Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,513 members, 7,812,599 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency (10337 Views)

Obasanjo: Borrowing For Recurrent Expenditure Is Foolish / Reps Approve Bill To Create State Police, Security Outfits / Reps Approve Buhari’s $22.7 Billion Loan Request. South East Reps Kick (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by Ogaga87(m): 12:41pm On Oct 24, 2018
After 20 trillion.. Soon they go call us the capital of borrowing..
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by zombieTRACKER: 12:43pm On Oct 24, 2018
theoldpretender:
So long as oil does not reach the breakeven price...we will continue to borrow.

Oil is at $81. To balance the budget...we need it to be at $140 as at last year. (Saudi Arabia needs it by $86,Kuwait at $45).

If you want to stop borrowing we have to do several things....

1.Diversify the economy...short term, agric and extractive/solid minerals. Long term, INDUSTRIES
2.Cut waste by .....removing subsides, ACTUALLY fighting corruption, and reducing the size of government.
3.Spending more on power deliberately.
4.Security.

In my honest opinion, we cannot just stop borrowing. If we do that, we would end up with an even worse situation than now.

If you know the waste and leakages in govt

You wont spew this trash

1 Like

Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by wisebrains: 12:43pm On Oct 24, 2018
Why can't these people just sell the country and distribute the proceeds to all citizens, despite the huge indebtedness we are in already, some idiots still give the executive the go-ahead for more borrowing.
Nonsense!!!

akelicious:
Eurobond market.

The $2.7 billion was listed in the budget as a finance channel for the 2018 spending plan.

This would be the third Euro bond floated by the Nigerian government since 2017. The total value of all the borrowings from this market is an estimated $8 billion.

The lawmakers also gave assent to the government to raise $82.54 million “to refinance the balance of $500m matured Eurobond in the international capital market".

According to The Punch, the House Committee on Capital Market and Institutions, also gave nine oil firms a 48-hour ultimatum to release documents on their compliance level with regulatory requirements to operate in the country.

Tony Nwulu, Chairman of the Sub-Committee handling an investigation into the compliance of Public Limited Liability Companies with the extant laws regulating their operations in Nigeria, directed their chief executive officers to appear before the panel on Thursday at the National Assembly.

He informed the nine firms that refusal to heed the directive that he would force the House to activate Section 89 of the 1999 Constitution to compel compliance with the directive:

He said: “If any one of you fails to submit your management letters and comply with other requests of the committee by Thursday, we may not have any other option than to use our legislative powers to compel you.

“You have constantly disregarded our requests to submit documents required by this committee. We are giving the Thursday deadline to submit the required documents and for you to appear unfailingly, otherwise, this will leave us with no other option than to invoke our legislative powers.

“The committee will insist that companies quoted on the Nigerian Stock Exchange, which fail to comply, are de-listed from the stock market for failing to meet the aspirations of investors.”

https://www.akelicious.net/2018/10/reps-approve-more-borrowing-for.html
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by theoldpretender(m): 12:45pm On Oct 24, 2018
tetralogyfallot:
what is the break even price?

Fitch Ratings, a global leader in financial information services, has offered up their per barrel of oil, break-even statistics on some of the major oil-producing nations in the Middle East, Africa and North Asia. To estimate the break-even price to attain a balanced budget, Fitch used an oil forecast of $52.50 a barrel, on average.

A few of the countries’ break-even numbers are astonishing—especially Nigeria—which is the worst off with an estimated oil price of $139 a barrel. Kuwait is in the best position, needing only a $45 oil price average to balance its budget.

Though a company is obviously different from a country, a major focus at TAG Oil has always been to keep production costs low, not just on the operations side but with G&A as well. TAG currently has a break-even point of US $34 per barrel ($25 – $27 /boe not including G&A). With Brent crude sitting at an average of $55 a barrel this year, we’re doing ok.

