Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,242 members, 7,836,155 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:40 PM

Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria (4174 Views)

Christians And Muslims Celebrate Christmas Together In Kaduna (Photo) / Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse / Bishop Sam Zuga: "Why Muslims Are Better Than Christians" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by HappyPagan: 10:05am On Aug 18, 2019
Born2Freak:

Wow. I was reading through this old thread and couldn't help but notice how you consistently play ignorant and deny flaws in your bible/religion.

His tactic is never to win - engaging him in any sort of discussion is like competing in an endurance race -- na who tire first go lose. I just make my points and move on.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Ihedinobi3: 11:31am On Aug 18, 2019
Born2Freak:

Wow. I was reading through this old thread and couldn't help but notice how you consistently play ignorant and deny flaws in your bible/religion.

Hello there.

I don't think it would do much good either to deny your accusations or to ask you to substantiate them, but then it is unlikely that it will do any better to simply explain how I approach conversations of the kind that I often have with atheists and other antichristians. I'll just do the latter for whatever it is worth.

In my experience debating antichristians, the Bible and Christians tend to suffer a lot of false accusations and unwarranted assumptions from their enemies. For that reason, when people claim things or make arguments or accusations with questionable assumptions, I ask them to explain their statements in the hopes that, by getting them to do so, they can start to appreciate the error of their positions. But, as I often say, atheism is a dishonest position, and I have never debated an honest atheist in my life, so when I take this option, it often leads to an end of the debate or to very bad debate tactics and accusations of evasion and playing ignorant, as you put it here. This is one reason that I don't care very much for debates with antichristians anymore: in general, the enemies of the Bible know that they are holding a false position, but they hope that the Christian does not know it, so that they can walk all over them and get them to deny their Faith in Jesus Christ. So, when they do meet Christians who know both the Truth of their own position and the falsehood of the antichristian's, it is never a pleasant experience for the antichristian (nor for the Christian, if personal experience is anything to go by).

This also applies to your claim that I deny flaws in the Bible. The point of apologetics, in general, is to defend what you believe. Even though, personally, I never feel threatened about what I believe, so that I never engage in apologetics in order to defend my Faith, it is quite unreasonable to expect that if I was debating the position of the Bible with an antichristians, I would ever admit that anything is wrong with the Bible unless I can be persuaded to do so through superior arguments. That one simply claims that there are flaws in the Bible does not automatically mean that there are. The person who makes such a claim would be responsible to demonstrate the claim as well and defend it against every challenge that the believer throws at it.

Your own comment here is an apt demonstration of everything that I have just said:

You came into this conversation only to make claims and accusations that you seem to think that I must accept as true. If, as I said, I asked you to show how I "consistently play ignorant," you may accuse me of playing ignorant of that too. If I ask you to show the flaws that are obvious to you but which I deny, you may claim that I am denying the obvious. This is what I have come to expect of atheists. For some reason, you think that whatever you say is the end of the matter and that it cannot therefore be challenged. That is why discussion with you is pretty much a travesty.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Ihedinobi3: 11:33am On Aug 18, 2019
HappyPagan:

His tactic is never to win - engaging him in any sort of discussion is like competing in an endurance race -- na who tire first go lose. I just make my points and move on.
Nwanne, thank you. I do appreciate your admission that I don't enter these debates to win anything, and that you don't enter any with me for any kind of reasoning too. LOL.

How have you been though? Two days, as they say in these parts.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Taqiya: 11:43am On Aug 18, 2019
HappyPagan:
[s]You can't be singing "This world is not my own", and build a great nation..

You can't scream "Islamization" on one hand, while building tithe collection points every 5km....

You can't bow to Mecca, and bang your head on the walls of Jerusalem, yet hope for a greater Africa.

When the BIBLE and QURAN guard your thoughts, controlling you is a mater of reading that which you believe without doubt. [/s]

Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by HappyPagan: 12:18pm On Aug 18, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Nwanne, thank you. I do appreciate your admission that I don't enter these debates to win anything, and that you don't enter any with me for any kind of reasoning too. LOL.

How have you been though? Two days, as they say in these parts.
We good bro. Back in PH, life's good. smiley
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Ihedinobi3: 12:23pm On Aug 18, 2019
HappyPagan:

We good bro. Back in PH, life's good. smiley
Stay safe there. Always hearing crazy things out of that city and from the state as a whole. Not that it's perfectly safe anywhere else, but still.

