Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,450 members, 7,812,377 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:27 PM

Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? (12523 Views)

5 Reasons Why You Should Teach Your Kids To Drive Before 15(pics) / Is It Wise For A Woman To Give Her Husband Part Of Her Monthly Salary? / Subliminal Messages Hidden In Disney Cartoons That Our Kids Watch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by chima2011: 9:40pm On Sep 25, 2011
With pidgin English being the commonest form of spoken language and its tendency to corrupt English language.

With pidgin English becoming “cool” among our kids, no thanks to Nigerian musicians, radio stations like wazobia FM and pidgin English social networking websites like www.naweown.com

In your opinion, Do you think it is wise to shield our young kids from the corrupting influence of pidgin English
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nobody: 2:22am On Sep 26, 2011
Honestly pidgin English distorts your grammar. Doesn't help in your English language classes, so what's the essence as a kid? Rather speak a proper Nigerian language instead. Yeah, the kids would eventually grasp it as they grow older, but to make it a norm to be spoken at home, no.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by blank(f): 11:10am On Sep 26, 2011
My mum forbade it in our home. I will do same. Why not use that energy and pick up French or another Nigerian language?
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Bawss1(m): 3:10pm On Sep 26, 2011
Kids should not be allowed to speak pidgin at home, they will learn it if they need it later when they are grown.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by 2mch(m): 4:28pm On Sep 26, 2011
Are your kids too dumb that they cannot speak more than one language? A child's ability to juggle many different languages shows intelligence. undecided. Nothing wrong with pidgin, it can open some doors same as polished english can. It is all about balance and a child's intelligence. There are some people that can speak pidgin and in the next minute converse in very posh english.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by shababysha: 5:52pm On Sep 26, 2011
Of course I encourage my kids to speak pidgin. As kids speaking diff kind of languages helps to develope their learning skills fast. I got to no of dis recently wen I took my 8 months old baby for growth assesment and we were told to encourage them to speak as many languages they can speak, my older daughter speaks pigin and she also speaks gud english language
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Sep 26, 2011
We never spoke pidgin growing up, our parents spoke to us in regular English. I will not encourage my children to speak pidgin either, it's of no benefit, as far as I'm concerned.

2mch:

Are your kids too dumb that they cannot speak more than one language? A child's ability to juggle many different languages shows intelligence.  undecided. Nothing wrong with pidgin, it can open some doors same as polished english can. It is all about balance and a child's intelligence. There are some people that can speak pidgin and in the next minute converse in very posh english.

It's not about children being dumb, your remark is pretty crass. Why can't Nigerians accept that others will have different points of view, and not resort to becoming verbally abusive?

In my opinion, pidgin distorts regular English. This is apparent in graduates getting their tenses mixed up, and other grammatical blunders. One only has to watch Nollywood movies, or other Nigerian productions, during the credits, you can see the errors. Shame, that even when these productions are being edited, these errors aren't picked up. Some top Nigerian graduates make blunders when they're being interviewed on live television too. Often a mixture of pidgin and regular English.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by 2mch(m): 8:22pm On Sep 26, 2011
Siena:

We never spoke pidgin growing up, our parents spoke to us in regular English. I will not encourage my children to speak pidgin either, it's of no benefit, as far as I'm concerned.

It's not about children being dumb, your remark is pretty crass. Why can't Nigerians accept that others will have different points of view, and not resort to becoming verbally abusive?

In my opinion, pidgin distorts regular English. This is apparent in graduates getting their tenses mixed up, and other grammatical blunders. One only has to watch Nollywood movies, or other Nigerian productions, during the credits, you can see the errors. Shame, that even when these productions are being edited, these errors aren't picked up. Some top Nigerian graduates make blunders when they're being interviewed on live television too. Often a mixture of pidgin and regular English.

