Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,587 members, 7,816,444 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole (16314 Views)

Court Dismisses Judgement Against Rivers APC Guber Candidate, Tonye Cole / How Amaechi Got Buhari To Suspend Hadiza Bala Usman Amid ‘Cold War’ - The Cable / 2019: How Ambode's Quarrel With Tinubu Started (FULL STORY) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by 8Ebisco: 6:45am On Nov 11, 2018
Business mogul and 2019 Rivers State governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Tonye Cole, in this interview, says he hopes to arrest the culture of violence, endemic poverty and hopelessness in the state if elected as governor. Cole also explains how the Minister of Transportation and a former governor of the state, Mr Rotimi Amaechi, lured him into the race.

On the controversy over alleged his imposition by Amaechi as governorship candidate!

As far as I am concerned, there is no controversy. Nobody can impose anybody. What you have is that you had a primary election. You had people that went for that primary. You had people who won and those who lost. And everybody, at the end of the day, had legitimate right to agree or to object. As humans, you cannot impose anybody. The human spirit rejects imposition. Any position taken, you have those for it and those against. And that is what I think we are seeing. And that’s life, you can’t please everybody.

On Amaechi influencing him to run!

He (Amaechi) spoke to me a lot about it. He said to me there was need for a different type of politics in Rivers. That he and the people of Rivers were yearning for peace, yearning for wealth creation and distribution. They were yearning for a leader that can impact people at the grassroots and make them feel that the money that comes to the state, which is a lot, can actually impact their lives on daily basis. Rivers State is yearning at this moment for someone who they know is not going to steal their money. And that is why I took it.

Religious Kano and the Ganduje tapes

On the possibility of business interests involved!

As far as I know, Rotimi Amaechi and I have never done any business together. I ran a business for 23 years. In that business I dealt with government at all levels, in Nigeria, Ghana, 23 African countries. I have dealt with ministers, governors, presidents. Now, how many of them would I have business relationships with? It is absolutely impossible. I have no business relationship with Amaechi because if we do that from the type of business that we run, that means we are already in trouble. We were part of a group called Partnering Against Corruption Initiative, essentially a World Economic Forum group working to ensure that business is separated from government. If people say they want to look into business relationships, feel free, go ahead and investigate.

On abandoning multi-million dollar businesses to face risk of politics!

Once you build institutions and build the business, you are comfortable knowing that the business can run on its own without any problem. We have built a very solid business. Once you’ve done that, you can move to the next thing. Business in itself has a limit as to how far you can help people. We employ about 3, 800 people. In politics, on the other hand, you are dealing with millions of people. You are going into a realm where you can touch and make a difference in the lives of millions of people on daily basis.

So the first thing in front of everybody was to resign from every single company, walk away from everything I have done because I know that it will survive. And people say the Constitution does not say you should do that but I said no, we need to be able to separate completely. I don’t want to look back. I have finished that aspect of my life, so it’s easy to move on. I go to sleep and sleep completely because I know that the business I have built can stand on its own.

Sanwo-Olu meets Lagos CAN chairman, seeks joint efforts against poverty

On renewing unity in Rivers!

I am doing ward rounds now. Going into politics, one of the things I first noticed as I went in is that everybody is angry with everybody. Nobody wants to talk to anybody. You belong to this party or cling to this faction. I have never seen a place, a home, an institution, a state, a country that can ever progress in bitterness and anger. The cure to that is that, first, you bring everybody together. The first thing we have been telling the people is the assurance that we are creating a government that is not of bitterness. We can compete. If we lose we lose fairly, win we win fairly. Once we win it is not an exclusion of anybody, that as soon as I win, we can no longer see anybody.

On the Governor Wike challenge!

I am a match for Nyesom Wike because, at the table, he has things he has done, I have things I have done. I have discussions I am going to put before the people; he has things to put before the people. At the end of the day, everybody goes to the ballot box, and who makes the decision? The decision is going to be made by Rivers people. And that is the beauty of democracy.

On volatile Rivers politics being unfit for gentlemen!

