Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,353 members, 7,819,254 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women (4792 Views)

A Sample Of Bride Price In UGEP, Yakurr LGA Of Cross River State (Pictures) / Father Of Bride Refuses To Let His Daughter Live With Her Husband / Wife Ties Up Her Husband In Calabar, Attempts To Suffocate Him On Women’s Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by Nobody: 6:10pm On Nov 03, 2018
Seahawk:
No woman exists who doesn’t need provision and protection? Many women don’t need provision because they can provide for themselves

But then Protection from what?

Protection from misogynistic pigs like postmann

4 Likes

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by ShaqFu: 6:12pm On Nov 03, 2018
IamD18:
Dies grin
please don't oh. Before one woman who got rescued from the slums of Owerri, by a man will start saying i'm a 'beast' for killing my fellow man. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by ShaqFu: 6:13pm On Nov 03, 2018
Elder0001:

Protection from misogynistic pigs like postmann
how did that Ogbono soup prepared by your wife taste?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 03, 2018
IamD18:

About profiles; I've said no much about them.

She, Seahawk/Cococandy is someone I know enough back in her days in Owerri to trouble myself over.

And yes, she's wise enough not to use derogatory words on me.

Like I said earlier, stress not yourself trying to prove anything to them. Reality is doing that already.

Bring fort new lines .

These ones are wack.

2 Likes

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by Nobody: 6:14pm On Nov 03, 2018
ShaqFu:
how did that Ogbono soup prepared by your wife taste?

Kid.

1 Like

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by ShaqFu: 6:21pm On Nov 03, 2018
Elder0001:

Kid.
adult. tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by postmann: 7:02pm On Nov 03, 2018
Elder0001:

Protection from misogynistic pigs like pos_tmann

Elder0001, the great feminist crusader who advance the course of women in exchange for half his financial obligation. Sounds like a good deal, doesn't it?

2 Likes

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by postmann: 7:08pm On Nov 03, 2018
Seahawk:
You’re speaking something above their mindset.
Imagine telling a control freak to give up their source of control. That’s like telling an addict to quit cold turkey.

Someone who wants to have financial power over another person so that can they can dictate how their lives should be will NEVER agree with you. You’re pouring water on stone.

So, you're cococandy? Kikikiikiiikiki!

It's been long I whooped your ass!

It's so ironic how you became a notorious feminist when you're a complete specimen of your husband's financial experiment!

grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by ShaqFu: 7:20pm On Nov 03, 2018
postmann:

So, you're cococandy? Kikikiikiiikiki!

It's been long I whooped your ass!

It's so ironic how you became a notorious feminist when you're a complete specimen of your husband's financial experiment!

grin grin grin
that's the truth she'll never accept.

She's the complete definition of house wife offline, and feminist online.

Women like her cower at the beckon of their saviour, sorry husband.

What do you think would have become of her if her husband hadn't rescued her from the ramshackle life she was living in Owerri.

I'm sure peeps like the Lordsapostle would have sampled her number without times. grin

Cc: iamd18.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by postmann: 7:52pm On Nov 03, 2018
ShaqFu:

What do you think would have become of her if her husband hadn't rescued her from the ramshackle life she was living in Owerri.

I'm sure peeps like the Lordsapostle would have sampled her number without times. grin

Kikikikikikikiki!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by IamD18: 7:55pm On Nov 03, 2018
Lit, we go.
Dope, we can't resist going.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by IamD18: 8:15pm On Nov 03, 2018
ShaqFu:

grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by Anas09: 9:22pm On Nov 03, 2018
postmann:

Is this the reason you seek marriage -- to rest your financially weary and battered shoulders on her? I see her overtaken by premature wrinkles and fatigue by the sheer size of your masculine biceps.

I see her placing you and your children as secondary to her career while your housemaid is elevated to a mom status in the eyes of your innocent children who are exposed to all manners of indecency because daddy was a brainwashed leech who sent mom out on the street to make him some doe.