Happy to hear that life is good with you.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by HappyPagan: 1:11pm On Aug 18, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Stay safe there. Always hearing crazy things out of that city and from the state as a whole. Not that it's perfectly safe anywhere else, but still.
Sadly, a lot more happens in the state than the violent stories that get out. The insecurity is terrible - even the police no dey help matters.

Ihedinobi3:

Happy to hear that life is good with you.
Much better. Thanks man. Hope you are good too.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Ihedinobi3: 10:04pm On Aug 18, 2019
HappyPagan:

Sadly, a lot more happens in the state than the violent stories that get out. The insecurity is terrible - even the police no dey help matters.

Much better. Thanks man. Hope you are good too.
I was in the East between December and May, and my brother has been in that area since the middle of last year too, so I know a bit more than the news says. I've never been comfortable even thinking about Port Harcourt, much less visiting - and I had to travel late at night there in April. It's a very dangerous place to live in, in my thinking.

Very sorry about your experience with the police, bro. It's a wicked world, so just keep safe. Very little ever really gets better in this world, so I wouldn't lay much stock by the police or any human institutions, although I would take what advantage I can of them that the law makes possible.

I'm fine, thank you. Moved to the Middle Belt. New career in management consulting. Left the whole business thing, because reevaluation of life priorities.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Born2Freak(f): 2:46am On Aug 19, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Hello there.

I don't think it would do much good either to deny your accusations or to ask you to substantiate them, but then it is unlikely that it will do any better to simply explain how I approach conversations of the kind that I often have with atheists and other antichristians. I'll just do the latter for whatever it is worth.

In my experience debating antichristians, the Bible and Christians tend to suffer a lot of false accusations and unwarranted assumptions from their enemies. For that reason, when people claim things or make arguments or accusations with questionable assumptions, I ask them to explain their statements in the hopes that, by getting them to do so, they can start to appreciate the error of their positions. But, as I often say, atheism is a dishonest position, and I have never debated an honest atheist in my life, so when I take this option, it often leads to an end of the debate or to very bad debate tactics and accusations of evasion and playing ignorant, as you put it here. This is one reason that I don't care very much for debates with antichristians anymore: in general, the enemies of the Bible know that they are holding a false position, but they hope that the Christian does not know it, so that they can walk all over them and get them to deny their Faith in Jesus Christ. So, when they do meet Christians who know both the Truth of their own position and the falsehood of the antichristian's, it is never a pleasant experience for the antichristian (nor for the Christian, if personal experience is anything to go by).

This also applies to your claim that I deny flaws in the Bible. The point of apologetics, in general, is to defend what you believe. Even though, personally, I never feel threatened about what I believe, so that I never engage in apologetics in order to defend my Faith, it is quite unreasonable to expect that if I was debating the position of the Bible with an antichristians, I would ever admit that anything is wrong with the Bible unless I can be persuaded to do so through superior arguments. That one simply claims that there are flaws in the Bible does not automatically mean that there are. The person who makes such a claim would be responsible to demonstrate the claim as well and defend it against every challenge that the believer throws at it.

Your own comment here is an apt demonstration of everything that I have just said:

You came into this conversation only to make claims and accusations that you seem to think that I must accept as true. If, as I said, I asked you to show how I "consistently play ignorant," you may accuse me of playing ignorant of that too. If I ask you to show the flaws that are obvious to you but which I deny, you may claim that I am denying the obvious. This is what I have come to expect of atheists. For some reason, you think that whatever you say is the end of the matter and that it cannot therefore be challenged. That is why discussion with you is pretty much a travesty.

Why would I waste my time arguing with you when you lack the honesty and intelligence necessary to talk about your religion?

More qualified christian people and authorities have conceded that there are certain issues in the bible that are harmful to society. For instance , the Baptist, Anglican and catholic churches have all apologized for their roles in slavery. Before you muster any silly rebuttal just know that without those three churches, there would be nothing like christianity in Nigeria. You wouldn't be a Christian in the first place.

Priests who have gone through rigorous theological studies readily admit the many archaic and barbaric rulings contained in the old testament. Those were laws made for ancient men with archaic philosophies.

