Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:49 AM

Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? (3566 Views)

9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make / Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers / Myths Or Facts: Are Car Fires Work Of The Village People Or Just Carelessness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by TPound(m): 11:28am On Oct 17, 2018
A client called me yesterday and told me he needed a 2009 Honda accord, first body, leather seats and chilling AC with a budget of 850k.
850k ooo!
Same price you can get a Honda discussion continue for.

I told him point blank to wait till the market value reaches that before he gets...

This had me wondering..
Why would clients dream of a Camry muscle but have a budget of a tiny light?

Fellow dealers and car owners, ever had this experience, please share

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by emmie14: 11:33am On Oct 17, 2018
TPound:
A client called me yesterday and told me he needed a 2009 Honda accord, first body, leather seats and chilling AC with a budget of 850k.
850k ooo!

I told him point blank to wait till the market value reaches that before he gets...

This had me wondering..
Why would clients dream of a Camry muscle but have a budget of a tiny light?

Fellow dealers and car owners, ever had this experience, please share
Is that attitude or poor bargain?
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by CarGuideNG: 11:34am On Oct 17, 2018
Human wants are often insatiable and unmatched by the ability to meet them.

However sometimes it's lack of adequate information, or outright misinformation that's to blame.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by TPound(m): 11:40am On Oct 17, 2018
emmie14:

Is that attitude or poor bargain?

I think it's the feeling of customers being always right
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by TPound(m): 11:43am On Oct 17, 2018
CarGuideNG:
Human wants are often insatiable and unmatched by the ability to meet them.

However sometimes it's lack of adequate information, or outright misinformation that's to blame.

I feel proper enlightenment out to have been in place before approaching the said dealer.

But despite enlightening the client yourself, some still go like... "a friend just got that same car for a lesser price, I just upped my budget to get one quickly".

1 Like

Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by Eddee(m): 12:27pm On Oct 17, 2018
TPound:
850k ooo!

Got my former car, an 07 DC (Nigerian used) for 1,050,000 some fifteen months ago.

So what is the current market rate for an 09/10 Evil Spirit?
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by TPound(m): 12:41pm On Oct 17, 2018
Eddee:

Got my former car, an 07 DC (Nigerian used) for 1,050,000 some fifteen months ago.

So what is the current market rate for an 09/10 Evil Spirit?

You could get for 1.3-1.4...depending on how clean it is
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by Eddee(m): 5:01pm On Oct 17, 2018
TPound:

You could get for 1.3-1.4...depending on how clean it is

Cheers. My old boy told me in explicit terms never to go with the hype for direct tokunbo vehicles. His reasoning is simple, the probability of finding a Nigerian used vehicle that has not been abused can be increased exponentially by paying a competent and trustworthy chap to carry out a PPI.

Since 2013, I've gone through an 03 Maxima 3.5 GLE, an 08 307 Peugeot (my best of the bunch), 02 Mercedes Benz Clk 230 Kompressor Coupe, and an 07 DC (most boring of the bunch).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by TPound(m): 6:35pm On Oct 17, 2018
Eddee:

Cheers. My old boy told me in explicit terms never to go with the hype for direct tokunbo vehicles. His reasoning is simple, the probability of finding a Nigerian used vehicle that has not been abused can be increased exponentially by paying a competent and trustworthy chap to carry out a PPI.

Since 2013, I've gone through an 03 Maxima 3.5 GLE, an 08 307 Peugeot (my best of the bunch), 02 Mercedes Benz Clk 230 Kompressor Coupe, and an 07 DC (most boring of the bunch).

So you prefer naija used to toks cars?
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by makavele: 6:49pm On Oct 17, 2018
TPound:

Dont mind him, na money issues dey make

person talk say drinking garri and eating fufu na the same cassava !!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by TPound(m): 6:53pm On Oct 17, 2018
makavele:

Dont mind him, na money issues dey make

person talk say drinking garri and eating fufu na the same cassava !!!

Please don't say that...

Preference is key.

What rocks his boat might sink yours

1 Like

Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by makavele: 7:09pm On Oct 17, 2018
TPound:

Please don't say that...

Preference is key.

What rocks his boat might sink yours

If he had a million dollars spare liquid cash, he wont even consider tokunbo, how much more naija used.

#justsaying
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by TPound(m): 7:27pm On Oct 17, 2018
makavele:

If he had a million dollars spare liquid cash, he wont even consider tokunbo, how much more naija used.

#justsaying

sad
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by oluwaseunla(m): 7:53pm On Oct 17, 2018
makavele:

#justsaying

Tpound might just be right o. Still had a discussion this evening where someone with 3.6 mil wanted to go for a Nigerian used car. I respect his preference, not just sure I will normally go that route.
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by TPound(m): 7:59pm On Oct 17, 2018
oluwaseunla:

Tpound might just be right o. Still had a discussion this evening where someone with 3.6 mil wanted to go for a Nigerian used car. I respect his preference, not just sure I will normally go that route.

