Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,987 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:22 PM

Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats (20851 Views)

Cristiano Ronaldo: Why Portuguese Superstar Nearly Quit Football / Chelsea Keeper Edouard Mendy Reveals He Nearly Quit Football While On Dole / Nigeria Hero Odion Ighalo Nearly Quit After Death Threats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by naptu2: 9:42am On Oct 17, 2018
Exclusive: Nigeria hero Odion Ighalo nearly quit after death threats

COLIN UDOH West Africa Editor, Kwesé ESPN

SFAX, Tunisia -- It was a long and nightmarish northern summer for Nigeria striker Odion Ighalo, who has rebounded to not only top of the scoring list in these Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers, but worm his way back into the hearts of Super Eagles fans.

After a dire World Cup campaign, where he was roundly blamed for the defeat to Argentina that saw the Africans crash out of the tournament, he's gone on to score five goals in two qualifier games against Libya.

Scoring a hat-trick, he heard his name sung from the stands as he was subbed off after 75 minutes of the first game on the weekend. He was then serenaded by supporters in the second game on Tuesday, as he scored twice and provided one assist.

Beaming as he deflected personal praise in his first interview since the World Cup, the trademark Ighalo smile, which had been dimmed for months, flashed as he pointed to team effort instead.

"The team really worked hard, it is a good team performance and I am happy to score five goals in two games but it is an all-round performance and I am happy with the team performance.

"We are 99 per cent sealed the ticket to the Cup of Nations," he told KweséESPN in an exclusive interview in Sfax, Tunisia, where the second match was played.

But all of this nearly did not happen. Sitting down in the changing room of the Taieb Mhiri Stadium, Ighalo reflected on what has been a challenging last few months for him and his family.

For a fleeting moment, the ever-present smile turned wry, then retreated as Ighalo opened about on how he and his family -- including his children -- endured vitriolic abuse, and even received death threats on social media, after a World Cup performance where even he admitted he had not played up to his own high standards.

Things got so bad, Ighalo said, that he came this close to packing it all in.

"I know the fans want me to score goals. I understand them," the China-based striker said. "But some of them took it to another level.

"They said a lot of things. To my innocent kids, to my wife, even to the extent they threatened my life and the life of my family."

Despite trying to remain above it all and not respond to critics, he was deeply hurt by the attacks on his family, especially his children.

"I felt very bad [when they went after my family]. I had to talk to my wife because she could not take it. Some words they said about my kids, about me. Some words they said to her, threatening and all that. That is beyond football.

"You know women and how they react when you talk about their children. But I never said a word to nobody and I never replied anybody."

He did not have to take any action to protect his family, as they live in England while he plays in China for Changchun Yatai. But with all of that going on, it was only natural that the forward wanted to quit, especially when his wife advised him to.

"My wife said 'you don't have to go there [to Nigeria] any more' and it was because of all what they said to her and to our family."

It took national team coach Gernot Rohr's intervention to convince Ighalo to come back and suit up in green and white again.

Ighalo explained: "I want to thank Rohr because after the World Cup and all those things happened, he called me before the Seychelles game [in September] and I told him I was contemplating stopping because it is not easy.

"But the coach had belief in me. He said 'I know you are a good goalscorer and I know you can do it. Come and show them that you can score.'

"If a coach believes in me, then I will come. I told hm 'coach, if I am in your plans hundred percent then I will honour the invitation any time you call me.'

"He said 'yes, you you are in my plans for the games'. Then he said 'don't be under pressure, just go do your thing, I know you can do it.'

"That gave me the confidence which I believed that I needed. I want to thank him for defending me, and giving me the words like a father, encouraging me, talking to me. He gave me more belief and I thank God for repaying him with these goals."

Ighalo has since disabled comments on his Instagram account, where he is still active, and rarely appears in front of the media. And he has no intention of changing that decision anytime soon.

So does he feel like he has proven all those doubters wrong?

"I am not trying to prove anybody wrong," he said. "I am just trying to work hard for my country and I always give hundred percent.

"Unfortunately, it didn't happen the way I wanted it at the World Cup. But life did not end there. I went back to my club, and I continued my game.

"Now I am back here to play for my country. I just want to give hundred percent whenever I play, goal or no goal. As long as the team wins, I am satisfied."

Nigeria's next Afcon qualifier is against South Africa on 16 November.

http://kwese.espn.com/football/nigeria/story/3671428/nigeria-hero-ighalo-nearly-quit-after-death-threats?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

7 Likes

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by Mariangeles(f): 9:47am On Oct 17, 2018
It is so sad to know how low people can go...and they're wondering why Victor Moses quit the national team undecided

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by Humblega(m): 9:50am On Oct 17, 2018
To Ighalo: Every successful people have such stories. They almost quit before gotten it right. Mark Zuckerberg almost quit because of lack of fund, Messi was at a point carrying boot bags for players, jack ma said he almost committed suicide. So relax tomorrow will surely b beta dan today.

To Nigeria team fans: football is meant to to entertainment just like film, music and co. Why death threat because of a misfortune in a match. Perhaps, 32 teams Were in the world cup and only 1 team won 1st. Some are eliminated bcs of mistake of 1 or 2 players Or coach.....so no big thing

To me:

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by famousroland(m): 9:50am On Oct 17, 2018
The most important thing is that the goals are beginning to come and he's reacting to critics positively, i wish Morata could do the Same...
One love Nigeria...

