Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,199 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers (2909 Views)

Secondus Under Attack For Blaming Amaechi For His Arrest / Police Arrest Oshiomole's Driver / Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by supereagle(m): 6:55am On Jul 26, 2010
INSPECTOR General of Police, Ogbonna Onovo, said, weekend, that at the last count, there were about 500 kidnapping suspects in Police cells across the country with many of them having confessed to the criminal act and others caught in the act.
He also suggested the setting up of ‘Special Courts’ to try and punish kidnappers to serve as deterrent to others planning to join.
Onovo said: “As at today, we are requesting for special courts to try kidnappers, so that it will not only serve as deterrent, it will also help to decongest Police cells. Their numbers are increasing by the day and there is inadequate punishments for them except the courts come on stream.

“Cases of kidnapping should be seen as acts of terrorism for the fact that it is not only technology driven, it has been commercialized and can be used as an instrument of coercion. So it has to be fought with technology, information and with the support of everybody. It must not be a factor in 2011. Those who aid and abet it must be revealed, including their collaborators.”
The Police IG said that kidnapping apart, dangerous criminal trends like terrorism, trans-national and organized crimes in hard drugs, arms and ammunition which transcended borders and territory, were problems the police was struggling to deal with, noting that the Nigeria Police was blessed with the personnel to do the job if properly equipped.
He added: “Another area that is of great concern is the fight against corruption and we have taken this fight to far reaching levels throughout the year. We have succeeded in reducing it to the barest minimum. Cases of accidental discharge are being tackled by providing better training while there was ongoing sensitization on the need for every Nigerian to know that crime fighting is everybody’s responsibility.”

Abia police pick 4 ‘kidnappers’
Meantime, the Abia State police command has arrested four persons in connection with the abduction, two Sundays ago, of four journalists and their driver.
The chairman, of Lagos State Council of Nigeria Union of Journalists, NUJ, Mr. Wahab Oba; Secretary of the Council, Zone G, Mr. Adolphus Okonkwo; Mr. Shola Oyeyipo; Council’s Assistant Secretary, Sylva Okereke; and their driver, Mr. Azeez Abdulrauf were kidnapped in Umuafouka junction near Ukwakiri in Obingwa Local Government Council of Abia State. The journalists were released six days after.
The arrested suspects were two males and two females who were said to have been picked up in the course of police combing of the community.
Abia State commissioner of police, Mr. Jonathan Johnson, said one of the female suspects served as cook for the kidnappers, while the other was said to be the mother of one of the kidnappers who is still at large.
Meanwhile, scores of policemen and other security operatives are still besieging some communities in Obingwa council area in search of the hoodlums who kidnapped the journalists and their driver.
The pressure and tension generated by the abduction of the journalists prompted the Federal Government to give the police an order to ensure that the hoodlums were captured and the menace of kidnapping wiped out of the state and other parts of the country.
Abia State Government, on its own part had put some measures in place to help fight the menace. Governor Theodore Orji is said to have placed orders for the procurement of three more armoured personnel carriers, APC, to enable the police effectively combat kidnapping and other crimes.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/07/26/police-arrest-500-kidnappers/
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by supereagle(m): 7:08am On Jul 26, 2010
We are are too prone to commit crimes in the SE because of Money." The love of Money, "
The IG should define his" across the country" very well.
SE is notable for Crimes.
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by royalicon(m): 12:19pm On Jul 26, 2010
500 kidnappers ? OMG!
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by snowdrops(m): 12:21pm On Jul 26, 2010
Only a tip of the iceberg. For every kidnapper arrested there are 100 others unarrested.
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by sojinet(m): 12:33pm On Jul 26, 2010
What do they finally do to these kidnappers, ? We need to see how they treat scape goats so dat the rest uncut will pipe down. its so easy.aghhhhhhhh!
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by bidemi12(m): 1:14pm On Jul 26, 2010
500 ke!!! (shouting with hands on head) ye mo gbe!!!. shocked Na wa oh. Nija don turn mexico finish.
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by philip0906(m): 1:17pm On Jul 26, 2010
500 kidnappers my backside.who r they fooling? undecided undecided. . .
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by cecegorz(m): 2:28pm On Jul 26, 2010
Onovo and his never do well squad will end up parading jobless innocent citizens as Kidnappers while the real 'Nappers are enjoying their loot, planning for the next victim.

