Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,279 members, 7,811,831 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? (17818 Views)

Does Google Adsense Accept Blog In The Cryptocurrency Niche / How Much Does Google Charge Per Click In Naira / Does Google Adsense Still Approve Blog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by BrAkingNews: 10:31am On Nov 01, 2018
Contact CNN, BBC The Verge and TechCrunch, this is a big story. Google will regret believe me.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by trekkie: 10:40am On Nov 01, 2018
Remove copies of all the mails between you guys from your hard drive get a flash and put it there before your copies disappear along with your case. If you know, you know.

4 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by hahn(m): 10:44am On Nov 01, 2018
nditah:
Hello Nairalanders,
I am compelled to share my experience with Google and also find out if anyone has had a similar experience.

Friday, Sept 21st, Google invited me to participate in a remote User Research, with a promised of a $125 Perks gift.

On Oct. 5th I was ebullient to take part in assisting #Google in providing valuation information to improve the usability of its cloud technology. The meeting lasted for 60-minutes. I love #GCP.

Surprisingly, on Oct. 10th I got a gift code of $50 (instead of $125 as promised). I was curious so I sent an email to the Team.

The Team replied me, "How Google does it is they convert the perks amount to a 'localized' amount based on the buying power of that amount in particular countries."

Being more curious, I sent another email asking the Team: Since Google doesn't consider local purchasing power, and poor countries pay the same amount as wealthy countries for their products like GCP Exams, Cloud Services, etc, why would it be different when receiving benefits.

I didn’t get an answer again from the Google Research team. So I throw the question to you: Is it fair to give people less than you should simply because of where they come from?

Thank you in anticipation for your responses!

source: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nditah/detail/recent-activity/shares/

Google is quite stupid for that statement. Wetin $50 wan buy for here? undecided

1 Like

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Omololu001: 11:06am On Nov 01, 2018
Whobedatte:
Let's start here first !
Sure foreign companies must have observed how we treat ourselves and followed the trend
I've worked with top printing firms as a salary earner and I must tell you the discrimination and injustice being displayed in full glare
Two people ( machinist)would be manning a press
One works 7am -7pm
Other 7pm -7am
One is being placed on a salary on N70 k
Other is being placed on a N240 k salary , 2 bedroom flat at omole, a car and a driver + wardrobe allowance
This isn't Google but a Nigerian company owned by pastor Chris at oregun Ikeja
So before you start tackling google ,
Tackle yourselves first .
The annoying thing is that , the Nigerian guy who earns the N70 k salary trained the white guy from India.
Until we start seeing ourselves as human first , none will take us serious
create a thread on this
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by talk2hb1(m): 11:07am On Nov 01, 2018
Duru1:

The word, racism, is a misnomer. It does not exist. There are no two or more human races on earth therefore it is foolish to talk about racism. The earth has only one race and it is human. The idea of qualifying human being as "Black or White" is a display of stark idiocy. Color cannot be human being but an object. It is unfortunate that Africans, as usual, have fallen into this idiotic shenanigan of describing humans with hue.
Noted Sir
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by TheBawse(m): 11:09am On Nov 01, 2018
Hit them on twitter and also setup a post like this on reddit , u wld be surprised how quick they would respond .

2 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Hungarriman: 11:13am On Nov 01, 2018
Whobedatte:
Let's start here first !
Sure foreign companies must have observed how we treat ourselves and followed the trend
I've worked with top printing firms as a salary earner and I must tell you the discrimination and injustice being displayed in full glare
Two people ( machinist)would be manning a press
One works 7am -7pm
Other 7pm -7am
One is being placed on a salary on N70 k
Other is being placed on a N240 k salary , 2 bedroom flat at omole, a car and a driver + wardrobe allowance
This isn't Google but a Nigerian company owned by pastor Chris at oregun Ikeja
So before you start tackling google ,
Tackle yourselves first .
The annoying thing is that , the Nigerian guy who earns the N70 k salary trained the white guy from India.
Until we start seeing ourselves as human first , none will take us serious
I witnessed this kind of thing during the renovation work of one of the CBN branches in this country. Nna, d tin weak me no b small. Till today, i am still trying wrap my head around why it is so.
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Nobody: 11:20am On Nov 01, 2018
GeorgeTheCoder:
This is a common way foreign companies seek to exploit low income nations. For instance, if you get a remote job say, as a programmer, they pay you based on your country of residence instead of your contribution. Since we lack functional government the cheating goes on. In any case, Google is an evil company. Avoid them if you can.

funny enough. Google motto is "don't be evil".