I see your wife staring lustfully at her boss wishing he was you. "Oh, such glaring contrast in personalities", she mutters under her breath as she considers his towering stature over your minuscule and wretched mindset. She dresses for work every morning with him on her mind, not for the toy husband she left at home.

She's blessed whoever she be. She (will) rests her delicate head on my manly shoulders while I weather the storm for her. The sun ray is but a stranger to her countenance as she's spared from the neo-cultural slavery her female counterparts are being exposed to by men like you who have been beaten down by laziness.

She works for pleasure and not for pressure. She sings her children to sleep free from fatigue and she rises up in the morning kissing my lips with the calm assurance of a gallant woman who got my home covered when I go out to bring in the spoils.
Oh!!!!!!!. What a blessed woman she'd be.

1 Like

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by 2buffagain(m): 9:38pm On Nov 03, 2018
postmann:

It is not a sin when one's wife "happens' to be richer. It is the acceptance thereof that is.

An abnormality doesn't happen per chance. Human negligence usually creates it. In this context (the imbalance of financial distribution between a man and his wife in favour of the woman) the man Usually causes it by ignoring certain factors during courtship. Like signs that she has bigger ambition (for money). As a naive fellow, you may ask what's wrong with that.

Women by nature are attracted to and look forward to marrying men who are richer and a sure bet in providing comfort and security. Except for few occasions, they marry "less" when age or other unfavorable factors become a conditioner.
Statistics comes to my aid, proving me right that such union is twice as unlikely to succeed.

Being a man, nay a husband is far much more than putting food on the table and providing security for the family. They're plenty of natural (and if you may, spiritual) benefits that comes with it.

There are emotional and intellectual differences between both sexes and irrespective of some doctored research, men triumph in virtually all discipline. Look at the world around you -- it is MAN MADE!!! Except you're struck with cerebral palsy there's no excuse why you shouldn't lead your wife in finance, wisdom and intelligence.

After all, she gave you several headstart with all the natural impediments that holds the female folk down.

So in summary, the "wisdom" you are passing on is:
- Do not marry any woman that seems like she has a brain. Always opt for the stupid one to be on the safe side.
- If she has a job and eventually starts earning more from it than you make, get her fired or get her to quit. We can't have that!
- If she has a business that suffers the abnormality of being successful, more than yours, scatter it. How dare she?

I never knew that men are now supposed to be doing the work of Satan in their wives' lives.

To each their own man.
The more I endure this conversation, the more I thank God I wasn't raised to be as evil as the seemingly average Nigerian man.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by bukatyne(f): 10:12pm On Nov 03, 2018
[quote author=postmann post=72656378]

I like the fact that you have defined yourself:

Please don't marry an ambitious woman... Too many women are bitter for you to add to their numbers.

Because anyone who is diligent in what they do with God's favour will make it...

We have Omotola, Prof. Dora Akunyili, Okonjo-Iweala, Oby Ezekwezili, Mrs. Awosika, Toyin Onibanjo of August Secrets etc.

I deliberately picked women who grew from their hard work. Imagine they had husbands like you; we would probably not know them.

I have studied the Bible and nowhere have I seen where women should not be ambitious or work or whatever. The high standard wife ( the virtuous woman) had businesses outside the home, Deborah was a judge, the rich woman who housed Elijah worked alongside her husband etc. The households also had helps aka servants and slaves. It was almost a given.

Please don't get me wrong: there is nothing wrong with the kind of wife you want/home you envision....

Don't just drag a woman who has dreams and kill them.

All these should really teach women to first know themselves so they know the kind of man who suits them.

3 Likes

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by postmann: 10:18pm On Nov 03, 2018
2buffagain:

So in summary, the "wisdom" you are passing on is:
- Do not marry any woman that seems like she has a brain. Always opt for the stupid one to be on the safe side.
- If she has a job and eventually starts earning more from it than you make, get her fired or get her to quit. Who send her message?
- If she has a business that she is exceling at, scatter it. How dare she?

