Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,563 members, 7,827,105 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate (3686 Views)

Dorsey: Elon Musk Couldn't Run Twitter; It All Went South After He Bought It / Man Shares His Experience With iPhone 11 He Bought For N17k / Which Mobile Network Provider Currently Offers More Data Vol At A Cheaper Price? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by Kingv(m): 7:21pm On Oct 26, 2018
Nwora Ike Obiora,

Some weeks back I was at the Lagos State High Court, Igbosere, Lagos Island before Honourable Justice Jose to be precise for a matter I had that day.

My matter was actually number 15 on the cause list. I was patiently waiting for my matter to be called up while I was observing other proceedings of the day.

Two matters away before mine could be called, a matter was called up. It was a criminal matter and was slated for judgment. The Defendant made entrance into the dock, parties announced appearances and the Judge proceeded with the judgment. Midway into the judgment, I could already seen the accused person being sentenced to death.

I was actually right in my conclusion as the Judge validated same when she convicted and sentenced the Defendant to death for the of Armed Robbery.

BRIEF FACTS OF THE CASE
Sometime in 2013, the Defendant bought a fairly used iPhone at a cheaper rate from someone he doesn't know, who claimed he needed money to solve a problem, hence the need to sell his phone. Fast forward to 2 months later, the Defendant was tracked and arrested.

He was charged to Court for armed robbery (an offence which carries a mandatory death sentence). The complainant had actually been robbed of his phone, car and other valuables at gunpoint and the said phone was sold to the unsuspecting Defendant.

The Judge relying on Section 167(a) of the Evidence Act 2011 which provides that anyone who is possession of a stolen goods soon after the theft is either the thief or has received them knowing them to be stolen unless he can account for his possession convicted and sentenced the Defendant to death.

LESSON(S)
- Avoid buying fairly used gadgets even from market overt.

- If you must buy fairly used gadgets, ensure that you know the vendor too well and that you can vouch for his or her integrity.

- Avoid the case of penny wise pound foolish. You save money to get a cheaper product only for you to spend times 1000 of the said sum later on.

22/10/2018

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by Duchessree(f): 9:21pm On Oct 26, 2018
hmm
Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by flexerking(m): 9:28pm On Oct 26, 2018
ahh death
Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by Darksider131: 9:41pm On Oct 26, 2018
People too dey lie

11 Likes

Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by Thegamingorca(m): 10:00pm On Oct 26, 2018
Darksider131:
People too dey lie

grin cheesy
Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by SirToothBrush: 10:00pm On Oct 26, 2018
The scary truth...
Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by Nbote(m): 10:01pm On Oct 26, 2018
Which kind story b Dis? Convicting someone to death for possession of a stolen fone? Abeg na lie jare

15 Likes

Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by sacajawea: 10:21pm On Oct 26, 2018
Kingv:
Nwora Ike Obiora,

Some weeks back I was at the Lagos State High Court, Igbosere, Lagos Island before Honourable Justice Jose to be precise for a matter I had that day.

My matter was actually number 15 on the cause list. I was patiently waiting for my matter to be called up while I was observing other proceedings of the day.

Two matters away before mine could be called, a matter was called up. It was a criminal matter and was slated for judgment. The Defendant made entrance into the dock, parties announced appearances and the Judge proceeded with the judgment. Midway into the judgment, I could already seen the accused person being sentenced to death.

I was actually right in my conclusion as the Judge validated same when she convicted and sentenced the Defendant to death for the of Armed Robbery.

BRIEF FACTS OF THE CASE
Sometime in 2013, the Defendant bought a fairly used iPhone at a cheaper rate from someone he doesn't know, who claimed he needed money to solve a problem, hence the need to sell his phone. Fast forward to 2 months later, the Defendant was tracked and arrested.

He was charged to Court for armed robbery (an offence which carries a mandatory death sentence). The complainant had actually been robbed of his phone, car and other valuables at gunpoint and the said phone was sold to the unsuspecting Defendant.

