Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,700 members, 7,820,444 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:59 PM

Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? (48484 Views)

Francis Nwaze: Dave Umahi Has Not Stepped Down / New Minimum Wage: FG Announces Decision On Workers’ Salary / New Minimum Wage Begins Before End Of Sept ―FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Wisdomkosi(m): 11:22am On Nov 08, 2018
By Wisdom Nwedene

Since the issue of new minimum wage by Nigerian Labour Congress emerged, I have discovered that my dear Governor, David Nweze Umahi has been crying that he can't pay workers the meagre 30, 000 naira.

While other governors are ready to pay workers more than 30k, my dear Governor is crying.

According to him, “The federal government collects 52 per cent of the revenue from the federation account and when I tried to put the N30,000 figure to Local Government Areas (LGA) it means they will borrow N1billion to add to their allocation, in paying salaries.

“I will definitely not be a governor to govern such a state and will never preside over a state that will allocate 100 per cent of its earnings to pay salaries,” he said.

Umahi from his statement has even threatened to resign just because of salary.

I'm ashamed that "the talk and do' governor" can't pay workers 30k.

Umahi’s attitude towards the issue of new minimum wage has finally exposed him. It has proven to the world that workers are poorly paid in Ebonyi State.

According to report, workers salary in the State have been slashed since Umahi emerged as Governor of Ebonyi State.

Ask workers in Ebonyi State, you will be shocked to hear the amount of money Umahi pays them monthly.

Umahi has hundreds of Technical advisers, Special Advisers, bought cars for Chiefs, take millions of naira every month in the name of security votes, feeding allowance, clothing allowance, etc but only 30k will cause inflation? I'm ashamed to see Umahi crying because of 30k minimum wage.

Let me share on how the country can pay minimum wage comfortably as seen online,

1. Abolish SECURITY VOTE in NIGERIA. Nigeria will pay N45,000 minimum wage comfortably.

2. a) Abolish CONSTITUENCY PROJECT FUNDS
b) Reduce no of ADVISERS to SENATE PRES(2), HOUSE SPEAKER(2), GOVs(4), PRESIDENT(5), VP(2)
c) Reduce current ALL Political Office Holders PAY CHEQUES by 51.5%, without exception
d) Do away with special remuneration to POLITICAL ADVISERS & PUBLIC SERVANTS eg; Purchase of Private Vehicles, Houses, granting Govt paid Vacations, paying for 1st & Business Class Transportations, etc, etc...
e) Abolish payment of OVERSEAS MEDICAL BILLS for Political Office Holders
f) Eliminate PRIVATE PRACTICE in public workforce
g) Eliminate participation of Public Workforce in Partisan Politics
h) Institute EMPLOYMENT BY MERIT, and eliminate UNDEREMPLOYMENT
i) Review and eliminate allocation of Govt paid POLITICAL AIDES & SUPPORT STAFF to Political Office Holders.

I strongly believe with the initiative shared above and my advice to Umahi is to calm down and stop crying over the new minimum wage, he can even pay more than 30k if he manages the resources in Ebonyi state judiciously .

191 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Pat081: 11:26am On Nov 08, 2018
U re right but do u think dos thief will take dat?

18 Likes

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Igboblog: 11:27am On Nov 08, 2018
Hmmmmmmm, Umahi is shocking every person with his statement these days. grin cheesy I hope he is sound

43 Likes

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by hisgrace090: 11:30am On Nov 08, 2018
Black leader to reduce his ego due to workers welfair, you"re dreaming.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Fazemood(m): 11:30am On Nov 08, 2018
You say you can't pay N30,000 yet you keep a dog who feeds on N30000 in a month.

Hypocrite thou art...
Judas is thy name...

21 Likes

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Igboblog: 11:34am On Nov 08, 2018
Umahi no well at all. Come 2019, he will be going back to his village.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Nov 08, 2018
His shoe is too small
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Vicboi1(m): 1:29pm On Nov 08, 2018
If your complaining what would you now say about imo state current condition

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by gare(f): 1:58pm On Nov 08, 2018
Igboblog:
Hmmmmmmm, Umahi is shocking every person with his statement these days. grin cheesy I hope he is sound

When he is frolicking with APC while would he not sound like them

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by silverbirdng(f): 2:05pm On Nov 08, 2018
Lalasticala
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by budaatum: 2:38pm On Nov 08, 2018

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by GSA01: 2:42pm On Nov 08, 2018
Wanted to just read and pass, but this two-pointers below is a fact that Labour union should be going on strike for-

Abolish SECURITY VOTE in NIGERIA

Abolish CONSTITUENCY PROJECT FUNDS

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Wisdomkosi(m): 2:58pm On Nov 08, 2018
Cc Lalasticlala
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Bossontop(m): 3:47pm On Nov 08, 2018
undecided
With this your mentality Hope you are not thinking of contesting elections next year??
Ode!!

4 Likes

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by EternalTruths: 4:02pm On Nov 08, 2018
Most governors lack common sense on how to increase revenue in order to pay better wages.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by AZeD1(m): 4:16pm On Nov 08, 2018
Dave Umahi is right. It's sad but its the truth. Nigeria is neither a productive country nor a rich country and every year we keep digging the grave of the country further.

The last budget of the country has us spending about 75% of the budget on recurrent and just 25% on capital expenditure. A certain percentage of the budget (40% is my guess) is being funded by borrowing. An increase from 18k to 30k is a 67% increment.
So the country is about to increase recurrent expenditure by 67% without an increase in productivity? If we continue down this route, by 2021/2022, our entire budget would be funded by borrowing and it would be used just to pay salaries till we can't borrow again.

