Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,035 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku (1280 Views)

Supreme Court: Nigerians Are The Bigger Losers, Not Me – Atiku / 'If They Like Let Them Vote For Me" - Atiku Says In This Interview / 2019: Go And Settle With Your God, Not Me; Atiku Tells Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by Racoon(m): 6:35pm On Oct 27, 2018
The presidential flag bearer of the main opposition, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, on Friday maintained that his latest endorsement by The Economist Magazine, “puts to lies the recent ridiculous claims” made by Alhaji Lai Mohammed, that the international media is askance of his candidature.

According to a statement which emanated from his campaign office in Abuja, this latest endorsement by the international media, which is the second in two months, is because of the detailed policies he plans to implement if elected.

The statement added: “This is the second endorsement in as many months by the world’s number one economic and policy magazine.

An endorsement based on the clarity of vision and the detailed policies of the PDP’s candidate when compared to the vague and empty promises of the incumbent All Progressive Congress administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.

“As the Economist rightly states, the issues in 2019 are “popular frustration over the rise in joblessness and poverty (two of the biggest voter concerns) on Mr Buhari’s watch, as well as growing insecurity in central Nigeria.”

ALSO READ: PDP blasts APC over fabrications against Atiku, Obi

“No other candidate has the capacity to address these challenges, like Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, under whose watch as Chairman of the National Council on Privatisation, Nigeria had her highest growth in job numbers.

“Indeed, His Excellency, Atiku Abubakar, is poised to translate the significant success he has made in his private business empire to the public sector. This anticipation is responsible for the momentum he now enjoys in all the six geopolitical zones of Nigeria.

“For the past one year, Mr Abubakar has traversed the length and breadth of Nigeria, selling his plans, vision and policies to Nigerians. Unfortunately, rather than do the same, the All Progressive Congress has focused on negative campaigning by slandering Mr Abubakar’s past.

“We are not surprised by their actions. When a man’s future intimidates people, they focus on lying about his past because they cannot compete in the present. However, we thank The Economist for proving that no matter how far and fast falsehood has travelled, it must eventually be overtaken by the truth.

“For now, we remind Nigerians that Atiku means JOBS. And by providing the atmosphere for Jobs, Opportunity, Being United (JOBS), Atiku Abubakar is ready to Get Nigeria Working Again.”

https://www.tribuneonlineng.com/170823/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by Addme: 6:36pm On Oct 27, 2018
Even if not Economist,every sane International media will adopt you and sing your praises.The difference between you and Buhari is crystal clear.You have managed and still managing different successful conglomerates while Bubu has not even successfully managed Aisha.
I'm very sure if given a chance,Aisha will Atikulate.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by Racoon(m): 6:41pm On Oct 27, 2018
“It seems that in all these years, Atiku Abubakar, unlike many other politicians, has faithfully kept his operations room active and working, consistently seeing the mood of the nation, and addressing it through critical and strategic media engagements.”

Odidi said Atiku has continued to raise awareness about the challenges that confront Nigerians, “and proffering solutions at the same time”.He added: “As we stand today, no other politician looks as prepared as Atiku Abubakar is.

https://www.thecable.ng/.W8oBUT3yXlc.whatsapp

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by bluke(m): 6:52pm On Oct 27, 2018
You have economic wand or you can do economic abracadabra.

3 Likes

Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by babyphaze07(m): 7:10pm On Oct 27, 2018
If your main aim of contesting is win and steal more money and divide Nigeria more along ethnic and religion, you won't get there. But if truly you will put this nation on roads to recovery in all aspect, God will put you there.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by omokab: 7:21pm On Oct 27, 2018
I dont know how an economist will adopt you as the prefer candidate when your hands are not clean. Youruba use to say ' omo ole tondajo ohun na ni yo ko" that is a thief that is making a group money contribution , he is the one that will still steal the money. How can a looter be good in economy ? An economy that is full of stealing and looting can never grow. The worst you can do is to steal 95 percent and realease the remaining to the public believeing that economy is growing but with time that economy will crash and lead us back to recess and high inflation.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by nijabazaar: 7:25pm On Oct 27, 2018
The Economist is so powerful these days....