I never knew that men are now supposed to be doing the work of Satan in their wives' lives.

To each their own man.
The more I endure this conversation, the more I thank God I wasn't raised to be as evil as the seemingly average Nigerian man.

Creating a hyperbolic representation of my statement is a distraction from the man you are; a man overwhelmed and defeated by the challenges he encountered. A man who being confronted with a challenge takes the easiest way out.

You're no different from the medieval slave drivers, you're just draped in a modern apparel and i know a handful of tribes here in Nigeria whose women are known for hard work but cursed with lazy, stargazing pancies who would rather seat comfortably while their wives labour to feed them. I believe you're a seed from one of those tribes.

Feminism to you is a financial bailout. Sit your lazy ass down while your wife after going through all the disruption of pregnancy and childbirth, still crawl back and beat you down in getting that doe. You're better off castrated than be identified as a man. Effeminate weakass doofus!

Amongst your in-laws, you'd be regarded as a good for nothing leech who is relegated to the lowest of stools during family meetings because you add no value to them. They gave you their daughter (after paying peanuts) you fûcked her for free, she gave you children and pay your bills. She is the least proud amongst her sisters because you bring her no honour.

1 Like

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by bukatyne(f): 10:23pm On Nov 03, 2018
@Elder0001:

Brideprice is Biblical (or should I say Jewish) and and if I could scrap it, I would.

However Indians pay to marry their men yet they are maltreated on top their money. embarassed

I like how Yorubas adapted it: we return the brideprice to the groom that we are not selling our daughters. The husband brings a list of things for engagement (depending on the family) and the bride's family hosts the engagement and gives token gifts to the groom's family.

That way, nobody is bought and sold.

2 Likes

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by IamD18: 10:33pm On Nov 03, 2018
bukatyne:
:

Brideprice is Biblical (or should I say Jewish) and and if I could scrap it, I would.

However Indians pay to marry their men yet they are maltreated on top their money. embarassed

I like how Yorubas adapted it: we return the brideprice to the groom that we are not selling our daughters. The husband brings a list of things for engagement (depending on the family) and the bride's family hosts the engagement and gives token gifts to the groom's family.

In other words. The holy bible instructed us to sell humans into marriage?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by bukatyne(f): 10:41pm On Nov 03, 2018
IamD18:

If you say so.

Do you have anyone for sale?

2 Likes

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by postmann: 10:46pm On Nov 03, 2018
bukatyne:

Nothing wrong with an ambitious woman save she marries a man with a matching ambition.

You're in grave error if you measure a woman's success outside her role as a good and dutiful wife and mother. Most of them sacrificed their families for their career. And the result is wayward children exposed to drugs and indecencies at a very tender age.

The woman of prov 31 puts her family first. And yes, she works from home and she controls her time not her employers.

Remember the rich woman when her son was sick while at the farm with his father? The father sent the boy home to his mother. She didn't have to seek and wait for permission from a superior in her workplace before attending to her son.

To each his own like you said, but for women married their first call of duty is home not career.

2 Likes

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by IamD18: 10:50pm On Nov 03, 2018
bukatyne:

If you say so.

I want to get that fact from you following your initial explanations.

Did the bible instruct us to sell women into marriage?

1 Like

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by postmann: 10:52pm On Nov 03, 2018
IamD18:

Hmmm!!!

Wisdom!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by postmann: 11:04pm On Nov 03, 2018
bukatyne:

If you say so.

You know you can't have one leg in Christianity and the other leg outside. For there is no room for feminism in Christianity.

Titus 2 : 3-5

Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4 Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.

"To be busy at home". Not necessarily being a house wife but putting her family first over her personal ambition.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by bukatyne(f): 11:23pm On Nov 03, 2018
IamD18:

I want to get that fact from you following your initial explanations.

Did the bible instruct us to sell women into marriage?

The Bible teaches how to sell slaves and treat them properly in the Old Testament.