You are entitled to your opinion, as i am entitled to mine. People should not excuse the inability of their children to juggle different languages. The fact that some people cannot speak correct English on TV shows the level of decay in schools. If your child cannot speak good English, then you need to withdraw the child from whatever school they are going to. The same excuse is made by parents about their ethnic languages. They say the accent will affect the child's ability to speak English correctly, this is bull as we know. The people that speak French, German, Italian and English excellently must be aliens. Laziness is no excuse. Just come to terms with the fact that either the parent or the child is not smart enough to handle different languages.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by emofine(f): 10:47pm On Sep 26, 2011
I wouldn't even allow my children to speak standard English in the home. The lingua Franca in my household will be our native tongue first and foremost. . . it is my duty to teach them their mother tongue which is not going to be relayed to them in school not pidgin (which they can pick up at anytime if they so please).
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by frankcimc(m): 9:01am On Sep 27, 2011
I think what Nigeria need is to drop English and encourage our native languages or even make any of it our official language.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by cicero(m): 9:04am On Sep 27, 2011
No pidgin english
No native language

It's english first
Maybe french second
Spanish third

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by earlalright(m): 9:11am On Sep 27, 2011
kids can learn as much as 5 different languages without conflicting any. so for my kids, the languages would be 1. Esan, 2. Pidgin, 3. English etc. i see at as a shame if you can speak english VERY WELL and can't speak pidgin. i can forgive you if you can't speak your native language but may not if you don't understand pidgin. if dem no teach you for house and school, abeg, enter street go learn

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by horny4u(f): 9:12am On Sep 27, 2011
No pidgin english, No gbagaun, No text words e.g Gud, capital letters must always be used to start a sentence in my

home whether you are my kid or not, until you are 18 years old.

Native language 1st, English 2nd, Mandarin 3rd and anything else.

Some one sent in his application letter with Gud mornin  cry  needless to say I sent it to its rightful place - Gmail trash bin.

Distorted Languages are not for children, or adults but,

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by horny4u(f): 9:16am On Sep 27, 2011
2mch:

Are your kids too dumb that they cannot speak more than one language? A child's ability to juggle many different languages shows intelligence. undecided. Nothing wrong with pidgin, it can open some doors same as polished english can. It is all about balance and a child's intelligence. There are some people that can speak pidgin and in the next minute converse in very posh english.

embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry cry

Not good enough, expected much more.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by tellwisdom: 9:43am On Sep 27, 2011
Does pidgin english stops your child from speaking proper english when required?? DOES IT STOP UR CHILD FROM ACHIEVING HIS OR HER AIM IN THE SOCIETY , even pidgin sometimes passes some core messages than proper english. Go speak proper english to niger delta militant and see their reactions towards you, bt when a mesg is being conveyed to people like that in PIGDIN, i swear, 80% of them will agree with you. ROGER DAT! wink wink
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by mobf: 9:59am On Sep 27, 2011
chima2011:

With pidgin English being the commonest form of spoken language and its tendency to corrupt English language.

With pidgin English becoming “cool” among our kids, no thanks to Nigerian musicians, radio stations like wazobia FM and pidgin English social networking websites like www.naweown.com

In your opinion, Do you think it is wise to shield our young kids from the corrupting influence of pidgin English

Since when?

blank:

My mum forbade it in our home. I will do same. Why not use that energy and pick up French or another Nigerian language?
A silly and unfortunate post there.smh
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by tellwisdom: 10:06am On Sep 27, 2011
A silly and unfortunate post there.smh

grin grin I dey tells u
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by AdamuW: 10:09am On Sep 27, 2011
This is an interesting debate that's similar to one we're having in my company. We're producing a Nigerian educational cartoon for children and we wanted to know if we should do a pidgin English version. We even did a test clip for people to view and give feedback. Here it is,
[flash=560,315]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI_-VCUr5Ys?version=3&hl=en_GB[/flash]
I personally think you can't ignore pidgin English and that children should be aware of it and understand a way of communicating that over 60 million Nigerians use daily plus other African countries. The important thing is that the children also speak formal english properly in schools etc.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by cicero(m): 10:11am On Sep 27, 2011
I find it is way too easy for people with very sound command of the english language to adapt in areas where they have to communicate with pidgin english, but if you master pidgin english at the expense of correct english and you grow with it, that becomes a problem then?

Besides I personally think that it benefits my children to master the english language well because there is no emotion or thought that cannot be perfectly expressed in english, but this is the exclusive preserve of those who understand the fundamental, correct structure of the english language.

I have found also that for us in Nigeria, the chances of our children picking our vernacular is very high because they are always going to hear it.
Having a great command of english may not necessarily give them an advantage but it sure adds to their self esteem besides making their communication in a world that is globalizing rapidly stress free.

