12am On Oct 17, 2018
jesmond3945:
i am already sitting down at work, you should have said i should stand up.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Omoocash(m): 11:14am On Oct 17, 2018
Gauss15:
I'd need a candid advice on this nairalanders. I'm a 300L mechanical engineering student but after my 200L, I noticed I was no more drawn to mechanical engineering as I'd have to do some courses I've no interest in.

So far, the only courses I've come to really like in mechanical engineering is mechanics, strength of material and machine designs. Reason being that I want to major in robotics.

I've had thoughts of switching to electrical and electronics engineering because of my interest in embedded systems. But, it'd take me back to 200l and I'd have to spend extra 2yrs in school. But I thought of borrowing some courses from Elect and then switching over to computer science as I've been into programming that it makes me drop my mechanical engineering's textbooks too often.

Because I had lost some money last year and my detachment from mechanical engineering, I had dropped from 1st class to 2.1 which stands at impeding my chance of getting a scholarship to further my studies in Robotics. I will not be able to come up to a first class unless I borrow tons of courses. Being that scholarships are highly competitive, I'm considering switching to computer science because it harbours my love for programming and electronics. I'm 25, and considering that I'd drop down to 200L as opposed to the 400l I'm heading towards, I was supposed to graduate by '20 but I'd be graduating by '21 if I change to computer science which is just a year difference. By then, I'd be 28.

Am I making the right choice? I really don't have the passion for mechanical again. I need some pieces of advice and possible outcomes of my decision.

Guy I will advise you finish with Mechanical Engineering and later do your Master in Mechatronics Engineering in Oversea. I know many that have done that. if your interest is in Robotics, this you can get at Mechatronics Engineering. Or You do your Master in Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering; Mechanical and Automation Engineering.... Here you will be exposed to a series of Robotics design and development. DO not quit now, Finish first.
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Arelyn: 11:17am On Oct 17, 2018
Reading through the comments I found out that they are all passing out the same cliche information like "follow your heart", which has been overused since the beginning of creation....
Guy, let me tell you the honest truth, Engineering is as good as dead in Nigeria and that's because the country is not indigenously industrialized. The supply of engineering graduate far outweighs demand and that's another reason why competition is stiff and when you eventually get the job, you are paid peanuts.
Computer science is the bae of the future as people do say but I don't think that is in Nigeria because we are still literally many thousands years behind the real digitalization the western world is living in. Is it the same computer science students that are still being thought pascal, fortran, cobol etc in our universities you are talking about or another.
I don't want to sound as a pessimist but I will encourage you to go for computer science and don't rely on your university education rather start doing professional certifications. I think this will make you highly marketable even before you graduate.
If you really want to make impact and earn well, computer science certifications are the way forward, all you just need is to determine which branch you want to focus on and if you need more information, you can contact me privately
This is my advice as a trained engineer in Nigeria but now a professional cybersecurity expert in a major country.
And for some that may feel bad about the truth, facts don't give a Bleep about how you feel

4 Likes

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by hustla(m): 11:21am On Oct 17, 2018
femi4:
Finish with mech and do professional courses in Computer/IT. That will give you more edge

Best advice
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by mike234: 11:28am On Oct 17, 2018
femi4:
Finish with mech and do professional courses in Computer/IT. That will give you more edge

Just about to say this. Let me add more.

You can do your master in a computer related course while taking professional exams in computer science.

Just finish your first degree in mechE biko.
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Johnbosco1: 11:28am On Oct 17, 2018
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by chloride6: 11:28am On Oct 17, 2018
Lifeoffjay16:
Electrical and electronics is the bomb. Abandon mechanical and choose computer immediately. Mechanical has the fewest opportunities. But if you hit in mechanical, no engineer will be richer than you.

Biggest lie ever....
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Evangkatsoulis: 11:28am On Oct 17, 2018
Gauss15:
I'd need a candid advice on this nairalanders. I'm a 300L mechanical engineering student but after my 200L, I noticed I was no more drawn to mechanical engineering as I'd have to do some courses I've no interest in.

So far, the only courses I've come to really like in mechanical engineering is mechanics, strength of material and machine designs. Reason being that I want to major in robotics.

I've had thoughts of switching to electrical and electronics engineering because of my interest in embedded systems. But, it'd take me back to 200l and I'd have to spend extra 2yrs in school. But I thought of borrowing some courses from Elect and then switching over to computer science as I've been into programming that it makes me drop my mechanical engineering's textbooks too often.

