Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,787 members, 7,820,754 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency (2910 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen: South-east Governors In Abuja Over Attacks / South East Governors Meeting In Owerri (Photo) / Moroco Recalls Ambassador In Nigeria Over Presidency Unethical Practices-bbc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by Nobody: 7:03am On Jul 21, 2010
The Ohanaeze Ndigbo Political Forum has flayed the five south east governors over their alleged insistence that the zone would not field candidates for the 2011 presidential election.

The group described the position of the governors as ‘self- centred and self serving’, adding that it is not in tandem with the popular views of Ndigbo and the Ohanaeze , which is the apex socio-political organisation in the South East Zone.

The National Chairman of the Political Forum of Ohanaeze, Nnamdi Akanna-Campbell Umeh, told The Nation in an interview in Lagos that the action of the governors is condemnable.

Umeh said it is strange for any group of people to shy away from the highest position in the land, adding that the Ohanaeze as the mouthpiece of the Igbo was never consulted by the governors.

According to Umeh, "The governors do not have the mandate of Ndigbo to say what they said about the 2011 presidential race. It is unheard of that some five individuals will meet somewhere and declare that a whole race would not present candidates for the highest positions in the land.

"If the governors are pushing for somebody to become President, that should not make them slaughter their people’s ambition on the altar of sycophancy."

The Ohanaeze chieftain maintained that there are presidential aspirants of Igbo stock who are prepared for the race, just as there are Igbo men and women who want to run as vice president.

"Ndigbo should disregard the governors stand, because it is selfish and self serving. Igbo are prepared to run for the highest office in the land and the governors cannot stop us", he said.
http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/politics/6609.html
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by BluMalam(m): 2:12pm On Jul 21, 2010
;d ;d ;d cool cool cool :p
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by Kabikala(m): 2:23pm On Jul 21, 2010
Igbo governors have always amazed me with their thinking which is usually based on the never-oppose-the-person-at-the-centre principle rather than taking a chance at trying to get there by themselves.
While the battle for the revalidation of June 12 1993 election was raging, the south-east governors met and issued a communique threatening to secede should the election be de-annulled.
When Obasanjo was going for second term in 2003, all the Igbo Governors were rooting for him even more than the Yoruba Governors.
While Chris Ngige was being harassed by the imperial Obasanjo in 2003 and public buildings in Anambra were razed by sponsored thugs, no Igbo Governor (except Orji Kalu) condemned the FG-sponsored attacks or offerred solidarity to Ngige.
When Obasanjo wanted third term in 2006, no Igbo Governor (expect Orji Kalu) raised his voice to condemn the evil plot.
While Umaru was lying prostrate in Saudi Arabia, Igbo Governors met and declared that there was no vacancy in Aso Rock and that Goodluck should not be made Acting President.
Now Igbo governors have come out to say Igbos should not contest for the 2011 presidency?
The question is: what is it with Igbo governors and their lack of principles?
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by udezue(m): 3:10pm On Jul 21, 2010
Rubbish! when did Igbo gov say that GEJ could not be President because Yaradua was still sick or dead in Saudi Arabia. Ohanaeze has no right to condemn anyone for not wanting to run. There is no psychophancy whatsoever.GEJ is good enough as long Igbo politicians and ppl play their cards right and make all the necessary demands for GEJ to meet in order to get the support of the Igbo which will win him the Presidency. For all these years what have Ohanaeze done better in terms of getting the Igbo to Aso Rock? When the Igbo participated there were so many that by the end of the day our votes get so split we end up not having enough to move anyone forward. GEJ might not be the best but for now he is one of the few options we have. I might not like all his actions but I still lend him support. Igbo ppl don't have to run for every election. Sometimes its better to be the King maker and get ur bargains than to be the one begging to be made the King. GEJ is from the East. A man of both Ijaw and Ekpeye-Igbo descent and if Ohanaeze is truly working uniting all Igbo groups politically which will the lead to unity btwn all ethnic nations in the East they will stand behind GEJ and commend the SE gov for doing what they did. SS which is part of the East now got a chance to produce a President so let's support it. GEJ is one of us regardless. I think our governors are better off implementing policies to improve SE than wasting their time and $ running for Presidency when we can with our large # get candidates of our choice into Asorock. As long as GEJ agrees to certain terms which honestly he has to coz SS and SE are in the same boat let's give him our support. Ohanaeze needs to show this level of passion when dealing with important issues affecting the Igbo. Its time we the younger generation of Igbo and Easterner use better strategies. If Donald Duke was to be in the same position now I think we should support him too coz he is one of us. Check the North. Not all of their leaders have been Fulani or Hausa majority. They've had more minorities represent the region.
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by chyz(m): 3:17pm On Jul 21, 2010
udezue:

