Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,185 members, 7,818,595 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back (13325 Views)

Top 5 Ways To Help Build Up Your Self Respect At Work / Tope Omage: A Woman Who Wants To Go Far Should Respect Her Husband / How To Earn The Respect Of Your Employer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by Bonejr(m): 9:56am On Oct 20, 2016
We live in a situation today where students disrespect their teachers. Tap any teacher today and let him pour his heart out of crisis they will tell you different stories in which disrespect is very common now, they will also tell you their fears on what will happen tomorrow.
You and I have heard many stories where teachers are being attacked physically or psychologically. Teachers are now being attacked from every angle. Imagine a teachers’ vehicle being destroyed by his students in a school, imagine a teachers’ motorcycle being broken with pierced tyres, the story continued so on and so on. . .
Just like the saying “When you cannot change a situation you are challenged to change yourself”, what can you do as a teacher in this era how can you earn respect, how can you take yourself back to the glory days?
Like the way I love it, am going to be as brief as possible. I don’t have to convince with several points that respect is earned not gained. The following experimented points of mine could help teachers earned respect:
1. Know yourself- as a teacher you need to know who you are, know your value and responsibilities, master your area of speciality (know what you are teaching very well), respect your senior teachers. Be your students star or celebrity, let them see you as their model.
2. Communication- this is an important tool of a teacher, the success of your work on a teacher depends on how well you can communicate. Do not create a wider communication gap between you and your students, know your students very well (including their nature, level of experience and background). Do not communicate any bad or condescending remarks on your students. My teacher once told us that communication between the junior and senior is successful when the senior come down to the level of the junior so that they can move on the same pace.
3. Fairness- this means as a teacher give every student of yours equal attention and treatment. Let every member of your students know they are important to you that their success is all your pleasure, this will create confidence in the mind of your students.
4. Reformative punishment- as violent physical punishment is now being wiped in our schools. But how do we punish them? Before you punish any student of yours let him know that he has committed an offence, let his colleagues also know it. The next thing you can do is either to reprimand him, admonish him or punish him. One they know they have wronged they will accept punishment and will try to avoid it next time.
5. Modesty- as a teacher it is duty to display modesty and a good conduct, why because you mould the character of your students. Imagine you are telling them the right thing but you are not doing right. Avoid any situation of accusation. You are the guardian of your students their moral protection. Try to avoid single interaction especially with female students, interact either with the group or the whole class.

27 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by simplemach(m): 6:27am On Oct 22, 2016
God bless my teachers, especially those that coached me from my nursery to my secondary school days. May God bless them for me wherever they are now. As for the ones I meet now, they just give me notes to use either by jotting or by photocopy or even buying in some cases. No moral impacts.

4 Likes

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by NDprudent(m): 6:29am On Oct 22, 2016
Nice write up

Most of our teachers don't know that they have the most influence on their students (after the parents), sometimes even more than parents, and they misuse that influence wen they come to school looking dirty and unkempt, some of them don't even know what dey teach (they just read through text books and convert any question thrown to them to an assignment).

U'll be so respected by your students if u are neat, friendly, and able to pass knowledge to them.

6 Likes

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by bunmat007: 6:29am On Oct 22, 2016
okay I hear
Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by agulion: 6:29am On Oct 22, 2016
abeg we the talk of recession you the talk of respect

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by Bizzyliss(m): 6:30am On Oct 22, 2016
Ok
Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by Jinyjagz(m): 6:30am On Oct 22, 2016
well said

1 Like

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by Robinhood477: 6:30am On Oct 22, 2016
nice one

1 Like

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by slyger: 6:31am On Oct 22, 2016
this is truely correct!! i concur!!

these are the kind of materials meant to hit front page.

2 Likes

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by ijay18: 6:31am On Oct 22, 2016
Some teachers are kinda cruel ...

2 Likes

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by younghartz(m): 6:31am On Oct 22, 2016
Not in public schools
Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by masbell(m): 6:31am On Oct 22, 2016
Nice post

1 Like

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by slyger: 6:32am On Oct 22, 2016
agulion:
abeg we the talk of recession you the talk of respect

common sense is not common..

1 Like

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by ezechueze(m): 6:33am On Oct 22, 2016
OK
Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by ExAngel007(f): 6:34am On Oct 22, 2016
okay
Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by Pinocchioo(f): 6:34am On Oct 22, 2016
This would really be helpful.

1 Like

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by pol23: 6:34am On Oct 22, 2016
Don't vote in dullard and yeye politicians.
Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by Robinhood477: 6:35am On Oct 22, 2016
how can we respect this guy buhari as our President.

1 Like

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by Mikolex(m): 6:35am On Oct 22, 2016
Nice write up........... proud 2 be a teacher

2 Likes

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by Pinocchioo(f): 6:36am On Oct 22, 2016
slyger:

common sense is not common..

Bros, u deserve a chilled bottle of origin in my name. that should be when the sun is directly on top of u, not now

1 Like

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by theophorus(m): 6:36am On Oct 22, 2016
...@Op. I think you should also define the school in focus I.e Public/Private...

Though your points are good.

Let me add

1. Teacher should respect themselves by carrying themselves with dignity.

2. Parents should also respect teachers and never insult teachers in the presence of their kids.

3. Owners and Management of private schools should treat their teachers as assets...

NB: Teacher in Nigeria (especially private schools) are seemingly Disrespected by both Parents and Employer.

#MyOpinion.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by LovesonBlezz(m): 6:39am On Oct 22, 2016

1 Like

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by orlarbissy(f): 6:39am On Oct 22, 2016
Only in private school dis works
Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by Princy13: 6:41am On Oct 22, 2016
Abeg,so long as their salary remains untouched and is regularly paid they should be satisfied.so long as the disrespect never leads to violence they should be okay.In most cases teachers get attacked they are the architect

Who dey tok about respect nah when we facing a lotta problems in the country.

Ffuckk respect.
Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by Sixkobo(f): 6:45am On Oct 22, 2016
Nice one
Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by honest1480(m): 6:45am On Oct 22, 2016
Nice advice to the noble teachers. Some of the male teachers miss out in their respect before the students by turning themselves into 'runs men' and be disturbing every beautiful girl in their classes or in the school at large.

1 Like

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by searay(m): 6:56am On Oct 22, 2016
Which school will the above write up be applicable? Private or Community Comprehensive Commercial School?
In my school, Students are fully kitted with their pistol and knives. The best way is to avoid them, teach your subject, hail them and go your way.

1 Like

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by Nobody: 7:00am On Oct 22, 2016
1)Don't laugh too much with your students.
2)Dress maturely.
3)Be firm in any decision you take in class.
4)Don't be bias or unfair.
5)Don't engage in fight or heated argument with the students

From an educationist.

8 Likes

Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by Goldenheart(m): 7:09am On Oct 22, 2016
grin
Re: Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back by Rapmoney(m): 7:25am On Oct 22, 2016
Most people don't like commenting on educative threads such as this. If it were to be "Halima Abubakar Pours Out Her Massive Ass In Skin-Tight Dress", this thread would have gotten to page 7!!! SMH!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Meet Your Heroes And Get Them To Partner With You In Career / What Are Your Experience Working With Indian Managers / Which Is Better, Handwork Or Salary Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.