Because I had lost some money last year and my detachment from mechanical engineering, I had dropped from 1st class to 2.1 which stands at impeding my chance of getting a scholarship to further my studies in Robotics. I will not be able to come up to a first class unless I borrow tons of courses. Being that scholarships are highly competitive, I'm considering switching to computer science because it harbours my love for programming and electronics. I'm 25, and considering that I'd drop down to 200L as opposed to the 400l I'm heading towards, I was supposed to graduate by '20 but I'd be graduating by '21 if I change to computer science which is just a year difference. By then, I'd be 28.

Am I making the right choice? I really don't have the passion for mechanical again. I need some pieces of advice and possible outcomes of my decision.

You are 25, no have little time. Unless your parents are rich or have connections try to graduate with any grade in mech eng and get out of school.
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Johnbosco1: 11:29am On Oct 17, 2018
I'll tell you a story.

There's this girl who aced all her subjects in secondary school.

Not just acing but award-worthy educational success.

She was so good that at her Junior Secondary 3 (JSS 3) level, she was solving mathematical problems from Senior Secondary 1 & 2 (SS 1 & 2) curriculum.

1st Mistake

She loved Maths & computers but was admitted into the university to study Geology.

Today, she still thinks she would have been a computer/statistics wizard if she'd been allowed to just study Math or Computer Engineering. You know - subjects where she doesn't have to always cram some qualitative garbage but provide quantitative solutions.

2nd Mistake

When she got into the university, she realized she didn't have to study very hard. Very few people were bothering to anyway. She was extremely smart & could hold her own but it became easier to combine intellectual efforts with other students at assignments, tests & final exams.

The system allowed it.

All her friends did it so, why fight it?

3rd Mistake

While at school, no one ever taught her how to write a résumé or successfully approach interviews.

She, just like everyone around her wanted a good life but the system pretty much set them up to fail.

When she graduated, she met a professional at an international oil & gas company who asked her what she wanted to do in life & to explain her undergraduate degree experience but she was not prepared for that.

She gave answers which were weak, mostly incoherent, lacked precision or clarity.

She'd never thought of herself in that light.

The internet wasn't readily accessible back then so she was pretty much left on her own with her fellow ignorant peers.

She also had a great & supportive family who she leaned on.

Luckily for her, she got some mentors, then left the country for her masters degree.

At 1st, she struggled at her Canadian university.

Correcting her 2nd mistake

She had to actually learn all those skills & resources she didn't bother with back in Nigeria due to combined students’ efforts.

She had to read all those textbooks she never bothered with in her Nigerian university in order to excel at her program.

Correcting her 3rd mistake

She also met lecturers whose method of teaching was about empowering students to run with their ideas.

It wasn't about multiple choice questions but making a case of why Case A is better/worse than Case B.

It made her actually think for the 1st time in her life. She learned how to make great presentations. It was a confidence boost. It was exhilarating!

She learned about plagiarism which is a very despicable thing. She also learned about self-development, professional development & presentations.

She learned it was ok to make decisions, make mistakes & then learn from them.

She became comfortable working alone & also with a team. She learned the power of independence.

She was a different person.

She became more confident about her thoughts & ideas. No one laughs at her mistakes nor condemns her for them.

Her bosses don't care about always being right or barking orders at those under them. Team contributions is crucial, encouraged & needed.

Everybody is equal. No one feared anyone. It was a healthy environment. She was valued. She freely runs her program the way she sees fit.

This is a story of a lady I read on quora.

there's no correcting my 1st mistake, she said. If I ever do, I'll tell a story about it.

Her First Mistake was her greatest mistake which she believed cannot be corrected or at least had been so late given her achievements and age. While I see her reasons, I'm inclined to say swiftly that some have been there and were able to find themselves back to their dreams. If you asked them how they were able to do that, they would say, well we realized that it's never too late to do or not do anything so we retraced our steps back from where we started our journey. It's simple but it takes COURAGE! You on the other hand now have the privilege to change and reshape your future, and embrace your passion for the better before you term it as being "too late", Why don't you take it? What could be more important? Don't you know that realising your passion at this stage is an opportunity which will bring open doors. Chimamanda would say "just try", so why don't you try.

If you read this, you'd understand how the Nigerian system encourages laziness & might discourage talent because of envy, pride and incompetent scholars.