Rubbish! when did Igbo gov say that GEJ could not be President because Yaradua was still sick or dead in Saudi Arabia. Ohanaeze has no right to condemn anyone for not wanting to run. There is no psychophancy whatsoever.GEJ is good enough as long Igbo politicians and ppl play their cards right and make all the necessary demands for GEJ to meet in order to get the support of the Igbo which will win him the Presidency. For all these years what have Ohanaeze done better in terms of getting the Igbo to Aso Rock? When the Igbo participated there were so many that by the end of the day our votes get so split we end up not having enough to move anyone forward. GEJ might not be the best but for now he is one of the few options we have. I might not like all his actions but I still lend him support. Igbo ppl don't have to run for every election. Sometimes its better to be the King maker and get your bargains than to be the one begging to be made the King. GEJ is from the East. A man of both Ijaw and Ekpeye-Igbo descent and if Ohanaeze is truly working uniting all Igbo groups politically which will the lead to unity btwn all ethnic nations in the East they will stand behind GEJ and commend the SE gov for doing what they did. SS which is part of the East now got a chance to produce a President so let's support it. GEJ is one of us regardless. I think our governors are better off implementing policies to improve SE than wasting their time and $ running for Presidency when we can with our large # get candidates of our choice into Asorock. As long as GEJ agrees to certain terms which honestly he has to coz SS and SE are in the same boat let's give him our support. Ohanaeze needs to show this level of passion when dealing with important issues affecting the Igbo. Its time we the younger generation of Igbo and Easterner use better strategies. If Donald Duke was to be in the same position now I think we should support him too coz he is one of us. Check the North. Not all of their leaders have been Fulani or Hausa majority. They've had more minorities represent the region.

100%. Couldn't have been said any better.
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by Nchara: 3:50pm On Jul 21, 2010
This is not the Ohaneze that we all know. This one na fake. The governors have not stopped anyone from contesting. They simply said they will not contest. Other Igbos are free to contest if they wish. All Igbo governors still have one term to go so they are not available. It is not by force.
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by Nchara: 3:50pm On Jul 21, 2010
Kalu can contest if he wishes. grin grin grin grin
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by bkbabe90(m): 4:01pm On Jul 21, 2010
udezue:

There is no psychophancy whatsoever.GEJ is good enough as long Igbo politicians and ppl play their cards right and make all the necessary demands for GEJ to meet in order to get the support of the Igbo which will win him the Presidency.

Ummm, Sir, excuse me if I'm wrong. . . BUT, I THOUGHT CHUKWUEMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU ALREADY PROMISED ALL OF IBO VOTE TO GEN. IBRAHIM BABANGIDA?!!?!  Now, ure talkin' bout making demands under which to support the current President's bid next year! Damn! U throwing your support both ways? shocked  And u say others r treacherous?!?! lol. wow
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by EzeUche(m): 4:04pm On Jul 21, 2010
bk/babe90:

Ummm, Sir, excuse me if I'm wrong. . . BUT, I THOUGHT CHUKWUEMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU ALREADY PROMISED [b]ALL OF IBO VOTE TO GEN. IBRAHIM BABANGIDA?!!?![/b] Now, ure talkin' bout making demands under which to support the current President's bid next year! Damn! U throwing your support both ways? shocked And u say others r treacherous?!?! lol. wow

Why must you rear your ugly head in every thread that deals with the Ndi Igbo? Good Lord mehn, control yourself and get a grip over yourself.

You are starting to sound like a broken record that is blah blah blah Ibo blah blah blah[b] Biafra Biafra Biafra [/b] blah blah blah Ibo thieves blah blah blah[b] Ojukwu[/b] blah blah blah.
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by bkbabe90(m): 4:08pm On Jul 21, 2010
EzeUche:

Why must you rear your ugly head in every thread that deals with the Ndi Igbo? Good Lord mehn, control yourself and get a grip over yourself.

You are starting to sound like a broken record that is blah blah blah Ibo blah blah blah[b] Biafra Biafra Biafra [/b] blah blah blah Ibo thieves blah blah blah[b] Ojukwu[/b] blah blah blah.

