Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,840 members, 7,810,236 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:22 AM

Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? (48477 Views)

Francis Nwaze: Dave Umahi Has Not Stepped Down / New Minimum Wage: FG Announces Decision On Workers’ Salary / New Minimum Wage Begins Before End Of Sept ―FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by grandstar(m): 9:25pm On Nov 08, 2018
JBmarz:

If u only know the number of funds d state governments have received from 2014 till now u won't reason this way. What happened to the bailout fund that was given to them by FG from the federation account to offset salary arrears, we r not even talking about the funds received from the Paris club. What about their IGR or these Governors wanna tell us they dont generate revenue internally Let's leave d allocation from d federation account 1st. Let us see how many of them would come out on national television and tell the masses they won't pay the minimum wage wen it becomes a law. There and then u would see how these states funds r being misappropriated

These subventions you speak about does not in anyway makeup for the steep reduction in the monthly allocations they receive from the FG

Too much money is wasted on recurrent expenditure on very unproductive and bloated civil service

The civil service needs to be mean and lean and very efficient. If that was the case salaries could even be 45000 and no one will bat an eyelid

In Singapore civil servants earn more than their counterparts in the private sector but have to be super productive. The government there wants a super productive civil service that is also incorruptible so pays high as well

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by holysaint1(m): 9:26pm On Nov 08, 2018
Temple1288:
$80 is what Governors in Nigeria are shouting they can't pay. Meanwhile they have dogs that consume more than $100 weekly. Ndi Isi Oji ajoka!

most people dont understand the workings of the economy. Yet they waste no time in commenting on what they know little about...

I just went to pump a car tyre today and the vulcanizer proudly and confidently told me that its now 200. On inquiry, they told me that everything has added money so they too needed to add theirs.

And thats how every private individual or company will add up their price too cos when they dont have money to pay their current workers, its either they relieve them of their duties or prop up the price of their goods to meet up with the current wage rate. (Sticky wage)...

My worry is that we have very proficient economists in this country, but rarely call on any of them for economic advice. One of the reason why i love Obama administration..
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by higgs: 9:27pm On Nov 08, 2018
Wisdom Nwedene,whoever You are,God bless You.You actually took your time to analyze the whole thing.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Nov 08, 2018
devil is not happy.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Mooreleak247: 9:39pm On Nov 08, 2018
Truly because of the fall in price of crude oil in international market, the federal allocation to states were slashed and that automatically affects the states which don't generate enough IGR. But my point is this, it only affects the token received by the state workers. Why didn't it affect the salaries of the governors and other top political office holders because after all, they were the ones enjoying the allocations during the boom. Most of this leaders just don't deserve to be here on this planet at all. They are just too wicked. We are talking of a minimum wage that is not even up to 50cent per hour when in America they are working towards achieving a $15 per hour minimum wage. I sha know say God go turn to us in Nigeria one day

1 Like

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by JBmarz(m): 10:24pm On Nov 08, 2018
grandstar:

These subventions you speak about does not in anyway makeup for the steep reduction in the monthly allocations they receive from the FG

Too much money is wasted on recurrent expenditure on very unproductive and bloated civil service

The civil service needs to be mean and lean and very efficient. If that was the case salaries could even be 45000 and no one will bat an eyelid

In Singapore civil servants earn more than their counterparts in the private sector but have to be super productive. The government there wants a super productive civil service that is also incorruptible so pays high as well

I do agree with u on the excesses of govt spending. I believe we are all aware that before an expenditure is been made within the govt parastatals, it must have been budgeted for. The salaries of workers have already been put into consideration before presenting their final budgets which will definitely show a surplus at d end of d year. Question is... Why is it that wen we talk about an increase in d wages of workers, it seems like d economy will crumble. But wen other expenditures in d budget are exceeds way over what its supposed to b, everyone keeps mute nd its been blammed on the phrase "corruption". Mind u some states r currently paying within 25 to 30k before the minimum wage issue came about.

1 Like

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by grandstar(m): 10:51pm On Nov 08, 2018
JBmarz:

I do agree with u on the excesses of govt spending. I believe we are all aware that before an expenditure is been made within the govt parastatals, it must have been budgeted for. The salaries of workers have already been put into consideration before presenting their final budgets which will definitely show a surplus at d end of d year. Question is... Why is it that wen we talk about an increase in d wages of workers, it seems like d economy will crumble. But wen other expenditures in d budget are exceeds way over what its supposed to b, everyone keeps mute nd its been blammed on the phrase "corruption". Mind u some states r currently paying within 25 to 30k before the minimum wage issue came about.