And there is this cool thing about a nigeria child who has that command of the english language, such children are a joy to listen to
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by blackpanda: 10:13am On Sep 27, 2011
cicero:

No pidgin english
No native language

It's english first
Maybe french second
Spanish third

Shame on you! Go to england or spain and see whetehr they say it is yoruba or ibo or hausa 1st. We have simply refused to drop that silly colonial mentality. Part of our problem in this nation is that we have been brain washed to believe that anything foreign is the best. In south africa, the use of local dialect and mother tongue is widely accepted. Infact, in some schools, children are taught in their mother tongue. In universities, you are allowed to write ur exams in ur local dialect! In our case here in nigeria, its the other way round. I weep for our children yet unborn, slowly we are wiping out our entire history, culture and very existence! GBAM!

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by LagosBoi2(m): 10:22am On Sep 27, 2011
2mch:

Intelligent kids should have the ability to speak different languages without mixing up, I have a 4yr old girl that speaks good English and Pidgen very well, She speaks yoruba very well too and i told her grandma to start communicating with her in French and she has no problems merging them. kids are not the same anyway but they should learn better than any other age class.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by cicero(m): 10:25am On Sep 27, 2011
@blackpanda,
My sister or my brother,
Like it or not english is taking it over, followed by spanish and french and that is why some Nigerians are talking about protecting our indigenous languages. A thing that is not threatened does not need protection.

However, I do not hate our languages, but we have not succeeded in exporting them, we are deep into importing other languages as we constantly depend on the west for virtually everything.
I want my children to be relevant in global environment and not in Nigeria alone, and communication is key.

And sorry to rattle you, the culture and tradition you referred are gradually dying.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nobody: 10:49am On Sep 27, 2011
Environment influences children so it's better to allow them to learn their indigenious and English languages.My yoruba is somehow bad because I was over-exposed to speaking English language but I have vowed that such will not happen to my kids.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by room702(m): 10:52am On Sep 27, 2011
cicero:

@blackpanda,
My sister or my brother,
Like it or not english is taking it over, followed by spanish and french and that is why some Nigerians are talking about protecting our indigenous languages. A thing that is not threatened does not need protection.

However, I do not hate our languages, but we have not succeeded in exporting them, we are deep into importing other languages as we constantly depend on the west for virtually everything.
[b]I want my children to be relevant in global environment [/b]and not in Nigeria alone, and communication is key.

And sorry to rattle you, the culture and tradition you referred are gradually dying.

Let your children be relevant in local environment first so they can export the culture and tradition globally
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by cicero(m): 11:06am On Sep 27, 2011
Any language in the world that will last for long must have relevant product, service or some value that it is attached to represents. Now with the world becoming a global community, the product, service or value must have global appeal and relevance.

I love my native language, infact I love igbo, hausa and yoruba. Yoruba language particularly will go far because it is more advanced than igbo and hausa and yoruba scholars are fighting hard to sustain it, pidgin english will go far too. However, if we still got 100 hundred years than the line, what do you think will become of these native languages?
Besides I like to see my children speak very correct english.
They can survive without speaking pidgin english or my native tongue, but can they ever be relevant with speaking correct english looking to the future?

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by ayandee: 11:09am On Sep 27, 2011
True. English, Spanish and French are economically viable languages. There were a few opportunities i missed in the past just because i do not speak French. My kids would speak at least 2 international languages and Yoruba. No pidgin English. They can pick that when they become adults
cicero:

@blackpanda,
My sister or my brother,

I want my children to be relevant in global environment and not in Nigeria alone, and communication is key.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by freecocoa(f): 11:19am On Sep 27, 2011
I don't see anything wrong with kids speaking pidgin english,I grew up speaking pidgin and it hasn't affected my english,some people say their kids should learn french,spanish etc instead,if these other languages don't affect their use of the english language why should pidgin? As far as I'm concerned I'd want my kids to learn whatever language they can as long as its not foul.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by ideylaff: 11:20am On Sep 27, 2011
Shame on you! Go to england or spain and see whetehr they say it is yoruba or ibo or hausa 1st. We have simply refused to drop that silly colonial mentality. Part of our problem in this nation is that we have been brain washed to believe that anything foreign is the best. In south africa, the use of local dialect and mother tongue is widely accepted. Infact, in some schools, children are taught in their mother tongue. In universities, you are allowed to write your exams in your local dialect! In our case here in nigeria, its the other way round. I weep for our children yet unborn, slowly we are wiping out our entire history, culture and very existence! GBAM!