The other day, Trump nearly had a cardiac arrest because of them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by saintjimos(m): 7:25pm On Oct 27, 2018
THE BEST
HIS THE BEST

VOTE THE BEST

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by VaselineCrew: 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2018
Nobody endorsed you and nobody endorsed Buhari.

In 2019, Nigerians will vote with their conscience and vote Sowore into power, so that Nigeria can join other nations in the 21st century.

We do not want APC and PDP and their useless and analog form of Government.

Nigerians want it to be that Americans will be begging for their Visa, not that Nigerians will be running to Libya when we have Oil, Gold, Uranium, Agriculture...

Nigerians are tired of Suffering and Smiling

Nigerians are tired of being looked down on by other countries.

We are ready to have the most educated president in Nigerias history in Sowore with a Masters in Public Administration from Columbia University and an Undergrad in the prestigious University of Lagos.

Sowore 2019

Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by Realdealguy: 7:27pm On Oct 27, 2018
I just hope you do well as a president

4 Likes

Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by grandstar(m): 8:06pm On Oct 27, 2018
omokab:
I dont know how an economist will adopt you as the prefer candidate when your hands are not clean. Youruba use to say ' omo ole tondajo ohun na ni yo ko" that is a thief that is making a group money contribution , he is the one that will still steal the money. How can a looter be good in economy ? An economy that is full of stealing and looting can never grow. The worst you can do is to steal 95 percent and realease the remaining to the public believeing that economy is growing but with time that economy will crash and lead us back to recess and high inflation.

An economy that is full of looting and steali ng will not grow? Who told you that? I am sure it is not a world class economist but head knowledge

Truth is an economy can grow very fast despite high levels of corruption. A recent case in point is China which had average growth rates of 9% despite high levels of corruption.

Pat Utomi once said the nation should allow the political class steal all oil earned revenue but put in place good economic policies and the economy can still flourish

What the country badly needs now are pro-market forces many which Atiku is bound to implement

He has already spoken about ending the multiple exchange rates which Buhari introduced which simply shouts at foreign investors that someone with a lamentable understanding of economics is in power

Atiku may be corrupt but he is passionate about the country and governing it well. It can be seen from his body langauge

Atiku may be 1 + 1 = 2 and 1 disappears

Buhari is 1 + 1 = 4 but insist he knows maths

You can still plan with Atiku's 1 + 1 = 2 but 1 + 1 = 5 makes no sense and you can't plan with it

That's why the economy is so bad

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 27, 2018
Racoon:

https://www.tribuneonlineng.com/170823/
Roger3d will accuse The Economist of being IPOB magazine.

Cc lzaa eternaltruths jumpandpas velocity25

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by omokab: 8:37pm On Oct 27, 2018
grandstar:

An economy that is full of looting and steali ng will not grow? Who told you that? I am sure it is not a world class economist but head knowledge

Truth is an economy can grow very fast despite high levels of corruption. A recent case in point is China which had average growth rates of 9% despite high levels of corruption.

Pat Utomi once said the nation should allow the political class steal all oil earned revenue but put in place good economic policies and the economy can still flourish

What the country badly needs now are pro-market forces many which Atiku is bound to implement

He has already spoken about ending the multiple exchange rates which Buhari introduced which simply shouts at foreign investors that someone with a lamentable understanding is in power

Atiku may be corrupt but he is passionate about the country and governing it well. It can be seen from his body langauge

You can still plan with Atiku's 1 + 1 = 2 but 1 + 1 = 5 makes no sense and you can't plan with it

