Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,719 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering (10347 Views)

Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? / Mechanical Engineering Or Geophysics / Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by VoltageDivida(m): 8:23am On Mar 21, 2022
Good day great Nairalanders,
Please I need your advice on this.

After years of searching for a job as an Electrical and Electronics Engineering graduate, I finally got an internship role in a telecoms company that is basically into power in telecoms.

Now, my internship is about coming to an end, and I'm not too sure of retainment (even if I'm retained, power isn't really my passion). So I'm looking for a training/certification that I can do that will enable me get a better job as soon as I'm done with the internship.

After some research and deep self examination, two programs in different sectors standout to me. They are;
I. Solar PV Engineering, and
II. BTS/BSS FM engineering (telecoms)

I want to do the the solar training cos renewable energy has always been my passion from school days and I see it as an emerging industry that is going to hit big in the near future, hence I want to be part of it.

I choose the telecoms cos each time I see those equipments on site, they always arouse my curiosity. I want to know more about what they do and how to install and configure them. Also the telecommunications industry is huge, so I feel there are more jobs here.

Which of these two do you think I should go for and why?
Which do you think can help me get a job easily?
And which sector do you think pays better?

I will truly appreciate your advice as you help a poor brother beat unemployment and poverty.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by padi94(m): 8:25am On Mar 21, 2022
Why not run both... But prioritise one first

3 Likes

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by VoltageDivida(m): 8:38am On Mar 21, 2022
padi94:
Why not run both... But prioritise one first

I would love to do that but finance is a major constraint. Each costs over a 150k.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by CTee1: 2:52pm On Mar 21, 2022
Ok
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by nedubrazil111(m): 2:52pm On Mar 21, 2022
ok
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by xeratek: 2:52pm On Mar 21, 2022
Solar

1 Like

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by ednut1(m): 2:53pm On Mar 21, 2022
Shey you no go enter banking or auditing so.

1 Like

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by iamyemiakins(m): 2:53pm On Mar 21, 2022
Telecoms Engineering.

You'll have better scopes there.

1 Like

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Tonymegabush1(m): 2:53pm On Mar 21, 2022
I will chose telecommunication although as a solar engineer you start up your firm unless telecommunication where you need to work for telecommunication companies.. knowing that already I will still chose telecommunications.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Akwamkpuruamu: 2:53pm On Mar 21, 2022
Solar oooo

1 Like

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Alusiizizi(m): 2:53pm On Mar 21, 2022
VoltageDivida:
Good day great Nairalanders,

After years of searching for a job as an Electrical and Electronics Engineering graduate, I finally got an internship role in a telecoms company that is basically into power in telecoms.

Now, my internship is about coming to an end, and I'm not too sure of retainment (even if I'm retained, power isn't really my passion). So I'm looking for a training/certification that I can do that will enable me get a better job as soon as I'm done with the internship.

After some research and deep self examination, two programs in different sectors standout to me. They are;
I. Solar PV Engineering, and
II. BTS/BSS FM engineering (telecoms)

I want to do the the solar training cos renewable energy has always been my passion from school days and I see it as an emerging industry that is going to hit big in the near future, hence I want to be part of it.

I choose the telecoms cos each time I see those equipments on site, they always arouse my curiosity. I want to know more about what they do and how to install and configure them. Also the telecommunications industry is huge, so I feel there are more jobs here.

Which of these two do you think I should go for and why?
Which do you think can help me get a job easily?
And which sector do you think pays better?

I will truly appreciate your advice as you help a poor brother beat unemployment and poverty.

What is "solar engineering"?

2 Likes

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by saintbillion(m): 2:53pm On Mar 21, 2022
Go and learn agriculture

2 Likes

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by dynicks(m): 2:54pm On Mar 21, 2022
grin
laurelsex:
cool
carry your sure bet go help your community people.....No dey disturb us for here!!

Rukewe!!...hold the guy for preeq!!...press'am make e pain'am!! So that next time, he won't think of spamming a reasonable thread

11 Likes

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Enddy50ty(m): 2:54pm On Mar 21, 2022
Following..
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by tiswell(m): 2:54pm On Mar 21, 2022
you would soon get a job and start bribery and corruption inherent in an average Nigerian sad
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:54pm On Mar 21, 2022
nedubrazil111:
I don’t have an idea
saintbillion:
Go and learn agriculture
ednut1:
Shey you no go enter banking or auditing so.
Why can't you guys just keep silent and let people that have the answers to the OP's question answer him?

This is what you can never find on other forums abroad.

Good thread.
In some other forums abroad like quora etc, you will only see people that the topic of discussion concerns making comments on the topic, commenting and giving their views and opinions,
But for our darling nation, na people wey no know anything about the topic of discussion go dey comment upanda, disturbing the cyberspace with irrelevant rubbish that the 'main' people won't have any space to make their reasonable contributions....

People keep silent and learn from the engineers involved..but for our ogbonge nairaland.com, you people can't resist commenting rubbish.
Na wa for una o.
Engineers in the building, come help out this brother please.

We Rise.

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by WhizdomXX(m): 2:54pm On Mar 21, 2022
G
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by ecolime(m): 2:54pm On Mar 21, 2022
Lets do justice to it with a simple Poll

Like for Telecoms Engr.

Share for Solar Engr

25 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Moutine(m): 2:55pm On Mar 21, 2022
Solar
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by WhizdomXX(m): 2:55pm On Mar 21, 2022
Solar Engineering may bring after cash but in the long run. Hmmm
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by WhizdomXX(m): 2:56pm On Mar 21, 2022
Solar Engineering may bring in fast cash but in the long run. Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:56pm On Mar 21, 2022
tiswell:
you would soon get a job and start bribery and corruption inherent in an average Nigerian sad
Negativity online 24/7.
But when do you have time to be happy or positive once in day?
Very negative energy/vibes from morning till nite.
People dey o.
Sho! shocked

Butterpie123:
I would advise you choose solar over telecom because I don't think you can stand the heat of working with the Chinese. Though working in BTS would be nice but telecom in Nigeria is no longer what it used to be.

My little cent:
Your one cent is definitely appreciated.
Thanks for your contribution Butters! kiss

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by kennynelcon(m): 2:56pm On Mar 21, 2022
These two can be capital intensive, FM on the long run might get you a spot in as a Network Optimization Engineer, can you ever run random optimization without an operator ?
I would assume you(plan) working with IPT PowerTech or IHS grin

Else you want to publish paper smiley

You can consider Cloud Engineering Certifications or Some other Software Engineering disciplines, here you can easily up scale, earn better and easily get roles.
In short you don't even need a cert to get into Telecom in Nigeria grin

But in all, I will recommend you ask your Creator to direct your path.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Giffted(m): 2:56pm On Mar 21, 2022
Telecom sure o..
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by iamjean(m): 2:57pm On Mar 21, 2022
The best option you have right now as a Nigerian is to apply for a master's degree in UK!!
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by xtocom: 2:58pm On Mar 21, 2022
I think you already know the answer to your question. Anyway, best of luck in any of your choices.
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Butterpie123: 3:00pm On Mar 21, 2022
I would advise you choose solar over telecom because I don't think you can stand the heat of working with the Chinese. Though working in BTS would be nice but telecom in Nigeria is no longer what it used to be.

My little cent:

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. / What's The Most Polite Way To Ask For The Payment Of Your Salary? / Nigerian Army 75RRI Shortlisted Candidates 2016/2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.