Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:01 AM

This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) (53203 Views)

Why Do We Have To Raise Airplane Window Blinds Before Landing? / In A Plane At 30,000ft & Pilots Are Fighting Like This, What Will You Do?(Pic) / Photos Of The New Aircraft Launched By Air Peace As Nigerian Pilots Make History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by frozen70(f): 8:50am On Nov 16, 2018
This is a great knowledge, now I know why those white things normally appear in a plane
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Temidayo9(m): 8:51am On Nov 16, 2018
Your explanation is correct, but that's not the reason for white track seen in the sky when the plane fly
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Temidayo9(m): 8:53am On Nov 16, 2018
frozen70:
This is a great knowledge, now I know why those white things normally appear in a plane
His explanation may be wrong
Check this https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/why-do-airplanes-leave-tracks-in-the-sky
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Temidayo9(m): 8:54am On Nov 16, 2018
TechCapon:
TechCapon

EMERGENCY

For example, a plane that’s suppose to fly from Lagos to New York city loads enough fuel to reach their destination. Everything is going fine then suddenly a pregnant woman who is on board goes into labor. If there’s no nurse on board and the flight attendants cannot handle the issue, the only choice will be to make an emergency landing.

The flight crew will alert the pilots on the situation and the pilots will have to land in the nearest airport. The first thing the pilots will check is the weight of the aircraft. For an aircraft that has enough fuel to reach New York, of course the landing weight will be far above normal. In this scenario, the pilot must dump enough fuel in order to reduce the weight of the aircraft before landing.

The pilots have no choice. There are 3 things that add weight to an aircraft. Passengers, luggage and fuel. Obviously the pilots cannot dump passengers. Neither can they dump cargo (except in very rare cases), the only option is to dump fuel.

The pilot will dump the fuel, make the emergency landing in order to get the pregnant woman to the hospital, refuel before they can continue the journey. Of course dumping fuel is a big loss to the airline companies. They lose big money anytime these things occur but it’s better to dump fuel than land an overweight aircraft thereby damaging the aircraft or jeopardizing the lives of everyone on board.

SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/this-is-the-major-reason-why-pilots-dump-fuel-before-landing/

lalasticlala
mynd44
dominique
Kindly check this out https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/why-do-airplanes-leave-tracks-in-the-sky
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 8:55am On Nov 16, 2018
TechCapon:
grin
i think you should come up with points backing your claims or apologise for this blatant misleading information.
We highly await your response

4 Likes

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by nky039: 8:55am On Nov 16, 2018
good one
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by McEphiks(m): 8:55am On Nov 16, 2018
NaijaFutbol:
Why is Op misleading the public about Contrails?

Fuel dumping is very very rare while contrails are very common.

Seen mostly in more temperate areas than the tropics they are formed by warm jet exhaust forming a differently colored cloud as they condense.

@techcapon

OP is right. I just confirmed on Wikipedia.

Thumbs up OP, thanks for the enlightenment.

1 Like

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Talknochip(m): 8:57am On Nov 16, 2018
Its Fuel and is not Fuel..... which one we go believe now?! How pesin go take collect all im 'likes' back now?

2 Likes

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Senatorwo7(m): 8:57am On Nov 16, 2018
frozen70:
. D op is very wrong n I see many mugus cheering

1 Like

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Temidayo9(m): 8:57am On Nov 16, 2018
Hotfreeze:
White clouds behind airplanes aren't fuel, don't let the OP mislead you.

Those white streaks planes leave behind are actually artificial clouds. They're called contrails, which is a shortened version of the phrase “condensation trail." Airplane engines produce exhaust, just like car engines do. As hot exhaust gases escape from a plane, the water vapor in the fumes hits the air.

TechCapon, stick to your tech blogging about chargers and earpieces and stop misleading people. You think pilots dump fuel indiscriminately? Nigger thinks aviation fuel is tap water.
Don't mind OP check this out.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-do-jets-leave-a-white/
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Temidayo9(m): 8:58am On Nov 16, 2018
McEphiks:

OP is very wrong
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-do-jets-leave-a-white/
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 8:59am On Nov 16, 2018
McEphiks:

how is he right?pilots only dump fuel on emergencies,not all that payload,takeoff weight mumbo jumbo he was yapping about.
Do you know what could happen if a plane crashlands with all that fuel in it?yeah,you guessed right,we gon a see a huge fireball in the air

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by adelacuna(m): 9:00am On Nov 16, 2018
Very educative
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by aadoiza: 9:00am On Nov 16, 2018
somto10:
I never enter plane b4 na
hw i go take kno?
You no dey look up in the sky?
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by adelacuna(m): 9:01am On Nov 16, 2018
Thanks for the knowledge
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 9:02am On Nov 16, 2018
Keep it up. Good job and very insightful
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Jsj454: 9:02am On Nov 16, 2018
Not quite true. The trails you see are products of condensation after hot exhaust gases exiting the engines interact with the cold atmospheric air at that height.