Not all naija used cars are lemon cars... There are naija used cars that are much more highly maintained than a toks... The greater advantage of some toks over naija used cars is that it has never been registered... Most of the toks in the country are refurbished

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by oluwaseunla(m): 8:03pm On Oct 17, 2018
TPound:

Not all naija used cars are lemon cars... There are naija used cars that are much more highly maintained than a toks... The greater advantage of some toks over naija used cars is that it has never been registered... Most of the toks in the country are refurbished

Of course I know that. I'm only talking from the point of view of the average Nigerian. But issue is most Nigerians won't sell a car until it is actually giving issues, and that is where a pre purchase inspection comes in.
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by Eddee(m): 8:13pm On Oct 17, 2018
TPound:

Naija used wer we never abuse o! I spend between 5-10% of the total amount i buy a car on PPI

1 Like

Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by Eddee(m): 8:18pm On Oct 17, 2018
makavele:

#justsaying

My brother I am not bragging but I can hold my own financially. Let's not measure the size of our d**ks on a faceless forum. I don't use a car for more than a year and resale value isn't a thing for me.
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by Eddee(m): 8:21pm On Oct 17, 2018
oluwaseunla:

Of course I know that. I'm only talking from the point of view of the average Nigerian. But issue is most Nigerians won't sell a car until it is actually giving issues, and that is where a pre purchase inspection comes in.
This is the most important aspect of buying a car. But most Nigerians aren't prepared to pay a qualified automobile technician for an inspection
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by TPound(m): 9:49pm On Oct 17, 2018
oluwaseunla:

And there's also an issue where by distress sales come up
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by TPound(m): 9:49pm On Oct 17, 2018
Eddee:

This is the most important aspect of buying a car. But most Nigerians aren't prepared to pay a qualified automobile technician for an inspection

True
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by TPound(m): 9:51pm On Oct 17, 2018
oluwaseunla:

Not all
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by oluwaseunla(m): 9:52pm On Oct 17, 2018
TPound:

Not all

Yes, that's why I said 'most', not 'all'. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by TPound(m): 9:53pm On Oct 17, 2018
oluwaseunla:

Yes, that's why I said 'most', not 'all'. grin grin grin

Nice
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:21pm On Oct 17, 2018
Eddee:

Naija used wer we never abuse o! I spend between 5-10% of the total amount i buy a car on PPI

If you're buying a car of 1m, you spend 50-100k on an inspection?
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by Eddee(m): 10:41pm On Oct 17, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

If you're buying a car of 1m, you spend 50-100k on an inspection?

Yes, in the end that's what it'll amount to (you know you have to look at several Nigerian used vehicles before settling for one, in that case the costs of a mechanic traveling to inspect your car, and you know feeding costs as well as accommodation are borne by you the buyer via the PPI). For example i bought my 08 Peugeot 307 from Bauchi 950,000 last year December (inclusive of PPI fee of 55k, dude gave emailed me a receipt sef. (sold it for 650k a month ago) - I've never met the chap who bought it for me, a former colleague of mine who now works for an NGO there directed me to the mechanic. He checked a couple 307's, some 406's and even a 407 before i finally settled on that 307.

I'm an accountant and i charge time for my services, believe me when i say he was dirt cheap for the services he provided me.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by makavele: 5:32am On Oct 18, 2018
oluwaseunla:

I respect his preference too; but as far as Nigeria is concerned, it boils down to economy/cash. The same person who wanted to get the naija-used for 3.6 mil but just wanted a quick shortcut; as a tokunbo will definitely cost more, say in the 4.5 - 5m range.
You actually get to a stage(or perhaps, status) in life, where you will resent even buying a 2017 production year car, in 2018; etc;
and you will ONLY want to drive the latest production car for the current year.
Unless, perhaps you are a collector; or you have an unwavering love for classic cars.
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by makavele: 5:39am On Oct 18, 2018
Eddee:

My brother I am not bragging but I can hold my own financially. Let's not measure the size of our d**ks on a faceless forum. I don't use a car for more than a year and resale value isn't a thing for me.

This is a dialogue; and not a comparison thread.
Thank you.
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by TPound(m): 7:00am On Oct 18, 2018
makavele:

I respect his preference too; but as far as Nigeria is concerned, it boils down to economy/cash. The same person who wanted to get the naija-used for 3.6 mil but just wanted a quick shortcut; as a tokunbo will definitely cost more, say in the 4.5 - 5m range.
You actually get to a stage(or perhaps, status) in life, where you will resent even buying a 2017 production year car, in 2018; etc;
and you will ONLY want to drive the latest production car for the current year.
Unless, perhaps you are a collector; or you have an unwavering love for classic cars.

True
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by Eddee(m): 7:11am On Oct 18, 2018
makavele:

This is a dialogue; and not a comparison thread.
Thank you.
wink To each according to his own bro
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by TPound(m): 10:38am On Oct 18, 2018
Is there any dealer who has experienced this?
Re: Why Are Car Buyers Always Fond Of This Attitude? by CityNGR: 4:42pm On Dec 16, 2018
TPound:

I am looking at a 2002 xterra
Or 4runner, or pathfinder.... Which can you help with at an affordable rate?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Solution To Honda Babyboy Gear Problem. / Does The New Lexus LS 500 Have What It Takes To Finally Take On The German? / Pls Cost Of Ranger Rover 2008 Sport Engine, Super Charge.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.