@ blackpanda Face it like or lump it English language is a worldwide lingo. its got nothing to do with Colonial Mentality,

I don't see you typing in Hausa, or Ibo or Yoruba,  if you really want to be Pro Nigeria with turning a blind eye to reality.

Bottom line is Pidgin English can be picked up when a kids grows up, whats the point of messing them up with confusion on which word is right and then they grow up with "yes oooo yes ooo yes oo, how u dey naw" every 5 minutes in a conversation.

Whether we like it or not English is here to stay, yes you can teach your kid Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba as you so wish but to teach a kid Pidgin English which is really an aberration to the proper language is just not on.

When we were in school years back people spoke both native and other languages in a well balanced manner, these days its just a crying shame to see things like,     

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwEUR_RnUg4

Please do me a favour bro, Speaking English does not make you a slave bro,

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by freecocoa(f): 11:22am On Sep 27, 2011
I don't see anything wrong with kids speaking pidgin english,I grew up speaking pidgin and it hasn't affected my english,some people say their kids should learn french,spanish etc instead,if these other languages don't affect their use of the english language why should pidgin? As far as I'm concerned I'd want my kids to learn whatever language they can as long as its not foul.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by blackpanda: 11:23am On Sep 27, 2011
cicero:

Any language in the world that will last for long must have relevant product, service or some value that it is attached to represents. Now with the world becoming a global community, the product, service or value must have global appeal and relevance.

I love my native language, infact I love igbo, hausa and yoruba. Yoruba language particularly will go far because it is more advanced than igbo and hausa and yoruba scholars are fighting hard to sustain it, pidgin english will go far too. However, if we still got 100 hundred years than the line, what do you think will become of these native languages?
Besides I like to see my children speak very correct english.
They can survive without speaking pidgin english or my native tongue, but can they ever be relevant with speaking correct english looking to the future?

I sorry for you. Your children will join the line of those have been considered "lost". I know this because i am there too. I live abroad and unfortunately my parents didnt have the sense to teach us our native language before we left; all in the name of "English is the future". As a result i feel so ashamed whenever there is a nigerian gathering here, as i cant mutter a word in my own local dialect. When i speak with my mum on the phone, its always in english, and even the foreigners here are usually surprised when i do that.
The fact is when the going gets tough, its to ur tenth o israel. Who will ur children run to. It will be easier for me to get help here form my fellow nigerians if i could speak the language. Even when i tell pple i am a nigerian they dnt believe. They always have to go check my passport first. Infact i m considering switching nationality.
Did you know that even in America, they dont speak English. What they speak is "AMERICAN" which is totally diff from english. The same thing goes for most of the developed world, brazil, germany, france, china, spain, sweden, etc. Everybody is aligning themselves with their own native dialect. Shamefully, nigerians a busy looking for the nearest foreign language to adopt.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by blackpanda: 11:30am On Sep 27, 2011
ideylaff:

@ blackpanda Face it like or lump it English language is a worldwide lingo. its got nothing to do with Colonial Mentality,

I don't see you typing in Hausa, or Ibo or Yoruba,  if you really want to be Pro Nigeria with turning a blind eye to reality.

Bottom line is Pidgin English can be picked up when a kids grows up, whats the point of messing them up with confusion on which word is right and then they grow up with "yes oooo yes ooo yes oo, how u dey naw" every 5 minutes in a conversation.

Whether we like it or not English is here to stay, yes you can teach your kid Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba as you so wish but to teach a kid Pidgin English which is really an aberration to the proper language is just not on.

When we were in school years back people spoke both native and other languages in a well balanced manner, these days its just a crying shame to see things like,     

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwEUR_RnUg4

Please do me a favour bro, Speaking English does not make you a slave bro,

You see, this is exactly my point. In other countries they type, speak and write in their own language. Unfortunately its the reverse here, where children are taught to shy away from their local language. If i was given the opportunity, today i would be typing everything u are reading in esan, And you are wrong, pidgin is NOT an "aberration". It is our own form of english. Its the same as they speak American in the USA.
No matter how hard we try, we can never speak english like the british. One day, you may find that this pdgin which you despise so much may be the only thing that will save you. We must learn to abandon this culture of importing everything importable.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by okeyxyz(m): 11:33am On Sep 27, 2011
is [b]pidgin [/b]not a nigerian laanguage
cos, last time i checked, i thought it was.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Will I Deal With A Stepmother Who Loves Swearing,abusing And Problematic / Do Women Like House-husbands? / How's Your Relationship With Your Parent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.