Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water (27999 Views)

PDP State Chairmen Divided Over Demand For Ayu’s Sack, Single Term For Atiku / Atiku, S/east Rift Deepens Over Single Term Request / Soludo: Nigeria Needs 5 Vice Presidents & A Six-year Single Term For Presidents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by jarawa: 10:18pm On Dec 17, 2019
A former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, has said members of the House of Representatives have thrown away a baby together with the bath water. Atiku, a former presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) said in a statement by his Special Advise on Media, Paul Ibe, that he was displeased with the speed with which the six-year single term proposal for president and governors was rejected by the House of Representatives.

“I am disappointed by the fact that the lawmakers have thrown away the baby with the bath water at the expense of the larger interest of the country,” he said. “In view of the challenges facing our current democratic order, especially the culture of rigging that subverts the will of the people, six-year single term would have ended such untoward practices in our electoral process ” Atiku added.

The former vice president said “the desperation for second term by the incumbents is the main reason why they go for broke and set the rule book on fire, thereby making free and fair elections impossible by legitimizing rigging at the expense of their challengers that have no access to public funds. “A situation where the incumbents deploy more public resources to their second term projects than using the funds for people’s welfare encourages massive rigging that undermines electoral integrity. “Six-year single term would remove such desperation and enable the incumbents concentrate on the job for which they were elected in the first place.

“Eight-year term of office rewards incompetence because even incumbents that have failed would use their access to public funds to return to power by fair or foul means. “I don’t agree with the logic that eight years would give elected leaders better opportunity to fulfill their campaign promises. An inherently incompetent incumbent will perform below average even if you give him/her 20 years in office or give him or her $20 billion dollars.”

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/six-year-single-term-lawmakers-threw-away-baby-with-bath-water-atiku.html

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Nobody: 10:24pm On Dec 17, 2019
They should use six years without second term chance, It will save us the billions spent to conduct elections and it will be easy for the officials to investigate corrupt office holders.

103 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by kenzo25(m): 10:37pm On Dec 17, 2019
How I wish Atiku is in government now, he will also reject the bill because he too wanted 8yrs. 4+4

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by reccy(m): 11:30pm On Dec 17, 2019
You spoke intelligently for the first time in your life..... I support single term of 6 years too that's after our darling president has finished his second tenure....

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by leofab(f): 11:51pm On Dec 17, 2019
Na wah
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Nobody: 12:46am On Dec 18, 2019
Even Atiku would have thrown the bucket away with the water if he was the president.

As far as senate and House of Reps are concerned, any bill proposal that is not of benefit to them is not welcomed.

but 6 years is too much na, they should even reduce this 4 years.

I can't wait for GMB to leave self. #saibaba

22 Likes

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Rochas2023: 6:33am On Dec 18, 2019
6 yrs is better, reduces election cost, reduces rigging, gets elected people focused

21 Likes

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by CsRockefeller(m): 7:07am On Dec 18, 2019
Wasn't this also proposed by Jonathan that everyone shouted him down?

Our hatred of a certain tribe won't allow us see d truth.

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by seunmsg(m): 7:25am On Dec 18, 2019
CsRockefeller:

And was it not also thrown out now that a northerner is is the president? Should Buhari’s tribe also start crying of hatred?

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by jamace(m): 7:39am On Dec 18, 2019
kenzo25:
How I wish Atiku is in government now, he will also reject the bill because he too wanted 8yrs. 4+4
Wrong. It is not for those already in power. It is a proposal for incoming political office holders.

5 Likes

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Stalwert: 7:44am On Dec 18, 2019
Atiku ohhh,

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by StaffofOrayan(m): 8:36am On Dec 18, 2019
My friend keep quiet
Too early to be a victim

CsRockefeller:

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by CsRockefeller(m): 8:49am On Dec 18, 2019
seunmsg:

And was it not also thrown out now that a northerner is is the president? Should Buhari’s tribe also start crying of hatred?

The truth is like Jonathan, this reform is needed, but, with some stringent clauses like removal of immunity clause.

4 Likes

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by orisa37: 9:28am On Dec 18, 2019
These are no Lawmakers but APC Hatchet men.

3 Likes

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by nauto: 9:56am On Dec 18, 2019
ok
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by YungMike(m): 9:56am On Dec 18, 2019
Even if it's 20yrs.

A stupid corrupt government will still be a more stupid corrupt government.

The current problem of Nigerian political system is not on the number of tenure. The problem is we keep recycling power. Same set of individuals every 4yrs.

That Aside, if you're planning to leave the country, or you're outside the country already and you want to be calling your family and friends in Nigeria for as low as 10kb/s with no roaming charges.
Check my signature for contact.