I don’t agree with that notion. Until you come face to face with a mother that has lost a child in violence, until you came face with face with a woman who lost her husband and now a widow at 23, 24, until you come face to face with children who have no parents because political violence took them, until you come face to face with grandmothers who lost their children, grandchildren, in-laws all in one day because of political violence, what you see are people who are fed up with the cycle of violence. And they are now looking for an alternative that is totally different.

Withdraw from politics or be withdrawn, Wike warns monarchs

Then you see that politics in Nigeria has totally changed. I am preaching peace absolutely, because I have seen people come to me on wheelchairs, shot, paralyzed. A young boy was paralyzed at 15 because his father was an APC member that held a meeting. When you come across these people, you know you are sitting in a community among a people who are reminded that violence has not paid them.

On the chances of winning Rivers governorship with the backing of Amaechi under a divided APC!

I am not distracted at all. My focus, simply, is on majority of the people in Rivers who have suffered greatly from devastation, floods; suffered from elections violence; they have lost loved ones; they are suffering aggravated poverty. I have never seen poverty in Rivers as bad as I have seen it now. Unemployment in the state is one of the highest in the country today.

I see able, young men sitting down in the afternoon doing nothing; people sitting down and have turned to beggars because factories have folded up and left. The first step is to bring peace to the place. Without peace, Rivers cannot make progress. By reaching across the divides and letting everyone know that it is not politics of death, I am the reconciliation because I am a totally different type of politician.

On connecting with the Rivers people as a perceived unknown face!

The first thing I have started doing is embarking on ward rounds. I am stepping my feet into every single ward, looking at the people in the eye. I am going into social contract with the people, asking them the basic questions: What is your concern? What worries you? And what are the worries I hear? Number one, across board, there is violence. They are yearning for security and peace, and I am the reconciliation.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/11/rivers-2019-how-amaechi-convinced-me-to.html

9 Likes

Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by vanbonattel: 6:50am On Nov 11, 2018
The Lizard of Ubima , Rotimi Iscariot

28 Likes

Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by gaby(m): 6:57am On Nov 11, 2018
A catchy and a cheeky headline.
Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by Nbote(m): 7:02am On Nov 11, 2018
All dis one na story... U and Amaechi have neva done business before Abi? Clap for urself...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by Omeokachie: 7:04am On Nov 11, 2018
Another man who is not prepared for the job!

He is already telling the people that he was called upon...meaning that he had no plans of being a governor, hence bear with him if he drags the state backward by 20yrs. grin

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by dalongjnr: 7:06am On Nov 11, 2018
Nice one,a civilized politician. Violence corrupt the system and create fear in the people.

3 Likes

Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by chrisxxx(m): 7:08am On Nov 11, 2018
Tonye Cole thanks for your interest in governing Rivers State. However there is no vacancy now or even in the near future for you. This was a man Amaechi sold Rivers State gas turbine to now claims he has not done business with him.
Cole no doubt a billionaire can u point out your contribution socially to the development of Rivers State before now? I know that of Abe, Lulu Briggs and others frontline Rivers politicians.
If Amaechi so much believes in you let him resign his ministerial position and nominate you to take over. Let us see your performance in q non-elective position.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by Imustreturn(m): 7:08am On Nov 11, 2018
See them .. idiots

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by cjudy(m): 7:15am On Nov 11, 2018
shocked

So that's the reason your convoy killed 2 innocent women because of Amechi? Karma is waiting patiently for you.
Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by nnaamehn(m): 7:15am On Nov 11, 2018
It's good he convinced you, so the both of you will feel the pain of losing as well.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by Nobody: 7:17am On Nov 11, 2018
Well done, the next governor of Rivers state. Together, the people of Rivers with you and the Lion of Niger Delta, Royimi Amaechi will chase away the fraudster occupying the present fraudster in the Rivers government house

8 Likes

Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by iamvictorbassey: 7:17am On Nov 11, 2018
Hope you have your machineries on ground to kill and maim? Because Rivers election is not shawarma.

I wonder why election cannot be like a buffet where you go pick what you like, when you're done you go back peacefully and that's all. With none telling you pick moi moi, you must pick egusi.etc
Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by LOWPEAK: 7:17am On Nov 11, 2018
Just imagine Nigerian style of Politics...
How can someone that is convinced carry the burden of its citizens, someone with no original political will....

