Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,762 members, 7,955,905 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:15 PM

Copyright Laws: Making Unpermitted Copies Of Books With The Intention Of Study. - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Copyright Laws: Making Unpermitted Copies Of Books With The Intention Of Study. (867 Views)

Can I Combine Missed Ramadaan Fasts With 6 Days Of Shawwaal With One Intention? / Uttering The Intention To Fast Out Loud / He Said To Her “I Divorce You” With The Intention Of Threatening And Scaring Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Copyright Laws: Making Unpermitted Copies Of Books With The Intention Of Study. by Alkanoicacid(m): 12:05pm On Nov 02, 2018
Copyright laws

Re: Copyright Laws: Making Unpermitted Copies Of Books With The Intention Of Study. by Nobody: 9:51pm On Nov 02, 2018
Nonsense....The man is giving fatwahs on things he does not know about!

You can photocopy as far as you are not selling them.
Re: Copyright Laws: Making Unpermitted Copies Of Books With The Intention Of Study. by Mofpearl: 3:39am On Nov 03, 2018
It all depends on if the author gives permission to copy for personal use or not.

1) Q: Is it haraam to photocopy parts of academic reference works for study purposes, knowing that the high cost of these books is the reason for photocopying? If a person copies them in order to make money, is that haraam?

A: Praise be to Allaah.
It seems to be the case that copyright belongs to the authors and to their heirs after they die, and that there is nothing wrong with photocopying or copying it out by hand for personal use, not with the intention of selling, so long as the owner of the copyright has not expressly stated that copying for personal use is not allowed. But if it is copied for the purpose of selling it and trading in it, this is not allowed. Continue here

This also seems to be the view of The Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta'

2)Copying programs when their copyright owner does not license it.

A: It is not permissible.
Here

Re: Copyright Laws: Making Unpermitted Copies Of Books With The Intention Of Study. by Nobody: 8:12am On Nov 03, 2018
When reading fatwas, understand the context in which the reply is given...

The individual above is using it for monetary gains, in his field of work.

We are talking about a student photocopying a book for personal use without any monetary gain attached!

If there is no explicit statement that prohibits personal use as well then the copyright – according to the scholars and not western manmade laws – does not stop personal use.

Shaykh ibn uthaymeen mentions this, might post it later, too busy to type in Arabic now...
Re: Copyright Laws: Making Unpermitted Copies Of Books With The Intention Of Study. by Mofpearl: 8:23am On Nov 03, 2018

1) Q: Is it haraam to photocopy parts of academic reference works for study purposes, knowing that the high cost of these books is the reason for photocopying? If a person copies them in order to make money, is that haraam?

A: Praise be to Allaah.
It seems to be the case that copyright belongs to the authors and to their heirs after they die, and that there is nothing wrong with photocopying or copying it out by hand for personal use, not with the intention of selling, so long as the owner of the copyright has not expressly stated that copying for personal use is not allowed. But if it is copied for the purpose of selling it and trading in it, this is not allowed. Continue here
[quote]
What about this?

This also seems to be the view of The Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta'

2)Copying programs when their copyright owner does not license it.

A: It is not permissible.
Here

And this too. The question was straightforward, asking if it was permissible to copy prgorams when it breaches copyright laws

So if the copyright says copying things for personal use isn't okay then a person can still go ahead to copy it? Isn't the book and the copyright both the author's property?
I will be waiting for the fatwa.

1 Like

Re: Copyright Laws: Making Unpermitted Copies Of Books With The Intention Of Study. by Nobody: 12:40pm On Nov 03, 2018
Mofpearl:

What about this?

I said previously that:

If there is no explicit statement that prohibits personal use as well then the copyright – according to the scholars and not western manmade laws – does not stop personal use.

When I say "copyright" I'm using it the way the scholars have understood it to be and not what western laws say, and Islamic view on the term copyright covers the right of the owner, such that his intellectual property is not stolen, used for monetary gain without his consent, content edited that may damage the owners image and so on. But as far as the person copying is using it for personal usage and not for monetary gain like the questioner asked, then there is nothing stopping us from that except the owner explicitly tells us that he is not giving us the privilege of copying for personal usage as well, then that's another case....

Even tho western laws say personal use is prohibited with or without the owner stating that explicitly, this is not Islamic view.

