Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,056 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos (17884 Views)

Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown / Road Permits: Traveller Complains Of Having To Get Over 80 From Delta To Anambra / Pictures Of The New International Terminal At MMIA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by Throwback: 8:35pm On Oct 26, 2018
One of many evidences that corruption still abounds everywhere as Buhari has only concentrated on the corruption within the political class.

Also an indication that those Buhari has appointed at the respective ministries and agencies, are not at all interested in any anti-corruption fight.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by tunary(m): 8:35pm On Oct 26, 2018
Always like to take advantage of slight opportunity
Nigerian self we like to extract and extort
Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by bayocanny: 8:36pm On Oct 26, 2018
PrincessB1:
Naija
Naija which way undecided
lol, you're so funny
Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by btoks: 8:40pm On Oct 26, 2018
Abbeyme:
Deal with it bro!

That's how we roll here
Unfortunately, this will keep us stuck 100 years behind others who do not roll like this!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by eddie7: 8:46pm On Oct 26, 2018
This man funny die.... Airport abi, waiting for police checkpointssssssssssss.... Road safety, vigilante.....u never Sabi where u enter

1 Like

Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by Phoenix111: 8:47pm On Oct 26, 2018
That is our country, lot of things are not bn done right, no check & balance, u can bribe ur way anywhere, u can get rich overnight & become a celeb! Haha, even d victim will celebrate their tormentor ignorantly, because of d high level of poverty. Nigeria is a country where people get paid to participate in a protest, so disgusting dt if u protest dt a corrupt individual should be jailed, there will be a counter protest 4rm anoda set of people, paid mourners everywhere in Nigeria, I weep 4 our dear nation, but nevertheless I've got a very strong hope & believe in d project A BETTER NIGERIA by d special Grace of d almighty God......

6 Likes

Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by lonlytroy(m): 8:50pm On Oct 26, 2018
And buhari is fighting korruption
Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by macaranta(m): 8:50pm On Oct 26, 2018
Very normal stuff, sorry
Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by biztip: 8:50pm On Oct 26, 2018
oga foreigner . sorry o. extortion na common thing for naija. even in churches iits worst. even for mortuary na same.

Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by Nobody: 8:50pm On Oct 26, 2018
All the Officer's that worked on that shift should be Arrested and Detained Until final investigation...

2 Likes

Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by ollyruffy: 8:51pm On Oct 26, 2018
We don't need evidence in this case. Any ordinary citizen of nigeria that has passed through that airport can testify to the way those immigration officers extort every traveler.

At every check point you meet them, they ask for bribe and look for means of extorting you.

It is national disgrace what those officials practice at that airport.

If they extort their fellow Nigerians. How much more a foreigner.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by seXytOhbAd(m): 8:52pm On Oct 26, 2018
Lol...this is a rhetoric being pushed to show that Nigeria is lagging behind economically Easedoing business index
Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by otokx(m): 8:54pm On Oct 26, 2018
Extortion is part of the everyday Nigerian culture, few engage not therein.

Churches and Mosques are full to the brim.
Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by writeprof(m): 8:54pm On Oct 26, 2018
dontecrosofiso:
Exactly thing and comments working in Nairobi Kenyan International Airport. Let all the travellers raise this issues worldwide.

I hope it is allowed to trend because this nonsense they do at the airport is just so so embarrassing. And they have refused to stop, my first experience years ago, I was forced to give them something, and the second time, I refused angrily. You get to the other countries whether poor or rich you don't see this attitude at their own side!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by miqos02(m): 8:57pm On Oct 26, 2018
True talk
Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by Zane2point4(m): 8:59pm On Oct 26, 2018
ollyruffy:
We don't need evidence in this case. Any ordinary citizen of nigeria that has passed through that airport can testify to the way those immigration officers extort every traveler.

At every check point you meet them, they ask for bribe and look for means of extorting you.

It is national disgrace what those officials practice at that airport.

If they extort their fellow Nigerians. How much more a foreigner.

Honestly, and if you refuse to give them a tip they will delay you, its a normal thing, atimes i frown at this, expecially if you're a first timer they will so task you at every check point.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by wayodude(m): 9:03pm On Oct 26, 2018
This is not news. I visited Nigeria last year using a foreign passport and a travel certificate. I applied for a Nigerian passport in June as I knew I will be travelling there in September. Come September I went to the Nigerian high commission but still no passport because they still didn't have any booklets lol

They eventually said 'okay we will give you an emergency travel certificate to travel to Nigeria and you can use your British passport when returning'. This was what I aimed to do but at the Lagos airport on my way back they were asking me for stuff that I didn't even know what they meant.

They did offer me a quick solution though, you can guess what it entailed yea?

