Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,266 members, 7,811,756 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE (4402 Views)

Ondo state is more populated than imo ,zamfara,katsina On Satellite Pictures / Most Populated Cities In Nigeria 2022 / Southern Nigeria Is Far More Populated Than The North! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Jboyossai(m): 1:36pm On Nov 11, 2018
For me being realistic it will go in this order:

1. Hausa

2. Igbo

3. Yoruba

4. Ijaw

5. Kanuri

what's your take?
No room for tribal entry!
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by servercodes001: 1:39pm On Nov 11, 2018
5. Igala

6. Kanuri
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Jboyossai(m): 1:42pm On Nov 11, 2018
servercodes001:
5. Igala

6. Kanuri
wtf??! Igala? They aint even in the top 10!
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by servercodes001: 1:47pm On Nov 11, 2018
Jboyossai:

I just saw they're 1.5m
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Caseless: 1:56pm On Nov 11, 2018
Jboyossai:

igala is a majority among the minorities. Among the minority tribes, igala has the trait of the igbo people - they travel alot; they can stay anywhere.

The way I see them outside their state, sometimes, I feel you won't find them at home. By the time you visit their region, you'd see them as if no one left the land.

I told someone that if igala were to be in benue by now, Tiv for don see as e de be. Those ones won't let tiv rule them; it will be a shifting or zoning arrangements, unlike what obtains between them and the idoma right now.

The '79 population census wasn't fair to the igalas, hence the misconception that ijaw and tiv have the imaginary number.

If you check their ancestral or tonal link to the igbo, Yoruba, itsekiri , jikun, you'd know they have the numbers.

Minorities are not treated right by the majorities in Nigeria, but some minorities suffer this more.

4 Likes

Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Jboyossai(m): 2:00pm On Nov 11, 2018
servercodes001:

I just saw they're 1.5m
1.5m out of 180m? Bro do the maths!

1 Like

Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Caseless: 2:01pm On Nov 11, 2018
servercodes001:

I just saw they're 1.5m
that wrong population figure? grin

I read a book about them last time and was shocked to see their numbers and spread. They have the number to produce governor and deputy in kogi state. Roughly 60% of the population. Kogi is falsely seen as 4 million+
(they're more than though). So, igala are estimated to be 3 million now.

I pity minority tribes in Nigeria.
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Jboyossai(m): 2:12pm On Nov 11, 2018
Caseless:
igala is a majority among the minorities. Among the minority tribes, igala has the trait of the igbo people - they travel alot; they can stay anywhere.

The way I see them outside their state, sometimes, I feel you won't find them at home. By the time you visit their region, you'd see them as if no one left the land.

I told someone that if igala were to be in benue by now, Tiv for don see as e de be. Those ones won't let tiv rule them; it will be a shifting or zoning arrangements, unlike what obtains between them and the idoma right now.

The '79 population census wasn't fair to the igalas, hence the misconception that ijaw and tiv have the imaginary number.

If you check their ancestral or tonal link to the igbo, Yoruba, itsekiri , jikun, you'd know they have the numbers.

Minorities are not treated right by the majorities in Nigeria, but some minorities suffer this more.
nice analysis but i dissagree with the fact that igalas are populous than Tivs of benue state...even Ibibio is bigger than igala
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Jboyossai(m): 2:14pm On Nov 11, 2018
Caseless:
that wrong population figure? grin

I read a book about them last time and was shocked to see their numbers and spread. They have the number to produce governor and deputy in kogi state. Roughly 60% of the population. Kogi is falsely seen as 4 million+
(they're more than though). So, igala are estimated to be 3 million now.

I pity minority tribes in Nigeria.
3million is not a big population to make the top 5 in Nigeria with the population of about 180m
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by mekaboy(m): 2:17pm On Nov 11, 2018
The most populated in a country like Nigeria is a curse. The most populated are the poorest, less educated and most violent.

So the population has become a curse to Nigeria.
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by gidgiddy: 2:23pm On Nov 11, 2018
Jboyossai:

3million is not a big population to make the top 5 in Nigeria with the population of about 180m

That's a huge number, that's the population of Djibouti, Mauritius and Swaziland combined.

1 Like

Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Jboyossai(m): 2:25pm On Nov 11, 2018
mekaboy:
The most populated in a country like Nigeria is a curse. The most populated are the poorest, less educated and most violent.

So the population has become a curse to Nigeria.
don't go tribal bro, thats not what the OP asked

1 Like

Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by servercodes001: 2:28pm On Nov 11, 2018
Jboyossai:

1.5m out of 180m? Bro do the maths!
Yeps. I don't know how I took them as a populous tribe but I'm now aware
They're few
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Jboyossai(m): 2:29pm On Nov 11, 2018
gidgiddy:

That's a huge number, that's the population of Djibouti, Mauritius and Swaziland combined.
doesn't matter bro, you've got to rank with respect to the total population and tribes in the country, even Iceland isn't upto 400k in population!
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Jboyossai(m): 2:33pm On Nov 11, 2018
Jboyossai:

1. Hausa

2. Igbo

3. Yoruba

4. Ijaw

5. Kanuri

what's your take?
but you all agree that the Igbos has more population than the Yorubas?
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Tallesty1(m): 2:48pm On Nov 11, 2018
Jboyossai:

but you all agree that the Igbos has more population than the Yorubas?
I honestly don't know but I think Igbo and Yoruba should come first before Hausa.
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by mekaboy(m): 2:50pm On Nov 11, 2018
Jboyossai:
don't go tribal bro, thats not what the OP asked

He did not ask but that's the hidden motive .
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Caseless: 2:52pm On Nov 11, 2018
Jboyossai:

nice analysis but i dissagree with the fact that igalas are populous than Tivs of benue state...even Ibibio is bigger than igala
grin grin it's still based on that false assumptions. We need that true population figure that reflects what's on ground, but our leaders won't allow that because of the fear of the west.