9 Likes

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by Sirheny007(m): 9:50am On Oct 17, 2018
Lol.
This should serve as a deterrent to other Nigerian footballers.
That miss from Ighalo was unacceptable.
Dont you go taking chances. You are paid to score goals, not waste them.

Pity Yakubu Aiyegbeni escaped this. grin
Thankfully, Ighalo has learnt his lessons. He's currently on fire. 5 goals in 2 games!

Boy! A feat messi can never achieve for his country. grin grin grin

Mariangeles:
It is so sad to know how low people can go...and they're wondering why Victor Moses quit the national team undecided

Moses na Akamu case. His Pride will kill him.
Thankfully, Sarri is 'Dealing' with him. grin grin
Our village people are deliberating his matter.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by Ezedon(m): 9:50am On Oct 17, 2018
It's not yet late
Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by spartan50(m): 9:51am On Oct 17, 2018
Nigerians channel your anger at Buhari let's send him back to his village

4 Likes

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 17, 2018
Thunder go faya whoever threatened you.. Be it the useless afonja or the flat headed ipob be it the parasitic aboki... Na thunder go faya whoever threatened you... What a useless country

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by cr7lomo: 9:52am On Oct 17, 2018
Ur goals against Libya can't equate ur aiyegbeni misses against Argentina in the world cup that wud hv given us our first victory against them and wud hv taken us to the next round

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by BruncleZuma: 9:52am On Oct 17, 2018
grin grin grin grin

Him lucky sef after all that tickets wen cut finish...

1 Like

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by Gauss15(m): 9:52am On Oct 17, 2018
https://www.nairaland.com/4792693/mechanical-engineering-computer-science#72161422

I need you guys' inputs here, please....

Help a nairalander make a decision.
Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by Gangster1ms: 9:52am On Oct 17, 2018
I've not still forgiven him.. world cup is the baba of all trophies. If u fvck up for that one u don fvck up for life

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by HarryDuce(m): 9:52am On Oct 17, 2018
Football can make people do things.

I hope it doesn't get that far. Sadists everywhere
Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by Realdeals(m): 9:53am On Oct 17, 2018
Well, if he didn't score, other will definitely do...
Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by Haphard(m): 9:53am On Oct 17, 2018
Death threats??
Just because he missed some couple of chances In a football match
If it happens to be true, that's bad

3 Likes

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by purpledove(m): 9:53am On Oct 17, 2018
Ehya... Well, i still dont care if u score 20 goals in 2 games.. Just be consistent
Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by moses93(m): 9:53am On Oct 17, 2018
pretty liar.
Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by xtravanganza: 9:53am On Oct 17, 2018
Odion... thanks a lot.. Nigerians are grateful. we support you anytime

3 Likes

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by FunkyAlhaji2015: 9:53am On Oct 17, 2018
From now onwards, anyone who speaks ill of Ighalo answers to me directly. His world cup sins has been forgiven

1 Like

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by Chizzyjoyce(f): 9:54am On Oct 17, 2018
It's APC's fault...
Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by dingbang(m): 9:54am On Oct 17, 2018
bad news.

please read my signature, thanks
Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by donbenie(m): 9:56am On Oct 17, 2018
ALL is Forgiven,go and sin no more..grin

4 Likes

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by destiny10: 9:57am On Oct 17, 2018
Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by buildup2(m): 9:57am On Oct 17, 2018
Wetin u don do for ur country b4? Person score 5 goals in 2matches u still dey beef am
Gangster1ms:
I've not still forgiven him.. world cup is the baba of all trophies. If u fvck up for that one u don fvck up for life

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by TheKingIsHere: 9:58am On Oct 17, 2018
We now know why Victor Moses quit the national team.

1 Like

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by kensing1046(m): 9:59am On Oct 17, 2018
even if u dont want play 4 nigeria d way V.moses did, they re still anoda player that is wating 4 dat opportunity to play, u re nt dat gud before self, so we dnt care.

Wen e don reach d tournament now u wil nt b able 2 score.

3 Likes

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by Triangles1(m): 9:59am On Oct 17, 2018
Poeple are praising him now bcs he killed ordinary Libya defense, I will praise him when we meet messi Argentina or Hazard Belgium. My advice to ighalo, always make sure you score when its needed most bcs Nigerian are quick in judging, especially when you fail, ask martins, emenike, uche and the rest

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by Gangster1ms: 10:00am On Oct 17, 2018
buildup2:
Wetin u don do for ur country b4? Person score 5 goals in 2matches u still dey beef am
That one no concern me! I'm still hurt about world cup and it will take forever to heal

3 Likes

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by enonche85(m): 10:01am On Oct 17, 2018
See a strong man who swallowed it all and came back to play for Nigeria. But Victor Moses chickened out and resigned from the Super Eagles not remembering how Nigerians defended him when the media wanted to rubbish him about his parents deaths.

3 Likes

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by Gangster1ms: 10:01am On Oct 17, 2018
Mariangeles:
Victor Moses na player? Someone that falls more than morata sef. Smh

6 Likes

Re: Ighalo Nearly Quit Eagles Due To Death Threats by Lordbooster(m): 10:01am On Oct 17, 2018

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Okowa Receives Super Eagles On First International Flight To Asaba / Saudi Arabia Ready To Suspend Its Alcohol Ban To Boost Its Bid To Host 2034 WC / Super Eagles Sing And Dance To Celebrate Cameroon Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.