Many Nigerian graduates are victims of their own underdeveloped & redundant society.

Pascal, Assembly language, VB and Fortran didn't help us because they were outdated even before we began our journey so don't find comfort in them. Strive to acquire new trends and you will never regret taking this bold step.

Maybe with the internet, a few might self-improve. Otherwise, they're unemployable because there's very few competent people to teach and direct them better.

Note to any Nigerian student reading this - don't take the easy way out. Read not just to pass your examinations but to actually know and don't rely on only what you are being thought in college.

You'd be truly a better person & student for it.

Good luck

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by MobilityExpress: 11:32am On Oct 17, 2018
Computer Science, major in programming / software development, minor in information systems / e-commerce!!! Thank me later.
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 17, 2018
me wen dy Computer Education I dy regret my life

so stay in ur mech engineering
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by jaxxy(m): 11:38am On Oct 17, 2018
Gauss15:

At 1st I thought u were going in circles and confusing urself bt now I get ur dilemma. Mech Engr isn’t giving u the courses and knowledge base u need to prepare u for Robotics so u want to force urself to borrow elect/elect courses or study computer science? Truth is computer science can always be learnt even after school much easier than Mech/elect engr so try to stick to any format/formula that will get u a 1st class. That’s all.

I wud have said u shud have studied elect/elect since robotics tho bt that’s not possible anymore.

1 Like

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by obonujoker(m): 11:45am On Oct 17, 2018
jesmond3945:
what do you think is even computer science? Computer science is beyond your hp laptop, i hope you know.

you dare compare computer science with Mechanical Engineering??

1 Like

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Gauss15(m): 12:01pm On Oct 17, 2018
Johnbosco1:
I'll tell you a story.

There's this girl who aced all her subjects in secondary school.

Not just acing but award-worthy educational success.

She was so good that at her Junior Secondary 3 (JSS 3) level, she was solving mathematical problems from Senior Secondary 1 & 2 (SS 1 & 2) curriculum.

1st Mistake

She loved Maths & computers but was admitted into the university to study Geology.

Today, she still thinks she would have been a computer/statistics wizard if she'd been allowed to just study Math or Computer Engineering. You know - subjects where she doesn't have to always cram some qualitative garbage but provide quantitative solutions.

2nd Mistake

When she got into the university, she realized she didn't have to study very hard. Very few people were bothering to anyway. She was extremely smart & could hold her own but it became easier to combine intellectual efforts with other students at assignments, tests & final exams.

The system allowed it.

All her friends did it so, why fight it?

3rd Mistake

While at school, no one ever taught her how to write a résumé or successfully approach interviews.

She, just like everyone around her wanted a good life but the system pretty much set them up to fail.

When she graduated, she met a professional at an international oil & gas company who asked her what she wanted to do in life & to explain her undergraduate degree experience but she was not prepared for that.

She gave answers which were weak, mostly incoherent, lacked precision or clarity.

She'd never thought of herself in that light.

The internet wasn't readily accessible back then so she was pretty much left on her own with her fellow ignorant peers.

She also had a great & supportive family who she leaned on.

Luckily for her, she got some mentors, then left the country for her masters degree.

At 1st, she struggled at her Canadian university.

Correcting her 2nd mistake

She had to actually learn all those skills & resources she didn't bother with back in Nigeria due to combined students’ efforts.

She had to read all those textbooks she never bothered with in her Nigerian university in order to excel at her program.

Correcting her 3rd mistake

She also met lecturers whose method of teaching was about empowering students to run with their ideas.

It wasn't about multiple choice questions but making a case of why Case A is better/worse than Case B.

It made her actually think for the 1st time in her life. She learned how to make great presentations. It was a confidence boost. It was exhilarating!

She learned about plagiarism which is a very despicable thing. She also learned about self-development, professional development & presentations.

She learned it was ok to make decisions, make mistakes & then learn from them.

She became comfortable working alone & also with a team. She learned the power of independence.

She was a different person.

She became more confident about her thoughts & ideas. No one laughs at her mistakes nor condemns her for them.

Her bosses don't care about always being right or barking orders at those under them. Team contributions is crucial, encouraged & needed.

Everybody is equal. No one feared anyone. It was a healthy environment. She was valued. She freely runs her program the way she sees fit.

