Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,935 members, 7,817,727 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

“About The Great Tribulation” - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / “About The Great Tribulation” (406 Views)

Events Of The Great Tribulation / Will Great Tribulation Take Place Before The Rapture? / The Rapture Will Not Happen Until Christians Have Faced The Great Tribulation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

“About The Great Tribulation” by emekrus(m): 12:12pm On Oct 22, 2018
For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.” Matthew 24:21.

As we begin to discuss about the great tribulation, it is important we first understand the meaning of the keyword ‘tribulation’ as used in the opening text…

The word translated as ‘tribulation’ in the opening text, is from the Greek word ‘thlipsis’, meaning—pressure. It means pressure—either literally or figuratively. Other synonyms of the word tribulation as translated in the New Testament are: affliction, anguish, burden, persecution, and trouble.

All through the ages, since the fall of Adam and Eve, mankind has faced several kinds of tribulation and disaster. Some God-made—by his sovereign ideal; some man-made; and some others, devils’-made…

Even Israel—the chosen nation of God—also went through tribulations from God as a result of their evil deeds. Then the Church of Christ, since her emergence after the death, resurrection and ascension of Christ, has also suffered tribulations, especially in the form of persecution from non-believers.

But concerning the great tribulation, the Lord tells us in his own words that the great tribulation is a special kind of tribulation. That has never been experienced since the beginning of the world till the time he was speaking…

And that the great tribulation will not have its kind after it. Many Christian theologians are divided on their understanding and explanation of the great tribulation as mentioned by the Lord. Especially concerning its features and timing. So in this article, we want to see exactly what the scriptures say concerning the great tribulation.

The Features of the Great Tribulation
Having already known the meaning of the word ‘tribulation’, the great tribulation can therefore be explained as a period of great and unusual affliction. On the entire world and its inhabitants. And the major features of the great tribulation from scriptures are as follows:

1) A Period of Great Deception: “For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect”—Matthew 24:24. A major feature of the great tribulation is an unusual emergence of deception.

Which will be masterminded by the anti-Christ and his false prophet (see 2 Thessallonians2:9-11; Revelation 13:13-15) the bible says the deceptions at the great tribulation will be so strong that if it were possible, the very elect of God shall also be deceived.

2) A Period of Great Persecution of the Saints: “And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues and nations”—Revelation 13:7 (see also Daniel 8:24).

Another prominent feature of the great tribulation is an unusual persecution of the Church. Yes, the church and saints of God of all ages have been persecuted and even martyred in large scale. But the persecution of the saints at the great tribulation will be far greater.

The world will be subjected to many kinds of idolatry and rituals of which anyone that fails to follow suit, will be killed or ostracised (see Revelation 13:12, 14-15).

3) A Period of God’s Wrath: The final stage of the great tribulation is a period of unusual disaster from God (Revelation 16:1-14). And this last phase of the great tribulation will happen after the rapture of the Church at the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The bible says the true believers will not partake of God’s wrath (1 Thessalonians 5:9).

To better understand this fact, the words of our Lord Jesus give us an eye-opener. Here are his exact words: “But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered the ark; and knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.”—Matthew 24:37-39.

So amidst the great tribulation, Christ will come and rapture his church and after that, the remaining inhabitants of the earth will face the wrath of God as it was in the days of Noah.

Admonishment to the Church Concerning the Great Tribulation

With the above three features of the great tribulation, it is very clear that the saints or believers will partake of the great tribulation. Especially the periods of great deception and persecution. But the believers will not partake of the last phase of the great tribulation which is the wrath of God or the judgement of God.

However, concerning the great tribulation, the Lord admonishes the believers thus:

“Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man”—Luke 21:36.

From the above scripture, the Lord admonishes us concerning the great tribulation to be watchful and prayerful always. So we may be accounted worthy of escaping the things that shall come to pass at the great tribulation so that in the end, we will be able to stand before him—the Son of man.

Escape as used in the above scripture, can take either of two forms… Either escaping through death or martyr; or escaping through the rapture at the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Those who do not escape the great tribulation will be taken in the tribulation. Either they are taken by the great deception or are taken by the great persecution through personal subjection…

And that is why the Lord admonishes us to be watchful and prayerful always. Because it’s only through these two spiritual tools we would be able to escape the great deception and persecution of the end-time at the great tribulation…

And finally be able to stand before our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ in paradise forever.

Remain Blessed!

Emeke Odili
Re: “About The Great Tribulation” by Ihedinobi3: 1:37pm On Oct 23, 2018
Hello brother.

I commend you for your work.

Please allow me to recommend https://ichthys.com for a treatment of this subject that you may find worth your while.