1 Like

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by jidesp(m): 11:25am On Nov 01, 2018
@nditah wrote linda ikeja. If she post this. I believe you will av morr voice. Its a breach of contract sef. Just make sure u get ur money

1 Like

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Whobedatte(m): 11:27am On Nov 01, 2018
Hungarriman:
I witnessed this kind of thing during the renovation work of one of the CBN branches in this country. Nna, d tin weak me no b small. Till today, i am still trying wrap my head around why it is so.
My bro , the thing weak me oo
We always cry foul whenever we are at receiving end by foreigners whereas we caused it . Go to factories in Lagos , do a side by side comparison with Nigerian workers and foreigners with same job description and you l be amazed at the renumeration disparity .
Our own brothers here are the ones that even sell us out to these people
I remembered when there was an exodus of staff from the best printing house in Africa at ilupeju few years ago to Global plus press at oregun (pastor Chris press)
Our former HOD of engineering then at ilupeju was already there as a founding board member
He specifically told the management say make dem no pay us beta money , that the money they want to pay us is too much !!!
How much are they being paid from where they came from ? If you pay them big money , it will get into their heads and they start misbehaving . imagine !!!
Forgetting he also came from the same place we left and he was paid heavily with car and driver
So all these whites are seeing all these and they ff the trend since we don't value ourselves , why would they value us ? The foundation he set there layer backfired on him as he was later relegated for someone with lil experience from India who is now his superior and he layer regretted all his actions

2 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by OyinO: 11:41am On Nov 01, 2018
YES OF COURSE

1 Like

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by adewasco2k(m): 11:55am On Nov 01, 2018
Just like a comment i read above. I really dont see anything wrong in what they did.

its simple:

you sell your product to two cities (CITY A and CITY B) and as a company you sell 80% of your product in CITY A and 20% in CITY B, if you are to carry out a survey in both cities and you indulge the help of programmers in the two cities, you will probably pay programmers in CITY A than CITY B because thats a priority city to you. Its like giving back to the community base on what you earned from them. Pure business.
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Hungarriman: 11:57am On Nov 01, 2018
Whobedatte:

We always cry foul whenever we are at receiving end by foreigners whereas we caused it . Go to factories in Lagos , do a side by side comparison with Nigerian workers and foreigners with same job description and you l be amazed at the renumeration disparity .
I remembered when there was an exodus of staff from the best printing house in Africa at ilupeju few years ago to Global plus press at oregun (pastor Chris press)
Our former HOD of engineering then at ilupeju was already there as a founding board member
He specifically told the management say make dem no pay us beta money , that the money they want to pay us is too much !!!
How much are they being paid from where they came from ? If you pay them big money , it will get into their heads and they start misbehaving . imagine !!!
Forgetting he also came from the same place we left and he was paid heavily with car and driver
So all these whites are seeing all these and they ff the trend since we don't value ourselves , why would they value us ? The foundation he set there layer backfired on him as he was later relegated for someone with lil experience from India who is now his superior and he layer regretted all his actions
Hahaha, the end of this your story sweet me pass sugar mixed with saccharine. That your HOD built the foundation for his wahala and i must commend him for doing an excellent job on that foundation. The funny thing is that most times the Nigerian employees put in better work than the so-called expatriates.

1 Like

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Immaculatesnow(m): 12:05pm On Nov 01, 2018
TalkTalkTwins:

How much do you sell UK Adsense?

I don't sell foreign accounts
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by pacespot(m): 12:31pm On Nov 01, 2018
I'm beginning to suspect google because I'm using Nigerian AdSense on my site. I hope they don't pay me based on my local exchange rate, because AdSense is one of the hardest ways to make money online.

1 Like

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by banio: 12:41pm On Nov 01, 2018
nditah:
Hello Nairalanders,
I am compelled to share my experience with Google and also find out if anyone has had a similar experience.

Friday, Sept 21st, Google invited me to participate in a remote User Research, with a promised of a $125 Perks gift.

On Oct. 5th I was ebullient to take part in assisting #Google in providing valuation information to improve the usability of its cloud technology. The meeting lasted for 60-minutes. I love #GCP.

Surprisingly, on Oct. 10th I got a gift code of $50 (instead of $125 as promised). I was curious so I sent an email to the Team.

The Team replied me, "How Google does it is they convert the perks amount to a 'localized' amount based on the buying power of that amount in particular countries."

Being more curious, I sent another email asking the Team: Since Google doesn't consider local purchasing power, and poor countries pay the same amount as wealthy countries for their products like GCP Exams, Cloud Services, etc, why would it be different when receiving benefits.

I didn’t get an answer again from the Google Research team. So I throw the question to you: Is it fair to give people less than you should simply because of where they come from?