Even if you equate bride price to selling a woman, nowhere tells you how to go about it.

Just make sure the price is worth the sale.

Jesus Christ paid with his life.

2 Likes

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by bukatyne(f): 11:37pm On Nov 03, 2018
postmann:

1. Nothing wrong with an ambitious woman save she marries a man with a matching ambition.

2. You're in grave error if you measure a woman's success outside her role as a good and dutiful wife and mother. Most of them sacrificed their families for their career. And the result is wayward children exposed to drugs and indecencies at a very tender age.

3. The woman of prov 31 puts her family first. And yes, she works from home and she controls her time not her employers.

4. Remember the rich woman when her son was sick while at the farm with his father? The father sent the boy home to his mother. She didn't have to seek and wait for permission from a superior in her workplace before attending to her son.

5. To each his own like you said, but for women married their first call of duty is home not career.

1. This competitive nature is beyond me. And it is not godly.

2. Oh, quit the drama; women siting at home watching their kids grow does not necessarily produce good results. And for anyone to be a success, the person (male or female) has to succeed in all areas of his/ her life. And sir, it is actually men/fathers who are tasked with training their children /impacting/ transferring knowledge. We all know how Eli turned out.

3. She works from home? Did anybody in their time work from an office apart from judges and priests? Rising up at dawn to inspect a field doesn't sound like the work from home you have in mind.

4. The father sent the boy home to his mother? The mother was on the farm with him. And apart from slaves, nobody had the employer/employer relationship we have today. And it is a myth to think that doing your own thing will give you more time except we are talking selling sweets in front of the house.

5. A woman's first point of duty is neither her home nor career: it is what she has been destined to be.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by Nobody: 11:39pm On Nov 03, 2018
bukatyne:
@Elder0001:

Either way it should be scrapped as it makes women inferior beings with little or no dignity .

3 Likes

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by IamD18: 11:40pm On Nov 03, 2018
bukatyne:

The Bible teaches how to sell slaves and treat them properly in the Old Testament.

Even if you equate bride price to selling a woman, nowhere tells you how to go about it.

Just make sure the price is worth the sale.

Jesus Christ paid with his life.

You may have a point, Bukatyne

Do well to forgive my curiosity for questioning your assertions.

1, Are we suppose to make reference to Old Testament in the bible when we sure know Jesus as believed and mentioned by you died for us and wiped the beliefs and traditions that took place in Old Testament.

2, About price worthing the sale. I'm lost.

3, Jesus paid with his life? Can we aswel believe in the fact that we sold out loyalty to him for the life he paid?

Not trying to confuse or misinterpret you. I'm just curious.
Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by Nobody: 11:44pm On Nov 03, 2018
postmann:

Creating a hyperbolic representation of my statement is a distraction from the man you are; a man overwhelmed and defeated by the challenges he encountered. A man who being confronted with a challenge takes the easiest way out.

You're no different from the medieval slave drivers, you're just draped in a modern apparel and i know a handful of tribes here in Nigeria whose women are known for hard work but cursed with lazy, stargazing pancies who would rather seat comfortably while their wives labour to feed them. I believe you're a seed from one of those tribes.

Feminism to you is a financial bailout. Sit your lazy ass down while your wife after going through all the disruption of pregnancy and childbirth, still crawl back and beat you down in getting that doe. You're better off castrated than be identified as a man. Effeminate weakass doofus!

Amongst your in-laws, you'd be regarded as a good for nothing leech who is relegated to the lowest of stools during family meetings because you add no value to them. They gave you their daughter (after paying peanuts) you fûcked her for free, she gave you children and pay your bills. She is the least proud amongst her sisters because you bring her no honour.

How someone still possess this kind of disgusting mentality in 2018 is beyond me...

4 Likes

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by Nobody: 11:48pm On Nov 03, 2018
IamD18:
grin

It seems like you want to be unfortunate.

