Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:08 PM

Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? (48485 Views)

Francis Nwaze: Dave Umahi Has Not Stepped Down / New Minimum Wage: FG Announces Decision On Workers’ Salary / New Minimum Wage Begins Before End Of Sept ―FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by osazeeblue01: 4:54pm On Nov 08, 2018
Wisdomkosi:
By Wisdom Nwedene

Since the issue of new minimum wage by Nigerian Labour Congress emerged, I have discovered that my dear Governor, David Nweze Umahi has been crying that he can't pay workers the meagre 30, 000 naira.

While other governors are ready to pay workers more than 30k, my dear Governor is crying.

According to him, “The federal government collects 52 per cent of the revenue from the federation account and when I tried to put the N30,000 figure to Local Government Areas (LGA) it means they will borrow N1billion to add to their allocation, in paying salaries.

“I will definitely not be a governor to govern such a state and will never preside over a state that will allocate 100 per cent of its earnings to pay salaries,” he said.

Umahi from his statement has even threatened to resign just because of salary.

I'm ashamed that "the talk and do' governor" can't pay workers 30k.

Umahi’s attitude towards the issue of new minimum wage has finally exposed him. It has proven to the world that workers are poorly paid in Ebonyi State.

According to report, workers salary in the State have been slashed since Umahi emerged as Governor of Ebonyi State.

Ask workers in Ebonyi State, you will be shocked to hear the amount of money Umahi pays them monthly.

Umahi has hundreds of Technical advisers, Special Advisers, bought cars for Chiefs, take millions of naira every month in the name of security votes, feeding allowance, clothing allowance, etc but only 30k will cause inflation? I'm ashamed to see Umahi crying because of 30k minimum wage.

Let me share on how the country can pay minimum wage comfortably as seen online,

1. Abolish SECURITY VOTE in NIGERIA. Nigeria will pay N45,000 minimum wage comfortably.

2. a) Abolish CONSTITUENCY PROJECT FUNDS
b) Reduce no of ADVISERS to SENATE PRES(2), HOUSE SPEAKER(2), GOVs(4), PRESIDENT(5), VP(2)
c) Reduce current ALL Political Office Holders PAY CHEQUES by 51.5%, without exception
d) Do away with special remuneration to POLITICAL ADVISERS & PUBLIC SERVANTS eg; Purchase of Private Vehicles, Houses, granting Govt paid Vacations, paying for 1st & Business Class Transportations, etc, etc...
e) Abolish payment of OVERSEAS MEDICAL BILLS for Political Office Holders
f) Eliminate PRIVATE PRACTICE in public workforce
g) Eliminate participation of Public Workforce in Partisan Politics
h) Institute EMPLOYMENT BY MERIT, and eliminate UNDEREMPLOYMENT
i) Review and eliminate allocation of Govt paid POLITICAL AIDES & SUPPORT STAFF to Political Office Holders.

I strongly believe with the initiative shared above and my advice to Umahi is to calm down and stop crying over the new minimum wage, he can even pay more than 30k if he manages the resources in Ebonyi state judiciously .

Shut up man.

2 Likes

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Nov 08, 2018
Wisdomkosi:

Let me share how the country can pay minimum wage comfortably.....

Institute EMPLOYMENT BY Merit!

This is the only thing I'm interested in.

In fact, minimum wage for government workers especially should even be reduced to zero. I have absolute disdain for most idiots who work in the civil service and other public service positions. 99% of them didn't get these jobs by merit. They got it by influence peddling, 'grace and favour' (meaning one abuse of recruitment due process or the other), nepotism, etc. It's absolutely disgusting to me.

That's why things don't work. Because the government bureaucracy and white collar space is filled with incompetent mediocres. And on top of it, they are over entitled.... Always pining for money, pay raise, deals, etc. For what exactly?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by mightyhazell: 5:07pm On Nov 08, 2018
and ur paying corpers extra 10k?
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Predstan: 5:14pm On Nov 08, 2018
AZeD1:
Dave Umahi is right. It's sad but its the truth. Nigeria is neither a productive country nor a rich country and every year we keep digging the grave of the country further.