so what you are saying is that china is growing despite the high level of corruption abi? Sorry you are lying . Am not abusing but just to say the fact. China have a good policy of killing loooters you can ask for the fact. China have the highest foreign reserve in the whole world far more better than america. If all those money have been looted do think their economy will grow. The answer is capital NO. You as welll said pat utomi. Gave an analysis that if the money is looted and use for to establis a company , the country will be progressing. Pat is a thief then and a bad economist. So he was saying the national treasry should be looted and individual stealling the money should be using our money to employ us and become our boss with his family. Hes not serious. If all the money in fedration account together with the foriegn resrve were looted how do you want infrstructures to grow along with economy? Is it possible for a looter to use the billions he stole to contruct roads across the country? How do you want us to trade in international market? Because the money that should competing in internal market has been stolen. How do you want salary of work force to be paid just like borrowing in 2014 to pay workers by federal government?who will finance agriculture?etc
My friend economy that is not protected from the handsof looters ccan never grow.
Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by grandstar(m): 10:15pm On Oct 27, 2018
omokab:
so what you are saying is that china is growing despite the high level of corruption abi? Sorry you are lying . Am not abusing but just to say the fact. China have a good policy of killing loooters you can ask for the fact. China have the highest foreign reserve in the whole world far more better than america. If all those money have been looted do think their economy will grow. The answer is capital NO. You as welll said pat utomi. Gave an analysis that if the money is looted and use for to establis a company , the country will be progressing. Pat is a thief then and a bad economist. So he was saying the national treasry should be looted and individual stealling the money should be using our money to employ us and become our boss with his family. Hes not serious. If all the money in fedration account together with the foriegn resrve were looted how do you want infrstructures to grow along with economy? Is it possible for a looter to use the billions he stole to contruct roads across the country? How do you want us to trade in international market? Because the money that should competing in internal market has been stolen. How do you want salary of work force to be paid just like borrowing in 2014 to pay workers by federal government?who will finance agriculture?etc
My friend economy that is not protected from the handsof looters ccan never grow.

What you are saying is incorrect

China may have a policy of killing looters but anyone that is a deep watcher of China will tell you it is usually those have fallen out with the powers that be in the Communist party that are executed for looting. China used to turn a blind eye to fraudulent officials in the past.

I am sure less than 0.1% of corrupt officials were executed. I will

Prior to the reign of the present premier there was lots of corruption in China and the economy was then growing at 10% annually. He is presently running an anti-corruption regime. Even now there are still serious complaints of selective justice.

Simply read the article here and understand what I mean - https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/world-report/2013/07/10/chinas-crazy-executions-dont-end-public-corruption That is fact for you.

The Democratic Republic of Congo is very corrupt and has been growing at 6% a year on average

The country has the most corrupt force in Africa followed by Nigeria and then Kenya. This shows you how corrupt a country is and that corruption itself is not enough to impede economic growth.

The foreign reserves does not belong to government and therefore can not be looted. Even extremely corrupt Abacha built the reserve from $500m to $8b within a 5 year period

Countries can still grow fast despite bad infrastructure

Taiwan is a good example. There is a joke in South East Asia that if you don't know how to get rid of a lazy employee, simply tell him he is transferred to Taipei and he will quit immediately, yet became a rich country

Italy despite relatively poor infrastructure still became a rich country due to the fact it joined the EEC which enabled it to open its market and gain massively be exporting to other member states

During the PDP years, despite high levels of corruption, the economy was growing at 7% annually

It was Buhari's bad economic policies that led to a recession

If government today could bring company tax rates down to 15%, bring lending rates down to 8%, the economy can grow by at least 8% annually for the next 10years with high levels of corruption

What you forget is that the private sector is very resilient and kind find ways to survive in the face of dreadful levels of corruption and bad infrastructure

The beauty of fast economic growth is that it will build the middle class which are the best ones to fight corruption to bring about substantial change in kleptomaniac tendencies in government officials

1 Like

Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by NaijaRoyalty(m): 10:18pm On Oct 27, 2018
Realdealguy:
I just hope you do well as a president
He will .

I'm sure
Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by LZAA: 11:48pm On Oct 27, 2018
quid:

Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by Bolustical: 11:50pm On Oct 27, 2018

Sebi The Economist editorial group is on INEC's voters register, let them come and vote you in now.

You will only win in Twitter, Nairaland (likes and shares)and the SE.
Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by Roger3D(m): 12:20am On Oct 28, 2018
[quote author=LZAA post=72467880][/quote] Why do you follow NK up and down?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by LZAA: 1:35am On Oct 28, 2018
Roger3D:
Why do you follow NK up and down?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by 0monnak0da: 1:47am On Oct 28, 2018
nijabazaar:
The Economist is so powerful these days....