Check out Fitch’s forecast 2017 break-even oil prices, per barrel:

Nigeria at $139
Bahrain at $84
Angola at $82
Oman at $75
Saudi Arabia at $74
Russia at $72
Kazakhstan at $71
Gabon at $66
Azerbaijan at $66
Iraq at $61
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, at $60
Republic of Congo at $52
Qatar at $51
Kuwait at $45

Source
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by Assassin101: 12:48pm On Oct 24, 2018
make una kwantinu

una mumu never do
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by movetoca: 12:49pm On Oct 24, 2018
Very very soon they will ask every Nigerian to contribute N1,000 to fund the yearly budget.No good roads, no electricity, no good water. Every necessities of life is a miracle here. European zoos are even well managed compared to Nigeria. Why can't Nigerians ever get their shits right. Damn you blacks are sub humans.
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by Nobody: 12:49pm On Oct 24, 2018
yeah drown us in debt.
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by Ogaga87(m): 12:50pm On Oct 24, 2018
When the consequences of this our borrowing will come, the people situation of Greece will be a learner..

1 Like

Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by theoldpretender(m): 12:51pm On Oct 24, 2018
zombieTRACKER:

If you know the waste and leakages in govt

You wont spew this trash

1.Pay attention to my points...especially the bit where I say we have to fight corruption.

2.I am just defining the problem. Before we even talk about wastage...the fact is, we are not earning enough money from oil in the first place.The wastages make it worse.

(I think that our economic modelof relying on JUST exporting stuff , instead of making stuff...leaves us vulnerable to external adverse factors. )

3.Eventually, any sensible economic policy for Nigeria would be based on removing subsides, fighting corruption, spending more on power ...with the aim of inviting more investors,local and foreign. Once our economy is based on industrial development....we can move forward.(That's why I cant support APC or PDP....I don't see those stuff in their programs.Just more of the drab old populism..and chicken in the pot politics...without thought on how we would rear the chickens.).

p.s...I did not insult you, yet you chose to insult me. This is an anonymous forum, however, don't just go round insulting people you don't agree with. Thank you

Also,if you are responding, please make your points in decent language. I am open to disagreement , but I do not appreciate being called trash.
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by Wixelz(m): 12:52pm On Oct 24, 2018
when it comes to looting or for their own pockets, they unite, but keep mum wen it's for the masses.
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by tetralogyfallot(m): 12:57pm On Oct 24, 2018
theoldpretender:

Fitch Ratings, a global leader in financial information services, has offered up their per barrel of oil, break-even statistics on some of the major oil-producing nations in the Middle East, Africa and North Asia. To estimate the break-even price to attain a balanced budget, Fitch used an oil forecast of $52.50 a barrel, on average.

A few of the countries’ break-even numbers are astonishing—especially Nigeria—which is the worst off with an estimated oil price of $139 a barrel. Kuwait is in the best position, needing only a $45 oil price average to balance its budget.

Though a company is obviously different from a country, a major focus at TAG Oil has always been to keep production costs low, not just on the operations side but with G&A as well. TAG currently has a break-even point of US $34 per barrel ($25 – $27 /boe not including G&A). With Brent crude sitting at an average of $55 a barrel this year, we’re doing ok.

Check out Fitch’s forecast 2017 break-even oil prices, per barrel:

Nigeria at $139
Bahrain at $84
Angola at $82
Oman at $75
Saudi Arabia at $74
Russia at $72
Kazakhstan at $71
Gabon at $66
Azerbaijan at $66
Iraq at $61
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, at $60
Republic of Congo at $52
Qatar at $51
Kuwait at $45

Source

u mean we need oil to be $139 per barrel before we can stop looking for loans?
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by theoldpretender(m): 1:02pm On Oct 24, 2018
KanwuliaMama:

Shameless ijjiot!
See U.A.E or CHINA una mates and talk of real reforms.

ODE! kiss

Local tout like you will always settle for crumbs.

1.UAE is an oil dependent economy. Thing is, they produce the same amount of oil as does Nigeria for a population of just 11 million people.(Nigeria has 200million people) As a result...they have more money to spend

UAE's breakeven is $60 perbarrel. Right now, they are earning an extra $20 per barrel. Nigeria's breakeven is $140 per barrel...we are losing $60 per barrel by contrast.

(If all the oil money we earned in Nigeria was spent on the South South alone, it could look like the UAE.)

