Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,220 members, 7,825,834 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

How To Survive Being Broke. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Survive Being Broke. (631 Views)

When A Man Has To Survive, He Does Anything / I am contemplating Suicide. Please I Need A Job To Survive Next Year!!! / Married People With Children Earning Below 30k, How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Survive Being Broke. by kelvine(m): 3:48pm On Nov 05, 2018
Too many people have the same problem, they do not seem to have enough money to do whatever they desire. They blame the economy, their family background and education. Much as these have great influence on us all being broke has no direct relationship with these if financial intelligence is acquired and practiced.

Status and experience notwithstanding, any one can be in that state where he is described as broke. Being broke in this contest refers to a temporal state where an individual has almost nothing or insufficient funds to perform basic transaction for his survival or comfort. While a few persons dwell in this state for a short period, many others are boxed in for too long. Being broke for too long simply makes you poor.

Stick around with me as I take you through certain steps I found useful while I was boxed into this state of chronic financial insufficiency. Read to the end if you are presently broke and you do get some ideas. There was a period in my life (not too long ago) when being broke was a culture and I practically almost got overwhelmed. To bounce of imminent despair I got into a few undertakings as highlighted below:

Sell used clothes, old books, plastics, electronics etc.
There may be too many items in your closest lying there without use. Talk to dealers of such and you do get some change to stay on. If you are unsure of where to get these dealers check with me in the comment box below. When you eventually get cash for this, do business with half of what you get. No matter how little the funds with you, there is a business you can do with it.
2. Take up a casual job

When people say there are no jobs available, what they mean is that the kind of jobs they seek is not available to them but there are far too numerous opportunities for tasks or short time undertakings they can indulge in to get some help. Suspend your ego and get along with people who will link you up with a short time task where you get something for yourself. By taking up a casual job you make new friends who will likely value your decision and point you in the direction of an opportunity commensurate with your standard of living and qualification. Making friends and staying with good old friends in of high importance in a time like this.

3. Be humble and ask for help.

Did I hear you say this is begging, somehow that’s an option to consider. Oh yes brother, your stomach will leave you stranded if you do not attend to it. A little help from here and there from friends and family will get you above water. Consider this a good opportunity to identify friends and foes. The initial response you get either verbal or non-verbal is indicative of how valuable you are. More often than not, a sincere friend will politely turn down your request while a scorner will always scorn. Let me share the method I used, I avoided requesting large sum of money. I told my story and gave my proposed benefactor the luxury of choosing how much they were willing to help with. The major thing a creditor will consider before listening to you is your relationship with him and the amount you are requesting relative to how much he is willing to part with.

4. Door to door Affiliate.

Affiliate marketing has gotten so much recognition in recent time with the advent of digital marketing. This form of marketing can also thrive in the offline environment. When you are broke, walk around your neighborhood and seek customers for shop owners. Being broke empowered me with boldness to approach managers of different shops and I got some change each time I helped them make a sale by referral. You need to make friends with market women, they usually have ideas for broke people. If you find no one to sell for, look around your street and identify dirty cars, tell owner you can wash them at a fee, trust me this always works.

5. Sell your Phone and get a cheaper one.

I was wondering if I should include this on the list but, why not ? That is one of the things I did to get myself a bailout fund when the fangs of hunger demonstrated the continuous need to assault me privately and publicly. What is the use of luxury in the midst of obvious misery. There is always a phone for every budget, do a downgrade to raise some capital for a business. One of the first things a stranger will look at is your phone. If your phone is bigger than the person you are seeking help from, he will only mock you. Get a cheap phone with good battery half life and continue job or business search by registering missed calls in the phones of your prospective employers

6. Attend Parties even if not invited.

Did you laugh at this ? Being broke is in itself a laughable situation, take a good shower and get clean clothes and identify with places where you can get a good meal for the day. A good meal brings fresh ideas and energy to stay in hope. You may be fortunate to sit beside someone who will listen to your story and help out with a job or business. One of the worst things you can do for your self while being broke is to sit at home expecting your phone to ring and an angel says ”my son food is on the table, arise and eat” Be social, smile more, be friendly to security men.

7. Volunteering and Gate crashing.

If after applying in several places for a job, you keep getting the default response of ”we will get back to you” dust yourself and offer to work for free. In all sincerity, employers know that no worker willingly works for free so they will have you around with their eyes on you. If they find you adding value, they will consider assisting you. This is one of the cheapest baits smart unemployed youths utilize to get a job. A second option is to attend interviews without being invited, you might just be what they need in that organisation.

8. Make Quick Adjustment

Things have changed, so be quick to understand that. You will quickly have to make adjustment to your budget to accommodate your current status or economic strength. Spend less and manage the little you have. No material is fake until you accept it as fake, see cheaper materials as alternatives. Have it in mind that it is only a transient period.

9. Get Prayerful and committed in places of worship.

I presume I don’t have much explanation to do here besides emphasizing that for some persons being broke may be spiritually connected.

Help can be sort from religious leaders and worshipers.

Please if you have experiences with being broke, share in comments below.

Source https://digitalbedone.com/how-to-survive-being-broke/

(1) (Reply)

Apply For These New Jobs (12 Positions) / Society For Family Health Invite Urgent. / Tellers Needed Via Adeeva Microfinance Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.