Lol. Mr. So be commercial a.k.a Mr FL Gators now Known as Ileke Idi, I asked a simple question, didnt I? All u needed to do was provide a simple answer. . . . . Why the anger?!?!
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jul 21, 2010
bk/babe90:

Lol. Mr. So be commercial a.k.a[b] Mr FL Gators now Known as Ileke Idi,[/b] I asked a simple question, didnt I? All u needed to do was provide a simple answer. . . . . Why the anger?!?!
I know why you're back to your obsession. . . . it's really sad tho.

ROTFL! grin grin grin
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by EzeUche(m): 4:13pm On Jul 21, 2010
Stop derailing threads people. angry

Well I am happy that the South-east governors are not focusing on the presidency. It would be a waste of time. However, I feel anyone should have the freedom to run no matter what tribes they are from. I could care less if the person is Igbo, Efik, Kanuri, Ijaw, Yoruba, Nupe, Idoma or Tiv. As long as the best person is running.
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by Kabikala(m): 4:24pm On Jul 21, 2010
Rubbish!  when did Igbo gov say that GEJ could not be President because Yaradua was still sick or dead in Saudi Arabia.

@Udezue:
Find the link:
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=165258

Senate Urges President to Submit Vacation Letter
•S’East Govs: He hasn’t breached the constitution
From Sufuyan Ojeifo in Abuja and Christopher Isiguzo in Enugu, 01.28.2010

After two days of debate on the absence of President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua from the country on health grounds for more than two months now, the Senate yesterday reached a decision: it asked the President to transmit a letter to the National Assembly, notifying it of his medical vacation,

Meanwhile, governors of the five states in the South-east geopolitical zone rose from a one-day meeting yesterday in Enugu with a resolution that President Yar’Adua has not breached any constitution by being away from the country for more than two months as a result of ill-health.
The governors dismissed the call for Vice-President Goodluck Jonathan to be made an Acting President as misplaced.

In a six-point communiqué read to newsmen after their meeting at the Government House Enugu, Chairman of the forum and Governor of Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi, the governors warned those commenting on the President’s long absence to avoid overheating the polity but to first consider the corporate existence of the country.
“Mr. President has not violated any constitutional provision. That he is away is not by his own making and there is no constitution that says you must hand over power to somebody else once you are sick. We still have a president who has not been declared to be permanently incapacitated.

“He remains the head of government and has the right to decide how he should run the government. He mustn’t hand over to the Vice-President because it hasn’t come to that,” they stated, while urging Nigerians to rather unite in prayers for the quick recovery of the president than making unguarded utterances that were capable of causing disquiet in the polity.
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by chuqudy(m): 4:28pm On Jul 21, 2010
bk/babe90:

Ummm, Sir, excuse me if I'm wrong. . . BUT, I THOUGHT CHUKWUEMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU ALREADY PROMISED ALL OF IBO VOTE TO GEN. IBRAHIM BABANGIDA?!!?!  Now, ure talkin' bout making demands under which to support the current President's bid next year! Damn! U throwing your support both ways? shocked  And u say others r treacherous?!?! lol. wow

I am a full blood Igbo man. Did Ojukwu promise IBB all of Igbo votes? If he did so, I think he is just mocking the evil genius. You know Ojukwu can caricature someone. But if Ojukwu sayed that from the bottom of his heart, I think He(Ojukwu) must be suffering from old age. More than 90 percent of Igbo votes would go to Jonathan if he contests. Presently, there is no credible Igbo  man that can win the trust of Igbo people. Unless, someone like Ngige would contest for presidency. Moreover, we have been disappointed by the north. They have ruled the country for years and nothing to right home about. Yaradua, was the best candidate that have ever been produced from the north. He was a rare geme. Since he is late, no way for northern president unless the country wants another 8 years of darkness and backwardness. I thank Obasanjo for rigging the election in favour of Yar Adua. I do not know why good people do not last. No way for  IBB, Atiku, Buhari, Kanu etc. Goodluck Jonathan for president 2011.
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by bkbabe90(m): 4:40pm On Jul 21, 2010
chuqudy:

