Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,834 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:42 PM

Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? (17820 Views)

Does Google Adsense Accept Blog In The Cryptocurrency Niche / How Much Does Google Charge Per Click In Naira / Does Google Adsense Still Approve Blog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by BedLam: 9:13am On Nov 01, 2018
nditah:
Hello Nairalanders,
I am compelled to share my experience with Google and also find out if anyone has had a similar experience.

Friday, Sept 21st, Google invited me to participate in a remote User Research, with a promised of a $125 Perks gift.

On Oct. 5th I was ebullient to take part in assisting #Google in providing valuation information to improve the usability of its cloud technology. The meeting lasted for 60-minutes. I love #GCP.

Surprisingly, on Oct. 10th I got a gift code of $50 (instead of $125 as promised). I was curious so I sent an email to the Team.

The Team replied me, "How Google does it is they convert the perks amount to a 'localized' amount based on the buying power of that amount in particular countries."

Being more curious, I sent another email asking the Team: Since Google doesn't consider local purchasing power, and poor countries pay the same amount as wealthy countries for their products like GCP Exams, Cloud Services, etc, why would it be different when receiving benefits.

I didn’t get an answer again from the Google Research team. So I throw the question to you: Is it fair to give people less than you should simply because of where they come from?

Thank you in anticipation for your responses!

source: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nditah/detail/recent-activity/shares/
Please take this story to Quora and medium! Believe me, Google is already in hot soup. Don't let this die.

11 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Fash20: 9:15am On Nov 01, 2018
life is not fair... because we are Africans they treat us like crap nobody cares... you work hard they pay you less because you are from a poor country...is it that we do not know what to use money for?

5 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by BedLam: 9:15am On Nov 01, 2018
By the way, the link to your story is dead.
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Omonoba1: 9:17am On Nov 01, 2018
Newboss:
Contact CNN, bro angry

A big story is loading angry

Seun

Lalasticlala

Mynd44
good idea..
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Nobody: 9:20am On Nov 01, 2018
nditah:

OK. Let me check out their website if I can find a way to reach them. Thank you
better, the world must hear this. #GoogleFraud

3 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by talk2hb1(m): 9:26am On Nov 01, 2018
Racism and marginalisation
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Duru1(m): 9:28am On Nov 01, 2018
nditah:

I strongly believe it is fair to pay people according to their contribution. Can they imagine the hurdles you scaled through to get the skillset?

You should have refused the invitation at the initial stage. The term discrimination is an overstated word. No human being can be termed as a discriminant or discriminator therefore the right to preference has been misconstrued.

1 Like

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Mavor: 9:32am On Nov 01, 2018
nditah:
Hello Nairalanders,
I am compelled to share my experience with Google and also find out if anyone has had a similar experience.

Friday, Sept 21st, Google invited me to participate in a remote User Research, with a promised of a $125 Perks gift.

On Oct. 5th I was ebullient to take part in assisting #Google in providing valuation information to improve the usability of its cloud technology. The meeting lasted for 60-minutes. I love #GCP.

Surprisingly, on Oct. 10th I got a gift code of $50 (instead of $125 as promised). I was curious so I sent an email to the Team.

The Team replied me, "How Google does it is they convert the perks amount to a 'localized' amount based on the buying power of that amount in particular countries."

Being more curious, I sent another email asking the Team: Since Google doesn't consider local purchasing power, and poor countries pay the same amount as wealthy countries for their products like GCP Exams, Cloud Services, etc, why would it be different when receiving benefits.

I didn’t get an answer again from the Google Research team. So I throw the question to you: Is it fair to give people less than you should simply because of where they come from?

I advise you tweet this at the following - @cnn @sundarpichai @gma @googleresearch @bbcnews @un @eu_commission @_africanunion

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by 4gunners(m): 9:32am On Nov 01, 2018
It's quite pathetic. Google on the news for the wrong reason again. It will not be wrong if google is a said to be morally bankrupt.

4 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Duru1(m): 9:33am On Nov 01, 2018
talk2hb1:
Racism and marginalisation

The word, racism, is a misnomer. It does not exist. There are no two or more human races on earth therefore it is foolish to talk about racism. The earth has only one race and it is human. The idea of qualifying human being as "Black or White" is a display of stark idiocy. Color cannot be human being but an object. It is unfortunate that Africans, as usual, have fallen into this idiotic shenanigan of describing humans with hue.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by DeepSight(m): 9:38am On Nov 01, 2018
BedLam:
Banks.

Elucidate please.
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Nobody: 9:40am On Nov 01, 2018
see below
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by SarkinYarki: 9:46am On Nov 01, 2018
nditah:
Hello Nairalanders,

God has done it for you ..this is your chance for out of cost settlement , get a lawyer ASAP and charge them to the international industrial court for wage discrimination as a result of racism ..this is huge..let them know you are traumatized

11 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by BedLam: 9:48am On Nov 01, 2018
DeepSight:

Elucidate please.
from my observation, banks have to work with Google or apple for some sort of authorization. For instance, if you want to connect your card with Gpay, they tell you they will contact your bank...this is done automatically.
There are some banks that aren't even working with some payment forms in the US. Google has a long list of banks that are working and you might be able to find out.
Up till now we still don't have contactless cards, that should give you an idea of how backward our banking space is.

2 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Astonmartins: 9:49am On Nov 01, 2018
The thing here is; Google is also business entity just like every other profit making organization, the reward is based on the purchasing power of your region. They are like Electricity Distribution Companies in Nigeria, DISCOs' supply more light to an area where they make more money.
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by badman007(m): 9:51am On Nov 01, 2018
Are they mad?
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by DeepSight(m): 9:53am On Nov 01, 2018
BedLam:
from my observation, banks have to work with Google or apple for some sort of authorization. For instance, if you want to connect your card with Gpay, they tell you they will contact your bank...this is done automatically.
There are some banks that aren't even working with some payment forms in the US. Google has a long list of banks that are working and you might be able to find out.
Up till now we still don't have contactless cards, that should give you an idea of how backward our banking space is.