You are not impressing anyone with your dubious ways.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Born2Freak(f): 3:19am On Aug 19, 2019
HappyPagan:

He is clearly delusional if he thinks that he is defending christianity with his denials and purposeful ignorance.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Ihedinobi3: 8:37am On Aug 19, 2019
Born2Freak:

Why would I waste my time arguing with you when you lack the honesty and intelligence necessary to talk about your religion?

More qualified christian people and authorities have conceded that there are certain issues in the bible that are harmful to society. For instance , the Baptist, Anglican and catholic churches have all apologized for their roles in slavery. Before you muster any silly rebuttal just know that without those three churches, there would be nothing like christianity in Nigeria. You wouldn't be a Christian in the first place.

Priests who have gone through rigorous theological studies readily admit the many archaic and barbaric rulings contained in the old testament. Those were laws made for ancient men with archaic philosophies.

You are not impressing anyone with your dubious ways.
I didn't ask you to argue with me, and I didn't expect you to want to. Your posting history suggests to me that discussion with Christians is little more than an opportunity for you to pour abuse and insults on us, so I didn't answer you with much expectation that we were going to have any kind of reasonable conversation. I did mainly for the sake of other readers.

I don't think we've met, and it would be quite curious to see how you know so much about me from just my posting history. You even know my qualifications enough to decide their quality relative to other Christians. More than that, you also know exactly how experts in theology are known, so much so that once a priest says something, all Christians must of necessity be bound by it. It's pretty amazing how great your own qualifications must be.

Regardless, as you yourself said of another, if you won't waste your time arguing with me, then don't waste your time arguing with me. It's highly unusual that you are here talking to me, if I'm not worth your time.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Born2Freak(f): 12:33pm On Aug 19, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

I didn't ask you to argue with me, and I didn't expect you to want to. Your posting history suggests to me that discussion with Christians is little more than an opportunity for you to pour abuse and insults on us, so I didn't answer you with much expectation that we were going to have any kind of reasonable conversation. I did mainly for the sake of other readers.

I don't think we've met, and it would be quite curious to see how you know so much about me from just my posting history.

You even know my qualifications enough to decide their quality relative to other Christians. More than that, you also know exactly how experts in theology are known, so much so that once a priest says something, all Christians must of necessity be bound by it. It's pretty amazing how great your own qualifications must be.

Regardless, as you yourself said of another, if you won't waste your time arguing with me, then don't waste your time arguing with me. It's highly unusual that you are here talking to me, if I'm not worth your time.

There remains a difference between arguing and talking. I am just stating my opinions based on what you have written so far. And so far, it is disappointing to say the least.

I will give you two pieces of advice

1. Learn some humility. You are not more Christian than the catholic church or the Baptist church or the Anglican church. You are not more Christian than the Pope. You are not more Christian than priests who have gone to seminaries and gone through rigorous theology. Even Jesus was humble enough to be baptised by someone else. There people and institutions are authorities in christianity. You are but a Nigerian Christian following an outdated version of christianity mixed with Nigerian culture.

2. Go through this thread and reread your comments with regards to criticism of christianity on: gay rights, churches not paying taxes and subverting national laws. Try and review your replies and ask yourself if they were honest.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Ihedinobi3: 12:39pm On Aug 19, 2019
Born2Freak:

There remains a difference between arguing and talking. I am just stating my opinions based on what you have written so far. And so far, it is disappointing to say the least.

I will give you two pieces of advice

1. Learn some humility. You are not more Christian than the catholic church or the Baptist church or the Anglican church. You are not more Christian than the Pope. You are not more Christian than priests who have gone to seminaries and gone through rigorous theology. Even Jesus was humble enough to be baptised by someone else. There people and institutions are authorities in christianity. You are but a Nigerian Christian following an outdated version of christianity mixed with Nigerian culture.

2. Go through this thread and reread your comments with regards to criticism of christianity on: gay rights, churches not paying taxes and subverting national laws. Try and review your replies and ask yourself if they were honest.

I'm not entirely sure what the difference here is.

As for disappointing you, I assure you that that never crossed my mind when I made my comments here. I was trying not to disappoint Somebody else entirely. His opinion is what matters to me, not quite yours.