Ibn uthaymeen was asked: What is the ruling of copying from tapes that it is written on it "all rights are reserved"

He replied: What is clear to me is, there is nothing wrong with this as far as it is not for monetary aims.

(Paraphrased from the book "at-ta'leeq alal khaafi li ibn qudaama volume 3 page 373)

By the way listen to scholars like shaykh ubayd that advice you with leaving this site you this from, he is not a salafi not a person of sunnah, take care...

And this too. The question was straightforward, asking if it was permissible to copy prgorams when it breaches copyright laws

I have been trying to get the original question as this is not a question obviously, it's more like a general heading with a general answer, like me saying putting a general statements " eating of pork " and I say "not permissible" where as there are exceptions like being forced to eat it.

The exception in this case is, there is no problem if it is for personal usage not monetary gains..

I repeat, we are not using the western terms and understanding of "copyright"

So if the copyright says copying things for personal use isn't okay then a person can still go ahead to copy it? Isn't the book and the copyright both the author's property?
I will be waiting for the fatwa.

If the owner explicitly says "personal usage are not allowed as well" or something of that nature, then it is prohibited as this is his right, although it will be a loss for him since he is limited his knowledge to who can afford to buy his material or take permission from him...
Re: Copyright Laws: Making Unpermitted Copies Of Books With The Intention Of Study. by Mofpearl: 5:05pm On Nov 03, 2018
Thanks for the explanation.

Got one more question
There are different types of (western) copyrights that authors use. For example, some allow students to make photocopies but don't allow instructors to use it to teach. Similarly, some allow people to photocopy as long as it isn't sold while others may just simply state all rights reserved. Knowing that different types of copyrights exist and every author can choose from them (deciding how to use their copyright), can Muslim students who buy books under the western copyright make photocopies of their books (for personal use) knowing fully well that if the author doesn't explicitly state that the books can be photocopied, it usually means that it isn't allowed?
Re: Copyright Laws: Making Unpermitted Copies Of Books With The Intention Of Study. by Nobody: 8:04pm On Nov 03, 2018
If that is what is well known (I don't know it can be like this tho), then it is prohibited since no explicit statement that allows photocopy is tantamount without any doubt to its prohibition according to the well-known custom...
Re: Copyright Laws: Making Unpermitted Copies Of Books With The Intention Of Study. by basugar441(m): 6:26am On Nov 04, 2018
AbdelKabir:
Nonsense....The man is giving fatwahs on things he does not know about!

You can photocopy as far as you are not selling them.

You need not lay abuse on the Sheikh. Why utter the word "nonsense" if you think he has erred or his fatwah is not applicable.

modified
Re: Copyright Laws: Making Unpermitted Copies Of Books With The Intention Of Study. by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 04, 2018
basugar441:

You need not lay abuse on the Sheikh. Why utter the word "Sheikh" if you think he has erred or his fatwah is not applicable.

I have not abused him, I have only said what he said does not make sense!

Excuse me, I don't know where I uttered "shaykh".

This man is not a scholar, there are many things, many things that point to this....he says hr drinks beer and he is proud of it, he says he drinks beer with 2% to 3% of alcohol..... Perhaps he doesn't know the meaning of what he is saying, that was the excuse I gave him when I first saw the video until I saw him affirming this on his site again that you can drink alcohol as far as you don't get intoxicated! What's this?
Re: Copyright Laws: Making Unpermitted Copies Of Books With The Intention Of Study. by Empiree: 12:47am On Nov 05, 2018
AbdelKabir:

I have not abused him, I have only said what he said does not make sense!

Excuse me, I don't know where I uttered "shaykh".

This man is not a scholar, there are many things, many things that point to this....he says hr drinks beer and he is proud of it, he says he drinks beer with 2% to 3% of alcohol..... Perhaps he doesn't know the meaning of what he is saying, that was the excuse I gave him when I first saw the video until I saw him affirming this on his site again that you can drink alcohol as far as you don't get intoxicated! What's this?
really?. Could you share the video if you have it?. That's strange to me coming out of him
Re: Copyright Laws: Making Unpermitted Copies Of Books With The Intention Of Study. by Nobody: 6:00am On Nov 05, 2018
Empiree:
really?. Could you share the video if you have it?. That's strange to me coming out of him

Search for it on YouTube....
Re: Copyright Laws: Making Unpermitted Copies Of Books With The Intention Of Study. by Nobody: 6:38am On Nov 05, 2018
Re: Copyright Laws: Making Unpermitted Copies Of Books With The Intention Of Study. by Empiree: 6:47am On Nov 05, 2018
AbdelKabir:

Search for it on YouTube....
this is not a good answer. I did find one but I can't be sure if that's the one. Where he talks about quantity of alcohol content?.