We need to realise that workers wages has a disproportional effect on the budget because it is labour intensive

The budget for both the senate and house of reps in 2017 was around 70billion whereas the monthly wage bill of government workers was 165billion monthly or 2 trillion yearly

Assuming the the 2 houses decide to double their budget, the amount will rise by only 70billion

On the other hand the 67% rise in workers wages recently agreed upon will increase government spending by a whooping 1.34 trillion yearly

That is a differential of about 1,900%!

If Buhari had introduced austerity measures and slashed the bloated workforce by 50% this wage increase would have been affordable

Government was already borrowing money to pay the former salaries, will now borrow an extra 1.34trillion! Already debt servicing is already consuming about 40% of the budget

Populist Buhari is heading the economy towards the cliff!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Asiri1991: 11:08pm On Nov 08, 2018
AZeD1:
Dave Umahi is right. It's sad but its the truth. Nigeria is neither a productive country nor a rich country and every year we keep digging the grave of the country further.

The last budget of the country has us spending about 75% of the budget on recurrent and just 25% on capital expenditure. A certain percentage of the budget (40% is my guess) is being funded by borrowing. An increase from 18k to 30k is a 67% increment.
So the country is about to increase recurrent expenditure by 67% without an increase in productivity? If we continue down this route, by 2021/2022, our entire budget would be funded by borrowing and it would be used just to pay salaries till we can't borrow again.

God bless you. Besides, I'm a native of the young state - Ebonyi and I know that we need to do more than just paying salaries. Many will criticise me opining that I typed senselessly because I'm not a worker. My father and other members of the family are civil servants.

Hope is not a strategy.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by JBmarz(m): 11:26pm On Nov 08, 2018
grandstar:

We need to realise that workers wages has a disproportional effect on the budget because it is labour intensive

The budget for both the senate and house of reps in 2017 was around 70billion whereas the monthly wage bill of government workers was 165billion monthly or 2 trillion yearly

Assuming the the 2 houses decide to double their budget, the amount will rise by only 70billion

On the other hand the 67% rise in workers wages recently agreed upon will increase government spending by a whooping 1.34 trillion yearly

That is a differential of about 1,900%!

If Buhari had introduced austerity measures and slashed the bloated workforce by 50% this wage increase would have been affordable

Government was already borrowing money to pay the former salaries, will now borrow an extra 1.34trillion! Already debt servicing is already consuming about 40% of the budget

Populist Buhari is heading the economy towards the cliff!

Ur figures r sound nd ur argument is concrete but there r measures that can be put in place to curtail that huge percentage increase.

Kindly compare the value of 18k as at 2011 to the dollar and the value of 18k as at 2018 to the dollar...

All labour is saying is pay us the value of 18k as at 2011 now.

All other things have increased proportionately overtime except for d wages of workers.

Mind u the Govt already have obligations to pay its current debts within a long time frame, meaning we have been borrowing from A to pay B since the inception of democracy. That trend is never ending anytime soon.

Yes I do agree we shouldn't incure more debts but I dont see that hapenning wen we have buhari and atiku contesting for 2019 elections. They both will still sha borrow to finance the budget next year.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by 11BYTE: 11:35pm On Nov 08, 2018
Umahi Is not a serious man, even if workers are paid #30000 a month it won't affect the economy if the leaders restructure their ways of doing things. The problem with Nigeria is there we waste resources a lot including cash.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by 11BYTE: 11:39pm On Nov 08, 2018
holysaint1:

most people dont understand the workings of the economy. Yet they waste no time in commenting on what they know little about...

I just went to pump a car tyre today and the vulcanizer proudly and confidently told me that its now 200. On inquiry, they told me that everything has added money so they too needed to add theirs.

And thats how every private individual or company will add up their price too cos when they dont have money to pay their current workers, its either they relieve them of their duties or prop up the price of their goods to meet up with the current wage rate. (Sticky wage)...