Same as someone who has no political history that was forced to rule his people..

Neo-Heirachy

1 Like

Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by Nobody: 7:19am On Nov 11, 2018
vanbonattel:
The Lizard of Ubima , Rotimi Iscariot

Royimi Iscariot? But the person you are licking his boots- Atiku is what to the North?

When do you want to grow up?

It is a free world

Get off the loss hangover, since 2015. Even Jona has moved on

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by MOSICATED5(m): 7:21am On Nov 11, 2018
Amaechi is to Rivers what Akpabio is to Akwa Ibom. They are the troubles with their states.

1 Like

Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by chyeexcel: 7:21am On Nov 11, 2018
cole abi charcoal,anything linked to buhari smells of failure. you can't be any better than your master.
Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by Iamgodwin: 7:22am On Nov 11, 2018
Banky W Declares His Intention To Run For Public Office

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPb49EmDOoo
Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by haladadon: 7:23am On Nov 11, 2018
Ashley Cole I know.(football)

j Cole I know(rapper)

Joe Cole I know (football)

who is Tonye?

1 Like

Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:23am On Nov 11, 2018
His ambition is dead on arrival!
Wike till 2023

1 Like

Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by Nobody: 7:24am On Nov 11, 2018
MOSICATED5:
Amaechi is to Rivers what Tinubu is to Lagos. They are the one that determines what happen in their states.

Fixed
Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:25am On Nov 11, 2018
dalongjnr:
Nice one,a civilized politician. Violence corrupt the system and create fear in the people.
Cole is a fraud! He's a violent man forget the packaging
Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by Caseless: 7:27am On Nov 11, 2018
cool

Sai pastor tonye cole!
Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by Hasken2020: 7:27am On Nov 11, 2018
Nice one Cole. You are d best candidates for Rivers. May God Almighty grant u d very best. You will be d next Rivers Governor in Jesus mighty name

4 Likes

Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by Hasken2020: 7:29am On Nov 11, 2018
Nice one Cole. You are d best candidates for Rivers. May God Almighty grant u d very best. You will be d next Rivers Governor in Jesus mighty name

3 Likes

Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by dalongjnr: 7:29am On Nov 11, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
Cole is a fraud! He's a violent man forget the packaging
You are right, but nobody have the monopoly of violence.
Tonye is a newcomer in the race so I can't subscribed him been violent in the political arena.

2 Likes

Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by Ifesinachi22(m): 7:30am On Nov 11, 2018
No APC in Rivers. Rivers is PDP till thy kingdom come
Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by gare(f): 7:33am On Nov 11, 2018
divinecode101:
Well done, the next governor of Rivers state. Together, the people of Rivers with you and the Lion of Niger Delta, Royimi Amaechi will chase away the fraudster occupying the present fraudster in the Rivers government house

Please Kindly limit that Lion to Ubima, dont mention delta State, can he play the role Tinubu is playing in the south west, Only Wike has given him sleepless Night, you want to add the whole Niger Delta, I know you dont like him because if you do you will Call Him Lion Of Niger delta.
Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:34am On Nov 11, 2018
dalongjnr:

You are right, but nobody have the monopoly of violence.
Tonye is a newcomer in the race so I can't subscribed him been violent in the political arena.
Let him continue to deceive himself noni
Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by Barondenigeria: 7:34am On Nov 11, 2018
Re: Rivers 2019: How Amaechi Convinced Me To Run As APC Candidate —tonye Cole by Nobody: 7:36am On Nov 11, 2018
gare:

Please Kindly limit that Lion to Ubima, dont mention delta State, can he play the role Tinubu is playing in the south west, Only Wike has given him sleepless Night, you want to add the whole Niger Delta, I know you dont like him because if you do you will Call Him Lion Of Niger delta.

But he defeated your hero, Jonathan and he is bigger than him and anyone from Niger Delta

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alhaji Lai Mohammed: Buhari, Not Saraki Made Me Minister / Obasanjo Warns Against Opening Nigeria Boarder For Poultry Importation / Letters Of OBJ To GEJ And Iyabo Obasanjo To Her Father for sale. Very funny.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.