As for your advice,

1. I don't believe that you are competent to judge Christians.

2. I'm not responsible to make your observations and arguments for you.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Born2Freak(f): 12:57pm On Aug 19, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

I'm not entirely sure what the difference here is.

As for disappointing you, I assure you that that never crossed my mind when I made my comments here. I was trying not to disappoint Somebody else entirely. His opinion is what matters to me, not quite yours.

As for your advice,

1. I don't believe that you are competent to judge Christians.

2. I'm not responsible to make your observations and arguments for you.

Believe what you will but facts will remain facts.

The simple fact is that the catholic church, Baptist and Anglican church all have vast authority over you when it comes to christianity. This authority remains whether I am competent enough to judge Christians or not.

I have been a Christian. Catholic and protestant. Have you ever been an atheist? Be humble and think before you judge others' competence.

Lastly, even your Methodist church struggled with the issue of slavery.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Ihedinobi3: 1:10pm On Aug 19, 2019
Born2Freak:

Believe what you will but facts will remain facts.

The simple fact is that the catholic church, Baptist and Anglican church all have vast authority over you when it comes to christianity. This authority remains whether I am competent enough to judge Christians or not.

I have been a Christian. Catholic and protestant. Have you ever been an atheist? Be humble and think before you judge others' competence.

Lastly, even your Methodist church struggled with the issue of slavery.
Thank you, I believe I will. And I completely agree that facts will never be anything but facts.

Of course I have absolutely no reason or inclination to believe that the Roman, Baptist, and Anglican churches have any kind of authority over me as a Christian. I certainly won't believe it just because you said so.

As for having been a Christian, both Catholic and Protestant, good for you or bad for you, as the case may be. I don't quite see what that has to do with anything, unless you mean by it that you know something about what it means to be a Christian, in which case, I would say that while I think you may know some rudimentary things about it, you certainly don't know enough to either advise me or judge Christians.

As for being an atheist, I don't test things just because they are there to be tested. I may as well shoot myself in the head just to see what it's like. I have no interest or incentive to try atheism. What I do know about it makes it exceptionally distasteful to me anyway.

I'm not sure what your comment about the Methodist church is supposed to accomplish. I may have been born and raised in that church, but I'm no longer a part of it or of any other traditional denomination. Its purported struggles with slavery have nothing to do with me or my Faith in Jesus Christ.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Born2Freak(f): 1:28pm On Aug 19, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Thank you, I believe I will. And I completely agree that facts will never be anything but facts.

Of course I have absolutely no reason or inclination to believe that the Roman, Baptist, and Anglican churches have any kind of authority over me as a Christian. I certainly won't believe it just because you said so.

As for having been a Christian, both Catholic and Protestant, good for you or bad for you, as the case may be. I don't quite see what that has to do with anything, unless you mean by it that you know something about what it means to be a Christian, in which case, I would say that while I think you may know some rudimentary things about it, you certainly don't know enough to either advise me or judge Christians.

As for being an atheist, I don't test things just because they are there to be tested. I may as well shoot myself in the head just to see what it's like. I have no interest or incentive to try atheism. What I do know about it makes it exceptionally distasteful to me anyway.

I'm not sure what your comment about the Methodist church is supposed to accomplish. I may have been born and raised in that church, but I'm no longer a part of it or of any other traditional denomination. Its purported struggles with slavery have nothing to do with me or my Faith in Jesus Christ.

You question my competence in judging Christians. But I have been a Christian.

But on the other hand, you judge atheists and yet you have never been an atheist. No experience whatsoever.

Also take a look at the denials you have made and the hole you have dug for yourself. You have denied the catholic church, the Baptist church, the Anglican church and the Methodist church.

All their doctrines have nothing to do with you and your christianity.

When you deny over 90% of traditional christianity, what do you have left?

I rest my case. Goodbye. I shall quote you no more on this thread.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Ihedinobi3: 2:01pm On Aug 19, 2019
Born2Freak:

You question my competence in judging Christians. But I have been a Christian.

But on the other hand, you judge atheists and yet you have never been an atheist. No experience whatsoever.

Also take a look at the denials you have made and the hole you have dug for yourself. You have denied the catholic church, the Baptist church, the Anglican church and the Methodist church.