The Judge relying on Section 167(a) of the Evidence Act 2011 which provides that anyone who is possession of a stolen goods soon after the theft is either the thief or has received them knowing them to be stolen unless he can account for his possession convicted and sentenced the Defendant to death.

LESSON(S)
- Avoid buying fairly used gadgets even from market overt.

- If you must buy fairly used gadgets, ensure that you know the vendor too well and that you can vouch for his or her integrity.

- Avoid the case of penny wise pound foolish. You save money to get a cheaper product only for you to spend times 1000 of the said sum later on.

22/10/2018
Cheaper abi?

Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by Darksider131: 10:40pm On Oct 26, 2018
Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by PrincessB1(f): 11:16pm On Oct 26, 2018
Adonbilivit undecided
Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by Tonymegabush1(m): 11:18pm On Oct 26, 2018
I for once dnt like fairly used phone once I need a new phone even if the money no complete I will wait till am ready but op which can sentence be death option for in possession of stolen item I don't think it's possible

4 Likes

Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by Ejadike(m): 12:21am On Oct 27, 2018
This is scary... Op hope say na lie Sha?
Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by ednut1(m): 6:34am On Oct 27, 2018
Lies
Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by Youngboss54(m): 6:42am On Oct 27, 2018
are you guyz too lazy to read or too dumb to comprehendthe accused was convicted for armed robbery and not because he was in possession of a stolen good
Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by YoungBlackRico(m): 8:07am On Oct 27, 2018
Nbote:
Which kind story b Dis? Convicting someone to death for possession of a stolen fone? Abeg na lie jare
Just pray you're never at the mercies of Nigerian Judges.
Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by Xmen149(m): 8:16am On Oct 27, 2018
Nigeria lacks forensic investigation in every way, out law system and security outfit are the laziest in the world.

In developed countries, something personal from crime scene must exonerate him (almost invisible air fragment, spit, shoe pattern/size,dna leftover touching fabrics of victim, invisible gunpowder dusts etc) worse is the same judge will travel oversea and enjoy all their system and even expect it to be used for them if they or their ward have any issue over there,. But will be in a haste to sentence individuals on same just to quickly clear their table

Failed system

7 Likes

Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by lereinter(m): 9:44am On Oct 27, 2018
Although I don't know about the death penalty

But my friend spent almost 6mths with sars for buying an iphone which was said to be stolen

his people spent more than 400k to effect his release

2 Likes

Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by Tenny05(m): 10:25am On Oct 27, 2018
I have a fairly used TV to sell. contact me if you are interested. grin

1 Like

Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by tamunoinaemi: 11:46am On Oct 27, 2018

Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by stylochime: 11:54am On Oct 27, 2018
But the politicians who have robbed this country of money and its future will recieve a 1% fine penalty and then will be welcomed back their hometowns by hoards of people.
Nigeria, A country in Africa.
Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by Gmajor(m): 12:42pm On Oct 27, 2018
This sounds so fake. From what the op wrote, there is no evidence pointing the accused to the crime. Being in possession of a stolen good is a crime but it can't be linked to armed robbery without EVIDENCE.
So without evidence the police has no case. The accused can even get away with the being in possession of a stolen good charge if he has a good attorney.

1 Like

Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by will2lead(m): 1:24pm On Oct 27, 2018
Order yours today 0806960629

Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by dadalicious: 1:37pm On Oct 27, 2018
Nbote:
Bros
I have seen it live
Very true
It is the position of the law. In cases like this you have to beg the complainant to strike off the case before it goes to court.
Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by Bradiyung(m): 2:46pm On Oct 27, 2018
wow what a stupid way to go
Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by Kenekingisback: 6:03pm On Oct 27, 2018
Oh it is a Lagos Court sef embarassed embarassed
But the court would not do anything about the massive looting by Bourdillion cool

1 Like

Re: He Bought His Death At A "Cheaper" Rate by saxby(f): 6:54pm On Oct 27, 2018
Him for use him money kukuma go buy one cheap tecno f1, it's just 19000

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

New Airtel Blackberry Plan / Used Iphone 6S Plus For Sale In Abuja / Wow, Check Out This Angry Earbud. Looks Really Angry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.