Many thanks.
So basically you think this is a banks authorization issue?

That's worrisome if true because so many much smaller and seemingly more backward countries are enabled on GPay.
Also, I was told Nigerian cards were previously on G Pay. Is that the case? If it is the case what could have changed?
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by DeepSight(m): 9:54am On Nov 01, 2018
Duru1:

The word, racism, is a misnomer. It does not exist. There are no two or more human races on earth therefore it is foolish to talk about racism. The earth has only one race and it is human. The idea of qualifying human being as "Black or White" is a display of stark idiocy. Color cannot be human being but an object. It is unfortunate that Africans, as usual, have fallen into this idiotic shenanigan of describing humans with hue.

Hey I dont think we started it.
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Duru1(m): 9:59am On Nov 01, 2018
DeepSight:

African did not start it but embraced it. It was meant to be a weapon and fortunately the dumbass Africans have been suckered into it. Those who started it knew Africans are foolish load of sentimental drunks who would never realize where and when they got boozed up.
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 01, 2018
DeepSight:

Mumu na him you be.
Who created race?
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by mimimile93: 10:03am On Nov 01, 2018
nditah:
Hello Nairalanders,

See what PDP has done to Nigeria. PDP crumbled Nigeria. Making everyone to look down on Nigeria.

God bless President Muhammadu Buhari.
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by BedLam: 10:04am On Nov 01, 2018
DeepSight:

Many thanks.
So basically you think this is a banks authorization issue?

That's worrisome if true because so many much smaller and seemingly more backward countries are enabled on GPay.
Also, I was told Nigerian cards were previously on G Pay. Is that the case? If it is the case what could have changed?
There might be some regulation I think, I am not aware of but the space is so 1960s. Do you know that our POS still use edge? I mean 2g!
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by enricky28: 10:05am On Nov 01, 2018
You can take them to court, if the amount was advertised, buy them the you would get paid or they would spend, the money, they don't want to give you.

2 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by BedLam: 10:06am On Nov 01, 2018
nditah:
Hello Nairalanders,

OP, I am sure you are the victim here ? If yes, can you send me an email and get the photos of your replies and email you sent to google? I will publish this on Medium, this should be a collective fight!

3 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by valentineuwakwe(m): 10:06am On Nov 01, 2018
DNT mind those people....they will ban your adsense account not minding giving nigeria a very poor cpc
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Whobedatte(m): 10:08am On Nov 01, 2018
Let's start here first !
Sure foreign companies must have observed how we treat ourselves and followed the trend
I've worked with top printing firms as a salary earner and I must tell you the discrimination and injustice being displayed in full glare
Two people ( machinist)would be manning a press
One works 7am -7pm
Other 7pm -7am
One is being placed on a salary on N70 k
Other is being placed on a N240 k salary , 2 bedroom flat at omole, a car and a driver + wardrobe allowance
This isn't Google but a Nigerian company owned by pastor Chris at oregun Ikeja
So before you start tackling google ,
Tackle yourselves first .
The annoying thing is that , the Nigerian guy who earns the N70 k salary trained the white guy from India.
Until we start seeing ourselves as human first , none will take us serious

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by kenchop: 10:09am On Nov 01, 2018
nditah:
Hello Nairalanders,

Racisim is on the increase globally.

for your low-voltage electrical equipment such as ABB, SCHNEIDER Electric, LEGRAND Electrical equipments in Nigeria, view my signature. Tnx
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Amhappy(f): 10:11am On Nov 01, 2018
I think this has all shades of wrong. People should be paid according to what they offer not the status of their country. However,even in our own country,we cheat ourselves. People are hired from even poorer countries and are called expatriates,given the best treatment and all that as compared to their Nigeria mates who offer the same service even with the same qualification.

2 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by DeepSight(m): 10:14am On Nov 01, 2018
Freedem:

Mumu na him you be.
Who created race?

Slow down on the yabbis.

I still dont get you.
How did we create race (or is that perhaps different from what you are saying?)
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by giftedben: 10:15am On Nov 01, 2018
Don't blame Google, blame your leaders and yourselves. Google have done enough for Africa than you can ever imagine.
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by chosenwan1(m): 10:24am On Nov 01, 2018
This type of response happens all the time. Africans simply don't learn, if you can't build your own search engine and ban Google. They would never respect you. One silly human is saying it would be a great story for "CNN"??! Una never see anything, you keep using their platforms and you want them to be fair to you. Build yours and set your own rules, as long as you are in someones house you would abide by their rules. As black people, some of you don't still understand that you have no friends in this world. No race will support you, funny you don't even support yourselves. Death awaits thee

9 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 01, 2018
Whobedatte:
Let's start here first !
Sure foreign companies must have observed how we treat ourselves and followed the trend
I've worked with top printing firms as a salary earner and I must tell you the discrimination and injustice being displayed in full glare
Two people ( machinist)would be manning a press
One works 7am -7pm
Other 7pm -7am
One is being placed on a salary on N70 k
Other is being placed on a N240 k salary , 2 bedroom flat at omole, a car and a driver + wardrobe allowance
This isn't Google but a Nigerian company owned by pastor Chris at oregun Ikeja
So before you start tackling google ,
Tackle yourselves first .
The annoying thing is that , the Nigerian guy who earns the N70 k salary trained the white guy from India.
Until we start seeing ourselves as human first , none will take us serious

For real?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Best Web Hosting Company In Nigeria / My Website Is Under Attack!! / Tutorial-building Dynamic Websites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.