My worry is that we have very proficient economists in this country, but rarely call on any of them for economic advice. One of the reason why i love Obama administration..
He is right to increase the prize of working the tyre, cos if everything is rising, including the prize to fuel the machine and the cost of feeding his family has increased.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by ninetiethcrown7(m): 11:43pm On Nov 08, 2018
AZeD1:

You are a special kind of dull person. From your analogy, the farmer produced an apple before he got paid, he wasn't given the money first in the hope that he would produce something.

Money isn't made from air, so for the government to increase salary, it first has to source the money from somewhere. Now a smart person would know that the last budget was partly funded by loans and any increase to the budget without an increase in productivity means an increase in borrowing which comes with its own costs.

At 18k, close to 25 out of 36 states couldn't pay salaries what do you think would happen to states that can't pay the 18k when it becomes 30k?

Hope you know the federal government spends about 240billion (670million USD) naira on security votes which are completely unaccounted for. There's money but corruption reigns SUPREME!

There is quite a large sum of unaccounted transactions that go on behind our noses, and until those transactions become transparent will you really know how much money there is in this country.

My thoughts, no insult.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by joshuanok90: 11:56pm On Nov 08, 2018
Govt can't be run without her citizens and they have to be paid adequately. The government is doing well when her citizens are performing well and it is with money, that they can get equipped to become productive.
No Nigerian is lazy
So pay workers the agreed #30,000 vminimum wage
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by don89(m): 1:28am On Nov 09, 2018
He has even borrowed too much loan and it will be difficult to service the loan .
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by ajl: 1:55am On Nov 09, 2018
Wisdomkosi:
By Wisdom Nwedene

Since the issue of new minimum wage by Nigerian Labour Congress emerged, I have discovered that my dear Governor, David Nweze Umahi has been crying that he can't pay workers the meagre 30, 000 naira.

While other governors are ready to pay workers more than 30k, my dear Governor is crying.

According to him, “The federal government collects 52 per cent of the revenue from the federation account and when I tried to put the N30,000 figure to Local Government Areas (LGA) it means they will borrow N1billion to add to their allocation, in paying salaries.

“I will definitely not be a governor to govern such a state and will never preside over a state that will allocate 100 per cent of its earnings to pay salaries,” he said.

Umahi from his statement has even threatened to resign just because of salary.

I'm ashamed that "the talk and do' governor" can't pay workers 30k.

Umahi’s attitude towards the issue of new minimum wage has finally exposed him. It has proven to the world that workers are poorly paid in Ebonyi State.

According to report, workers salary in the State have been slashed since Umahi emerged as Governor of Ebonyi State.

Ask workers in Ebonyi State, you will be shocked to hear the amount of money Umahi pays them monthly.

Umahi has hundreds of Technical advisers, Special Advisers, bought cars for Chiefs, take millions of naira every month in the name of security votes, feeding allowance, clothing allowance, etc but only 30k will cause inflation? I'm ashamed to see Umahi crying because of 30k minimum wage.

Let me share on how the country can pay minimum wage comfortably as seen online,

1. Abolish SECURITY VOTE in NIGERIA. Nigeria will pay N45,000 minimum wage comfortably.

2. a) Abolish CONSTITUENCY PROJECT FUNDS
b) Reduce no of ADVISERS to SENATE PRES(2), HOUSE SPEAKER(2), GOVs(4), PRESIDENT(5), VP(2)
c) Reduce current ALL Political Office Holders PAY CHEQUES by 51.5%, without exception
d) Do away with special remuneration to POLITICAL ADVISERS & PUBLIC SERVANTS eg; Purchase of Private Vehicles, Houses, granting Govt paid Vacations, paying for 1st & Business Class Transportations, etc, etc...
e) Abolish payment of OVERSEAS MEDICAL BILLS for Political Office Holders
f) Eliminate PRIVATE PRACTICE in public workforce
g) Eliminate participation of Public Workforce in Partisan Politics
h) Institute EMPLOYMENT BY MERIT, and eliminate UNDEREMPLOYMENT
i) Review and eliminate allocation of Govt paid POLITICAL AIDES & SUPPORT STAFF to Political Office Holders.

I strongly believe with the initiative shared above and my advice to Umahi is to calm down and stop crying over the new minimum wage, he can even pay more than 30k if he manages the resources in Ebonyi state judiciously .

