Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,218 members, 7,836,063 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:11 PM

Rep Blames Corrupt Officials For Bad Roads ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rep Blames Corrupt Officials For Bad Roads ! (1654 Views)

Presidency Threatens To Punish Officials For Information Leakage / Umar Yakubu-Barde Recommends Amputation & Hanging For Corrupt Officials / (photos)ABA BAD Roads And People Suffering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rep Blames Corrupt Officials For Bad Roads ! by wales(m): 6:42am On Jul 15, 2010
The Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Usman Nafada, on Wednesday, accused the officials of the Federal Ministry of Works of colluding with road contractors to do poor jobs, saying it is the major reason why roads fail in the country. Mr Nafada spoke in Abuja at a public hearing on a bill sponsored by a suspended member of the House, Austin Nwachukwu (PDP, Imo) alongside 10 others for unruly behaviour on the floor and accusing the leadership of corruption.

The bill is titled, “A bill for an Act to Construct, Build and Maintain Roads and Erosion Projects for Five Years before Handing Over and Other Matters connected therewith.” Mr Nafada, who represented the Speaker, Dimeji Bankole at the hearing, said the ministry officials do not carry out proper on contractors executing government’s job and in most cases compromise standard for pecuniary gains.

Urgent need for action

“We need to do something on the state of our roads,” he said. “I don’t want to blame the construction companies, there are people supervising them. For a certificate of no objection to be raised, there is someone either in the ministry or FERMA that would have said the project was satisfactory. Fraudulent practices by these officials cause roads to fail.” The deputy speaker regretted that Nigeria spends more money on road than other African countries but still has more bad roads than those countries.

“The problem of Nigeria is corruption,” he said. “Neighbouring countries spend less than half of what Nigeria pay per kilometre for road construction, yet they get better roads produced for them at the end of the day. Roads in better clime are constructed to last for at least 30 years but roads in Nigeria hardy last two years before collapse. Some are even washed away before they are commissioned. This is not good enough but those saddled with the task of monitoring the stages of the construction up to finishing are in most cases part of the problem.”

He did not spare the foreign construction companies operating in Nigeria either. Mr Nafada accused accusing them of building substandard roads for Nigerians. “Foreign companies operating in Nigeria, you know the condition of roads in your country,” he said. “It is criminal for you to come here and build sub-standard roads that will not stand the test of time.” However, Mr Nafada applauded the efforts of the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency (FERMA), stating that the agency has been trying to improve the quality of the roads they construct.

The works minister, Sanusi Daggash blamed the state of the roads across the country on untimely and late releases of funds. He noted that the level of deficits incurred by government on road construction is high. He called for the establishment of a contingency fund to be domiciled in the Ministry of Works to deal with emergency maintenance works that are no budgeted for. The minister added that the operations of FERMA could be enhanced if the agency is given a free hand in choosing the roads to be maintained just as he demanded that the agency should be put on first line charge. Olumuyiwa Ajibola, who stood in for the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) blamed the state of the roads in the country on inadequate time for planning and design, imperfect system of contract award, lack of quality supervision, inadequate funding and contract administration and inappropriate usage of roads all contribute to putting the roads in a deplorable condition.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5594209-147/rep_blames_corrupt__officials_for.csp

Re: Rep Blames Corrupt Officials For Bad Roads ! by baslone: 11:26am On Jul 15, 2010
wales:

The works minister, Sanusi Daggash blamed the state of the roads across the country on untimely and late releases of funds.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5594209-147/rep_blames_corrupt__officials_for.csp

Why is it that this is always an excuse for every shoddy job!!
Re: Rep Blames Corrupt Officials For Bad Roads ! by 123jml: 12:12pm On Jul 15, 2010
What of Reps, were they not?
Re: Rep Blames Corrupt Officials For Bad Roads ! by wales(m): 12:15pm On Jul 15, 2010
Mr Nafada made a significant statement there "The problem of Nigeria is corruption" which is unarguably the reason for Nigeria's current undeveloped state after 50yrs of independence. It is only when the mentality of the common Nigerian 2wards money changes and corruption is eradicated from both the private n public sectors of the nation that we can start building to become 1 of the world's most developed. I wont say more than that.
Re: Rep Blames Corrupt Officials For Bad Roads ! by jamace(m): 12:52pm On Jul 15, 2010
Mr Nafada made a significant statement there "The problem of Nigeria is corruption" which is unarguably the reason for Nigeria's current undeveloped state after 50yrs of independence. It is only when the mentality of the common Nigerian 2wards money changes and corruption is eradicated from both the private n public sectors of the nation that we can start building to become 1 of the world's most developed. I wont say more than that.