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Yankiss(m): 9:56am On Dec 18, 2019
Jonathan's proposition was thrown to the dogs because it came at a time he was newly elected with enormous challenges ahead of him and a masses that's burdened by insufferable economic woes. It sounded self-seeking and there was the argument that even if tenable it would not be effective in his tenure. 6 years single term is otherwise a wise choice. The NASS should look at this not hate speech bill et al.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by money121(m): 9:57am On Dec 18, 2019
Ok
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Exc2000: 9:57am On Dec 18, 2019
cool

6 years single term came in 2013, it was thrown out, it came in 2016 it was trashed, now 2019

why are Lawmakers wasting our legislative time on our taxpayers money cant they make laws on pressing issues or get serious with their oversight functions

5 Likes

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by LegendHero(m): 9:58am On Dec 18, 2019
festacman:
I stand with ex-VP Atiku Abubakar on this issue. If anything, he should use his network, goodwill and clout to spearhead the re-introduction and passing of this single 6-year Executive tenure amendment bill. Enough of utilizing first two years out of four for governance and last two years for politicking that focuses on reelection bid or imposition of successor. It is shortchanging us as a people.

It is worrisome that the members of House of Representatives (HOR) showed shortsightedness and infantile panic in rejecting this innovation without elaborate and exhaustive debate involving even extra-legislative stakeholders. Throwing out the bill because members are scared that some people would accuse them of promoting 3rd term for President Buhari sounds DUMB to say the least. By the way, having a 2nd term president presents best opportunity for such amendment as the constitutional amendment would be crafted to inherently disqualify any 2nd term president or governor from benefiting

We don't have to wait for Americans to do something before we adopt. Let's do what works for us. Even the the issue of ROTATIONAL PRESIDENCY should be examined properly and be adopted if it would stabilize our polity and engender national development. What about having for instance a 12-year National Development Plan that will be passed into law to keep the Executive focused. Lawmakers should think innovatively beyond constituency projects and allowances.

Tbh honest bro, I have a different school of thought from what you opined and I will say having a 6-year one term tenure for elected officials will be devastating to Nigeria and we would be more worse than present.

Firstly, the politicians already made it a full-time job to install their successor and they make sure they spend all the state resources for election. Even if a governor won’t be seeking second term, he will still spend a bogus amount to install his successor. Hence we will still have the same problem in terms of spending we are trying to mitigate.

Secondly, the politicians won’t work since they know they don’t need to seek the vote for any second term. They won’t be accountable to anybody and they will loot without honor coz they are sure they will install a successor who won’t bother to probe them. At least the current system will make them do some functional work in their first term hoping for re-election, having a single term system will make them more ineffective than they currently are.

@the bolded, you are right about that. I support that move to pass a 12-year developmental plan that elected officials will follow so that there won’t be a need for several abandoned project and contract duplication.

Nigeria is almost a failed country and it’s not only a systemic change that will salvage the situation. The inhabitants themselves are fantastically corrupt and no matter what policy or structural changes you try to implement, there is 75% chance of failure.

I travelled to Nigeria this December after a long time away from the country and what I saw starting from the airport to present made me conclude that we don’t only have a leadership problem, we also have the follower-ship problem. No matter who lead this country, it’s already designed to fail unless redemption comes in a different way.

Most of the inflation ravaging the country is not majorly caused by the factor of demand and supply or market price increase, people themselves inflate the price of goods for fast monetary gain and they all turn to blame the government. For e.g. taking an ordinary 10min cab from a location cost #600 the first day and the next day I had to take the same distance #4000. I can afford that but what about the common man? This problem of greed is applicable to almost all sectors of the Nigerian economy.

For example, some parents take their children to private centers for exam malpractices, even some private & public schools are not left out such that they have instilled the culture of corruption into their wards right from teen age.

At government owned institutions and even private sector, almost everyone is corrupt such that they will always want a tip no matter what. Everybody is out there to extort you and they are not contented no matter what you do for them.

The politicians already understood the mindset of Nigerians, and the more we keep having this mentality the more suffering we will get from these politicians coz we are all thesame. The people abusing a corrupt politician today are angry coz they are not the one stealing.

41 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by xynerise: 9:58am On Dec 18, 2019
They won't accept it. Greedy old men
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Conceptman: 10:00am On Dec 18, 2019
Ok
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by MrImole: 10:00am On Dec 18, 2019
Pros and Cons

I'll rather not say anything..
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Humphrizy(m): 10:01am On Dec 18, 2019
Hmm.....this country matter just tire person.... E big pass zuma rock

Kindly call or whatsapp 0"8"0'92'1'519'5'9 if you need Natural pure Original Honey... Thank you

No matter what... We will surely survive in dx country

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Prettyjanet1: 10:02am On Dec 18, 2019
I think I support this. Endorsing this will reduce bloodsheds in reelection bidding.
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by klax(m): 10:02am On Dec 18, 2019
CsRockefeller:

No tribal sentiment on this bro it was rejected during Gej and was rejected in Buhari term too so no tribal stunt at all it's all politics of the thief for the thieves.

7 Likes

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by tiwiex(m): 10:02am On Dec 18, 2019
reccy:
You spoke intelligently for the first time in your life..... I support single term of 6 years too that's after our darling president has finished his second tenure....
There would be no incentive to perform since there is no second term anyway. The idea ignores human behavior. It has its merits and demerits too.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boko Haram: President Buhari We Are Tired Of 'I Will!' - Kayode Ogundamisi / South East Governors Meet In Enugu, To Meet Buhari For Release Of Nnamdi Kanu / Amaechi - My Suspension Is Political Witch-hunt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.