Thank you in anticipation for your responses!

source: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nditah/detail/recent-activity/shares/

All multinational companies short change Nigeria. It is simply because we don't have a responsive and responsible government. So the companies prefer to spend twenty years in court peradventure an individual or group cries of injustice to paying the right wage. In sane countries Goggle and other multinationals will be sanctioned and fined appropriately. But in Nigeria, government agencies that are suppose to protect the law will ask you to manage that there is no job.

We are in a big mess. Just find out from legal luminaries the number of cases multinationals have against them

1 Like

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by passion007: 12:59pm On Nov 01, 2018
OP, before you get carried away by those propelling you to spend further in order to gain $75, it's worthwhile having a read through the T&Cs of the offer in the first instance. If they had explicitly stated a method of determining who gets what, then I'm afraid you have no case. I'm sorry to be the devil's advocate but that's the reality.
Certain Google services are known to vary from country to country. On AdSense, an ad click for a bank may be worth $0.5 in Nigeria and $1 in the UK. That's the reality. If Google has said "earn up to $125 at so and so event", you may be paid $1 depending on whatever considerations and complex mathematics they employ. You can ask to know how this is determined, and read through the T&Cs that came with the invite... I'm reasonably certain there are provisos lurking down in the boring barrage of phrases in there.

3 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by vaspire: 1:44pm On Nov 01, 2018
I pray such thing happen to me. I will just tweet it and tag all the international Software companies I have worked with and those I know with the email as the evidence. I'm sure one company ditching them will carry the news.

1 Like

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Undying99: 2:51pm On Nov 01, 2018
Kingv:
This is quite strange and bad...why not make your products equivalent to the purchasing power of each nation

We can make google to trend for the negative reason grin grin grin

#WayoGoogle

Excellent suggestion grin

1 Like

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by tola9jaa: 3:15pm On Nov 01, 2018
Immaculatesnow:
grin Google is a great company, cool if you know how to use them, that is why I sell verified AdSense account to people

I now have a 90 dollars AdSense for sale oooooo
Country
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by TalkTalkTwins(m): 3:16pm On Nov 01, 2018
Immaculatesnow:

I don't sell foreign accounts

Ok...what of Nigerian?
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by 0ba9ja: 3:17pm On Nov 01, 2018
TalkTalkTwins:

How much do you sell UK Adsense?

Is available here
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by BanevsJoker(m): 3:51pm On Nov 01, 2018
DeepSight:

In addition, Google does not feature Nigeria on Google Pay. Can anyone explain why this is? Could it be related to our propensity for fraud?
Speak for yourself. I am not fraudulent.
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by einsteine(m): 4:38pm On Nov 01, 2018
GeorgeTheCoder:
This is a common way foreign companies seek to exploit low income nations. For instance, if you get a remote job say, as a programmer, they pay you based on your country of residence instead of your contribution. Since we lack functional government the cheating goes on. In any case, Google is an evil company. Avoid them if you can.

Nothing wrong there. Nobody put a gun on anybody's head to take a job. If you truly have a skillset that is unique, your locality would not determine your compensation. If you are just a run-of-the-mill programmer who can be replaced in a jiffy, of course, they will pay you as small as possible.
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by einsteine(m): 4:39pm On Nov 01, 2018
WinningSun:

funny enough. Google motto is "don't be evil".

former motto
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Immaculatesnow(m): 5:13pm On Nov 01, 2018
TalkTalkTwins:

Ok...what of Nigerian?
Yes I have bro
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Immaculatesnow(m): 5:14pm On Nov 01, 2018
tola9jaa:

Country

Nigeria
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by DeepSight(m): 5:22pm On Nov 01, 2018
BanevsJoker:

Speak for yourself. I am not fraudulent.

Please kindly shattap.

1 Like

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by armadeo(m): 5:49pm On Nov 01, 2018
Whobedatte:

A friend of mine once told me of his former office where whites were in charge. He got allowances like mad, healthcare was lit, phone allowance monthly like 20k, premium dstv subscription yearly. They enjoyed this for over 3 years.

Then came the black manager, he cancelled everything and left them on salary. People migrated like Nigerians going abroad and the company had to do a review and put things back in place.

Nigerians are wicked. We don't want others to enjoy even when it's not from our pocket.

2 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by sketcherJ(m): 5:57pm On Nov 01, 2018
bro please continue updating us on the current situation with you and Google
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Nov 01, 2018
einsteine:

former motto
so what is it now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Best Web Hosting Company In Nigeria / My Website Is Under Attack!! / Tutorial-building Dynamic Websites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.