In my reading of the Bible, you got a lot right but you got some wrong too. The Lord Jesus will only return once and that is at the end of the Great Tribulation when He will destroy the Antichrist and all the armies of the world that mass against Jerusalem. That is when the Church will be resurrected to be with Him eternally.
Re: “About The Great Tribulation” by emekrus(m): 1:51pm On Oct 23, 2018
Ihedinobi3:
Hello brother.

Please allow me to recommend https://ichthys.com for a treatment of this subject that you may find worth your while.

In my reading of the Bible, you got a lot right but you got some wrong too. The Lord Jesus will only return once and that is at the end of the Great Tribulation when He will destroy the Antichrist and all the armies of the world that mass against Jerusalem. That is when the Church will be resurrected to be with Him eternally.

And of course, I agree with you on that. Only that the saints will be taken away before the wrath of God. The believers will partake of the great tribulation until Christ comes back to rapture the Church, before God's wrath. That's what my OP is saying.

I definitely agree with you there.
Re: “About The Great Tribulation” by Ihedinobi3: 2:15pm On Oct 23, 2018
emekrus:

And of course, I agree with you on that. Only that the saints will be taken away before the wrath of God. The believers will partake of the great tribulation until Christ comes back to rapture the Church, before God's wrath. That's what my OP is saying.

I definitely agree with you there.
Please don't get me wrong. I'm all for encouraging diligent Bible scholarship and zeal in teaching the Truth but an error in the Truth however small can result in serious trouble.

The Tribulation as a whole will last seven years. The first three and a half will be the time that the Antichrist will be consolidating his power over the entire world. During that time, the Lord will be pouring out warning judgments on the world to warn against following the Antichrist. Things will be hard for everyone alive in this world at the time including believers. But the Great Tribulation, the time of the worst persecution of the Church ever, will only begin at the midpoint of the Tribulation and last until the end of the seven years.

During those last three and a half years, the Lord will pour out punitive judgments on the world because of the persecution of the Church. Believers will still be here on earth but they will not be the target of this judgment any more than they were of the warning judgments. But they will suffer terrible persecution during that time.

At the end of the seven years when the Antichrist will lead all the armies of the world to destroy Jerusalem, in the process of that destruction when almost all hope is lost, the Lord will return and the Church will be resurrected. The judgments that will happen at that point will be the destruction of the Antichrist and his prophet, the destruction of the armies massed against Jerusalem, the Baptism of Fire that kills every unbeliever bearing the mark of the Beast, the Judgment of the Church to determine each person's eternal reward and the Purification of Israel. The Church, of course, will participate in the War of Armageddon with the Lord but on the spiritual plane against the rebel angels themselves rather than against the humans massed against Jerusalem.

This link gives a very comprehensive treatment of the whole subject:

http://ichthys.com/Coming-Tribulation-Home-Page.htm

Or, you can test this one out for starters:

http://ichthys.com/Tribulation-Part5.htm.
Re: “About The Great Tribulation” by Originakalokalo(m): 3:31pm On Oct 23, 2018
Ihedinobi3:
Hello brother.

The church will be taken up to be with the Lord in the air at the sound of the trumpet...

that happens before the tribulation..

The Antichrist comes after to reign and some people will pay with their blood.... this includes the Jews and Israelites...

after the seven years of the reign of the Antichrist, Jesus and his church will descend on earth for the millennium reign.

1 Like

Re: “About The Great Tribulation” by Originakalokalo(m): 3:32pm On Oct 23, 2018
Ihedinobi3:
Hello brother.

The church will be taken up to be with the Lord in the air at the sound of the trumpet...

The church has been redeemed by the blood of Jesus... She will not witness the tribulation.

The Antichrist comes after to reign and some people will pay with their blood.... this includes the Jews and Israelites...

after the seven years of the reign of the Antichrist, Jesus and his church will descend on earth for the millennium reign.

1 Like

Re: “About The Great Tribulation” by Ihedinobi3: 4:38pm On Oct 23, 2018
Originakalokalo:

The church has been redeemed by the blood of Jesus... She will not witness the tribulation.

I have to ask: are you willing to discuss this possibly at length?

I offered the links because they fully represent what I believe and offer a way to avoid a difficult debate if you are uninterested in having one.
Re: “About The Great Tribulation” by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 23, 2018
the church will be taken up before the antichrist begins his rule.
2 Thessalonians 2:6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.

2:7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

what is holding the antichrist now is the holy Spirit through the church.

Because Christians are the light of this world,

2 Thessalonians 2:6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time. 2:7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

the antichrist cannot manifest when the lights are still there he must come in the dark.
meaning when the Christians are taken away from this world, the world will be thrown into great spiritual darkness then and only then would the antichrist manifest bringing is own false light to deceive the world.

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Dies After Fasting 30 Days To Beat Jesus’ Record / Prophet Nwoko Reveals How Kanu Betrayed Him, Disobeyed God / Prophet Macdonald E.E Sound Accurately Prophesied The Canada Flooding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.