Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,640 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

What Is The Meaning Of AMEN? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Meaning Of AMEN? (489 Views)

Meaning Of Isee And Amen: Why You Must Not Speak In Strange Languages / The Meaning Of Chukwu Abiama / Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Meaning Of AMEN? by chikachuks1(m): 3:22pm On Oct 20, 2018
You end all your prayers with the phrase “In Jesus name I pray Amen”. Have you tried to find out the meaning of the word “AMEN”. If no, then this article is written to help you out. If yes, then you are in the right website as your inquiries will be fully taken care of.

The word “AMEN” is no strange word to any Christian. It is also commonly used in other religions like Islam and Judaism. In Christianity, it is used as a word of confirmation and affirmation to all our prayers.

The word AMEN means “it is so” or “so it be.” It is derived from the Hebrew āmēn, which means “certainty,” “truth,” and “verily.” In prayer, it is used to express absolute faith in a faithful God. It is a way of affirming that we believe that God has the ability and will grant our petitions.

AMEN is the Bible’s supreme expression of assent. By saying amen, we mean much more than simple agreement. It is a remarkable word because it allows us to succinctly articulate “Praise the Lord” and “I agree”. For example, Jeremiah agrees with the words of Hananiah, a fellow prophet, by saying: “Amen! May the Lord do so; may the Lord fulfill the words that you have prophesied” (Jer. 28:6). It is used in many places in the Scripture to mean “So be it”.

This powerful word comes from the Hebrew root אמן (a-m-n) that is also related to the word אֱמוּנָה (emunah) which means “faith”.

Interestingly, it is classified as an adjective which describes states and moods. This word is not another “Yes” or “No”. When a person says Amen, they commit themselves to a state of conscious agreement, judgement and faith. In the Bible, having faith is not just a question of being spiritually awake, but of being firmly committed to one’s religious identity.

As we append our signatory to important and relevant documents, so also is AMEN a signatory we append to our prayer as a sign of total agreement.

There are three major formats in which AMEN is used;
1) To conclude our private or group prayer
2) In response to a prayer prayed by a spiritual leader.
3) In confirmation of agreement to a statement made by someone

Sadly, AMEN is one of the word commonly misused in Christianity. For example, many preachers are fond of saying it intermittently in their sermons. Others use it carelessly in statements like testimonies. An example is a case of someone sharing a testimony. He starts his testimony with a statement like, “I was traveling to California and along the way… AMEN”. At this point the person just introduce the word. We must endeavour to refraim from using the word careless.

In the King James Version, AMEN appeared about 78 times.

The word AMEN appear in all the books of the New Testament except Acts, James and 3John. It was mostly used by Apostle Paul as He made use of it in concluding all his epistles.

In conclusion, we express our faith to God through prayers. This prayers contains our petitions to the Most High God. We seal our prayers with this-all-powerful word of faith and acclamation.

http://www.christianityupdate.com/blog/what-is-amen/
Re: What Is The Meaning Of AMEN? by OriginalKogiboy(m): 3:31pm On Oct 20, 2018
AMEN Means ACCEPTED, LET IT BE SO, I AGREE, IT CONCOR
Re: What Is The Meaning Of AMEN? by chikachuks1(m): 4:37pm On Oct 20, 2018
OriginalKogiboy:

Yes boss
Re: What Is The Meaning Of AMEN? by Bruno3000(m): 9:19pm On Oct 20, 2018
OriginalKogiboy:
seconded...

(1) (Reply)

DC Comics Set To Release Comic About The ‘second Coming’ Of Christ / Does GOD Still Visit One Like In Days Of Obed-edom? / Catholic Church Confirms Attack On Priest By Herdsmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.