Stop praising yourself with your alternate account , I believe seahawk understands you're the same fool behind that moniker that's why she's not giving you the attention you seek.

Dumbo

4 Likes

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by bukatyne(f): 11:50pm On Nov 03, 2018
postmann:

You know you can't have one leg in Christianity and the other leg outside. For there is no room for feminism in Christianity.

Titus 2 : 3-5

Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4 Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.

"To be busy at home". Not necessarily being a house wife but putting her family first over her personal ambition.

I was expecting the feminism part. No disappointment.

First, I do not see how equal opportunities for women is anti Christ.

Again, I know this discussion is always divided between career/staying at home however, it is a wrong approach.

Most people (men & women) don't have careers: they have jobs they work to pay the bills.

Everyone is created for two purposes:
1. Worship God
2. Individual/distinct purposes.

We are all expected to put the will of God/ our purposes over personal ambitions. Part of which will be a good wife/husband/child/patent/neighbour/colleague/customer etc. so that our testimony will not be ruined.

Besides how can a woman's calling be wifehood and motherhood when these relationships end on earth and we are spiritual beings?

For example, Esther was to save the Jew's, Mary was to birth the saviour etc. Do you think these women would have said to me successful if they failed at these duties?

I asked you some questions on another thread which I will try to respond to tomorrow.

4 Likes

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by postmann: 12:19am On Nov 04, 2018
bukatyne:

1. This competitive nature is beyond me. And it is not godly.

Men don't compete with women. It's usually the other way round. No woman is satisfied stuck with a lesser ambitious man. It's biologically encoded in you guys.

bukatyne:

. Oh, quit the drama; women siting at home watching their kids grow does not necessarily produce good results.

Am i supposed to consider this a valid excuse for absentee mothers who waste their breast milk in the office sink while the infant is fed refined goat milk laced with harmful preservatives?

bukatyne:

And for anyone to be a success, the person (male or female) has to succeed in all areas of his/ her life.

"All areas of life" with varying degrees of priority. "Nothing separates a mother from her child." Not even career!

bukatyne:

And sir, it is actually men/fathers who are tasked with training their children /impacting/ transferring knowledge. We all know how Eli turned out.

Husbands are to instruct, wives are to pass down the instructions. Especially when the children are still tender.
bukatyne:

She works from home? Did anybody in their time work from an office apart from judges and priests? Rising up at dawn to inspect a field doesn't sound like the work from home you have in mind.

Sure they did. Some worked at the temple, some in palace.

Having to inspect a field and see how it's turning out doesn't represent a woman who wakes up every morning rushing out to get to the office before 8am of which failure will attract a query. If anything, it represents a woman with all the leisure and time in world.
bukatyne:

. The father sent the boy home to his mother? The mother was on the farm with him.
2 kings 4 : 18-20

The child grew, and one day he went out to his father, who was with the reapers. 19 He said to his father, “My head! My head!”

His father told a servant, “Carry him to his mother.” 20 After the servant had lifted him up and carried him to his mother, the boy sat on her lap until noon, and then he died.

There is no indication whatsoever that the father and mother were at the farm together. Rather it was the father and the boy who were at the farm. Vs 21 reads; she went up and lay him on the bed of the man of GOD indicating she was home.

I know feminist have their own bible, I just hope you're not quoting the scriptures from there. grin

bukatyne:

And apart from slaves, nobody had the employer/employer relationship we have today. And it is a myth to think that doing your own thing will give you more time except we are talking selling sweets in front of the house.

5. A woman's first point of duty is neither her home nor career: it is what she has been destined to be.

I said a woman who is married her first call is her home. Not just any woman. And this is scriptural.

1 Like

Re: Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women by postmann: 12:25am On Nov 04, 2018
Elder0001:

How someone still possess this kind of disgusting mentality in 2018 is beyond me...

How's the search for bleaching cream going?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done / What Will U Do If Ur Wife Slaps Ur Mother? / Rejoinder: Marrying A Woman Who Makes Money.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.