Sowore's African Action Congress has done all these estimation based on blocking all leakage in the system before arriving at N100k minimum wage. Good job though.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by lonelydora: 3:52am On Nov 09, 2018
Igboblog:
Hmmmmmmm, Umahi is shocking every person with his statement these days. grin cheesy I hope he is sound

I have every reason to believe he is not
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Okey2010: 4:34am On Nov 09, 2018
Cockroach governors
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by naijajobx: 4:36am On Nov 09, 2018
smiley
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Cantonese: 4:41am On Nov 09, 2018
Wisdomkosi:
By Wisdom Nwedene

Since the issue of new minimum wage by Nigerian Labour Congress emerged, I have discovered that my dear Governor, David Nweze Umahi has been crying that he can't pay workers the meagre 30, 000 naira.

While other governors are ready to pay workers more than 30k, my dear Governor is crying.

According to him, “The federal government collects 52 per cent of the revenue from the federation account and when I tried to put the N30,000 figure to Local Government Areas (LGA) it means they will borrow N1billion to add to their allocation, in paying salaries.

“I will definitely not be a governor to govern such a state and will never preside over a state that will allocate 100 per cent of its earnings to pay salaries,” he said.

Umahi from his statement has even threatened to resign just because of salary.

I'm ashamed that "the talk and do' governor" can't pay workers 30k.

Umahi’s attitude towards the issue of new minimum wage has finally exposed him. It has proven to the world that workers are poorly paid in Ebonyi State.

According to report, workers salary in the State have been slashed since Umahi emerged as Governor of Ebonyi State.

Ask workers in Ebonyi State, you will be shocked to hear the amount of money Umahi pays them monthly.

Umahi has hundreds of Technical advisers, Special Advisers, bought cars for Chiefs, take millions of naira every month in the name of security votes, feeding allowance, clothing allowance, etc but only 30k will cause inflation? I'm ashamed to see Umahi crying because of 30k minimum wage.

Let me share on how the country can pay minimum wage comfortably as seen online,

1. Abolish SECURITY VOTE in NIGERIA. Nigeria will pay N45,000 minimum wage comfortably.

2. a) Abolish CONSTITUENCY PROJECT FUNDS
b) Reduce no of ADVISERS to SENATE PRES(2), HOUSE SPEAKER(2), GOVs(4), PRESIDENT(5), VP(2)
c) Reduce current ALL Political Office Holders PAY CHEQUES by 51.5%, without exception
d) Do away with special remuneration to POLITICAL ADVISERS & PUBLIC SERVANTS eg; Purchase of Private Vehicles, Houses, granting Govt paid Vacations, paying for 1st & Business Class Transportations, etc, etc...
e) Abolish payment of OVERSEAS MEDICAL BILLS for Political Office Holders
f) Eliminate PRIVATE PRACTICE in public workforce
g) Eliminate participation of Public Workforce in Partisan Politics
h) Institute EMPLOYMENT BY MERIT, and eliminate UNDEREMPLOYMENT
i) Review and eliminate allocation of Govt paid POLITICAL AIDES & SUPPORT STAFF to Political Office Holders.

I strongly believe with the initiative shared above and my advice to Umahi is to calm down and stop crying over the new minimum wage, he can even pay more than 30k if he manages the resources in Ebonyi state judiciously .

The wrong people hold sensitive positions in this country. We have professional politicians as ministers, technical directors, local government chairmen, etc. All they know is embezzelment. Take them all off and allow professionals to get into those political positions. Nigeria will move forward rapidly.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Bomgirl(f): 6:18am On Nov 09, 2018
My neighbor is a level 12 staff in Ebonyi. Her salary is less than 55k. I am not lying. angry
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Kaymaxi2222(m): 6:22am On Nov 09, 2018
grandstar:

You are a leftist fantasist so you'll not understand a word I just wrote.

Enlightened voters in the US for instance would snigger when a government promises to cut taxes and increase spending and still balance the budget. How is that possible?

For you to think I don't understand the shit you are saying baffles me....... The case you cited as an example is the issue with me those workers that were dismissed in the year 2000 in Osun are just a victim of Nigeria problems of bad leaders.
As a matter of fact the services of those workers that were dismissed was highly needed in the state whereas the numerous number of special advisors and commissioners that were in his cabinet is unnecessary, Single salary of just one of this people can pay hundreds of workers so what exactly are you praising in the act
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by holysaint1(m): 8:47am On Nov 09, 2018
11BYTE:

He is right to increase the prize of working the tyre, cos if everything is rising, including the prize to fuel the machine and the cost of feeding his family has increased.

you missing the point.

