Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,437 members, 7,954,736 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:12 AM

5 Reasons Why Some Nigerians Don’t Vote - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Reasons Why Some Nigerians Don’t Vote (10216 Views)

Don’t Vote For Peter Obi, Chimaroke Nnamani Warns Enugu Indigenes / 2023: Don’t Vote For Atiku, Saraki, Peter Obi - Obasanjo Tells Nigerians / Attahiru Jega: Don’t Vote For PDP, APC Again; They Have Bad Antecedents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Why Some Nigerians Don’t Vote by Timil: 12:15pm On Nov 05, 2018
OP you've spoken well I fall into the first category.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Some Nigerians Don’t Vote by princeemmma(m): 12:17pm On Nov 05, 2018
na me you dey talk about, i know even bother go apply for voters card, the government no even know me at all, why i go come dey wahala myself #onlyGodknows
Re: 5 Reasons Why Some Nigerians Don’t Vote by Nobody: 12:26pm On Nov 05, 2018
24hoursreporter:
We are in a political period again! As usual, we tend to heard different stories and scandals. For certain reasons, some Nigerians have decided not to vote again. In fact, these people only register for their Permanent Voters Card to have a means of identification not voting purpose.

In this article, 24hoursreporter has come up with the top 5 reasons why some Nigerians don’t vote. The reasons stated here were arrived at after a survey of voters in different regions across the country.

Top 5 Reasons Why Some Nigerians Don’t Vote

#1. When Both Candidates Are Terrible

When both candidates are terrible, most voters may end up not voting any of them. They believe that it is better they don’t vote any candidate than voting for the available ones on ground, especially when they have bad records in the past.

#2. They Believe That The Election Will Always Be Rigged

One of the reasons why some Nigerians don’t vote is their belief that the election will always be rigged. Many Nigerians out there believe that their votes may not really count as the election will always be rigged by the highest bidder.

Well, this is not always true as voters votes still count. The fact that you refuse to vote for this flimsy reason may pave way for an undeserving candidate to rule you.

#3. When Their Candidates Of Choice Wasn’t Nominated

Sometimes, the result of parties primaries can make people be politically apathetic especially when their candidates of choice weren’t nominated. You must agree with me that voting in Nigeria is really very stressful especially if you are in a populated environment.

So, some people may not want to undergo the rigorous process of accreditation and voting, especially when the candidate they love so much was denied party ticket.

#4. The Fear of Violence

The fear of violence is among the reasons why some Nigerians don’t vote. Ordinarily, there are people who would have loved to vote, but the fear of violence in polling units prevent them from going out to cast their votes.

There are instances were Youth corpers and other innocent citizens are killed during elections. You see, somebody whose close friend or relative is killed in an election violence will definitely not smell a polling unit. Those who have been there before can relate.

#5. The Country Is Screwed My Vote Will Not Fix it

This is also one of the reasons why some Nigerians don’t vote. They believe that from time immemorial leaders have always been self-centered.

From unemployment, hardship, some state not paying workers and many more, they always blame these situations on leaders in the past. For this reason, they have decided not to vote again as politicians will always disappoint.

Source: http://www.24hoursreporter.com/2018/11/05/5-reasons-why-some-nigerians-dont-vote/

IGBOS don't vote in Nigerian presidential elections because they have lost interest in voting Yoruba n Awusa presidents n VPs into power every 4 years.

Peter Obi is now there so igbos will vote in record numbers in 2019. I'm expecting nothing less than 4 million votes from SE alone.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Some Nigerians Don’t Vote by Talknochip(m): 12:48pm On Nov 05, 2018
Another reason is, most elections are conducted on 'SABBATH DAYs'... A large number of Nigerians are Seven day Adventists.. And most of the elections are conducted on their day of worship (saturdays)
Re: 5 Reasons Why Some Nigerians Don’t Vote by hoodmenconcept(m): 12:51pm On Nov 05, 2018
Number 5 is my major reason why I have never vote.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Some Nigerians Don’t Vote by Gracesofar(m): 12:55pm On Nov 05, 2018
The question is DO YOUR VOTE REALLY COUNT
Re: 5 Reasons Why Some Nigerians Don’t Vote by osismog(m): 1:25pm On Nov 05, 2018
my reason is #2
Re: 5 Reasons Why Some Nigerians Don’t Vote by hahn(m): 3:21pm On Nov 05, 2018
24hoursreporter:
We are in a political period again! As usual, we tend to heard different stories and scandals. For certain reasons, some Nigerians have decided not to vote again. In fact, these people only register for their Permanent Voters Card to have a means of identification not voting purpose.

In this article, 24hoursreporter has come up with the top 5 reasons why some Nigerians don’t vote. The reasons stated here were arrived at after a survey of voters in different regions across the country.

Top 5 Reasons Why Some Nigerians Don’t Vote

#1. When Both Candidates Are Terrible

When both candidates are terrible, most voters may end up not voting any of them. They believe that it is better they don’t vote any candidate than voting for the available ones on ground, especially when they have bad records in the past.

#2. They Believe That The Election Will Always Be Rigged

One of the reasons why some Nigerians don’t vote is their belief that the election will always be rigged. Many Nigerians out there believe that their votes may not really count as the election will always be rigged by the highest bidder.

Well, this is not always true as voters votes still count. The fact that you refuse to vote for this flimsy reason may pave way for an undeserving candidate to rule you.

#3. When Their Candidates Of Choice Wasn’t Nominated

Sometimes, the result of parties primaries can make people be politically apathetic especially when their candidates of choice weren’t nominated. You must agree with me that voting in Nigeria is really very stressful especially if you are in a populated environment.

So, some people may not want to undergo the rigorous process of accreditation and voting, especially when the candidate they love so much was denied party ticket.

#4. The Fear of Violence

The fear of violence is among the reasons why some Nigerians don’t vote. Ordinarily, there are people who would have loved to vote, but the fear of violence in polling units prevent them from going out to cast their votes.

There are instances were Youth corpers and other innocent citizens are killed during elections. You see, somebody whose close friend or relative is killed in an election violence will definitely not smell a polling unit. Those who have been there before can relate.

#5. The Country Is Screwed My Vote Will Not Fix it

This is also one of the reasons why some Nigerians don’t vote. They believe that from time immemorial leaders have always been self-centered.

From unemployment, hardship, some state not paying workers and many more, they always blame these situations on leaders in the past. For this reason, they have decided not to vote again as politicians will always disappoint.

Source: http://www.24hoursreporter.com/2018/11/05/5-reasons-why-some-nigerians-dont-vote/

And how hard it is to get pvc. The procedure is simply ridiculous undecided
Re: 5 Reasons Why Some Nigerians Don’t Vote by jinka(m): 5:59pm On Nov 05, 2018
no 6. the stress of getting your voters card.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Some Nigerians Don’t Vote by rossychik(f): 6:38pm On Nov 05, 2018
on point, esp no 1 n 4
Re: 5 Reasons Why Some Nigerians Don’t Vote by okwabayi(m): 8:27pm On Nov 05, 2018
The stress associated with everything is what kills my morale.
I remember trying to get my PVC back in the day when I lived in Abuja. After three hours of standing under the hot sun in a neverending queue no one told me to use my sense and go home.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Some Nigerians Don’t Vote by Ifiokumo: 8:31pm On Nov 05, 2018
The OP makes sense....it hopefully will not be some come 2019, BUT MOST because your vote will not save the Nigga Area

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians To Enjoy Seamless Passport Processing Soon - Tunji-ojo / Governor Dickson To Return To Legal Practices After Handing Over / 2023: Northern, Southern PDP Stakeholders Dig In For Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.