If that's the one, then, it is different from what you portrayed.
Re: Copyright Laws: Making Unpermitted Copies Of Books With The Intention Of Study. by Nobody: 7:07am On Nov 05, 2018
Empiree:
this is not a good answer. I did find one but I can't be sure if that's the one. Where he talks about quantity of alcohol content?.

If that's the one, then, it is different from what you portrayed.

No that's not it...

I refuse posting the one I saw because it was made by ahmadi which was why I gave him an excuse in the first place because Allaah orders us not to accept the statement of a faasiq

Here is the video anyways for clarity

So this prompted me to check his site again to be sure he actually meant what he said and I saw this

Question: I was shocked to hear when you said it is halal if you drink beer or anything that has less percentage of alcohol and you can drink 2 3 cans. You also mentioned in a separate episode something to do with getting intoxicated so if someone has a very high capacity and does not get intoxicated at all with 1 or 2 glasses or wine is that permissible??

Answer: The ruling is that if the drink when consumed in large quantities intoxicates, in this case one single drop of it is forbidden. But if the drink contains alcohol yet it has no effect on an individual even if he drinks liters of it, this is permissible.

Source

Now to be honest after thinking about it again this morning, I found out I could still give him excuse of him not putting words right, which has caused a misinterpretation. Firstly because of the way the person asked "1 or 2 glass of wine (that intoxicates in large quantity)" and his reply without addressing that part, as if his reply covers everything.

Excuse can still be given that he means "a drink that contains a % that drinking much of it with that same percentage does not intoxicate, then its permissible" and this is the meaning of the hadeeth "what intoxicates in large quantity, a small quantity of it is haram"

If that's the case, then I seek Allaah's forgiveness if I have unknowingly slandered him.
Re: Copyright Laws: Making Unpermitted Copies Of Books With The Intention Of Study. by Empiree: 6:12pm On Nov 05, 2018
AbdelKabir:

No that's not it...

I refuse posting the one I saw because it was made by ahmadi which was why I gave him an excuse in the first place because Allaah orders us not to accept the statement of a faasiq

Here is the video anyways for clarity

So this prompted me to check his site again to be sure he actually meant what he said and I saw this

Question: I was shocked to hear when you said it is halal if you drink beer or anything that has less percentage of alcohol and you can drink 2 3 cans. You also mentioned in a separate episode something to do with getting intoxicated so if someone has a very high capacity and does not get intoxicated at all with 1 or 2 glasses or wine is that permissible??

Answer: The ruling is that if the drink when consumed in large quantities intoxicates, in this case one single drop of it is forbidden. But if the drink contains alcohol yet it has no effect on an individual even if he drinks liters of it, this is permissible.

Source

Now to be honest after thinking about it again this morning, I found out I could still give him excuse of him not putting words right, which has caused a misinterpretation. Firstly because of the way the person asked "1 or 2 glass of wine (that intoxicates in large quantity)" and his reply without addressing that part, as if his reply covers everything.

Excuse can still be given that he means "a drink that contains a % that drinking much of it with that same percentage does not intoxicate, then its permissible" and this is the meaning of the hadeeth "what intoxicates in large quantity, a small quantity of it is haram"

If that's the case, then I seek Allaah's forgiveness if I have unknowingly slandered him.
But he did have to "brag" about it now, "I drink beer and i am proud of it". His statement is too raw and direct. It is not just still image with voice but his actual footage. However, i dont wanna say anything until i watch his actual full footage. Note that he said it is halal from Saudi Arabia containing 2-3%. This is saddening. But do you think there is hanky panky in his footage?. It is difficult to say it was altered.

1% or 3% of alcohol content is still forbidden. That's what i was taught growing up. It is the same with riba. Whether 1% or 3% it is still riba. This is crazy and i can't defend him until i see actual lecture where he said that; I am sorry.

(1) (Reply)

@muhsin / Great Muslims / 10 Reasons To Strive For Generosity Of Spirit And Kindness In Speech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.