2.China has an industrial economy...which is based on heavy manufacturing. They have a lot of techincians too(Nigeria is a country that despises techincal people...instead everyone wants to go to university). If we were to follow China's example. there would be some years of hardship...but it would be worth it.
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by KanwuliaMama: 1:07pm On Oct 24, 2018
theoldpretender:

1.UAE is an oil dependent economy. Thing is, they produce the same amount of oil as does Nigeria for a population of just 11 million people.(Nigeria has 200million people) As a result...they have more money to spend

UAE's breakeven is $60 perbarrel. Right now, they are earning an extra $20 per barrel. Nigeria's breakeven is $140 per barrel...we are losing $60 per barrel by contrast.

(If all the oil money we earned in Nigeria was spent on the South South alone, it could look like the UAE.)

2.China has an industrial economy...which is based on heavy manufacturing. They have a lot of techincians too(Nigeria is a country that despises techincal people...instead everyone wants to go to university). If we were to follow China's example. there would be some years of hardship...but it would be worth it.

Keep making excuses!
Nigeria is a WASTEFUL economy riddled with CORRUPTION.

With what Nigeria earns, Nigeria can be self-sufficient by prudent diversification and less minimal corruption.

What economic policy does Nigeria have other than LOOTING and WASTEFUL SPENDING on irrelevant projects? undecided
Period!
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by theoldpretender(m): 1:09pm On Oct 24, 2018
tetralogyfallot:

1.Yes, that's the scary thing. (And by the way, that is one of the reasons why GEJ was borrowing even with the high oil prices of his regime...because we did not have enough cash from oil).

2.Let's put it into persepctive. You have two familes A and B and in both familes., husband and wife earn N400000 combined in both familes per month. Family A has 2 children, family B has 10 children plus dependents. As a result...family A has no financial worries, family B has financial worries...and has to borrow....despite both A and B having the same income.

Nigeria's population is too big for the amount of oil revenue we earn. That's why everybody feels marginalised.(And that's why despite producign the same amount as the UAE...we have more issues)

3.That;s why we have to urgently diversify....and eventually do as China did...and become an industrial powerhouse. Indistrialising however takes time...and means many lean years. That;s why APC nor PDP wants to do that....they would rather follow polices of sharing the money.Then there is the nauseating corruption....

1 Like

Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by Snowangel007: 1:10pm On Oct 24, 2018
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by Xisnin(m): 1:10pm On Oct 24, 2018
Buhari will destroy Nigeria's economy with debt.
Debt is never a good thing.
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by KanwuliaMama: 1:11pm On Oct 24, 2018
tetralogyfallot:

Thank you for this question.
Recovered loot nko? grin
Wasteful spending by CORRUPT ILLITERATES!

No accountability whatsoever!
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by theoldpretender(m): 1:13pm On Oct 24, 2018
KanwuliaMama:

Keep making excuses!
Nigeria is a WASTEFUL economy riddled with CORRUPTION.

With what Nigeria earns, Nigeria can be self-sufficient by prudent diversification and less minimal corruption.

What economic policy does Nigeria have other than LOOTING and WASTEFUL SPENDING on irrelevant projects? undecided
Period!

Well it is...I doubt i have denied that in any of my posts.

What I am doing is trying to explain WHY we are borrowing. We are not earning enough money. That makes things bad...but throw in the wastefulness you speak of, and it makes things worse.

We should cut waste...but we should also accept that we are not a rich nation, and spend our little money SENSIBLY (Which would help cut waste...).

P.S I am not an apologist for the APC government. As a Nigerian, I am dissapointed in the corruption and waste that I see. But...the corruption and waste is making a bad situation worse.
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by KanwuliaMama: 1:16pm On Oct 24, 2018
theoldpretender:

Well it is...I doubt i have denied that in any of my posts.

What I am doing is trying to explain WHY we are borrowing. We are not earning enough money. That makes things bad...but throw in the wastefulness you speak of, and it makes things worse.

We should cut waste...but we should also accept that we are not a rich nation, and spend our little money SENSIBLY (Which would help cut waste...).

P.S I am not an apologist for the APC government. As a Nigerian, I am dissapointed in the corruption and waste that I see. But...the corruption and waste is making a bad situation worse.

You cannot keep borrowing to finance an expensive, psychedelic drug-addiction!

That is the case of Nigeria and Africa!
The borrowing is NEVER justified!