The last budget of the country has us spending about 75% of the budget on recurrent and just 25% on capital expenditure. A certain percentage of the budget (40% is my guess) is being funded by borrowing. An increase from 18k to 30k is a 67% increment.
So the country is about to increase recurrent expenditure by 67% without an increase in productivity? If we continue down this route, by 2021/2022, our entire budget would be funded by borrowing and it would be used just to pay salaries till we can't borrow again.

Hope is not a strategy.

I guess you are a BMC fellow who doesn't know anything... You need to understand that the politicians are spending more than what the minimum wage of workers should be. They spend, embezzle and divert enough fund that can be allocated to Productive workers. Imagine what 18k was in 2014 compared to 18k in 2018.. 18k in 2015 was $100 while 18k in 2018 is just $48 and price of commodity has increased by 300%. How do you want the country to be productive when there is no flow of money. If a worker could get 30k, he will extend this to the foodstuff seller around him and other stuffs that he needs. Market will flourish which will in turn reduce the price of commodity and will improve the value of our currency

2 Likes

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by murphybo(m): 5:24pm On Nov 08, 2018
Wisdomkosi:
By Wisdom Nwedene

Since the issue of new minimum wage by Nigerian Labour Congress emerged, I have discovered that my dear Governor, David Nweze Umahi has been crying that he can't pay workers the meagre 30, 000 naira.

While other governors are ready to pay workers more than 30k, my dear Governor is crying.

According to him, “The federal government collects 52 per cent of the revenue from the federation account and when I tried to put the N30,000 figure to Local Government Areas (LGA) it means they will borrow N1billion to add to their allocation, in paying salaries.

“I will definitely not be a governor to govern such a state and will never preside over a state that will allocate 100 per cent of its earnings to pay salaries,” he said.

Umahi’s attitude towards the issue of new minimum wage has finally exposed him. It has proven to the world that workers are poorly paid in Ebonyi State.

According to report, workers salary in the State have been slashed since Umahi emerged as Governor of Ebonyi State.

Ask workers in Ebonyi State, you will be shocked to hear the amount of money Umahi pays them monthly.

Umahi has hundreds of Technical advisers, Special Advisers, bought cars for Chiefs, take millions of naira every month in the name of security votes, feeding allowance, clothing allowance, etc but only 30k will cause inflation? I'm ashamed to see Umahi crying because of 30k minimum wage.

Let me share on how the country can pay minimum wage comfortably as seen online,

1. Abolish SECURITY VOTE in NIGERIA. Nigeria will pay N45,000 minimum wage comfortably.

b) Reduce no of ADVISERS to SENATE PRES(2), HOUSE SPEAKER(2), GOVs(4), PRESIDENT(5), VP(2)
c) Reduce current ALL Political Office Holders PAY CHEQUES by 51.5%, without exception
d) Do away with special remuneration to POLITICAL ADVISERS & PUBLIC SERVANTS eg; Purchase of Private Vehicles, Houses, granting Govt paid Vacations, paying for 1st & Business Class Transportations, etc, etc...
i) Review and eliminate allocation of Govt paid POLITICAL AIDES & SUPPORT STAFF to Political Office Holders.

I strongly believe with the initiative shared above and my advice to Umahi is to calm down and stop crying over the new minimum wage, he can even pay more than 30k if he manages the resources in Ebonyi state judiciously .
They can also cancel pension of a Governor collecting salary as well as senator or minister that are currently in service
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by AZeD1(m): 5:28pm On Nov 08, 2018
Predstan:

I guess you are a BMC fellow who doesn't know anything... You need to understand that the politicians are spending more than what the minimum wage of workers should be. They spend, embezzle and divert enough fund that can be allocated to Productive workers. Imagine what 18k was in 2014 compared to 18k in 2018.. 18k in 2015 was $100 while 18k in 2018 is just $48 and price of commodity has increased by 300%. How do you want the country to be productive when there is no flow of money. If a worker could get 30k, he will extend this to the foodstuff seller around him and other stuffs that he needs. Market will flourish which will in turn reduce the price of commodity and will improve the value of our currency
1) You don't know me but but you've already assigned a label to me which is frankly the sign of unintelligent people.
2) If you had listened in class when your teacher was talking, you would know that the bold part of your statement is trash. The basic definition of in inflation is too much money chasing fewer goods. You don't increase salary because you want production to increase.
3) Like I said in my earlier post, hope is not a strategy. No Governor will reduce his spending because he needs to pay salary.

