Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,962 members, 7,810,667 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:02 PM

Does Grace Mean That A Christian Has The Right To Commit Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Grace Mean That A Christian Has The Right To Commit Sin? (1157 Views)

Does Grace Really Gives Us The License To Sin? / Why Do "Born Again" Christians Still Commit Sin? / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Grace Mean That A Christian Has The Right To Commit Sin? by TheClown: 9:53pm On Jul 20, 2010
Can anyone clarify me on this topic please. If yes, then are the commandments irrelevant? If no then why do some christian explain away their untamed sinful nature wielding grace as a weapon, actually presenting Christianity in a bad light?

No offense intended please, some years back in school, I observed to a born (not sure of his denomination) that some male and female members of a certain denomination (name withheld to avoid ill feeling and attack) who outwardly profess to be born again co-habit, as per couples and he asked me, 'have you ever heard of grace?' I tried to clarify my stand with my own understanding of grace but realised that i was very much having a minority opinion. As an Orthodox Christian believed to have a scanty Bible Knowledge, I kept quiet, knowing though that its either I'm right or Christianity is experiencing a changing phase and my Orthodox Ideas are no more relevant.

I was reading an incidence that occurred between a Christian and Mahatma Gandhi and what the Christian said and even did because of his thoughts concerning sin and grace and I'm forced to seek your sincere opinions.
Re: Does Grace Mean That A Christian Has The Right To Commit Sin? by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jul 28, 2010
The Clown:

Can anyone clarify me on this topic please. If yes, then are the commandments irrelevant? If no then why do some christian explain away their untamed sinful nature wielding grace as a weapon, actually presenting Christianity in a bad light?

No offense intended please, some years back in school, I observed to a born (not sure of his denomination) that some male and female members of a certain denomination (name withheld to avoid ill feeling and attack) who outwardly profess to be born again  co-habit, as per couples and he asked me, 'have you ever heard of grace?' I tried to clarify my stand with my own understanding of grace but realised that i was very much having a minority opinion. As an Orthodox Christian believed to have a scanty Bible Knowledge, I kept quiet, knowing though that its either I'm right or Christianity is experiencing a changing phase and my Orthodox Ideas are no more relevant.

I was reading an incidence that occurred between a Christian and Mahatma Gandhi and what the Christian said and even did because of his thoughts concerning sin and grace and I'm forced to seek your sincere opinions.

We often confuse unconditional love with unconditional approval.

God loves us without conditions, but he DOES NOT APPROVE OF EVERY HUMAN BEHAVIOUR. . .
Re: Does Grace Mean That A Christian Has The Right To Commit Sin? by grace5: 11:41pm On Jul 28, 2010
GRACE

GOD REDEMPTION AT CHRIST EXPENSE (GRACE)

CHRIST HAS NO SIN

SATAN IS A SINNER

WHOM DO YOU YIELD YOUR MEMBER TO OBEY

BECOMES YOUR MASTER

YOU WILL END UP IN HIS HOUSE.

SO PONDER ON IT.

FOLLOW JESUS.
Re: Does Grace Mean That A Christian Has The Right To Commit Sin? by Image123(m): 9:47am On Jul 29, 2010
Grace is NOT a license to commit sin or to live couples' life. All such people are NOT on the way to Heaven but on the way to destruction. Grace is what saves us(the repentant ) despite our sins.
Re: Does Grace Mean That A Christian Has The Right To Commit Sin? by seyibrown(f): 1:36pm On Jul 29, 2010
Are you saying they are committing fornication? Xtians DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO SIN. Professing christ and sinning deliberately do not go together. Xtians who deliberately continue in sin are throwing away their salvation.

SEE ROMANS 6: 1 -23 below (New American Standard Bible)

'1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?
2 May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?
3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death?
4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection,
6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin;
7 for he who has died is freed from sin.
8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,
9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him.
10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.
11 Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts,
13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.
14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be!
16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?
17 But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed,
18 and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.
19 I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification.
20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.
21 Therefore what benefit were you then deriving from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the outcome of those things is death.
22 But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.'
Re: Does Grace Mean That A Christian Has The Right To Commit Sin? by seyibrown(f): 1:44pm On Jul 29, 2010
We are supposed to 'flee from sin'; 'flee from every appearance of evil';'let our light so shine before men that they may glorify our father in heaven'; not to sin or bring reproach to his name. True children of God do not go against the word of God.