All their doctrines have nothing to do with you and your christianity.

When you deny over 90% of traditional christianity, what do you have left?

I rest my case. Goodbye. I shall quote you no more on this thread.
You're right, you were making a case for your competence in judging Christianity and my lack thereof in judging atheism. Forgive me, I'm multitasking here.

As for your case for your competence, as I said, I don't believe you ever knew enough to judge Christians or Christianity. Christianity is a more complex affair than, say, neurobiology or quantum physics. That is partly the reason that there aren't many people who want to really get into it. Some people even believe that being born into a home with Christian parents makes you a Christian! And that is what they stand on to claim expertise in Christianity! There are some that think that the passage of time since they made the choice to believe in Jesus is what makes them mature Christians. I could go on and on about the weird ideas that people have about Christianity, but to know what is true about Christianity, all anyone has to do is look at the Bible. The Bible is a very complex document. Its complexity has led some people who were too arrogant to take the trouble of learning the Bible the way that anything ought to be learned to claim that it is contradictory and even contemptible in some respects. Of course, when they are pressed to show how any of their claims about it is true, they crumble under the pressure.

It takes more than just some familiarity with some institutions and acquaintance with authority figures to actually know what Christianity is about. What it takes is deliberate, painstaking scholarship under the right teachers, just like Joshua under Moses, Elisha under Elijah, the Eleven under the Lord Jesus, and Timothy under Paul, to name very few examples in the Bible. Otherwise, one only pretends to know much that they have not a single clue about.

This is what leads many immature believers, that is, people who actually made the choice to believe in Jesus Christ but did not progress beyond that basic choice to attain a basic comprehension of what Jesus Christ is really about, to eventually throw their faith away under pressure from life in this world and from the enemies of the Lord Jesus too.

For this reason, I don't believe that your previous affiliation with any Christian institutions, rightly or wrongly so-called, means that you know enough to be able to judge Christ or the Christians who follow Him.

As for my own competence to judge atheism, every atheist I have debated and every definition of atheism that I have come across has held, nay, insisted that atheism is a simple concept: a rejection of the existence of Deity. I can't see what's complex in that rejection. It does have wide-ranging implications that pretty much every atheist I have debated appears ignorant of, maybe deliberately, maybe accidentally, but the concept itself is simple. As such, I can judge atheism without ever being an atheist, just as I can judge the person with a loaded gun in his mouth without ever attempting the action myself.

As for the hole that you perceive that I have dug myself into, that is only an exhibit for my argument that you are incompetent to judge Christianity. If all the churches that I reject are themselves Christianity, such that I cannot be a Christian without being part of them in some way, then where did they themselves arise from? None of these churches existed two thousand years ago. The oldest of them came into existence more than two or even three hundred years after the Resurrection of the Lord Jesus. So, what makes them the authority? Nothing at all. The authority in Christianity is the Bible. This oldest church that I just alluded to, the Roman, claims to be the originator of the Bible, but that is probably the biggest lie in the world right now. The Bible existed prior to the formation of the Church and was well-known to all serious Christians before ever anyone took it into their heads to claim that any council or synod compiled the Canon. So, how then is the Roman church any kind of authority over me? Much less the Anglican, Baptist, or Methodist?

These churches do believe some things that I do, but they have a host of beliefs and teachings that are entirely incompatible with what I find in the Bible and believe. That is why I can reject them. In rejecting them while holding to the Bible, I actually have all, that is, 100% of pure Christianity left and none of the insanity that goes with trusting arrogant humans regarding the oracles of God.

As for not quoting me anymore, thank you for your time then.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Born2Freak(f): 4:26am On Sep 13, 2019
Smh
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by JeromeBlack: 5:32pm On Sep 13, 2019
Ihedinobi3 never disappoints with his misunderstanding of the issue and his consistent denial of problems in christianity.

A fanatic is never wrong.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Ihedinobi3: 5:57pm On Sep 13, 2019
JeromeBlack:
Ihedinobi3 never disappoints with his misunderstanding of the issue and his consistent denial of problems in christianity.

A fanatic is never wrong.
I totally agree with you that a fanatic is never wrong. Your first paragraph here is more proof of that.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by JeromeBlack: 6:00pm On Sep 13, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

I totally agree with you that a fanatic is never wrong. Your first paragraph here is more proof of that.

