Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,244 members, 7,815,348 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping (4265 Views)

Dasukigate: Probe Panel Summons 241 Firms Over Arms Scandal – FULL LIST HERE / Senate Summons Arase Over Kidnapping, Others / Staunch Buharists, Olateju And Farouk Kperogi Criticise Buhari Over Appointments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by femionasan(m): 3:33pm On Jul 20, 2010
Good but dont forget that the phone has an IMEI number. Which is automatically registered in the database of the service provider also with the new NCC law that compells GSM providers to register all SIM cards it should curtail a lof crime being perpertrated by fraudsters and kidnappers.
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by exago(m): 3:37pm On Jul 20, 2010
Mobile phone tracking tracks the current position of a mobile phone even on the move. To locate the phone, it must emit at least the roaming signal to contact the next nearby antenna tower, but the process does not require an active call. GSM localisation is then done by multilateration based on the signal strength to nearby antenna masts.

Mobile positioning, i.e. location based service that discloses the actual coordinates of a mobile phone bearer, is a technology used by telecommunication companies to approximate where a mobile phone, and thereby also its user (bearer), temporarily resides. The more properly applied term locating refers to the purpose rather than a positioning process. Such service is offered as an option of the class of location-based services (LBS).
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by blacksta(m): 3:50pm On Jul 20, 2010
exago:

Mobile phone tracking tracks the current position of a mobile phone even on the move. To locate the phone, it must emit at least the roaming signal to contact the next nearby antenna tower, but the process does not require an active call. GSM localisation is then done by multilateration based on the signal strength to nearby antenna masts.

Mobile positioning, i.e. location based service that discloses the actual coordinates of a mobile phone bearer, is a technology used by telecommunication companies to approximate where a mobile phone, and thereby also its user (bearer), temporarily resides. The more properly applied term locating refers to the purpose rather than a positioning process. Such service is offered as an option of the class of location-based services (LBS).

And your point is ? we know this already but the question remain is why is it not in operation in Nigeria to help combat the menace.
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by blacksta(m): 3:57pm On Jul 20, 2010
Exponental:

After making the calls between lagos ibadan expressway, heading to ibadan, he drops the call, dispose the sim and make a u turn back to lagos. what will the telecommunication company do here. Mislead!
better still they make calls at different locations far away from where the victims are. Confusion!
Guys, the issue here is that THE STATE OF INSECURITY IN THE COUNTRY IS TOO HIGH.
hen we have proper checks and balancings, then we can think of how to put other things in place, but for all this to happen, we need u and me to be actively responsible for our societies.

A

My friend - The whole idea of tracking is to help the police narrow their search effort - So we know that person is between Ibadan and Lagos - or will have to wait for the person to make another call and i really doubt criminals have the sense, will power, time and money to keep moving long distance away from their victim just to make a call.
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by exago(m): 3:58pm On Jul 20, 2010
My point is that we don't need to go to the moon to have this in place.
With a little push from our regulators/legislators and the like we can make things happen instead of celebrating Mediocrity
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by bkbabe97: 4:04pm On Jul 20, 2010
Bottom-Line: Yall police are a buncha illiterates who dont know the laws of "TRIANGULATION"!!! lOL. mONKEYS! pHOne companies now gotta help u curtail kidnapping! Why dont u blame them for not arresting the culprits while u at it!??!
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by agitator: 4:24pm On Jul 20, 2010
Exponental:

After making the calls between lagos ibadan expressway, heading to ibadan, he drops the call, dispose the sim and make a u turn back to lagos. what will the telecommunication company do here. Mislead!
better still they make calls at different locations far away from where the victims are.  Confusion!
Guys, the issue here is that THE STATE OF INSECURITY IN THE COUNTRY IS TOO HIGH.
hen we have proper checks and balancings, then we can think of how to put other things in place, but for all this to happen, we need u and me to be actively responsible for our societies.

A

If you like change sim card as many as you want, a phone can always be tracked. The GSM companies can listen to your conversation, read your text messages if they want to. But did the police ask them and they are giving excuse? Otherwise I don't see where governors should be criticizing these companies.

If really our government can't get the GSM operators to cooperate, I wonder the type of national security program we have in place.
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by 1forall: 4:31pm On Jul 20, 2010
Saraki's got ambition, but I think could pursue it in a tidier way. Whats the business of telecomms companies with the police' ineptitude?

So Glo now should start working for the police?

What should MTN do about the assassinations that have gone unsolved? And the highway robberies & carjackings?

He should advocate for the FG to equip the police with modern day tools to fight crime.

