Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:13 AM

Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? (13927 Views)

Is It Wise For A Woman To Give Her Husband Part Of Her Monthly Salary? / Couple Attending Separate Churches! Is It Normal? / Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by Abn: 9:35am On Jul 15, 2010
How does it look if husband and wife attend different Churches even though two of them are christians?.The wife attends spiritual church while the husband is the other.Pls advise and share your view.
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by coolier(f): 10:04pm On Jul 15, 2010
"A family that prays together stays together".

2 Likes

Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by okenwa(m): 10:46pm On Jul 15, 2010
^^^^ gbam
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by Sissy3(f): 12:47am On Jul 16, 2010
some couples do it, even though it sounds honestly quite silly to me. i mean if you both are worshiping the same true God, why the need for separate churches every sunday or everyday? which church will the children be raised in? how will you explain to the children that although mommy and daddy worship the same God, daddy don't like mommy church and vice versa? some might even use the opportunity to do some abian way "business", "oh honey, we're having some midnight 'prayer' and 'worship' in pastor Luke's house today and i wouldnt be back until the next day"

different churches would make sense to me, if one spouse is a devil worshiper

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by bawomolo(m): 4:23am On Jul 16, 2010
~Sissy~:

some couples do it, even though it sounds honestly quite silly to me. i mean if you both are worshiping the same true God, why the need for separate churches every sunday or everyday? which church will the children be raised in? how will you explain to the children that although mommy and daddy worship the same God, daddy don't like mommy church and vice versa? some might even use the opportunity to do some abian way "business", "oh honey, we're having some midnight 'prayer' and 'worship' in pastor Luke's house today and i wouldnt be back until the next day"

different churches would make to me, if one spouse is a devil worshiper

what if one is catholic and the other is baptist?

coolier:

"A family that prays together stays together".

who says they don't pray together at nite
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by Sissy3(f): 5:17am On Jul 16, 2010
bawomolo:

what if one is catholic and the other is baptist?

at the end of the day, catholics are Christians, baptists are Christians. the same Jesus, the same fight for salvation, the same Heaven. so personally, to me i still don't see the big difference. if i had the choice, i wouldn't knowingly marry a person i know that doesn't belong to the same religion/faith as me or marry someone i know i would be uncomfortable in the future attending his church (if there happens to be a re-conversion) 

i guess, it all boils down to personal choices , although not a choice i personally like or encourage someone i know to do (esp in cases where the intent to serve God is truly genuine) and if the church/es are not this modern day "wayo" business tents disguised as church/es.
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 16, 2010
As long as both are Christians, they should worship in the same church. Seperation will later lead to confusion, on the part of the children in future.

My wife and myself are both Christians, though from different denominations. We both worship in the same church, every Sunday. Why would we choose to drive to different locations each time, to worship a common God? It makes little sense!
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by blank(f): 8:53am On Jul 16, 2010
The husband is a weakling.
How can he claim to be head of his house and he can not even enforce which Church they will both attend?
How does he take his stand as the man of the house?
I have very little respect for such weaklings.

1 Like

Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by medoyejoseph: 1:47pm On Jul 16, 2010
This is the device of the devil to put separation in the homes of the couples.Attending different churches is imbibing different doctrines and it is dangerous.It does not allow the couples to have a balanced spiritual development.Note that both of you came from different homes and backgrounds.The way each was brought up must be different from one another.http://emarriagelifeinfo..com/
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by bawomolo(m): 4:38pm On Jul 16, 2010
blank:

How can he claim to be head of his house and he can not even enforce which Church they will both attend?

so he is a weakling because both parties came to an agreement on attending separate churches? interesting
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by rubi(f): 4:47pm On Jul 16, 2010
I know couples who do such but I will not do it there is nothing as healthy as couples receiving the same doctrine and message
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by bawomolo(m): 6:14pm On Jul 16, 2010
rubi:

I know couples who do such but I will not do it there is nothing as healthy as couples receiving the same doctrine and message

are you saying marriages like the one fashola has isn't healthy?  this is a strange revelation to me.
it boils down to the individuals involved, it would work for some, it won't work for others

1 Like

Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by Sissy3(f): 3:53am On Jul 17, 2010
blank:

i beg to differ. has nothing to do with "weakling" and being less of a man. its a choice some make and for many it hasnt in anyway being a problem in their marriage. at the end of the day, EACH PERSON will have to personally do their fight for their salvation so if attending different churches aid them in their personal journey and its something the couple mutually agree upon and doing so in a way that it doesnt tamper the function of their marriage then . . . . . .  .

i wouldnt be elated and willingly agree, if he changes to the church of this "false pastors" out there today(OR a place of worship my heart feels unease with) and drag me to go with him and i will willingly agree because hes the man of the house not be 'disrespected, wealked or questioned'.

its similar to those couples who share different political parties/views and still manage to respect each other and their marriage.

while i dont subscribe to couples attending different churches however, your argument of it "wealking" a man etc is WEAK IMHO.
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by chika98: 3:55am On Jul 17, 2010
blank:

Oh wow! This analogy of yours is very twisted.
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by polosco(m): 9:29pm On Aug 25, 2010
For the couple to really follow the bible they need to be in the same church so as to learn same thing and be able to have one voice and united in purpose. This is what will help the family and not been separated as we saw in Genesis where Adam left his wife and she was later deceived and which also led to the husband been deceived, if they were together the devil will not have had it so smooth to deceive them. Better to go to the same church.
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by luap: 9:57pm On Aug 25, 2010
~Sissy~:

at the end of the day, catholics are Christians, baptists are Christians. the same Jesus, the same fight for salvation, the same Heaven. so personally, to me i still don't see the big difference.