I am a full blood Igbo man. Did Ojukwu promise IBB all of Igbo votes? If he did so, I think he is just mocking the evil genius. You know Ojukwu can caricature someone. But if Ojukwu sayed that from the bottom of his heart, I think He(Ojukwu) must be suffering from old age. More than 90 percent of Igbo votes would go to Jonathan if he contests. Presently, there is no credible Igbo  man that can win the trust of Igbo people. Unless, someone like Ngige would contest for presidency. Moreover, we have been disappointed by the north. They have ruled the country for years and nothing to right home about. Yaradua, was the best candidate that have ever been produced from the north. He was a rare geme. Since he is late, no way for northern president unless the country wants another 8 years of darkness and backwardness. I thank Obasanjo for rigging the election in favour of Yar Adua. I do not know why good people do not last. No way for  IBB, Atiku, Buhari, Kanu etc. Goodluck Jonathan for president 2011.

Yes, he did! I dont know about "old age" being the reason he made that call! Hey, Arlen Specter is like a billion years old. Ted Kennedy was like 10 gazillion years old. . . . . Yet, we never heard them making crazy, divisive calls, did we? I also dont know about "mocking". Dont u think Ojukwu knows that his words carry weight? Now, lets assume, as u say, he was mocking the evil General, how will he (Ojukwu) now convey the message to his faithfuls (on election day) that he was just "mocking" the General so "Dont vote for him and vote for someon credible". Its gonna be kinda hard to do dont u think?
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by chuqudy(m): 4:53pm On Jul 21, 2010
bk/babe90:

Yes, he did! I dont know about "old age" being the reason he made that call! Hey, Arlen Specter is like a billion years old. Ted Kennedy was like 10 gazillion years old. . . . . Yet, we never heard them making crazy, divisive calls, did we? I also dont know about "mocking". Dont u think Ojukwu knows that his words carry weight? Now, lets assume, as u say, he was mocking the evil General, how will he (Ojukwu) now convey the message his faithfuls (on election day) that he was just "mocking" the General so "Dont vote for him and vote for someon credible". Its gonna be kinda hard to do dont u think?

Ojukwu already knows that no Igbo man who is mentally well will vote for IBB. Ojukwu himself will and can nevr vote for IBB. He is just moking the IBB.
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by fugocisse: 5:59pm On Jul 21, 2010
GOODLUCK EBELE AZIKIWE JONATHAN grin that means he is our son forget about the south east south south issue, i can remember when our grandfathers will ride a bike from owerri to portharcout, from aba to obi-igbo, in other to visit their distance relations. forget about what ojukwu might have said( thats if he really said so and i doubt) jonathan is our son! we igbos will vote for him, our governors played a smart politics there, this is the time for us to call closer our brothers, the isue of divide and rule is no longer relivant. NIGERIA WE HAIL THEE!
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by rhymz(m): 6:47pm On Jul 21, 2010
Bbk/baby
When are U going to grow some sense for 4ck sake? Stop tempting Ur brain with task beyond its capacity, you keep plaguing every serious minded thread with your incredible fit of stupidity. You know na da about the Nigerian polity, may be you should just stick to the 4ckin issues plaguing your fellow amigos in the ghettos. You talk with macho buffoonery and stupidity. Your only claim to being Nigerian are the white and black streaks on your gay azz, facking ignorant Mulatto suffering from an identity problem.
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by chyz(m): 6:52pm On Jul 21, 2010
Lets keep to the subject. anytime someone purposely comes to derail a topic pay them no attention.just continue with the topic.u know what they are saying is untrue so no need to prove anything.
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by formunt(m): 7:07pm On Jul 21, 2010
This is the time to unite.SOUTHERN UNITY IS PARAMOUT
STOP SERVING NORTHERN PEOPLE
ARE YOU CRAZY ?
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jul 21, 2010
Most of these Governors are first term Governors. It of no use to them to run for the sake of running. In fact they are of more political value if they do not run, present a united front, make the next king and negotiate for better deals for the SouthEast.

I don't see any point to criticise the Governors. They are doing just fine in my book.
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by onyengbu1(m): 7:31pm On Jul 21, 2010
rhymz:

Bbk/baby
When are U going to grow some sense for 4ck sake? Stop tempting your brain with task beyond its capacity, you keep plaguing every serious minded thread with your incredible fit of stupidity. You know na da about the Nigerian polity, may be you should just stick to the 4ckin issues plaguing your fellow amigos in the ghettos. You talk with macho buffoonery and stupidity. Your only claim to being Nigerian are the white and black streaks on your gay azz, facking ignorant Mulatto suffering from an identity problem.