', The lord knows those who are his , Let everyone that nameth the name of christ depart from iniquity' (II Timothy 2 v 19)
Re: Does Grace Mean That A Christian Has The Right To Commit Sin? by Image123(m): 4:54pm On Jul 29, 2010
Are you saying they are comitting fornication?
I don't understand this sentence in your post. Are you asking or answering it?
Re: Does Grace Mean That A Christian Has The Right To Commit Sin? by seyibrown(f): 5:42pm On Jul 29, 2010
Was asking if OP meant they were fornicating just in case he only meant they shared accomodation.
Re: Does Grace Mean That A Christian Has The Right To Commit Sin? by nopuqeater: 8:47am On Jul 30, 2010
@Seyibrown: « #4 on: Yesterday at 01:36:25 PM »
Are you saying they are committing fornication? Xtians DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO SIN. Professing christ and sinning deliberately do not go together. Xtians who deliberately continue in sin are throwing away their salvation.

SEE ROMANS 6: 1 -23 below (New American Standard Bible)

'1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?
2 May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?
3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death?
4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection,
6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin;
7 for he who has died is freed from sin.
8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,
9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him.
10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.
11 Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts,
13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.
14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be!
16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?
17 But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed,
18 and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.
19 I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification.
20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.
21 Therefore what benefit were you then deriving from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the outcome of those things is death.
22 But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.'
Report to moderator Logged
www.domainshostingdesignmerchants.co.uk
www.inkdomain.co.uk
seyibrown (f)
Nairaland

Re: Does Grace Mean That A Christian Has The Right To Commit Sin?
« #5 on: Yesterday at 01:44:09 PM »

We are supposed to 'flee from sin'; 'flee from every appearance of evil';'let our light so shine before men that they may glorify our father in heaven'; not to sin or bring reproach to his name. True children of God do not go against the word of God.

', The lord knows those who are his , Let everyone that nameth the name of christ depart from iniquity' (II Timothy 2 v 19)
If a person who does not believe in Jesus as the christian believes does not commit any sin. Is such a one who puts his/her hope on God Almighty Who Jesus His slave said sent him, is devoid of te salvation, mercy and forgiveness of Eloi (The God and Lord of Jesus)? Remember he/she does not believe in Jesus as Christians believe. Yet in all of the bruhaha about Jesus the servant of Eloi, the Christians say that salvation is of the Jews.

How do you figure this out, and what do you make of your condition if your deliberate sins can not be protected from getting you to lake of fire, even so that you believe that Jesus died for you? Is such a death not in vain in many ways; his death cant even prevent you from committing sins, deliberate sins for a start. even then, hs death however you package it could not get you scott free from getting punish, because you sin. are you punished by God, not by Jesus who cant even save you from your sins, as you have stated, because you do not believe in Jesus as Christians do? So whats the purpose of saying that salvation is of the Jews, since they do not beleive in Jesus? Are you saying that because the Jews are Jews, they are saved anyways, regardless? And the rest of us who are neither Jews nor christians are doomed?
What kinda God will punish sinless non-jews and depends on Him except that he does not believe Jesus to be Lord and or God, hence not a person who worships associates with GOD LORD ALMIGHTY CREATOR?
Re: Does Grace Mean That A Christian Has The Right To Commit Sin? by seyibrown(f): 12:22pm On Jul 30, 2010
If a person who does not believe in Jesus as the christian believes does not commit any sin. Is such a one who puts his/her hope on God Almighty Who Jesus His slave said sent him, is devoid of te salvation, mercy and forgiveness of Eloi (The God and Lord of Jesus)? Remember he/she does not believe in Jesus as Christians believe. Yet in all of the bruhaha about Jesus the servant of Eloi, the Christians say that salvation is of the Jews.