We plan our economy and budget on an imaginary population figure , so you can see why the impact of our 'growing economy" in those days was not felt and it seemed we were in recession even when the growth was "7%".

The 1972 census dealt a blow to the igalas cos they refused to come out and be counted because they felt when they know your true numbers of those in a household, you'll pay more taxes. This is what led to that erroneous figure you have today.

It took gej become a president before people started accepting the figure you peddle for ijaw today. Apart from bayelsa , outside here, you don't have up to 5 monolithic LGs belonging to the ijaws . But they have the mouth, the media presence - you have to accept the figure they bandy around. Igala are really quiet on the national stage, hence the "no voice" status . Just wait until they have a president by luck(no one thought gej or ijaw could... lol) , you'd see how their number will be forced up.

I even heard ogbia people are not ijaw - so gej by implication is not ijaw . Bayelsa sef is not purely ijaw grin.

Minorities deserve better.
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Caseless: 2:54pm On Nov 11, 2018
Jboyossai:

what's the population of Belgium, Finland, Netherlands, Croatia, etc?
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Caseless: 3:01pm On Nov 11, 2018
servercodes001:

Yeps. I don't know how I took them as a populous tribe but I'm now aware
They're few
as long that's more than a population of some countries, they're big. That's the figure in 2006, after 12 years, you still expect that to be the case today at 3.3% annual growth rate?

Among the "minorities" , they're in the majorities.

I refer to them as "minority-majority".

Where is my igala wife sef?

1 Like

Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Jboyossai(m): 3:01pm On Nov 11, 2018
Tallesty1:
I honestly don't know but I think Igbo and Yoruba should come first before Hausa.
lol...really? Are you in Nigeria at all?
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Jboyossai(m): 3:05pm On Nov 11, 2018
Caseless:
what's the population of Belgium, Finland, Netherlands, Croatia, etc?
you shouldnt judge like that, its just like saying Hausas of about 40m is a majority in a country like China with over a billion population...ofcourse they will be minority!

1 Like

Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Tallesty1(m): 3:10pm On Nov 11, 2018
Jboyossai:
Oh yes I am, and I currently reside in a northern state.

Thing is this, down south, it is believed that Hausa is the largest tribe in Nigeria but truth is that it appears so because they all speak Hausa.

There are so many tribes up here that some of you may have never heard of, and they will stone you if call them Hausa.

2 Likes

Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by basilo101: 3:51pm On Nov 11, 2018
Igbo remain the largest ethnic group. Igbo is larger than hausa but hausa always merge with other tribes in the north especially the fulani.

Edited: This 1933 document says that Hausa is largest even when Fulani is seperated followed by igbo. Meanwhile Igala is nowhere here

Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by basilo101: 4:05pm On Nov 11, 2018
Caseless:

Check out this 1933 data. Igala is a minority among minorities. They could not enter first ten

Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by AlhajaChinyere: 4:12pm On Nov 11, 2018
Jboyossai:

1. Hausa

2. Igbo

3. Yoruba

4. Ijaw

5. Kanuri

what's your take?

Another Flat head statistics -

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Blue3k(m): 4:18pm On Nov 11, 2018
Just wait for census.
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Jboyossai(m): 4:23pm On Nov 11, 2018
AlhajaChinyere:

Another Flat head statistics -
Jeez! Really bro? I think you should just post your own oppinion and not going tribal

1 Like

Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by mightyhazell: 4:24pm On Nov 11, 2018
igbo shd be number1

imagine,even after losing over 3million in the war (which is about 18million in todays ratio)...yet,hardly any town,city,village and hamlet in the whole africa,nay the world u wont see igbos in their numbers...

1 Like

Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by Jboyossai(m): 4:25pm On Nov 11, 2018
mightyhazell:
igbo shd be number 1
your reason with facts!
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:31pm On Nov 11, 2018
Jboyossai:

1. Hausa

2. Igbo

3. Yoruba

4. Ijaw

5. Kanuri

what's your take?
You are spot on on Ijaw being 4th largest!
Re: The Top 5 Most Populated Tribe In Nigeria? #DEBATE by MissSlimbody(f): 6:33pm On Nov 11, 2018
Jboyossai:

Igbo and Yoruba should definitely come before Hausa. Most of us makes the mistake of tagging all northerners "Hausa".
They are lots of tribes in the north, especially Kaduna.

If you call my friend that's from Kaduna, Hausa, he will correct you immediately that he is not Hausa.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yoruba/fulani Feud Will Soon Be Over - Commissioner Muyiwa Oladipo / Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos / Re: Engr. Tuoyo Omatsuli, Executive Director-projects, Nddc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.