3 Likes

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by mrvitalis(m): 5:33pm On Nov 08, 2018
Almaiga:
Any Governor that can not afford to pay the 30k minimum wage, is not fit to be a Governor. They pay themselves hundreds of millions and they pay their cronies millions monthly. But they claim that, 30k is to much for their State workers.
30k minimum wage means an ssce holder would be earning 70k plus while a fresh graduate would earn 130k plus I'm the federal service

No federal government worker earns less than 40k now

Do u even understand what minimum wage is all about?

1 Like

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 08, 2018
Wisdomkosi:
By Wisdom Nwedene

most Nigerian states couldnt pay 18k minimum wage from 2012 till 2018 n u people expect them to pay 30k?

1 Like

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Predstan: 5:45pm On Nov 08, 2018
AZeD1:

1) You don't know me but but you've already assigned a label to me which is frankly the sign of unintelligent people.
2) If you had listened in class when your teacher was talking, you would know that the bold part of your statement is trash. The basic definition of in inflation is too much money chasing fewer goods. You don't increase salary because you want production to increase.
3) Like I said in my earlier post, hope is not a strategy. No Governor will reduce his spending because he needs to pay salary.

Then you need to go back to school. Tell me what happens when money does not flourish in a country. I have to quote this from The Heritage Foundation " when a farmer tends an apple orchard and then sells the apples, he gets money to buy what he needs for his own use and to sustain his apple business, while customers get the apples, which they prefer to the money they give the farmer. Income has been created by developing products that consumers want. If the farmer saves rather than spends some of the proceeds, he can invest the money and create even more income in the future" The economy grows when individuals and businesses succeed in recognizing new markets and new opportunities and accept the risks involved in pursuing these opportunities in the hope of earning income. But imagine when these markets are available but no one Buys it, they are going to pack up and leave that country to invest in another country.

Rail or Road construction shouldn't be our priority but our priority should be human capital development. Increase minimum wage which in turn increases tax paid back to the government. When wages are increased, increase school fee and standard of our tertiary institutions which will later in the years be the best for our country.

You are here spitting nonsense. They are telling you there is no money in the country and you are listening to the dissemblers. You argue what you don't know without explanations. I bet you don't live on 18k in a month but you are comfortable seeing your countrymen living on 18k.

I still believe we can pay 60k as minimum wage which is taxable by 20%.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by anonymous1759(m): 5:46pm On Nov 08, 2018
AZeD1:
Dave Umahi is right. It's sad but its the truth. Nigeria is neither a productive country nor a rich country and every year we keep digging the grave of the country further.

The last budget of the country has us spending about 75% of the budget on recurrent and just 25% on capital expenditure. A certain percentage of the budget (40% is my guess) is being funded by borrowing. An increase from 18k to 30k is a 67% increment.
So the country is about to increase recurrent expenditure by 67% without an increase in productivity? If we continue down this route, by 2021/2022, our entire budget would be funded by borrowing and it would be used just to pay salaries till we can't borrow again.

Hope is not a strategy.

Senator, rep members, minisrers, state house members and governors should go on minimum Wage. Someone who is Receiving 18k and another 29m all going to the same market tell me what kind of injustice is worse than that? I fit break your head if I see you... No cross my lane... Market prices have gone up for some time and no increment... Average workers have more children more than these thieves who Recieve more salaries , I think they deserve better salaries... If the country most stand let us all sacrifice for it. You can't ask me to sacrifice for the country and you sit in your comfort Zone doing nothing.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Nov 08, 2018
grandstar:
He who wear the shoe knows where it pinches.