The other day, Trump nearly had a cardiac arrest because of them.
Are you a cardiologist?
Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by tomakint: 1:50am On Oct 28, 2018
Bolustical:

Sebi The Economist editorial group is on INEC's voters register, let them come and vote you in now.

You will only win in Twitter, Nairaland (likes and shares)and the SE.

Nothing can save you from your chronic affliction of Buharism but I am too happy like many Nigerians that Atiku will be the next President of Nigeria in 2019 and you can as well do the needful to your soul since you choose to be a wicked soul still yearning for a waster of human lives and potentials to come back to power.
Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by 0monnak0da: 1:53am On Oct 28, 2018
Do some research
Who owns the Economist and what are their economic interests in Nigeria
Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by WhyMoD: 4:30am On Oct 28, 2018
That is the same reason why majority of Nigerians are supporting you sir.

Clarity of purpose over fake and unfounded promises.

Nigerians are tired of APC and Buhari.
Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by Nobody: 4:46am On Oct 28, 2018
omokab:
Na Buhari hand na clean undecided?
Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by omokab: 6:28am On Oct 28, 2018
grandstar:

What you are saying is incorrect

China may have a policy of killing looters but anyone that is a deep watcher of China will tell you it is usually those have fallen out with the powers that be in the Communist party that are executed for looting. China used to turn a blind eye to fraudulent officials in the past.

I am sure less than 0.1% of corrupt officials were executed. I will

Prior to the reign of the present premier there was lots of corruption in China and the economy was then growing at 10% annually. He is presently running an anti-corruption regime. Even now there are still seriousrec complaints of selective justice.

Simply read the article here and understand what I mean - https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/world-report/2013/07/10/chinas-crazy-executions-dont-end-public-corruption That is fact for you.

The Democratic Republic of Congo is very corrupt and has been growing at 6% a year on average

The country has the most corrupt force in Africa followed by Nigeria and then Kenya. This shows you how corrupt a country is and that corruption itself is not enough to impede economic growth.

The foreign reserves does not belong to government and therefore can not be looted. Even extremely corrupt Abacha built the reserve from $500m to $8b within a 5 year period

Countries can still grow fast despite bad infrastructure

Taiwan is a good example. There is a joke in South East Asia that if you don't know how to get rid of a lazy employee, simply tell him he is transferred to Taipei and he will quit immediately, yet became a rich country

Italy despite relatively poor infrastructure still became a rich country due to the fact it joined the EEC which enabled it to open its market and gain massively be exporting to other member states

During the PDP years, despite high levels of corruption, the economy was growing at 7% annually

It was Buhari's bad economic policies that led to a recession

If government today could bring company tax rates down to 15%, bring lending rates down to 8%, the economy can grow by at least 8% annually for the next 10years with high levels of corruption

What you forget is that the private sector is very resilient and kind find ways to survive in the face of dreadful levels of corruption and bad infrastructure

The beauty of fast economic growth is that it will build the middle class which are the best ones to fight corruption to bring about substantial change in kleptomaniac tendencies in government officials