Sissy you should talk to a catholic, they do not believe your the same. My wife is a catholic and she keeps telling me how she is so different. I am Baptist and I keep telling her we are the same. We do go to seperate churches. I reason it that my relationship with God is supreme. Hope I see her in heaven.
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by polosco(m): 10:43pm On Aug 26, 2010
luap:

We do go to separate churches. I reason it that my relationship with God is supreme. Hope I see her in heaven.

Yes our relationship with God is the supreme. In so much as one's spouse has not fully understood the stand on oneness then rather than cause divisions it is better to let the two be going to different churches until the one is able to see the reason(s) why they should be together. Our hope is to make it to heaven under whatever circumstance(s).
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by Travelista(f): 3:25am On Aug 27, 2010
I'm Roman Catholic and my fiance is Protestant. He comes with me for Mass and I go to church with him; when we're married, we'll be registered at the local parish and be functioning members at his church. To me, it's not a big deal as long as we are willing to go for worship together and we do. I don't understand being married (and belonging to the same faith, albeit different denominations) and going to separate services. But, if it works for you and yours, then why not?

2 Likes

Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by Sissy3(f): 9:56am On Aug 28, 2010
luap:

Sissy you should talk to a catholic, they do not believe your the same. My wife is a catholic and [b]she keeps telling me how she is so different. [/b]I am Baptist and I keep telling her we are the same. We do go to seperate churches. I reason it that my relationship with God is supreme. Hope I see her in heaven.

different as in different God, Jesus, heaven, fight for salvation? if none of the mentioned is different then there is really no difference. it is the same Christianity, the same heaven so at the end of the day its still the same. yes, catholics and baptist may differ in ways of worship/principles however, when all is said and done, they both believe in the SAME Jesus and Same heaven. catholic or baptist is not a guarantee of heaven and no church offers "easy" passport to the heaven. both still have to work HARD to reach heaven.
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by blank(f): 12:19pm On Aug 28, 2010
@ Sissy, try telling that to a Catholic. They will tell u that their own is a different religion.
They are plenty in the East so i know from experience.
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Aug 28, 2010
No, believe or not there will always be a clash for those with kids on which church the kids should attend
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by honeric01(m): 1:47pm On Aug 28, 2010
It's a no no to me, especially if it has to do with white garment churches or catholic churches, their interpretation of the bible is way off the mark for me and i can't afford to jeopardize my home and relationship with my future-wife and kids.
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by deniyor: 2:35pm On Aug 28, 2010
If they are both ok with it, who cares how it looks outside. Mind ya business!

honeric01:

It's a no no to me, especially if it has to do with white garment churches or catholic churches, their interpretation of the bible is way off the mark for me and i can't afford to jeopardize my home and relationship with my future-wife and kids.

They went to different churches when they were dating and are both comfortable with it. You need to show some respect your for partner's church and stop looking down at other churches like yours is better.
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by honeric01(m): 8:19pm On Aug 28, 2010
deniyor:

They went to different churches when they were dating and are both comfortable with it. You need to show some respect your for partner's church and stop looking down at other churches like yours is better.

Yes, i have to filter churches because we all know alot of churches are out there leading people to destruction, except you want to pretend they don't exist. Yes, i go to a bible believing church and wouldn't go to a church where bible is preached upside down, so yes my church for now is better than the 2 i listed (IMO)
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by Sissy3(f): 11:13pm On Aug 28, 2010
blank:

@ Sissy, try telling that to a Catholic. They will tell u that their own is a different religion.
They are plenty in the East so i know from experience.

i know!. everyone wants to believe that their way is the 'best'. at the end of the day we shall see whether there will be different heavens for each of the "Christian" faiths
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by icare1: 3:19pm On Sep 15, 2010
don't couples work in different places. a church is a place to serve god, and not to prove a point you are married. one flesh is not one church.
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by polosco(m): 10:10am On Sep 16, 2010
i care:

don't couples work in different places. a church is a place to serve god, and not to prove a point you are married. one flesh is not one church.

Ah! What else do you think the one flesh mean if you think it does not mean one church? Does the Bible not say "can two walk together except they agree?" there is need for agreement on which church to attend between couples or else the accuser will enter between them unsuspectingly. You may check out my blog for a little more info on understanding in marriage http://happyhomeforever..com/2010/08/factors-for-success-in-marriage.html
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by NifemiOlu(m): 4:57pm On Sep 08, 2015
2010-2015

Resurrection indeed
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by Jamiubug(m): 4:15pm On Nov 26, 2017
Is this still an issue?
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by chidekings(m): 9:12pm On Nov 26, 2017
blank:

I don't believe your married.
For you to be in a peaceful marriage,most times concessions has to be made.
Re: Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? by blank(f): 10:42pm On Nov 26, 2017
chidekings:

I don't believe your married.
For you to be in a peaceful marriage,most times concessions has to be made.

Leave me Jor. This was 7 years ago. Not like my opinions have changed substantially would have been more tactful.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yam Pounders for Sale / Baby Prefers Home-made Goat Milk Formula To Breast Milk / What Should I Do With This House Help? Pls, Advise.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.