So you are agreeing that you are a fanatic because of my first paragraph that states that you consistently deny problems in christianity?
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Ihedinobi3: 6:02pm On Sep 13, 2019
JeromeBlack:

So you are agreeing that you are a fanatic because of my first paragraph that states that you consistently deny problems in christianity?
Oh no. I was only saying that your constant accusations of me, as though just by making such accusations they become true, are proof of your own fanaticism.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by JeromeBlack: 6:07pm On Sep 13, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Oh no. I was only saying that your constant accusations of me, as though just by making such accusations they become true, are proof of your own fanaticism.

Am I the only one saying that you consistently misunderstand and deny? No.

Your comments on this thread are evidence for my claims.

Imagine a Christian like yourself claiming that the bible is not concerned with politics. Such a clear denial of what is actually in the bible.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Ihedinobi3: 6:13pm On Sep 13, 2019
JeromeBlack:

Am I the only one saying that you consistently misunderstand and deny? No.

Your comments on this thread are evidence for my claims.

Imagine a Christian like yourself claiming that the bible is not concerned with politics. Such a clear denial of what is actually in the bible.

As I always say, it makes little difference that more than one hater of the Truth is commenting on the Truth. The attitude is the same. It's like expecting more a crowd of rabid PDP men to disagree with each other about how good APC is. They cannot. So, the fact that others who are just like you claim the same thing that you do about me or accuse me of the same things that you do too is of little consequence.

As for my comments being evidence of your claims, that is easy enough to say. Can you actually show how they are? That is the question.

If you know any part of the Bible that teaches believers to be involved in politics, by all means, show it to me, and I will repent my earlier stance.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by JeromeBlack: 8:56pm On Sep 13, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

As I always say, it makes little difference that more than one hater of the Truth is commenting on the Truth. The attitude is the same. It's like expecting more a crowd of rabid PDP men to disagree with each other about how good APC is. They cannot. So, the fact that others who are just like you claim the same thing that you do about me or accuse me of the same things that you do too is of little consequence.

As for my comments being evidence of your claims, that is easy enough to say. Can you actually show how they are? That is the question.

If you know any part of the Bible that teaches believers to be involved in politics, by all means, show it to me, and I will repent my earlier stance.

So, are you some kind of Jehovahs witness that does not get into any politics? No voting, no registering with the army, no pledges etc.

Jokes apart, I have bad news for you. The whole old testament is centred on theocracy: a Jewish people ruled by a God and kings/prophets who lead by His holy decree.

Even in the new testament, Jesus was killed due to Blasphemy laws.

Jesus said- "render unto caesar what is Cesar's". This is in support of people doing their duty as citizens of the state. The bible says that servants (slaves) should obey their masters.

But no, Ihedinobi3 the misunderstood denier will lie that the bible or christianity has nothing to do with politics.

You are the biggest liar I have seen on this religion section. In fact, to embarrass you, I am going to call your fellow Christians to judge your ridiculous claim about the bible and politics.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Ihedinobi3: 10:06pm On Sep 13, 2019
JeromeBlack:

So, are you some kind of Jehovahs witness that does not get into any politics? No voting, no registering with the army, no pledges etc.

Jokes apart, I have bad news for you. The whole old testament is centred on theocracy: a Jewish people ruled by a God and kings/prophets who lead by His holy decree.

Even in the new testament, Jesus was killed due to Blasphemy laws.

Jesus said- "render unto caesar what is Cesar's". This is in support of people doing their duty as citizens of the state. The bible says that servants (slaves) should obey their masters.

But no, Ihedinobi3 the misunderstood denier will lie that the bible or christianity has nothing to do with politics.

You are the biggest liar I have seen on this religion section. In fact, to embarrass you, I am going to call your fellow Christians to judge your ridiculous claim about the bible and politics.
First, of course not. I already said earlier in the thread that the Bible teaches that believers in Jesus Christ are responsible to fulfill Civic duties and obey the law as far as neither violates their responsibilities to God. So, we pay our taxes, join and fight in the army to protect the country, report crime wherever we can, etc, or, at least, we ought to do these things. Of course, it may be debated, but voting and supporting one political party against another or others is not really a duty. It is for those who like to pretend that they are kingmakers. Christians will respect any king or civil authority, but we don't, or should not, involve ourselves in the murky business of politics. That goes against our Hope in this world.