The Nigerian police are still as as clueless as a week old baby.
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by baslone: 2:30pm On Jul 26, 2010
I can bet my Life on it! shocked

50 percent of that number are innocent citizens! cry

50 percent of the remaining half were arrested for
lesser crimes/ those in different cells who unfortunately
couldn't afford money to bail out!!!  cry  cry
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by chio: 3:03pm On Jul 26, 2010
baslone:

I can bet my Life on it! shocked

50 percent of that number are innocent citizens! cry

50 percent of the remaining half were arrested for
lesser crimes/ those in different cells who unfortunately
couldn't afford money to bail out!!!  cry  cry

yes
i think i concur with u,
smiley cheesy angry shocked
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by felucci(m): 3:25pm On Jul 26, 2010
Yeah, I agree. They are mostly innocent people and the police are just arresting people at random just to maintain a good public image
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by Skirtel: 3:48pm On Jul 26, 2010
90% is likely to be innocent. We all know how they work. Go to beer parlour and other joints and arrest EVERYBODY there. On their way to station, they'll still arrest people on the road to make the number.

Put not your trust in money, but put your money in trust.  http:///c9u6Zy
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by ud4u: 4:26pm On Jul 26, 2010
500 ko 1 million ni, abeg make them leave us jare
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by afrobaby(f): 5:11pm On Jul 26, 2010
are they sure those people are kidnappers or the police arrested innocent people, they are fond of that, just to make people feel they are working really hard, they just arrest innocent people and name them anything they feel like
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by CGKing(m): 5:53pm On Jul 26, 2010
Yeah right! 500 kidnappers. You quickly swept up our streets for some area boys to release them soon after some droppings you now called them kidnappers. What are u campaiigning for?
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by Day11(m): 6:01pm On Jul 26, 2010
Can some1 help me reverse it back>>>>

005 grin Yes dat better cool
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by marketplace(m): 6:23pm On Jul 26, 2010
Where were they arrested? In a party or football house?
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by okgerald(m): 7:14pm On Jul 26, 2010
I can never believe that Nigerian police arrested real kidnappers. Am sure its area boys and street peeps that are going to drop 1000 or 2000 per head , then released. We still a very long way to go
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by Dave6: 7:41pm On Jul 26, 2010
500 Haba! Are they sure they're all kidnappers? Trust Naija Police nah!
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by oluagness(m): 8:20pm On Jul 26, 2010
These people are innocents, thieves are rubbing in day light police could not confront them, how did police managed to arrest 500 kidnappers?
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by frankcj(m): 9:10pm On Jul 26, 2010
who is deceiving who?i had that some  police are involve in the kidnapping. What the noise all about 500 kidnappers arestsed. Yesterday another kidnapping incident took place in Aba, a young man was kidnap.
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jul 26, 2010
Skirtel:

90% is likely to be innocent. We all know how they work. Go to beer parlour and other joints and arrest EVERYBODY there. On their way to station, they'll still arrest people on the road to make the number.

Put not your trust in money, but put your money in trust. http:///c9u6Zy

grin grin ;Dlike you have witnessed police raiding before ? you also risk being arrested for staying out late in front of your house.wtf undecided
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by hackney(m): 11:42pm On Jul 26, 2010
500 kidnappers.
I knew that the police will resort to extorting money from innocent citizens.
Nigeria :Devil's playground.
blood su.ckers.
tufiakwa.
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by manuch(m): 11:50pm On Jul 26, 2010
what a load of bull
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by princeonx: 4:41am On Jul 27, 2010
Exactly 500  the number no even add extra one or less one abi na about 5++ them mean?
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by shotuns: 5:44am On Jul 27, 2010
Lawless country. The Innocents suffer,
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by AjanleKoko: 8:09am On Jul 27, 2010
Skirtel:

How about 100%

The real kidnappers are probably the ones going about arresting innocents. undecided

Someone in one of the telcos was telling me about the Abia kidnappings. The call traces revealed calls back and forth between the kidnappers and some other parties in Uyo.
When the telco gave the info to the cops, they were told to 'get lost and mind their business'. Forget all that noise in the papers about GSM companies causing kidnapping. These guys are reprobates and pathological liars.

Check and see, you'll find vulcanizers, roadside mechanics,food sellers, traders etc, being paraded as 'kidnappers'.

Bas.t.ard Police angry
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by sley4life(m): 11:15am On Jul 27, 2010
9ja dont have a record base. so i disagree wit the #s. Its a ploy to show that the policemen are working, They know we wont be impressed if the public hear a meager #
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by stephedith(f): 12:19pm On Jul 27, 2010
hmmmm
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by otokx(m): 12:36pm On Jul 27, 2010
what a huge joke?
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by baslone: 2:50pm On Jul 27, 2010
Now the cops demselves are out on a kidnapping spree!!
Re: Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers by boyt1: 8:05pm On Jul 27, 2010
No one here on NL has ever comdemed the kidnappers, rather they critize the govt. and the police always. I agree that the govt may have failed, but why are the citizens too frustrated to see the realities sometimes.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Was Part Of The Group That Eliminated Abacha- Joe Igbokwe / The Music Of Mr Obasanajo A Native Of Nassarawa. Drum Is Made From Wood / Oshiomole’s Beautiful Wife Shows Him Love (see Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.