After which they said thank you oga, greet Theresa May for us lol crazy people

4 Likes

Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by Realdeals(m): 9:03pm On Oct 26, 2018
These act still happen under Mr integrity.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by Ventura1: 9:08pm On Oct 26, 2018
This is another reason we need a leader like Sowore, dem no born dem well whenever he's passing. They all fear him, even DSS officers.

2 Likes

Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by pat1612(m): 9:14pm On Oct 26, 2018
This one is not new whenever i travel in and oit of lagos immigration officers even customs ask for money. If you pay you zoom of all stress if not you will be stop at first customs check before boarding second at immigration desk after security check one more customs desk and then when u reach to boarding gate they check u again for dollars u r carrying again customs grin
If u know the drill and u know how to tackle them and u r not carrying anything illegal u can boldly tell them oga i am not paying u a dime.
When everyone passing through airport starts saying NO is when they will stop asking but in order to avoid stress we find easy way out to give them 500 or 1000 naira and walk away
I know wrong things are happening at airport in lagos but if u are right u won't pay. Most of time my transit is ethopia another african country and i have never face same stres as i do in nigeria.
But still things can work here hope for best people will change grin

1 Like

Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by hisgrace090: 9:16pm On Oct 26, 2018
AutoReportNG:
@Lalasticlala

I think the Immigration needs to check the CCTV and summon all the officers on duty that day and within that time, also, let there be a transfer of all officers who have spent like 6 months and above to other locations maybe to roads or other administrative areas.

These guys are a disgrace to all Nigerians all cos of greed

By then the ogas will loose their returns.
Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by PrincessB1(f): 9:23pm On Oct 26, 2018
bayocanny:

lol, you're so funny
Abi o grin
Extortion in Naija is just too much

1 Like

Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by exlink10(m): 9:27pm On Oct 26, 2018
hmmmmmmmm

the only thing i got say is

THIS IS NIGERIA
Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by exlink10(m): 9:28pm On Oct 26, 2018
hmmmmmmmm

the only thing i got say is

THIS IS NIGERIA
Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by buchai: 9:30pm On Oct 26, 2018
brain damaging controls in Nigeria right are very high people dont use their brains again due to noise and lies pollution.
Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by AutoReportNG: 9:33pm On Oct 26, 2018
hisgrace090:

By then the ogas will loose their returns.

Thats the best way to do it..
Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by Nobody: 9:33pm On Oct 26, 2018
I found it very hilarious and disingenuous that Mr. Kola Tubosun was questioning the journalist and demanding evidence to show that he was extorted. You do not have to be residing in Nigeria or be a citizen of the country to know how corrupt the country is. All any foreigner needs to do to see how corrupt Nigeria is is just to visit. So, for Mr. Tubosun to act like corruption in Nigeria is a far-fetched notion and to demand evidence from the reporter is actually what is wrong with Nigeria. For us to begin to deal with our issues as a country, we MUST not be like an ostrich with our heads buried in the sand and act like all is well in our neighborhood. To be able to deal with a problem, one must first acknowledge that there's a problem and not be in denial like we tend to be. We must stop our "face saving" ways and see Nigeria for what it trully is. I am not sure who Mr. Tubosun is or if he was a goverment official or a spoke person for the Immigration Office and was acting in that capacity as evidenced in his text exchange with the reporter, but all I know is that any reasonable Nigerian born of a woman knows or ought to know that NIGERIA is a very corrupt place!

3 Likes

Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by brojoshua: 9:34pm On Oct 26, 2018
The one who wrote this is himself a liar going by the way he began the write-up. A liar does not know himself or the people of his country well.
The truth is that almost all we Nigerians are wickedly corrupt, almost all of us are wicked, selfish, foolish, greedy, blind, myopic, etc. These are the only reasons why our country is like this, these are the reasons why our roads, education, hospitals and health services, security, etc, are like these. From top downward, from leaders to followers, from pastors to their sheep or goats, from educated people to illustrate, etc.
Now as for corruption in the airport, it's very glaring in that immediately you step into the airport in Lagos, many of the workers used to look for the ways to get money from you, some will result to begin you to drop what you bring for them from abroad....
By corruption we by ourselves destroyed everything in our country, we killed the airway, railway, we ate and destroyed both private and public organizations and companies where we should be work. We are destroying the country by our corruption, it's very disheartened
Re: Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos by anthony86(m): 9:38pm On Oct 26, 2018
It's hight time they legalised corruption in Nigeria. Since the days of Nzeogwu Nigeria has been fighting corruption.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Three University of Taraba Students Killed By Tree During Excursion To Cameroon / Cost Of Relocating Alone Or With Your Family From Nigeria To Uk/ Student Route / Road Linking Bida To Katcha LGA Of Niger State Destroyed By Heavy Rain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.