Do you know many states are owing workers many months salaries? Have you ever wondered why?

This problem started in 2014 when oil prices crashed and within a year, the monthly allocation was slashed by half. This was not even enough to pay salaries how much other government duties. States began owing salaries.

The sensible thing to have done would have been to slash the size of the bloated civil service in each state and at the federal level also.

The states were terrified downsizing the labour force for fear of losing elections. Akande, the first governor of Osun in 1999 sacked 3,000 unqualified teachers and voters promptly relieved him of his job.

I dont know who is fooling who? The FG that is borrowing money to pay workers or the NLC that is fully aware many states can barely pay their workers and now demanding an increase?

Most states will simply not pay workers worsening the issue of unpaid workers.

What we will have on ground right now reminds me of the old communist joke, "We pretend to work, they pretend to pay us"

Things will only worse

Nigeria needs restructuring, and its not the type of restructuring that's making the news (geopolitics, bla bla). But unfortunately, no one would take te Bull by the horn. Many fools thought Buhari would be the man to do that. The kind of no nonsense leader who has no friends. No allegiances. No biases. No joy. Alas! Buhari is worse than anyone before him.

Our problem in Nigeria is that we are too lazy. We love the low hanging fruits. The soft choices.

Until we find people who despise low hanging fruits and prefer to take hard decisions that would pay off in the long run we're not ready to start.

We need to DISBAND the civil service at the Federal level and the states. It's not only overbloated but filled with incompetent and barely educated idiots who got the jobs via one godfather or the other. That's why paying salaries is a problem. You have a massive crowd of unproductive idiots leeching on the system. It's a big joke.

3 Likes

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by AZeD1(m): 6:09pm On Nov 08, 2018
Predstan:

Then you need to go back to school. Tell me what happens when money does not flourish in a country. I have to quote this from The Heritage Foundation " when a farmer tends an apple orchard and then sells the apples, he gets money to buy what he needs for his own use and to sustain his apple business, while customers get the apples, which they prefer to the money they give the farmer. Income has been created by developing products that consumers want. If the farmer saves rather than spends some of the proceeds, he can invest the money and create even more income in the future" The economy grows when individuals and businesses succeed in recognizing new markets and new opportunities and accept the risks involved in pursuing these opportunities in the hope of earning income. But imagine when these markets are available but no one Buys it, they are going to pack up and leave that country to invest in another country.

Rail or Road construction shouldn't be our priority but our priority should be human capital development. Increase minimum wage which in turn increases tax paid back to the government. When wages are increased, increase school fee and standard of our tertiary institutions which will later in the years be the best for our country.

You are here spitting nonsense. They are telling you there is no money in the country and you are listening to the dissemblers. You argue what you don't know without explanations. I bet you don't live on 18k in a month but you are comfortable seeing your countrymen living on 18k.

I still believe we can pay 60k as minimum wage which is taxable by 20%.

You are a special kind of dull person. From your analogy, the farmer produced an apple before he got paid, he wasn't given the money first in the hope that he would produce something.

Money isn't made from air, so for the government to increase salary, it first has to source the money from somewhere. Now a smart person would know that the last budget was partly funded by loans and any increase to the budget without an increase in productivity means an increase in borrowing which comes with its own costs.

At 18k, close to 25 out of 36 states couldn't pay salaries what do you think would happen to states that can't pay the 18k when it becomes 30k?

3 Likes

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Predstan: 6:12pm On Nov 08, 2018
Hedonini:

Nigeria needs restructuring, and its not the type of restructuring that's making the news (geopolitics, bla bla). But unfortunately, no one would take te Bull by the horn. Many fools thought Buhari would be the man to do that. The kind of no nonsense leader who has no friends. No allegiances. No biases. No joy. Alas! Buhari is worse than anyone before him.

Our problem in Nigeria is that we are too lazy. We love the low hanging fruits. The soft choices.

Until we find people who despise low hanging fruits and prefer to take hard decisions that would pay off in the long run we're not ready to start.