How do you figure this out, and what do you make of your condition if your deliberate sins can not be protected from getting you to lake of fire, even so that you believe that Jesus died for you? Is such a death not in vain in many ways; his death cant even prevent you from committing sins, deliberate sins for a start. even then, hs death however you package it could not get you scott free from getting punish, because you sin. are you punished by God, not by Jesus who cant even save you from your sins, as you have stated, because you do not believe in Jesus as Christians do? So whats the purpose of saying that salvation is of the Jews, since they do not beleive in Jesus? Are you saying that because the Jews are Jews, they are saved anyways, regardless? And the rest of us who are neither Jews nor christians are doomed?
What kinda God will punish sinless non-jews and depends on Him except that he does not believe Jesus to be Lord and or God, hence not a person who worships associates with GOD LORD ALMIGHTY CREATOR?

Do you know anyone who has not committed any sin? Where their is no law, their is no sin, but we have all fallen foul of God's law in one way or another (Romans 3 v 23 : for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God); we do not meet up to the standard God set for us. I know the Jesus way to salvation and as such preach that gospel; It is a tried and tested way and I do not know of any other way to salvation. If you do, please try and introduce it and explain how it works.

Jesus died to erase our sins. We get a fresh start when we come to him. When we mistakenly sin, we can ask for forgiveness and he will forgive. When you deliberately continue in sin, e.g. a christian who continues to fornicate knowing it is wrong, not closing all the doors that let him continue in that sin, will recieve the reward for his behaviour(See Hebrews 6 vs 4-8 below):

4 For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit,
5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,
6 and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.
7 For ground that drinks the rain which often falls on it and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God;
8 but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and close to being cursed, and it ends up being burned.

Christ's death does not prevent us from commmitting sin beacause we have the choice to sin or not to sin. Your quote 'salvation is of the Jews' means 'salvation came from among them' as Jesus was a Jew. Many Jews are receiving Christ now. Jews are not saved just because they are Jews. I had no peace of God or certainty of heaven outside Christ but I do now know what my fate is now that I have Christ.
Re: Does Grace Mean That A Christian Has The Right To Commit Sin? by nopuqeater: 8:30pm On Jul 30, 2010
@Seyibrown: « #9 on: Today at 12:22:54 PM »
Do you know anyone who has not committed any sin?
Many. For one, John the son of Zachariah (AS). His father, Zachariah (AS). I will stop here just to whet your appetite. If you know their sins, tell me. Put it or them very clearly, because I do not know how to read mind. Also there are others that God said He will forgive them their sins or overlook them, though they have not committed the sin[s]. They are in the same category of sinlessness.

Where their is no law, their is no sin,
True.o the ones who God gave laws to administer to their people and or mankind in general, will be considered sinless if God said of them "you have delivered my message[s] well, as good messenger[s]". Do you consider them sinful when God Who knows all said they are good messengers, worthy of His praise?

but we have all fallen foul of God's law in one way or another (Romans 3 v 23 : for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God); we do not meet up to the standard God set for us.
Is a new born baby in this category, too? Just as grown people like you and I, who probably have committed some sins? What sin has a new baby committed; sharing mother's warmth? Please explain how she or he is in sin.

I know the Jesus way to salvation and as such preach that gospel;
And before Jesus, there were Noah who saved people from perishing in the flood. These salvaged people died long time before Jesus came or was known. And just to name another, Moses saved many from the tyranny of Pharaoh. Many were not rebellios among these people. And they died before Jesus was ever mentioned otr known. Joshua was one of the followers of Moses You will see that Jesus was ntr unique n this condition. All messengers and prophets qualified. Did you forget Lot?

It is a tried and tested way and I do not know of any other way to salvation. If you do, please try and introduce it and explain how it works.[/quot}Islam was the religion of jesus, though his heritage was of the Jewish tribes. Follow Islam. You need no blood of anyone. You dont depend on anyone. Your connection is directly to God Who sent Jesus His servant. The road map is there in the Quran. Soon I will give you my email address so that we can talk, outside this forum, if you desire true salvation from the One Who is the Savior; God Almighty the Creator. Jesus called Him Eloi. I say His name is Allah. Listen to the similarity of the sounds.

Jesus died to erase our sins. We get a fresh start when we come to him. When we mistakenly sin, we can ask for forgiveness and he will forgive. When you deliberately continue in sin, e.g. a christian who continues to fornicate knowing it is wrong, not closing all the doors that let him continue in that sin, will recieve the reward for his behaviour(See Hebrews 6 vs 4-8 below):

4 For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit,
5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,
6 and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.
7 For ground that drinks the rain which often falls on it and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God;
8 but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and close to being cursed, and it ends up being burned.