Hope is not a strategy.

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Kingv(m): 4:43pm On Nov 08, 2018
Olait
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Almaiga: 4:44pm On Nov 08, 2018
Any Governor that can not afford to pay the 30k minimum wage, is not fit to be a Governor. They pay themselves hundreds of millions and they pay their cronies millions monthly. But they claim that, 30k is to much for their State workers.

10 Likes

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by trumppotus: 4:45pm On Nov 08, 2018
OK,I will tell Americans
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by gadada97: 4:45pm On Nov 08, 2018
grin

all the 5 south east states is equal to the population of lagos. if we merge all the 5 south east states to one state, he will not cry.. if you split lagos to 5... lagos too will cry.

1 Like

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by grandstar(m): 4:46pm On Nov 08, 2018
He who wear the shoe knows where it pinches.

Do you know many states are owing workers many months salaries? Have you ever wondered why?

This problem started in 2014 when oil prices crashed and within a year, the monthly allocation was slashed by half. This was not even enough to pay salaries how much other government duties. States began owing salaries.

The sensible thing to have done would have been to slash the size of the bloated civil service in each state and at the federal level also.

The states were terrified downsizing the labour force for fear of losing elections. Akande, the first governor of Osun in 1999 sacked 3,000 unqualified teachers and voters promptly relieved him of his job.

I dont know who is fooling who? The FG that is borrowing money to pay workers or the NLC that is fully aware many states can barely pay their workers and now demanding an increase?

Most states will simply not pay workers worsening the issue of unpaid workers.

What we now have on ground reminds me of the old communist joke, "We pretend to work, they pretend to pay us"

Things will only worsen

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by TRUSTEDGUY: 4:47pm On Nov 08, 2018
They must pay minimum wage

1 Like

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by iammo(m): 4:47pm On Nov 08, 2018
How productive are our civil servants?
We have ministry of works yet rely on Chinese contractors,
Ministry of darkness with more than 2000 staffs nationwide that can't even generate 3500 megawatt of electricity yet earn money monthly,

We have lawma yet PSP and vision scape handles Lagos waste, NNPC proudly import fuel through private contractors yet get full salary.

For a country (200m people) that solely rely on 2.3 million barrels of crude oil per day while Saudi produces 10.3 million barrel per day with a population of 32 million people.

We need to start finding ways of reducing cost of living as opposed to salary increase(cheap mass transport, agricultural subsidy, cheap mass housing, birth control according to income).

I pity jobless people supporting labour or the government, even when the civil servants and the politician plan a budget to rape the rest of us citizens codedly. Why can't labour stage strike to protest corruption? Huge cost of governance or padi to padi qouta system of employment recruitment.

We will continue to borrow or sell national assets to fund less than 100000 politician and civil servants salary/life pensions and allowance

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by omokiri5(m): 4:48pm On Nov 08, 2018
hmm.
Pls Nairalanders, I'm a graduate that needs help to get a keke maruwa to ride. Kindly check details on my signature. Thank you
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Femich18(m): 4:49pm On Nov 08, 2018
wicked leaders. I just don't know how come we Nigerians came across all these kind of selfish and wicked leaders...Is it that we are just too gullible or it is the level of Poverty that is affecting our sense of reasoning? We all need to vote all these people out next year staring from that one in Aso Rock. They are just taking us for a fool
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Nov 08, 2018
Umahi wanted to beat the reach but forgot so easily that things don't work that way.

He wanted to put ebonyi in limelight and now the hammer is falling on his head.

I wonder where he source or find the resources to pay even as am aware ebonyi state workers salaries is nothing of joy to the workers.

He made a wrong move.

1 Like

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Temple1288(m): 4:51pm On Nov 08, 2018
$80 is what Governors in Nigeria are shouting they can't pay. Meanwhile they have dogs that consume more than $100 weekly. Ndi Isi Oji ajoka!
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Nwogeh: 4:52pm On Nov 08, 2018
Although I am not holding brief for Dave Umahi, but Ebonyi may not truly have the capacity to pay that amount presently considering their IGR and the Federation allocation to them. However, it is a matter of doubling his effort instead of complaining, after all Ebonyi state has enormous potentials that can generate good money. So our Leaders should stop being lazy and look for ways to improve the system instead of depending on already made food from Abuja.

3 Likes

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Hisxellency: 4:52pm On Nov 08, 2018
Umahi... Best south east performing Governor, He is just joking with this new minimum wage of a thing
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Princedapace(m): 4:52pm On Nov 08, 2018
Pls Nigeria needs to take startups seriously..

Nigeria must find a way to be producing country.. We consume too much and we import almost all we use on daily bases..

This country may collapse.. And cost of maintaining these criminals in power is too high..

Any ways, if u are interested in learning how to earn money online, kindly check out my profile and read my thread on how I make money online.

Freelancing is growing all over the world. It remains one of the best ways to earn side or full time income. To do well as a freelancer, u must learn competitive skill, learn to brand your self, package your brand and send out compelling proposals..
Well, I can teach u all these if u are interested.. Check my profile and read my thread on freelancing..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

This Campaign Advert Was Done In 1993 By MKO ABIOLA - Throwback Video / Jubilation In Anambra As Atiku Picks Obi As Running Mate / Exorbitant Estimated Electricity Billings! Post Your March Bills Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.