Second, I'm not sure what makes your second paragraph bad news. If you made a point here, I missed it.

As for Israel, I'm too tapped out right now to explain that nation all over again, so I'm just going to copy-paste and link another conversation for you to read, if it really bothers you that much.

Israel was God's Project. The Pentateuch (Genesis to Deuteronomy) describes His creation of that nation and the character it was supposed to have. What we read there are the laws that were to govern that nation.

The character of that nation was supposed to be God-fearing. They were supposed to be the one nation on earth where everybody served the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the biological progenitors of the people themselves. This is just the same as America characterizing herself as the land of the free and the home of the brave. The laws were therefore written around that character. Idolatry was against the law and punishable by death. The reason was that God Himself was the King of Israel and idolatry was treason. This also means that any seduction by anybody of others into idolatry was conspiracy to commit treason and was thus also punishable by death.

Every other issue about Israel's laws is to be understood the same way.

https://www.nairaland.com/5060292/why-muslim-apologists-usually-win#76398956

So, I do know that Israel was a theocracy. I also know that Israel was a special case. And I know that there is no nation like that ancient theocracy existing on earth right now. So, there is no call whatsoever for Christians to act like the nations they live in are that Israel, they are not.

Our kingdom is not of this world. It is yet to come. When it comes, it will rule the entire world. Until it does, the politics of this world is none of our business.

As for proving that I am a liar, please knock yourself out.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by sonmvayina(m): 10:32pm On Sep 13, 2019
Being a Christian or a Muslim is like a woman marrying the man that raped her mother...

Tufiakwa

1 Like

Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by JeromeBlack: 2:19am On Sep 14, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Israel was God's Project. The Pentateuch (Genesis to Deuteronomy) describes His creation of that nation and the character it was supposed to have. What we read there are the laws that were to govern that nation.

The character of that nation was supposed to be God-fearing. They were supposed to be the one nation on earth where everybody served the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the biological progenitors of the people themselves. This is just the same as America characterizing herself as the land of the free and the home of the brave. The laws were therefore written around that character. Idolatry was against the law and punishable by death. The reason was that God Himself was the King of Israel and idolatry was treason. This also means that any seduction by anybody of others into idolatry was conspiracy to commit treason and was thus also punishable by death.

Every other issue about Israel's laws is to be understood the same way.

I wanted to ignore your comment and call other Christians to this thread but after seeing the nonsense you wrote, it is too much of an opportunity for me to pass up.

You say that Isreal was Gods project? Excuse me, so what was Africa to this same God that you are unwittingly describing as a racist? The Africa that existed long before isreal

So what happened to giving the same laws to Africans?

Are you aware that igbo culture is older than Jewish culture?

Do you just write epistles without thinking?
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Ihedinobi3: 10:46am On Sep 14, 2019
JeromeBlack:

I wanted to ignore your comment and call other Christians to this thread but after seeing the nonsense you wrote, it is too much of an opportunity for me to pass up.

You say that Isreal was Gods project? Excuse me, so what was Africa to this same God that you are unwittingly describing as a racist? The Africa that existed long before isreal

So what happened to giving the same laws to Africans?

Are you aware that igbo culture is older than Jewish culture?

Do you just write epistles without thinking?
I don't know what your source(s) is(are), or what its(their) authority is, so I can't quite address your claims with any seriousness. I refer to your claim of the relative ages of Igbo and ancient Israelite cultures.

As for why God chose Israel, Abraham was an outstanding man in his generation. In a world that was filled to overflowing with rebellion against God's Authority, where human beings, including Abraham's own immediate family had chosen to worship other gods, Abraham chose instead to worship the true God. So, God chose him to be the progenitor of the special nation through which He would bring forth the world's Savior. That was what made Israel special.

God does not violate anybody's free will. If anyone prefers to rebel against God, God will allow them to, as far as He is pleased to give them opportunity to exercise their free will to the point that it is clear what they have chosen eternally. If other nations at the time of Abraham demonstrated that they would remain violently hostile to God, then why should God handle them specially? They were His Enemies. They certainly did not want Him ruling over them. But Abraham did. And he raised his family to have the same disposition toward God as he did.