You don’t earn enough money, but politicians siphone BILLIONS ANNUALLY? undecided
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by emmy2807(m): 1:59pm On Oct 24, 2018
theoldpretender:

When PDP was borrowing...it was all good, eh?

Plus....EVEN if Atiku wins in 2019....I doubt we would STOP borrowing. The problem is, we are not earning enough from oil...and we have to borrow to make ends meet.

Diversificaiton is the answer....

I agree with you, the economy has to be diversified, even with the oil boom jonathan still borrowed, so the borrowing would have to continue till we can fund our budget by ourselves. if the president refuse to borrow, we would move from recession to depression and even oblivion if we are not careful.
borrowing is therefore not the problem but is the borrowed money being used well? and diversification is the only way forward.
anybody, notice that more construction are ongoing at the momemt, why is this so? could it be campaign strategy?
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by CapussoSeba: 2:38pm On Oct 24, 2018
smiley
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by Angrymode: 2:47pm On Oct 24, 2018
The annoying part is that this govt still boasts of increased savings somewhere. Geez! Money borrowed is money owed and if it exceeds your savings, you are living on a negative scale.

The amount of money borrowed by this stupid govt just to do stupid things will keep us as a country on a negative financial scale that even our great great grand children can't upturn

This clueless govt has mortgaged our future and some wicked people still wants to vote for them - so sad!!!!
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by Angrymode: 2:50pm On Oct 24, 2018
emmy2807:

I agree with you, the economy has to be diversified, even with the oil boom jonathan still borrowed, so the borrowing would have to continue till we can fund our budget by ourselves. if the president refuse to borrow, we would move from recession to depression and even oblivion if we are not careful.
borrowing is therefore not the problem but is the borrowed money being used well? and diversification is the only way forward.
anybody, notice that more construction are ongoing at the momemt, why is this so? could it be campaign strategy?

What about managing with what we have while we gradually pay back these massive loans with wicked interest rates? Let's suffer now so that our children may enjoy.

If this borrowing doesn't stop, our children will be born into hellish shithole.
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by Nobody: 3:10pm On Oct 24, 2018
kennygee:
The people agreeing to borrow this country are the real enemies of this nation.

they're not enemies. debt is good when well utilized. blame the wise men at the two chambers
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by Reference(m): 4:00pm On Oct 24, 2018
theoldpretender:
So long as oil does not reach the breakeven price...we will continue to borrow.

Oil is at $81. To balance the budget...we need it to be at $140 as at last year. (Saudi Arabia needs it by $86,Kuwait at $45).

If you want to stop borrowing we have to do several things....

1.Diversify the economy...short term, agric and extractive/solid minerals. Long term, INDUSTRIES
2.Cut waste by .....removing subsides, ACTUALLY fighting corruption, and reducing the size of government.
3.Spending more on power deliberately.
4.Security.

In my honest opinion, we cannot just stop borrowing. If we do that, we would end up with an even worse situation than now.

Modified

1.For more information about breakeven prices...see here.

2.Please if you are quoting me, I am ready for any post disagreeing with me. But any sign of bad language would get you reported to the moderators. I have insulted no one on this thread, and I see no reason why you should insult me. Thank you.

3.I won't be voting APC or PDP in this upcoming election. In my opinion, they aren't doing what we need to get usout of this mess. Esepcially when it comes to wasteful spending on subsides, governance cost, corruption, etc.

Did I not tell you folks not to subsidize the dollar in order to stimulate more local production. Now that Mr. President has squandered all the good will he will not be able to implement any hard hitting reforms.

We are stuck in a viscious cycle. I hope Mr. Emefiele is happy. At least be will not get the blame when our debt eventually sinks us. To borrow into an unproductive system is a cardinal financial sin.
Re: Reps Approve More Borrowing For Presidency by Skybee1(m): 4:51pm On Oct 24, 2018
Wetin them dy borrow all this money carry do sef. So who go come pay all the debt now.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BREAKING: Nigerian Troops Arrest Sunday Igboho, 20 Others (Pictures) / This is the world's chilliest person, (not even armed robbers could scare him) / APC PCC Media Directorate Meet Journalists Ahead Of Tinubu's Town Hall Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.