Thats where you got it all wrong. The guy is a full blooded nigerian. He is just an oshodi tout american wannabe.
Has he ever made sense to you before?

His obsession with Ojukwu will someday give him him a serious heart condition if care is not taken.
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by sjeezy8: 7:36pm On Jul 21, 2010
fugocisse:

GOODLUCK EBELE AZIKIWE JONATHAN grin that means he is our son forget about the south east south south issue, i can remember when our grandfathers will ride a bike from owerri to portharcout, from aba to obi-igbo, in other to visit their distance relations. forget about what ojukwu might have said( thats if he really said so and i doubt) jonathan is our son! we igbos will vote for him, our governors played a smart politics there, this is the time for us to call closer our brothers, the isue of divide and rule is no longer relivant. NIGERIA WE HAIL THEE!

AMEN!!!!!!!!

Jonathan is an igboman with ijaw mother - or what eva
Kills two birds with one Stone- The SE and SS

- now we can do away with zoning since igbos know Jonathan is an igbo.
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by PHIPEX(m): 9:10pm On Jul 21, 2010
I have always known that it's only a fool and a madman that do same thing over and again and expect a different result. If we recall history of democratic election in the country especially at the presidencial level, we know that the greatest undoing of my people from the east of the Niger has been always presenting morethan one candidate in every presidential election and when we succeed in geting a candidate others go behind to run as second fiddles (VPs). Now that the governors have taken a sane decision for once I think they should be encouraged.

My only worry is if we can as a poeple stand by this decision when the presure mounts.
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by CarlosVent(m): 10:11pm On Jul 21, 2010
dey shuld not cos we cant win if we bring out.lets support jonathan period
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by mensdept: 10:53pm On Jul 21, 2010
Except for Peter Obi, how many of those SE or even SS governors actually won their elections fair and square? Were they not all rigged in? Some of them are carpet crossers and known criminals.

As for Ohanaeze, they are toothless, visionless, and contractless. Imagine someone calling himself "The National Chairman of the Political Forum of Ohanaeze". What the heck does that mean, except a craze for heavy title and relevance.
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by bkbabe90(m): 11:09pm On Jul 21, 2010
rhymz:

Bbk/baby
When are U going to grow some sense for 4ck sake? Stop tempting your brain with task beyond its capacity, you keep plaguing every serious minded thread with your incredible fit of stupidity. You know na da about the Nigerian polity, may be you should just stick to the 4ckin issues plaguing your fellow amigos in the ghettos. You talk with macho buffoonery and stupidity. Your only claim to being Nigerian are the white and black streaks on your gay azz, facking ignorant Mulatto suffering from an identity problem.

And, apart from the fact that ur clearly a drug fiend, show me which part of my posts could have prompted these insults!!! Why, cus I spoke the truth? Did u notice that myself and chuqudy was having a a friendly banter before u monkeys crashed in. . . . . ?
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by chyz(m): 11:20pm On Jul 21, 2010
we need people with sense to continue this topic. guys that cant control their lips show that they get no ladies. tighten up
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by GBT(m): 11:24pm On Jul 21, 2010
Igbo governors have always amazed me with their thinking which is usually based on the never-oppose-the-person-at-the-centre principle rather than taking a chance at trying to get there by themselves.

This fact, bruv, is so clear to all to all!
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by sjeezy8: 12:14am On Jul 22, 2010
mens dept:

Except for Peter Obi, how many of those SE or even SS governors actually won their elections fair and square? Were they not all rigged in? Some of them are carpet crossers and known criminals.

As for Ohanaeze, they are toothless, visionless, and [size=15pt]contractless[/size]. Imagine someone calling himself "The National Chairman of the Political Forum of Ohanaeze". What the heck does that mean, except a craze for heavy title and relevance.

what the heck does that mean?

hahah lmfao
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by mensdept: 2:11am On Jul 22, 2010
sjeezy8:

what the heck does that mean?

hahah lmfao

Thats French for those who are looking for government contracts
Re: South-east Governors Flayed Over Presidency by ud4u: 10:58am On Jul 22, 2010
Naija, I hail Una

(1) (2) (Reply)

North Warns Jonathan Against Use Of EFCC . / Achebe Needs Cure From Awophobia – Adebanjo. Picked Holes In Achebe's Accusation / What Has Sule Lamido Really Achieved In Jigawa State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.