This is a story of a lady I read on quora.

there's no correcting my 1st mistake, she said. If I ever do, I'll tell a story about it.

Her First Mistake was her greatest mistake which she believed cannot be corrected or at least had been so late given her achievements and age. While I see her reasons, I'm inclined to say swiftly that some have been there and were able to find themselves back to their dreams. If you asked them how they were able to do that, they would say, well we realized that it's never too late to do or not do anything so we retraced our steps back from where we started our journey. It's simple but it takes COURAGE! You on the other hand now has the privilege to change and reshape your future, and embrace your passion for the better before you term it as being "too late", Why don't you take it? What could be more important? Don't you know that realising your passion at this stage is an opportunity which will bring open doors. Chimamanda would say "just try", so why don't you try.

If you read this, you'd understand how the Nigerian system encourages laziness & might discourage talent because of envy, pride and incompetent scholars.

Many Nigerian graduates are victims of their own underdeveloped & redundant society.

Pascal, Assembly language, VB and Fortran didn't help us because they were outdated even before we began our journey so don't find comfort in them. Strive to acquire new trends and you will never regret taking this bold step.

Maybe with the internet, a few might self-improve. Otherwise, they're unemployable because there's very few competent people to teach and direct them better.

Note to any Nigerian student reading this - don't take the easy way out. Read not just to pass your examinations but to actually know and don't rely on only what you are being thought in college.

You'd be truly a better person & student for it.

Good luck

Thanks so much. This really made my day!

1 Like

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by darealez(m): 12:02pm On Oct 17, 2018
chloride6:
Guy,

If you love computer science study it as a side interest.

Job prospect for Mech Engineering are higher than Co sci in Nigeria. Y

Especially with our oil and gas industrry. You may or may not get a job in the oil and gas/manufacturing yindustry but i suggest you cross that bride when you get there.

Hope your grades are still in 2.1 range?

Very very important abeg.

A dont need a degree in co. sci to get a co. sci job, but no one will hire a co.sci to do the job of a mech engr.

You are not in the US, Apply Sense abeg.
We shall get there soon!

@op a computer science degree isn't about programming. There's prospect of definition to development in severe regards. You think you're loaded, go for computer science.

1 Like

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by nNEOo(m): 12:07pm On Oct 17, 2018
Gspotlicker:
f never switch any shit to computer science besides programming is what you can learn in six months and apply for a certificate.. I am a programmer back then my tutor told me that learning computer science is a waste of time I remember him telling me when he graduated he knew nothing about programming (Nigerian universities are the worst to learn cs) search for a thread name my regretful bsc I won't want you to regret after wasting four years I won't say much so I stop here

You're the only one who's talking,the rest (as expected) are just making noise.

Cs in Nigeria Funis is a bloody waste of time n energy, programming is not something one should waste four yrs learning histories n jargons with little practical knowledge.

Am in MCB learning Web dev on my own n am getting even better within jus a semester.(second part would be in app dev) before I graduate I hope to be better than many of the Cs students in my school.

If am to employ a programmer, I'll never employ any one who spent 5yrs in our F.uni learning CS.
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by justmi1: 12:08pm On Oct 17, 2018
Mechanical devices are now being controlled by software programs... well you can study mechanical engineering and still learning coding cos that's what computer science is about

1 Like

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Shikena(m): 12:16pm On Oct 17, 2018
Kill two birds with one stone. Get your engineering degree and still follow your coding dream. Win win situation.
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by dometome: 12:18pm On Oct 17, 2018
I still wonder what people are doing in the glorified secondary schools aka universities in Nigeria, you have Skillshare.com, Udemy.com, youtube.com etc.
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by zesh(m): 12:34pm On Oct 17, 2018
Try to keep up with the mech engr. And also keep improving yourself in the comp. Skills you av.
At the end , you love robotics ; you can use both skills to start building one.
You are very lucky man
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by ponti93(m): 12:48pm On Oct 17, 2018
Do you know that mark Zuckerberg studied computer science at Harvard cool

1 Like

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by martinsaba: 1:18pm On Oct 17, 2018
Gauss15:

If you what is good for you, remain in mech eng and finish, MSC in mechatronics, system eng or industrial eng and management, with a professional/practical course in automation you are will be ruling the world in terms of tech. With mechanical eng degree you can still further with robotics, embedded systems and nano science, these 4 courses are raking in million s for ppl outside Nigeria right now.
Don't do the mistake I did, I switched to industrial Physics which is not far from mech, right now, I am hustling to go for MSC in mechatronics.
I wish I remained where I was
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 17, 2018
These should be around the two most marketable, but I think computer is more progressive
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by mildflame: 1:22pm On Oct 17, 2018
chloride6:
Guy,

Job prospect for Mech Engineering are higher than Co sci in Nigeria.