Christ's death does not prevent us from commmitting sin beacause we have the choice to sin or not to sin. Your quote 'salvation is of the Jews' means 'salvation came from among them' as Jesus was a Jew. Many Jews are receiving Christ now. Jews are not saved just because they are Jews. I had no peace of God or certainty of heaven outside Christ but I do now know what my fate is now that I have Christ.
Wishful thining. You know about the Shango people. They have the same idealogy "Shango oba koso" is their mantra, while yours as a christian is the above, from your Bible, your thought.
Re: Does Grace Mean That A Christian Has The Right To Commit Sin? by BillyHobe: 1:58pm On Aug 03, 2010
Hobes Notes: Jesus has not committed sin! and when if you say he did you sin and lose all hope,  embarassed for you have yielded to the author of sin to say Christ sins, yes he angered for blind disobedience unto God in the temple,angry this Jesus did from a pure heart out of obedience unto God,  smiley and was not imputed unto Him as sin, therefore He, Jesus found victory over sin! being accused of wrong yet being innocent, knowingly could have called at any time his fathers angels to save Himself, yet for the sake of the scriptures chose for your sake  kiss to be sacrificed so he would then prove Himself worthy to be able to forgive mans sins on earth!  cheesy
Him who denies this is like the christian who says "Sin is free to do because of the grace of Christ" God forbid than what need is there of the commandments at all? Grace is not a license to sin!angry And all the prophets of old knew this well, this is why their sins were not counted, they knew and belived in the Christ to come, And I testify to you this Christ was and is Jesus the  one and only Christ, and no Roman can ever be the real Christ, not even if he is Jewish.
Notice that the people of Islam say "cease to do sin" but they still admit that all men sin, because they cannot stop, why? because they have not called out unto Jesus, Who they claim to know Him, claiming Him (Jesus) to be a prophet of Islam yet they say of all them who follow Jesus the label "Infidel"  undecided and group christian together Saying all Infidels must die! they most obviously lied, when they said they belive in Jesus as a prophet,  lipsrsealed I now ask everyone to answer this next question, truthful for yourself, because your very soul depends on it! "who is the author of sin"? than answer this who is your master?  lipsrsealed
Children are born sinless they learn sin from their parent and peers.  undecided since Abel till now only Jesus was pure, When God saves the Christians of the soon coming end time flood,  cool the whole world will know God loved them, because they loved His son Jesus, they will then come to fear! When God destroys the disobedient all around us, we will then be like Abel, to quit sinning.  shocked than we will have heaven on earth again in that day, I tell you it is not far off! by twelve years of age all have reached the age of accountability, and without the pollution brought in by nonbelievers in Jesus, who understand not that the Grace of Christ gives us the Holly Spirit within, empowering us to overcome sin!   grin restoring our conscience so that we can see the sin and the sinner before entering in, therefore we are reminded of Lots wife who looked back and was turned into a pillar of salt!  cry However, until the day Lot's family left Sodom, the grace in the faith that the Christ would come and fullfil covered Lot's wifes sin, but not in the hour of judgment. Tempt not thy Lord thy God, He will not be mocked.
Re: Does Grace Mean That A Christian Has The Right To Commit Sin? by tayore: 10:19am On Aug 04, 2010
I guess the question to ask is: What is Sin?

When we understand what SIN is, (not what we are taught to believe it is) then, we will realize that people are simply held in bondage by their incorrect perception of sin.

It is the inability to uphold erroneous beliefs that incites an attempt to justify it.
Re: Does Grace Mean That A Christian Has The Right To Commit Sin? by TheClown: 12:30pm On Aug 04, 2010
Thank you all for you contributions, I now understand that my opinion is after all not out of place with some Christians. Its however true that some arrogant brethren in Christ are either fed with lies or are just making excuses for their sins.

In response to a question; I mean live two adults of opposite sex, not related, sleeping and waking in the same room and doing things like married couples. As for having sex, I don't know but I would certainly not be invited to come and witness if they do in the secrecy of their rooms. Judging no one. I wanted an answer and the little I've gotten is enough for me. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

September Holy Ghost Service / Of That Day And Hour Knoweth No Man / CHRIST EMBASSY Authors New Book - Suck A D*@k Save A Marriage (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.