We need to DISBAND the civil service at the Federal level and the states. It's not only overbloated but filled with incompetent and barely educated idiots who got the jobs via one godfather or the other. That's why paying salaries is a problem. You have a massive crowd of unproductive idiots leeching on the system. It's a big joke.

Thank you my Man. We need restructuring definitely. I think thats another topic for another thread. Disbanding the Federal and the states civil service is not the best thing because that means our power generation will be on hold and other sector mounted by the Civil service. You want to know how the US government can give account of the number of hours, every legal workers do in a day? Because they have a system of technology that records that.

It still baffles me that Nigeria is compared to other African countries. We should be far ahead of them and should be the Giant of this continent by productivity.

We need fresh ideas and technologically driven leaders before we can think of restructuring. Some states don't have anything productive to generate Income so how are they going to cope restructuring.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Nov 08, 2018
AZeD1:

Hope is not a strategy.
Did you read the suggestions given by op ? please study them.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by sundoj08(m): 6:24pm On Nov 08, 2018
AZeD1:

1) Y[b]ou don't know me but but you've already assigned a label to me which is frankly the sign of unintelligent people.
2) If you had listened in class when your teacher was talking, you would know that the bold part of your statement is trash. The basic definition of in inflation is too much money chasing fewer goods. You don't increase salary because you want production to increase.[/b]
thankfully you replied cos i couldn't stop imagining how ignorant ppl can be throwing some *beer parlor gossip* in the air. This is why Nigeria is whr it's at, wayy too much ignorant nonsense of how things work realistically.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Predstan: 6:29pm On Nov 08, 2018
AZeD1:

You are a special kind of dull person. From your analogy, the farmer produced an apple before he got paid, he wasn't given the money first in the hope that he would produce something.

Money isn't made from air, so for the government to increase salary, it first has to source the money from somewhere. Now a smart person would know that the last budget was partly funded by loans and any increase to the budget without an increase in productivity means an increase in borrowing which comes with its own costs.

At 18k, close to 25 out of 36 states couldn't pay salaries what do you think would happen to states that can't pay the 18k when it becomes 30k?

To voice your opinion, obnoxious statement should be avoided. Do away from insults and Verbiage use of words.

If money is not made from the government, how then do you expect a common farmer to own his farm. You probably don't understand my analogy. I will refer you to https://www.heritage.org/jobs-and-labor/report/the-economy-hits-home-what-makes-the-economy-grow

I earlier called you BMC fellow because you still believe anything the mendaciloquence politicians says. The budget you are referring to is full of money going back to their pockets.

Tell me why they weren't able to pay 18k, was it because there was no money?

I still believe investing in Human capital development is the best way to go in Nigeria. Make Loans available to farmers, increase the value of your workers so that they will be able to buy from farmers and the farmer will be able to pay back the loan with interest. I still don't know how to bold sentence on Nairaland I 4 don bold this for you. Desist from the prevaricated statement they had fed u with.

A Country of about 200million is still languishing on how to go about governance.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Predstan: 6:33pm On Nov 08, 2018
sundoj08:
thankfully you replied cos i couldn't stop imagining how ignorant ppl can be throwing some *beer parlor gossip* in the air. This is why Nigeria is whr it's at, wayy too much ignorant nonsense of how things work realistically.

Ok. Beer parlour indeed. I await your opinion tho. If you can't air your opinion, you should be frying to sell your intellectual opinion to the government.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Ocon: 6:37pm On Nov 08, 2018
AZeD1:
[s]Dave Umahi is right. It's sad but its the truth. Nigeria is neither a productive country nor a rich country and every year we keep digging the grave of the country further.

Hope is not a strategy.[/s]
Rubbish
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by AZeD1(m): 6:46pm On Nov 08, 2018
Predstan:

To voice your opinion, obnoxious statement should be avoided. Do away from insults and Verbiage use of words.

If money is not made from the government, how then do you expect a common farmer to own his farm. You probably don't understand my analogy. I will refer you to https://www.heritage.org/jobs-and-labor/report/the-economy-hits-home-what-makes-the-economy-grow

I earlier called you BMC fellow because you still believe anything the mendaciloquence politicians says. The budget you are referring to is full of money going back to their pockets.