Especially with our oil and gas industrry. You may or may not get a job in the oil and gas/manufacturing industry but i suggest you cross that bride when you get there.

A dont need a degree in co. sci to get a co. sci job, but no one will hire a co.sci to do the job of a mech engr.

NONSENSE ......
Be it in NIGERIA or anywhere computer science is king the best being you be on your own, but the drill you will get in learning ME will help you to go into computer science with much ease. FORGET OIL companies, eneu IT experts in the Oil industry are getting well paid than the ME counterparts and they do the dirty jobs. COMPUTER will expand your horizon compare to ME

1 Like

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by samuelchimmy(m): 1:53pm On Oct 17, 2018
femi4:
best advice yet.... These days anybody can get a degree in com sci.
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Fadman4real(m): 2:26pm On Oct 17, 2018
chloride6:
Guy,

Job prospect for Mech Engineering are higher than Co sci in Nigeria.

Especially with our oil and gas industrry. You may or may not get a job in the oil and gas/manufacturing industry but i suggest you cross that bride when you get there.

This has got to be a joke right. Can you mention one industry in the world today that doesnt need computer scientists? at the rate it is going we would have more computer scientists in banks than accountants.

Oil and gas industry that is going through a recession stage in Nigeria or is there another gas and oil industry that I do not know about. How many graduates do they employ every year and compare that with the computing industry. I have friends back home who change jobs like it is water, same thing where I am currently. The world is moving completely to technology, the age of mechanical engineering has come and gone. we are moving into robotics and artificial intelligence.

As for the topic of discussion my advice for you is to follow your dream if you wish to study robotics then do not look at the time it would take for you to graduate and switch as soon as possible. it is better to spend an extra year than to spend the rest of your life regretting a decision you took.

3 Likes

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by akoko11: 3:40pm On Oct 17, 2018
Gauss15:

in my own candid opinion, I will advise you switch to EEE. M&E rule the industry
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by being(m): 4:08pm On Oct 17, 2018
What's your sch?
Finish the mechanical degree but start learning software development on your own and be very good at it.
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by 23Tunde45(m): 4:36pm On Oct 17, 2018
I think you should finish your mechanical Engineering since you are actually good at it, and try to regain your first class. Then, you can do masters in Computer Science.

Based on my brothers life, my Brother schooled in a Naija University. At first, he wanted to do Electrical Engineering because my Dad was an Engineer but he didn’t make the cut-off mark so he moved to Geoinformatics and Survey which I guess is a Geology related course. He wanted to switch to Computer Science but his department refused to sign his papers simply because they had few students in their dapartment department so they wanted him to stay. Eventually, he graduated with 2:2 in Geoinformatics and Surveying.

However, he didn’t give up on Computer Science, he continued to self teach himself some programming languages like Visual Basic and C#. He tried to create some app that would ease transportation experience in Lagos but he didn’t finish it. Anyway, he applied for a Job in Nigeria and actually got one with a pay of N100k per month. They probably gave him the Job based on his previous Geoinformatics and Surveying internship work experience in a reputable oil company in Naija and his previous projects like the transportation app. He even became a team leader under one year. The next year, he resigned and travelled to the US to do his masters in Computer Science and if you can remember, he never learnt Computer Science in Univeristy or any technical school.

While in the US doing his masters, he got an internship job that was about $40k a year but he did internship for only one semester and graduated after the following semester. He got a job about 4-6 months later and his currently working with an annual pay of $100k.

So, you can continue your Mechanical Engineering which is even more related to Computer Science than Geoinformatics and Surveying. Try to regain interest in the courses you have left so that you can regain your A+ status, then apply for scholarships to study Masters in Computer Science: Robotics. I believe you’ll go far in life with such combo; Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering and Masters in Robotics.

I hope this makes sense and it’s helpful. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by kayc0(f): 4:44pm On Oct 17, 2018
G

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Should I Drop Out Or Not? / Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back / What Will You Do If This Happens In Your Place Of Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.