Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,802 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

Later May Be Late - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Later May Be Late (295 Views)

A Black Man Got Fired For Helping A Sick Woman Few Weeks Later He Got The Shock / Nigerians Will Appreciate Buhari Later / Please Take Time To Read This And Thank Me Later (2) (3) (4)

Later May Be Late by NhSnailwrites(f): 8:56pm On Oct 26, 2018
"When our health fails, everything about us fails."
LATER MAY BE LATE is a short play that urges us to look after our health.
Take care of you, take care of your health.*winks*
© Dada Dorcas
Criticism will be highly welcomed - we all aren't perfect.
Thank you.
Re: Later May Be Late by NhSnailwrites(f): 8:59pm On Oct 26, 2018
One.

Naomi: Madam, give me two indomie (hungry man size), two eggs and a bottle of fanta.

Kiosk owner: okay ma. Na im b dis ( hands Naomi a nylon containing the items)

Naomi: ehnehn Thank you (leaves)

(This is Naomi Jidlaph, an obese lady of 25 years with zero concern for her health)

( following morning: Naomi eating in her room when her sister,Nancy interrupts her)

Nancy: Eewo! Big sis, what's this?

Naomi: (with food in her mouth) well,you see for yourself; beans,egg & milk. Want to join me?

Nancy: Aaah, me ke? No,thanks.

Naomi: Kk (continues eating)

(Nancy goes to her mom, Mrs Jidlaph in the kitchen)

Nancy: Mom, sis Naomi is really getting out of hand.

Mom: (stops washing the plates) why do you say so?

Nancy: I just saw her eating beans,egg & milk. Just imagine that combination mom.

Mom: Hmm... This girl will not kill me.

Nancy: Mom, please do something about it (makes to rinse the plates her mom was washing)

Mom: Alright dear, I will.

(At night, same day. The Jidlaphs in the sitting room chatting)

Mr Jidlaph (Dad): Alright alright (hands in surrender) Starting with my beautiful wife (facing his wife) What do I get you?

Mom: Uhmmm... a bunch of roses will do. You know I love flowers.

Dad: (smiling) Alright, taken. (Faces Nancy) What about you, baby of the house?

Nancy: (smiles) Dad, am okay with shoes.

Dad: (grins) shoes it is. And you, Nammy (faces Naomi)

Naomi: Well Dad, I want chocolates, ice cream, hamburger and... yes,yes, yes.. hot dog. How I love hot dogs!

Dad,mom &Nancy: (all sigh in unison)

Naomi: (confused) What? Did I say something wrong?

[Curtain]
Re: Later May Be Late by NhSnailwrites(f): 9:02pm On Oct 26, 2018
Two.

(Naomi, sweating profusely & holding a file jacket containing her credentials goes straight to the refrigerator as she entered into the house)

Mom: Nammy, did anything go wrong? Not even a greeting?

Naomi: (stops drinking from her glass of water) I'm sorry mom. I'm just fed up.

Mom: That's okay dear. Tell me what happened.

Naomi: (sighs) I didn't get the job again. I was told there were thirty applicants. Imagine mom, thirty applicants for the post of a secretary!

Mom: What! Na wa o

Naomi: I've been in search of a job for the past three years and each search has always been futile. I'm fed up (head bowed)

Mom: Come on, Nammy. Don't give up now. Just keep trying okay?

Naomi: Okay mom, thanks. (Smiling now) Mom, anything to eat? I'm really hungry.

Nancy: (pressing her phone, cut in) I suggest a thorough washing of your body first. Her eyes met her sister's as she adds 'you stink...'

Naomi: (glares at her sister)

( few months later, Naomi and her friend Jennifer discussing)

Jennifer: Naomi, how's it going with job matters?

Naomi: Hmm, my dear, no good news at all.

Jennifer: Eyar... God will provide you a good job in Jesus name.

Naomi: Amen o. Thank you

Jennifer: But really, when do you plan to start working out? Your obesity isn't helping matters too, you know?

Naomi: (scratches neck) Uhmmm, I'll start next month. I've even downloaded some workout apps on my phone.

Jennifer: it's not just downloading... it's about really working out. Remember, health is wealth. The earlier the better.

Naomi: Thank you Doctor Jenny (giggling)

Jennifer: (smiling) You are welcome, secretary Nammy.

[Curtain]
Re: Later May Be Late by NhSnailwrites(f): 9:10pm On Oct 26, 2018
Three.

(Argument between dad and daughter)

Dad: Do you even realize your age? Naomi, you're 25! 25! Your mates already have one job or the other but all you do is sit & eat all day. Just look at yourself! What kind of man would even want to marry you? You fat sheet!

Naomi: (already crying) Dad, do you have to be so harsh?

Dad: Sure... and I'll be even more harsh if you fail to get yourself a job this month. Woman (faces Mrs Jidlaph) talk to your daughter (carries his briefcase & leaves for work)

Naomi: (sobbing out loud)

Mom: (pats Naomi on her back) it's okay dear

Naomi: (continues sobbing)

(A week later)

Naomi: ( feeling pains) What...is wrong with me? (she went downstairs where her mom & sister were sitting. Now,sweating. She calls gently...) M-o-m 
(The next thing: she collapsed)

Mom & Nancy: (runs to her and taps her vigorously) Nammy! Nammy! Nammy!

(At the hospital)
(Mom & Nancy pacing back & forth praying. Soon,Dad joined them)

Doctor: Mr Jidlaph?

Dad: Yes,yes doctor..how is she?

Mom: (asked impatiently) Doctor, how is our daughter?

Doctor: Erm... Madam, please calm down. Mr Jidlaph, I'd like to see you in my office.

Dad: Okay sir

Mom: No o let's go together. Nancy, you stay here & continue praying.

Nancy: Okay mom

(Doctor's office)

Doctor: Your daughter is fine but...

Husband & wife: But what, doctor?

Doctor: Please calm down. Well, it appears she hasn't been watching what she eats. So we ran some tests & it appears she has Diabetes mellitus (type 2). This was caused by...

Husband & wife: Dia what!?

Doctor: Please calm down. (As if enjoying the look on Naomi's parents, the doctor continued) It was caused by her excessive body weight & not enough exercise.

Mr & Mrs Jidlaph: *crying *

Doctor: Also, due to her obesity, physical inactivity etc, she developed a breast cancer. She's lucky we detected it on time as it is still in stage T1 so we'd have to perform a quadrantectomy surgery on her. So...

Mr & Mrs Jidlaph: (look at each other & back to the doctor) Cancer

Doctor: Yes, cancer.

Do doctors really have sympathy? Lol

[Curtain]

Thomas Fuller said: Too much food overcharges nature, and turns more into disease than nourishment.

Here comes the end of Later May Be Late.
I agree it's too short; I'll work on that. Thanks for reading.

A Nairalander's Message To A Lazy Person / Make Easy Cash Without Referrals Just Your Phone / Merit & Lilian Dream Chase