Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,522 members, 7,816,279 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

2019: Southeast Leaders Worried Over Atiku’s Refusal To Single Term - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2019: Southeast Leaders Worried Over Atiku’s Refusal To Single Term (435 Views)

PDP State Chairmen Divided Over Demand For Ayu’s Sack, Single Term For Atiku / 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water / Atiku, S/east Rift Deepens Over Single Term Request (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2019: Southeast Leaders Worried Over Atiku’s Refusal To Single Term by murphyibiam15(m): 12:35pm On Oct 28, 2018
- Southeast PDP leaders are reportedly worried over PDP presidential candidate, Atiku’s failure to accept single term request
- The Igbo leaders reportedly want a southeasterner to succeed Atiku in 2023
- The southeast leaders had earlier accused Atiku of not consulting with them before choosing his running mate
There seems to be another brewing crisis for the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, in the southeast as the PDP leaders in the geopolitical zone reportedly put pressure on him to commit himself to a single term in office if he wins next year’s election.
The Nation reports that prominent Igbo leaders are said to have been putting pressure on Atiku to agree to do only one term in office as a condition for the geopolitical zone to support him.
The idea, Legit.ng gathers, is to pave the way for a southeasterner to succeed him in 2023.

There are, however, speculations that Atiku, who reportedly believes his choice of Peter Obi from the zone, is enough as an expression of his respect for the people, is not keen on doing just a single term.
Stakeholders, including prominent political leaders in the zone, are reportedly worried that the zone may have to wait till 2026 to have a shot at the presidency should Atiku insist on a double term, and goes on to win the 2019 election.
The Nation newspaper reports that the issue was the main subject of discussion at a meeting in Enugu last week when a committee earlier mandated to discuss the request with Atiku and his handlers reported back to the house.
The committee, sources said, informed the meeting that the PDP presidential candidate gave no definite answer to their proposal.
Those at the meeting were said to have expressed disappointment at the situation, coming so soon after Atiku was accused of not consulting them in picking Obi as his running mate.
Although Atiku had, in a previous interview allegedly pledged to do only one term, sources said he has refused so far to give any such undertaking since he was nominated at the Port Harcourt convention of the PDP.
Atiku was reportedly quoted in that interview as saying: “I have said it before on my own initiative… if I am elected as the president in 2019; I give an undertaking that I would only do one term… I am prepared to sign an undertaking to do only one term.”
Sources said he has not come forward to give effect to that vow since he got the PDP ticket.
A source close to him reportedly confirmed the development but denied that Atiku is now dodging the issue. He recalled that Atiku had publicly said he might do one term if elected.
He, however, frowned at what he described as an attempt to ‘box’ the PDP presidential hopeful to a corner even before he is elected president.
The source was quoted to have said:
“I can tell you categorically that Atiku, as a person, is committed to keeping his promises.
“But in politics, every little detail matters. While they may say he will win the confidence of the Igbo by signing an undertaking like that are they thinking of how his people from the North will feel about such move?
“We were all living witnesses to how such a commitment became the albatross of former President Jonathan.
“There is no crisis over this matter and it is not true that Atiku doesn’t want to discuss the issue. I suspect that those who claim to be acting on behalf of those making the demands are not being truthful about the real situation of things.
“If a man has given his words publicly and you still want more, then you will have to do more to get more.”
Meanwhile, a report by New Telegraph indicates that governors and leaders of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the southwest are currently strategising on ways to mitigate the incursion of Atiku into the zone ahead of the 2019 presidential election.
According to the report, leaders of the APC in the zone are frantically pushing to put the post-primary crisis in some states behind them and come together in the coming days and plan a winning strategy that will guarantee the re-election of President Muhammadu Buhari, ahead of the PDP candidate.
A leader in the ruling APC who was quoted in the report under the condition of anonymity gave more details.
His words: “The Atiku challenge is real and we can’t afford to take it for granted because southwest is where the swing votes reside.
“As we speak, the signals on the field are not cheering in almost all the six states of the southwest and that is why it is necessary for the party and the presidency to summon everyone and give a marching order on how to prosecute the elections.

https://uncova.com/2019-southeast-leaders-worried-over-atikus-alleged-refusal-to-accept-single-term-request
Re: 2019: Southeast Leaders Worried Over Atiku’s Refusal To Single Term by murphyibiam15(m): 12:37pm On Oct 28, 2018
cc lalasticlala mynd44...some of us were busy abusing the SE leaders without knowing there are things they know which the general masses don't know...for one I knew they can't shortchange the region they lead.

in Igbo presidency 2023 we stand

1 Like

Re: 2019: Southeast Leaders Worried Over Atiku’s Refusal To Single Term by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 28, 2018
I. G. B. O these are the words that will make ATIKU Looter to loose.

1 Like

Re: 2019: Southeast Leaders Worried Over Atiku’s Refusal To Single Term by murphyibiam15(m): 12:40pm On Oct 28, 2018
Drchristian:
I. G. B. O these are the words that will make ATIKU Looter to loose.
you're a doctor I guess and a Christian doctor for that matter...weren't you thought about love for your neighbors esp today that is Sunday?
Re: 2019: Southeast Leaders Worried Over Atiku’s Refusal To Single Term by Nobody: 12:42pm On Oct 28, 2018
murphyibiam15:
cc lalasticlala mynd44...some of us were busy abusing the SE leaders without knowing there are things they know which the general masses don't know...for one I knew they can't shortchange the region they lead.

in Igbo presidency 2023 we stand
Igbo president in Nigeria? I think is ATIKU you people wanted to be una master? While OBI will be his igbo slave.
Re: 2019: Southeast Leaders Worried Over Atiku’s Refusal To Single Term by Nobody: 12:44pm On Oct 28, 2018
murphyibiam15:

you're a doctor I guess and a Christian doctor for that matter...weren't you thought about love for your neighbors esp today that is Sunday?

Igbo sud have contested in 2019 but they have zoned their fate to the Fulanis

1 Like

Re: 2019: Southeast Leaders Worried Over Atiku’s Refusal To Single Term by solutionmi: 12:46pm On Oct 28, 2018
- The Igbo leaders reportedly want a southeasterner to succeed Atiku in 2023
- The southeast leaders had earlier accused Atiku of not consulting with them before choosing his running mate.

l don't think the igbo are ready for president come 2023�

1 Like

Re: 2019: Southeast Leaders Worried Over Atiku’s Refusal To Single Term by murphyibiam15(m): 12:47pm On Oct 28, 2018
Drchristian:

Igbo sud have contested in 2019 but they have zoned their fate to the Fulanis
that wasn't the initial agreement in PDP...Jonathan was supposed to step down for northerners in 2015 but he went ahead to contest, its rightly the turn of the north for 2019 and 2023 is for the igbos....that's the undiluted fact

1 Like

Re: 2019: Southeast Leaders Worried Over Atiku’s Refusal To Single Term by murphyibiam15(m): 12:51pm On Oct 28, 2018
Drchristian:

Igbo president in Nigeria? I think is ATIKU you people wanted to be una master? While OBI will be his igbo slave.
I thought u wanted an intelligent discus, well not all doctors are medical doctors..some are witch doctors and others native doctors , you're definitely too shallow to be a professional medical doctor

(1) (Reply)

WAEC Exposes The Level Of Intelligence Quotients Of Omokri And PDP Followers / NLC Strike: No Need For Panic Buying Of PMS – NNPC / 8 Things Buhari Said While Receiving The New Minimum Wage Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.