Without much epistle, what am trying to explain is that the approach by the nlc is wrong. They are aggitating for the wrong purpose.

Mind you.. Am not on the side of Umahi neither am i on the side of any body.. All am trying to say is, if the fed govt keeps increasing min wage and its citizens keep increasing the cost of living (acting on the principles of a free market economy)... then who is really benefitting from the increase and how long can we keep up with the increase before we reach our saturation point (if there's any)

If the govt are myopic to the fact that their remunerations is way too exhorbitant, then its the job of the nlc (after due consultations from economic specialists) to call the fed to order owing to its long run negative effects on the labourers.

In sum, the approach is the issue.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by 7lives: 9:15am On Nov 09, 2018
GSA01:
Wanted to just read and pass, but this two-pointers below is a fact that Labour union should be going on strike for-

Abolish SECURITY VOTE in NIGERIA

Abolish CONSTITUENCY PROJECT FUNDS

You just made my day.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by 7lives: 9:21am On Nov 09, 2018
iammo:
How productive are our civil servants?
We have ministry of works yet rely on Chinese contractors,
Ministry of darkness with more than 2000 staffs nationwide that can't even generate 3500 megawatt of electricity yet earn money monthly,

We have lawma yet PSP and vision scape handles Lagos waste, NNPC proudly import fuel through private contractors yet get full salary.

For a country (200m people) that solely rely on 2.3 million barrels of crude oil per day while Saudi produces 10.3 million barrel per day with a population of 32 million people.

We need to start finding ways of reducing cost of living as opposed to salary increase(cheap mass transport, agricultural subsidy, cheap mass housing, birth control according to income).

I pity jobless people supporting labour or the government, even when the civil servants and the politician plan a budget to rape the rest of us citizens codedly. Why can't labour stage strike to protest corruption? Huge cost of governance or padi to padi qouta system of employment recruitment.

We will continue to borrow or sell national assets to fund less than 100000 politician and civil servants salary/life pensions and allowance

Thanks God bless you, when I heard civil servants, except the revenue and health department, the rest are outdated, idle, and redundant capacities.

1 Like

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Nobody: 8:31am On Nov 10, 2018
Cantonese:

The wrong people hold sensitive positions in this country. We have professional politicians as ministers, technical directors, local government chairmen, etc. All they know is embezzelment. Take them all off and allow professionals to get into those political positions. Nigeria will move forward rapidly.

The so-called 'professionals" are even bigger thieves than the career politicians, and they're just as clueless and incompetent. Examples are too numerous. Parading useless certifications and qualifications all over the place, and speaking useless English with phoney accents... . But they simply can't get things done the right way.

Nigeria's problems are unsolvable in this generation.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Nobody: 8:37am On Nov 10, 2018
Bomgirl:
My neighbor is a level 12 staff in Ebonyi. Her salary is less than 55k. I am not lying. angry

Even at that, I'm sure she's leeching the system, because the real value of her total monthly productivity and output as a worker is likely less than zero. This sense of entitlement is annoying.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by 11BYTE: 1:39pm On Dec 05, 2018
holysaint1:

you missing the point.

Without much epistle, what am trying to explain is that the approach by the nlc is wrong. They are aggitating for the wrong purpose.

Mind you.. Am not on the side of Umahi neither am i on the side of any body.. All am trying to say is, if the fed govt keeps increasing min wage and its citizens keep increasing the cost of living (acting on the principles of a free market economy)... then who is really benefitting from the increase and how long can we keep up with the increase before we reach our saturation point (if there's any)

If the govt are myopic to the fact that their remunerations is way too exhorbitant, then its the job of the nlc (after due consultations from economic specialists) to call the fed to order owing to its long run negative effects on the labourers.

In sum, the approach is the issue.
Yes the approach is indeed the issue.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija / Dapchi Girls: Air Force Jets Searching For Missing Students (Photos) / Buhari Commissions Air Force Drone Jonathan ‘Earlier Launched’ - PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.