Na only kidnap?
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by femionasan(m): 4:38pm On Jul 20, 2010
Its either the police know what to do and they are not doing it cos they are heavily involved in kidnapping or they do not know what to do. I am quite surprised that a whole IG and subordinates who are well travelled and should be attending and planning conferences worldwide on crime(another way to chop) are not even aware of this technology. I really doubt they are aware though cos if they were they would have called a press conference lol!!! No be d same police wey go dey trail armed robber/assasin and dem go dey tell public say dem don trail the robbers/assasin to bauchi state, like say armed robber no dey read paper. KMT!!!!
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by CarlosVent(m): 4:39pm On Jul 20, 2010
nigeria gsm firms dey Bleep up real time Bleep up
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by femionasan(m): 4:44pm On Jul 20, 2010
1forall:

Saraki's got ambition, but I think could pursue it in a tidier way. Whats the business of telecomms companies with the police' ineptitude?

So Glo now should start working for the police?

What should MTN do about the assassinations that have gone unsolved? And the highway robberies & carjackings
?

He should advocate for the FG to equip the police with modern day tools to fight crime.

Na only kidnap?

Sir i disagree with you  on the bolded. The police needs all the tools to work and if the tools required are also outside the police force and it requires that the telecomms are required to work with the police as long as  the process needed to involve the telecomms firm is followed there shouldnt be any issues. Telecoms firms work with the police all over the world
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by babseg(m): 4:46pm On Jul 20, 2010
What if they decide to use sim that are not 9ja sims?
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by 1forall: 4:50pm On Jul 20, 2010
femionasan:

Sir i disagree with you  on the bolded. The police needs all the tools to work and if the tools required are also outside the police force and it requires that the telecomms are required to work with the police as long as  the process needed to involve the telecomms firm is followed there shouldnt be any issues. Telecoms firms work with the police all over the world

I agree the telcos should co-operate with the police, what I dont agree with is blaming the GSM guys for the police' inability to solve crime.
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by femionasan(m): 4:53pm On Jul 20, 2010
The Calls are still routed through base stations in Nigeria as long as the international sim is in Nigeria. All the police have to do whenever they become serious that is, is to get the call log of the phone that received the call and take it to the GSM companies for it to be traced. Trust me it can be done even if the number is hidden. I have a friend that has a sim that u cant hide your number from even after dialling #31# so anything is possible.
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by oderemo(m): 4:56pm On Jul 20, 2010
I have a friend that has a sim that u cant hide your number from even after dialling #31# so anything is possible.

does your frd work 4 the c.i.a or mi6?
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by femionasan(m): 4:56pm On Jul 20, 2010
1forall:

I agree the telcos should co-operate with the police, what I dont agree with is blaming the GSM guys for the police' inability to solve crime.

Yes i feel you on that. The police and government are just looking for excuses to rid themselves of the blame. The police are just plain dumb or are just not interested in solving crime.
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by agitator: 4:58pm On Jul 20, 2010
1forall:

did the telcos refuse to cooperate with the police?

babseg:

What if they decide to use sim that are not 9ja sims?

I said it before and will still continue to say it. If you like change sim and handset as many times as your want it can be traced.  we are discussing this issue as if it is rocket science when some even private individuals own these gadgets.
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by agitator: 4:59pm On Jul 20, 2010
femionasan:

Yes i feel you on that. The police and government are just looking for excuses to rid themselves of the blame. The police are just plain dumb or are just not interested in solving crime.

If they arrest those guys who will rig elections for them?
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by femionasan(m): 4:59pm On Jul 20, 2010
ode remo:

does your frd work 4 the c.i.a or mi6?

lol!!! Not at all boss. I was tripped myself when he told me and i tried it myself. I cant remember how he got it though but it was through his friend in one of the GSM companies.
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by femionasan(m): 5:00pm On Jul 20, 2010
agitator:

If they arrest those guys who will rig elections for them?

Exactly!!!
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by isimili: 5:12pm On Jul 20, 2010
Governors my foot!!!!!!Here they go again blaming others but not themselves. they have all failed us and should shut up. As Zebrudaya Okoroigwe nwogbo would say in those days "in my very before" many of them came into power without a kobo in their pockets or switched from 419 to avoid prosecution and what have then done since then, stolen us blind and ran us to the ground. people have even become poorer. They should first repatriate the money they have been stealing from us, develop our states, build factories and industries to create work for anyone who want to work and need to. then they can have the moral high ground to blame anyone for failing. registration of mobile sims is not the answers. If i am determined to cause mayhem with my mobile, i will use every poor hungry person in my village to obtain registration under false name and use it as i like without being caught. i am sure that some of the so called governors whose prodigal and badly confused kids are involved in kidnapping will even protect me if i talk to them properly. Look at the DPO and the chief involved in Kidnapping. They should get serious. The judiciary needs to be overhauled too so that if i do any wrong and need to be prosecuted there will be a time scale for that prosecution and proper monitoring of judges but not unending prosecutions with interference by politicians with interest to protect.
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by maxtop(m): 5:17pm On Jul 20, 2010
i don't think we have a very efficient mobile operator in Nigeria coz they are more concern about what they will deduct from the subscribers account rather than contributing to the development of this great country. wink wink wink
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by binaflexia: 5:25pm On Jul 20, 2010
Blaming the wrong peeps.