We see Abraham going to incredible lengths to prove his allegiance to God. We see Isaac, his promised son, follow in his footsteps. We even see Jacob, a very dramatic example in that line, also demonstrate the same thing. Even the twelve sons of Jacob, who all start out with very little interest in their father's God, eventually prove to see the sense in submitting to Him as well, although they took a tortuous route to get there themselves. This was a family that chose to serve the Lord God, even through a twisting history of initial and occasional rebellion against Him.

Do you see any of that in any other nation's history? The entire world banded together in rebellion against God in the days around the time Peleg, Abraham's great-great-great-grandfather, was born. This was in the matter of the Tower of Babel, which occurred not more than
101 years after the Flood. That is, very soon after God had demonstrated His Great Power and complete rejection of any rebellion against Him, even while Noah and his family, who saw the world that God destroyed with the Flood before it was destroyed, still lived, human beings were already massing in rebellion against God again. That was what led to God's creation of nations through His creation of languages.

Each nation simply crafted their own brand of rebellion and carried on with it, although because of the confusion of languages now, it was harder now for human beings to unite in rebellion against God. This was the situation that Abraham was born into 292 years after the Flood. His father Terah was an idolater himself. By the time that Abraham was travelling the lands around him 75 years later with his own family, he had to be careful because of the hostility that people had toward God. He feared for his life right up to the point of presenting Sarah as his sister to avoid lustful men killing him to take her from him. This was the kind of world that surrounded him. Only one person is noted by the Bible to have been different: Melchizedek, the priest-king who worshipped the same God that Abraham did.

So, why exactly should anyone think that God was obliged to treat all other nations like they were His People? Only Abraham's Family welcomed His Authority and submitted to Him, as far as we see from the Bible. By the time that the Israelite family had grown into a nation possibly 1 million people strong in Egypt, God was talking about going to war with the gods of Egypt. By that time too, the rebellion of all the Canaanite nations had grown so great that it was time to judge them by destroying them.

Maybe the Igbo nation existed then, I don't know. The Bible does not say. Contemporary historical evidence puts the earliest existence of a distinct Igbo people at about the 9th Century AD (Source: https://www.britannica.com/place/western-Africa/The-wider-influence-of-the-Sudanic-kingdoms#ref516320). Maybe we have been around longer. It matters nothing if we have. It wasn't age that made Israel special, it was the unflinching loyalty of her fathers to the Lord God. That was the difference. That is why Israel will always be special to God.

It is also why Israel is a theocracy. In Israel, politics was straightforward: God was the King. He made the laws. The Israelite and all residents in the land obeyed them or suffered the consequences of disobedience.

There is no other theocracy today, at least not one where the Trinity is King. Every nation today is necessarily a secular construct that has nothing to do with God's direct creation. God does rule over Creation, so He is involved in the affairs of all nations, raising up rulers and deposing them, raising up nations and debasing them. But all of this occurs through His Oversight of Creation as its Sovereign. The nations are still in rebellion against Him. Therefore, it is a bad idea for believers to get mired in their politics, which, after all, are merely their pretence to power and authority without God.
Re: Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 7:08am On Dec 17, 2022
JeromeBlack:
1. You say that Isreal was Gods project? Excuse me, so what was Africa to this same God that you are unwittingly describing as a racist? The Africa that existed long before isreal
2. So what happened to giving the same laws to Africans?
3. Are you aware that igbo culture is older than Jewish culture?
4. Do you just write epistles without thinking?
This is in no way an attempt to hold brief for any of the other commenters.
1. Israel is the only Nation that God laid ownership to. He literally conscripted them — Israel had no choice in the matter; they belonged to Him and He constituted a Nation of them in the Land of Canaan for His purpose. African nations belonged to Africans and their gods, but Israel belongs to YHWH. undecided
2. What for? Again, God is God of Israel. Of what benefit would He have been to say Africans when Africans have their own gods? undecided
3. And so? Must God cower then because, according to you, the Igbo culture is older than the Jewish culture? Did He somehow give you the idea that this was some sort of competition between cultures? undecided
4. Please do some thinking yourself as well. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Lies Of The Garden Of Eden - A Logical View / How Atheists Handle Morality In The Absence Of God / Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.