our economy has entered recesss since 2014 but i can only tell you that buari slow in taking some quick decision open it to the people. Okonjo has already said we should be expecting it since 2014. I cant blame buari much on it as a new incoming presdent. Where he got it wrong is slow in appointing his cabinet. Also, almost all the country that over realied on oil went into economy resession due to lack of alternative to short fall in international oil price. I can still tell you that Nigeria is one of country that came out from this economy resess . Which means most of our used at that time worked out. Some of the counrties were still there looking for way out. Corruption in the whole world cant be totally killed but can be fight to a certainly levelincluding America. That is when you can be expecting good economy. Not really that stealling will not allow the economy to grow but at what rate. Is it in Nigeria that 90 percent of the looted fund are taking out of the economy to another country? What about of our dollars and other foreign currency ,where are they now. All the looted dollars were kept in an abadone houses. Take a look at this present primary election when politicians were sharing dollars, our frorign exchange improved a little better.
Now on the issue of tax policy. It doesnt work like by bringing down the company income tax to 18 percent as you said. I am an accountant and I also have my pgd in financial management. When pdp was there company income tax was 30 percent. And banking lending rate was 25 percent or even more some times. One of te policy to use when you are in economy resess is fiscal policy and the best you could do is to increase you tax and make sure that you have all avenue to collect adequate tax from wealthy people. This administation ha done a lot on that. Kuddos to fowler and his team o tat. Herreally helped this country on and it why we moved out economy ressess on time. Another area is to invest on insfrastructural development which govt has embark on it seriously. In the long run it will stabilize the economy. A nd a lot
Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by grandstar(m): 10:17am On Oct 28, 2018
omokab:
our economy has entered recesss since 2014 but i can only tell you that buari slow in taking some quick decision open it to the people. Okonjo has already said we should be expecting it since 2014. I cant blame buari much on it as a new incoming presdent. Where he got it wrong is slow in appointing his cabinet. Also, almost all the country that over realied on oil went into economy resession due to lack of alternative to short fall in international oil price. I can still tell you that Nigeria is one of country that came out from this economy resess . Which means most of our used at that time worked out. Some of the counrties were still there looking for way out. Corruption in the whole world cant be totally killed but can be fight to a certainly levelincluding America. That is when you can be expecting good economy. Not really that stealling will not allow the economy to grow but at what rate. Is it in Nigeria that 90 percent of the looted fund are taking out of the economy to another country? What about of our dollars and other foreign currency ,where are they now. All the looted dollars were kept in an abadone houses. Take a look at this present primary election when politicians were sharing dollars, our frorign exchange improved a little better.
Now on the issue of tax policy. It doesnt work like by bringing down the company income tax to 18 percent as you said. I am an accountant and I also have my pgd in financial management. When pdp was there company income tax was 30 percent. And banking lending rate was 25 percent or even more some times. One of te policy to use when you are in economy resess is fiscal policy and the best you could do is to increase you tax and make sure that you have all avenue to collect adequate tax from wealthy people. This administation ha done a lot on that. Kuddos to fowler and his team o tat. Herreally helped this country on and it why we moved out economy ressess on time. Another area is to invest on insfrastructural development which govt has embark on it seriously. In the long run it will stabilize the economy. A nd a lot

The economy was not in recession in 2014.

A recession is negative growth in 2 consecutive quarters. That was only experienced in 2016 due to the dearth of Forex to import raw materials and other goods due to Buhari pegging the Naira to the dollar at a rate he could not defend upon assumption of office in 2015immediately wrote off the government and predicted the Naira will hit 300 to a $1 by 2019.

This figure of 300 to a $1 was achieved by January 2016! grin grin Buhari for president! I laugh in IMF.

Who told you 90% of loooted funds is carted overseas ?Your sources of evidence.?

The real problem with many of you diehard Buhari supporters is that you're so hoodwinked by his impeccable characters that you can't see he is bungling.

Anything he does is good even when experts condemn him.

If it was a corrupt president that performed as woeful as did, you'll be demanding for his head on a plate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by Omeokachie: 10:43am On Oct 28, 2018
Reasonable people who mean well for Nigeria are endorsing Atiku.
Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by AnyoneButAtiku: 10:49am On Oct 28, 2018
Enjoy your 5 minutes in the spotlight, Mr Atikulooter.
Everyone needs solace at some point grin
Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by SpecialAdviser(m): 11:50am On Oct 28, 2018
grandstar:

He has already spoken about ending the multiple exchange rates which Buhari introduced which simply shouts at foreign investors that someone with a lamentable understanding of economics is in power

Epic but stop painting Buhari as a non corrupt man. Buhari is both corrupt and incompetent, Atiku may be corrupt but his success in business speaks a lot of great competence.

Nigerians need a competent leader at this time since no politician as it stands can claim non corrupt.
Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by velocity25(m): 12:15pm On Oct 28, 2018
[quote author=LZAA post=72467880][/quote]you mean Emma Powerful is now owner of The Economist
according to zombies?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Economist Endorsed Me ― Atiku by velocity25(m): 12:19pm On Oct 28, 2018
quid:

especially brown roof republic citizens

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Inside Story Of How And Why Atiku Left Nigeria Customs 30 Years Ago / I Am Sure Posterity Will Judge You Right, Mamora Tells Ambode / Father Mbaka:if Buhari Wins,i Will No That Mbaka Is A True Prophet Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.