Tell me why they weren't able to pay 18k, was it because there was no money?

I still believe investing in Human capital development is the best way to go in Nigeria. Make Loans available to farmers, increase the value of your workers so that they will be able to buy from farmers and the farmer will be able to pay back the loan with interest. I still don't know how to bold sentence on Nairaland I 4 don bold this for you. Desist from the prevaricated statement they had fed u with.

A Country of about 200million is still languishing on how to go about governance.
To make a text bold, highlight the text and click on the 'B' button just above the reply box. That said, there's wishful thinking and there's pragmatism. I prefer to be pragmatic. It would be nice if political office holders reduce they emoluments and stop looting but that's wishful thinking.

Government can work towards increasing salaries and if we go by past antecedents, everything else will increase so the only thing that has increased the amount workers are receiving but the value might probably have decreased.

Government can also work towards reducing the cost of living which would ensure that the current money they earn would increase in value. If the price of food can drop just 30%, peoples lives would be better.
You made one good point in your last post which is increasing loans to farmers.

When you increase minimum wage, all workers across the spectrum get an increase including directors and permanent secretaries who are already on decent wages. The goal should be helping the lowest of the low and the government can start by not taxing anyone who earns less than 45k (I don't know if they are currently taxed).

1 Like

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by sweetilicious(f): 6:55pm On Nov 08, 2018
AZeD1:

Hope is not a strategy.
Not far from the truth.This should make them reduce expenditure on frivolous things and devise a means to increase revenue.We shouldn't hold on to it as an excuse to pay lesser minimum wage.This is cheer wickedness and laziness on the pact of the government.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Predstan: 7:04pm On Nov 08, 2018
AZeD1:

To make a text bold, highlight the text and click on the 'B' button just above the reply box. That said, there's wishful thinking and there's pragmatism. I prefer to be pragmatic. It would be nice if political office holders reduce they emoluments and stop looting but that's wishful thinking.

Government can work towards increasing salaries and if we go by past antecedents, everything else will increase so the only thing that has increased the amount workers are receiving but the value might probably have decreased.

Government can also work towards reducing the cost of living which would ensure that the current money they earn would increase in value. If the price of food can drop just 30%, peoples lives would be better.
You made one good point in your last post which is increasing loans to farmers.

When you increase minimum wage, all workers across the spectrum get an increase including directors and permanent secretaries who are already on decent wages. The goal should be helping the lowest of the low and the government can start by not taxing anyone who earns less than 45k (I don't know if they are currently taxed).

Wait!!! Why do you sound different? I can't just believe you can compose a more prolific wordings instead of those rhetoric insults u throw at me. Now I can pick points from your write-ups. The only problem with minimum wage argument is the value of our currency. Do you remember the minimum wage was increased from 8k to the current 18k?which was even more valuable than the current proposed wage And there was no inflation as much as you thought there would be. I still want to know how you think we can increase the value of our currency.

Modified: If Loans are available to farmers but the value of the common workers cannot afford to buy goods from farmers, the government will not be reimbursed of the loans they had lend to farmers which will mean the farmer will definitely be packing up in the mean time. This is what is affecting our economy. Many startups are packing because their products are not selling to profit them. Hope you grab my point.

1 Like

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by longerthroat(m): 7:05pm On Nov 08, 2018
last month he gave Ebonyi state branch I'd CAN 500 million naira. bought new prado suv for commissioners and perm sec... yet he can't pay salary. coward

1 Like

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by AZeD1(m): 7:30pm On Nov 08, 2018
Predstan:

Wait!!! Why do you sound different? I can't just believe you can compose a more prolific wordings instead of those rhetoric insults u throw at me. Now I can pick points from your write-ups. The only problem with minimum wage argument is the value of our currency. Do you remember the minimum wage was increased from 8k to the current 18k?which was even more valuable than the current proposed wage And there was no inflation as much as you thought there would be. I still want to know how you think we can increase the value of our currency.
To increase our currency, we need more people around the world buying the naira, which means we need to produce more goods the world wants.