This is a complete "Ignorance of Responsibilities".

May God help our ladders leaders.
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by xterra2(m): 8:16pm On Jul 20, 2010
better still they make calls at different locations far away from where the victims are. Confusion!
Yes you made a point here proffesional kidnappers may do so but after they dispose the SIM they would use another one which is why we need SIM Card registration for they would need another SIM.
But on the other hand,as you said on lagos-ibadan they would steal a person's phone professionally a market person for example who is busy attending to MANY customers at once and would check the phone like after 2-3 hours or even after the day and they can use the phone to call police and victims families right in the market while the other gang would be in Another farway state,
So GSM or SIM card registartion is not the solution but it WOULD HELP a lot
But the ultimate solution is good governance and corrupt free country
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by rman: 8:24pm On Jul 20, 2010
The technology to trace calls already exits on every gsm coy network. Every call can be traced in Nigeria or anywhere. The police are just blaming the wrong people. If you want a call or number traced you need a permission from a court or police(not sure which one). Telecoms coy have a responsiblity of not giving out such info unless under special conditions which Kiddaping cases should be one of them.
I have asked myself how criminals use gsm numbers to commit crime without being caught.

Nigerian police is just a useless institution.
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by texazzpete(m): 9:05pm On Jul 20, 2010
Cell triangulation is not nearly as accurate as you folks imagine. You'll never be able to pinpoint the location with a great degree of accuracy.
The SIM cards these fellows use are disposable, so the concept of reading their SMS messages doesn't apply.

SIM card registration will not solve anything. Anyone can purchase 100 SIM cards from Benin Republic without any documentation and all 100 will roam in Nigeria. You'll easily be able to use them all without any issue.
Also, the kidnappers can easily use SIM cards taken from their victims.

The Governors should shut up and instead tell us why they have not put part of the security money they receive into purchasing helicopters. Choppers will go a long way to combat kidnap and armed robbery cases in Nigeria.
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by Nymphnode(m): 9:19pm On Jul 20, 2010
[b]You will be surprised at how people can use this same technology of tracking to a disadvantage. 3 different thots just crossed my mind and I'm not even criminally minde[/b]d
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by budwizer(m): 9:23pm On Jul 20, 2010
My people why are we being ignorant, its definitely not the job of mobile operators to track calls, the law enforcement agencies should be adequately equipped to do this real time ;, thats the way it should be done, and thats how in done in advanced societies.
una no dey watch 24!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by blacksta(m): 9:25pm On Jul 20, 2010
texazzpete:

Cell triangulation is not nearly as accurate as you folks imagine. You'll never be able to pinpoint the location with a great degree of accuracy.
The SIM cards these fellows use are disposable, so the concept of reading their SMS messages doesn't apply.

SIM card registration will not solve anything. Anyone can purchase 100 SIM cards from Benin Republic without any documentation and all 100 will roam in Nigeria. You'll easily be able to use them all without any issue.

The Governors should shut up and instead tell us why they have not put part of the security money they receive into purchasing helicopters. Choppers will go a long way to combat kidnap and armed robbery cases in Nigeria.

The idea behind cellphone tracking is not to accurately predict where one's location is but in the case of kidnapping is to help narrow the search location and help give the police a head start. Every mobile device maintains 100 percent connection with a  local base station and with technology so advance one can almost pinpoint to 100 meters  imagine flooding the 100 meters radius with about 100 policemen i think you will find your victim faster than trying to search a state,
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by AjanleKoko: 9:29pm On Jul 20, 2010
texazzpete:

Thank heavens for someone that actually has a bit of an idea. wink, and has something sensible to contribute.

In most developed nations the government usually has to break the law to tap phones, and access cell phone data.
In most countries, especially the USA, cell phone users are guaranteed privacy of their telephone usage; not even government has de facto right to listen in on phone calls. To tap cell phones, you probably need to get a court order in most countries.

I can tell you a bit about the Nigeria situation. Usually the telcos do co-operate with law enforcement and provide call records including location. Like in the case of the kidnappings, the location of the kidnappers was due to cell phone location data released to the police. You won't find that in any newspaper.

However, the politicians in Nigeria routinely request to tap the phones of their girlfriends and their political enemies. Since we don't work for government, we politely ask them for a court injunction . . . and we never hear from them again. That's probably our man's aggro grin
Re: Governors Criticise Gsm Firms Over Kidnapping by fyneguy: 12:20am On Jul 21, 2010
Sim reg wont curb nada!

The generation of gsm technology deployed in Nigeria does not support trackin the exact location of the caller. The best you can get is the Cell site location from which the call was made.

Having said that, Gsm firms deploy some ingenious means of trackin the caller, using the CDR (call detail report)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

GEJ Challenger Imprisoned for Molestation & Lawyer Takes Asylum In Germany / FG To Release List Of Boko Haram Sponsors - Channelstv / Boko Haram Backs Jonathan For President!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.