So, it is the mentality of common Nigerians(masses) towars money that caused the corruption and underdevelopment of the country?
I don't think I read that right. Please, somebody confirm that highlighted statement for me.
Re: Rep Blames Corrupt Officials For Bad Roads ! by anonimi: 2:50pm On Jul 15, 2010
simply a case of pot calling kettle black.
reps who are swimming in corruption all over and earning salaries that is '000s times those of civil servants have no moral highround to accuse others of corruption.
but then, in naija where the citizens are "docile" everything and anything goes!!!
Re: Rep Blames Corrupt Officials For Bad Roads ! by kobikwelu(m): 2:58pm On Jul 15, 2010
oh gawd,

these jokers just manage to outdo each other every day with their myopic and inept statements /actions cry cry cry cry cry

this 1 just wake up one morning decide to open his mouth and spew garbage,

they (reps) are a disgrace

they should remove the kpako tongue tongue tongue tongue in their eyes before they can comment on corruption
Re: Rep Blames Corrupt Officials For Bad Roads ! by DoubleN(m): 4:06pm On Jul 15, 2010
And the finger pointing goes on and on while Nigeria continues to rot!
Re: Rep Blames Corrupt Officials For Bad Roads ! by Kobojunkie: 4:12pm On Jul 15, 2010
Every other month, we get this same excuse reason presented us. It is time we start telling the people giving us these excuses reasons they are the problem.
Re: Rep Blames Corrupt Officials For Bad Roads ! by Wilfem(m): 5:20pm On Jul 15, 2010
anonimi:

simply a case of pot calling kettle black.
reps who are swimming in corruption all over and earning salaries that is '000s times those of civil servants have no moral highround to accuse others of corruption.
but then, in naija where the citizens are "docile" everything and anything goes!!!

exactly POT CALLING KETTLE BLACK. NOOOOOOOOOONSEEEEEEEENSE
Re: Rep Blames Corrupt Officials For Bad Roads ! by Cohomology: 5:32pm On Jul 15, 2010
All the fools embezzling Nigeria's funds in the billions only exist because WE protect them.

The day that protection, from the very people they're robbing blind ceases, is the day our collective failures will begin to evaporate. Am I holding my breadth for such a day? Nope!
Re: Rep Blames Corrupt Officials For Bad Roads ! by ud4u: 10:02am On Jul 16, 2010
Can there be a capital purnishment for defaulters in other to avoid future excuses?
Re: Rep Blames Corrupt Officials For Bad Roads ! by anonimi: 3:26pm On Jul 17, 2010
Cohomology:

All the fools embezzling Nigeria's funds in the billions only exist because WE protect them.

The day that protection, from the very people they're robbing blind ceases, is the day our collective failures will begin to evaporate. Am I holding my breadth for such a day? Nope!

3 big gbosas for your post!!!
I hope more of us will realise this and spread the reasoning to others.
we need to ask questions of those who claim to represent us at local, state and federal levels.
Re: Rep Blames Corrupt Officials For Bad Roads ! by Riot5000: 7:50am On Jul 19, 2010
NIGERIA SIMPLY MAKES ME SICK.
Re: Rep Blames Corrupt Officials For Bad Roads ! by bidemi12(m): 10:08am On Jul 19, 2010
jamace:

So, it is the mentality of common Nigerians(masses) towars money that caused the corruption and underdevelopment of the country?
I don't think I read that right. Please, somebody confirm that highlighted statement for me.

I have read it and will confirm it. dont you realize that it is the same common nigerian that might one day become governor/president and if his mentality does not change towards finance/greed then we will all continue in this never ending circle.
Re: Rep Blames Corrupt Officials For Bad Roads ! by blackcypha(m): 2:38pm On Dec 19, 2010
anoda lame excuse,

(1) (Reply)

Old Couple Win $11 Million In Lottery / Top Ten "naija" Thug/agbero / BREAKING NEWS!! Crystal Lounge Abj Bombed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.