Having a low value currency is not necessarily a bad thing as the yen and reminibi have shown.

The average factory worker in China earns $27.50 per day, compared with $8.60 in Indonesia and $6.70.

If we had a serious government or a government with a plan, we would have be working to steal some of those manufacturing jobs from China and South Asia.

At $5 a day times 20 days a month gives $100 which is 35k in naira more than what labour is asking for.

2 Likes

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Toylove: 8:10pm On Nov 08, 2018
grandstar:

Do you know many states are owing workers many months salaries? Have you ever wondered why?

This problem started in 2014 when oil prices crashed and within a year, the monthly allocation was slashed by half. This was not even enough to pay salaries how much other government duties. States began owing salaries.

The sensible thing to have done would have been to slash the size of the bloated civil service in each state and at the federal level also.

The states were terrified downsizing the labour force for fear of losing elections. Akande, the first governor of Osun in 1999 sacked 3,000 unqualified teachers and voters promptly relieved him of his job.

I dont know who is fooling who? The FG that is borrowing money to pay workers or the NLC that is fully aware many states can barely pay their workers and now demanding an increase?

What we will have on ground right now reminds me of the old communist joke, "We pretend to work, they pretend to pay us"

Things will only worse
Lawmakers over bloated allowances should also be be slashed.

1 Like

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by Kaymaxi2222(m): 8:36pm On Nov 08, 2018
grandstar:

The states were terrified downsizing the labour force for fear of losing elections. Akande, the first governor of Osun in 1999 sacked 3,000 unqualified[b][/b] teachers and voters promptly relieved him of his job.

Things will only worse
At the bolded..... Are you for real unqualified, you need brain reset
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by ezenna191(m): 8:49pm On Nov 08, 2018
Gov Umahi is right. I'm a civil servant in Ebonyi State and I know that he makes effort to pay workers before the 15th of every month. Many states that claim to be paying civil servants 30000 minimum wage earned up owe them for months and destabilize their families. I stand for strong economy and not inflation driven salary increase that creates unemployment and also impoverishes civil servants.

1 Like

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by EternalTruths: 9:02pm On Nov 08, 2018
ezenna191:
Gov Umahi is right. I'm a civil servant in Ebonyi State and I know that he makes effort to pay workers before the 15th of every month. Many states that claim to be paying civil servants 30000 minimum wage earned up owe them for months and destabilize their families. I stand for strong economy and not inflation driven salary increase that creates unemployment and also impoverishes civil servants.

I know you Ebonyi people are sufferers yourselves and that is why you support your Governor.

What stops the Governor from finding ways to boost income and use some of the proceeds to improve the wages of civil servants knowing fully well that it will aid the economy of Ebonyi and reduce poverty.
Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by grandstar(m): 9:06pm On Nov 08, 2018
Kaymaxi2222:

At the bolded..... Are you for real unqualified, you need brain reset

You are a leftist fantasist so you'll not understand a word I just wrote.

Enlightened voters in the US for instance would snigger when a government promises to cut taxes and increase spending and still balance the budget. How is that possible?

2 Likes

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by JBmarz(m): 9:08pm On Nov 08, 2018
grandstar:

Things will only worse

If u only know the number of funds d state governments have received from 2014 till now u won't reason this way. What happened to the bailout fund that was given to them by FG from the federation account to offset salary arrears, we r not even talking about the funds received from the Paris club. What about their IGR or these Governors wanna tell us they dont generate revenue internally Let's leave d allocation from d federation account 1st. Let us see how many of them would come out on national television and tell the masses they won't pay the minimum wage wen it becomes a law. There and then u would see how these states funds r being misappropriated

1 Like

Re: Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? by okenwaa(m): 9:12pm On Nov 08, 2018
Igboblog:
Umahi no well at all. Come 2019, he will be going back to his village.

Hohohohohooho..

Utopia papa,,he can't fit.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jubilation In Anambra As Atiku Picks Obi As Running Mate / Buhari Debriefs Permanent Secretaries / Exorbitant Estimated Electricity Billings! Post Your March Bills Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.