2 Likes

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by SarkinYarki: 9:02am On Nov 16, 2018
TechCapon:
TechCapon

Have you ever looked up and saw an aircraft flying with long white lines like gas behind it ? I’ve seen it many times and what the aeroplane is doing is called fuel dumping. Now you’ll be wondering why pilots will dump fuel considering the fact that aviation fuel is very expensive and also causes serious pollution to the environment. In this post techcapon be explaining to you why it is necessary for the pilots to dump fuel sometimes.

Now this also includes our local airlines in Nigeria like DANA, AERO etc. Although fuel dumping is more common with airlines that travel long distances and make international flights. Before take-off, the airline do the maths. They calculate how much fuel is needed to the aircraft to complete their journey and they fill the aircraft tanks with enough fuel to make the complete their journey. There are some terms I’ll like to explain in this post for you to understand how it works.

Dry operating weight: This is the weight of the plane without fuel, passengers or luggage.

Payload: This is the weight of the passengers and their luggage

Zero fuel weight: This is the weight of the fuel needed to reach their final destination including reserve.

Dry operating weight + Payload + Zero fuel load = Take-off weight

Take-off weight MUST always be greater than landing weight

The major reason why pilots dump fuel is because the landing weight of the plane exceeds the maximum. Inside the cockpit, pilots have a meter that tells them the weight of the aircraft at all times. For example, Boeing 747 aircrafts have a maximum landing weight of 312000kg.

Anything above that weight will cause the aircraft to suffer serious damage during landing or even crash during landing. Infact, if the maximum take-off weight is above 312000kg, the cockpit will blink red lights and give the pilots warning. The question on your mind right now will be, if the airline calculates how much fuel is needed to arrive their destination, why dump fuel before arriving ? The answer is simple.

Pleae correct yourself, that white trail behind a plane is called a CONTRAIL and it's actually condensation caused by hot gases reacting with humid air .... When planes dump fuel it's done from nozzles at the wing tip and you can see it from the ground ...please fix your post it's very misleading

4 Likes

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by mikaael(m): 9:03am On Nov 16, 2018
TechCapon:
TechCapon

EMERGENCY

For example, a plane that’s suppose to fly from Lagos to New York city loads enough fuel to reach their destination. Everything is going fine then suddenly a pregnant woman who is on board goes into labor. If there’s no nurse on board and the flight attendants cannot handle the issue, the only choice will be to make an emergency landing.

The flight crew will alert the pilots on the situation and the pilots will have to land in the nearest airport. The first thing the pilots will check is the weight of the aircraft. For an aircraft that has enough fuel to reach New York, of course the landing weight will be far above normal. In this scenario, the pilot must dump enough fuel in order to reduce the weight of the aircraft before landing.

The pilots have no choice. There are 3 things that add weight to an aircraft. Passengers, luggage and fuel. Obviously the pilots cannot dump passengers. Neither can they dump cargo (except in very rare cases), the only option is to dump fuel.

The pilot will dump the fuel, make the emergency landing in order to get the pregnant woman to the hospital, refuel before they can continue the journey. Of course dumping fuel is a big loss to the airline companies. They lose big money anytime these things occur but it’s better to dump fuel than land an overweight aircraft thereby damaging the aircraft or jeopardizing the lives of everyone on board.

SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/this-is-the-major-reason-why-pilots-dump-fuel-before-landing/

lalasticlala
mynd44
dominique

God bless you for this info bro...the best I've read so far...we used to playfully shout 'rocket is passing' wen we sight the planes wit white smoke

1 Like

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by stankezzy: 9:04am On Nov 16, 2018
As an engineer , there are some parts that does not add up in the write up , if he said the maximum take off weight is 312000kg and the maximum landing weight is also 312000kg , and that any over weight will indicate , it then mean that the air craft can't take off with weight exceeding the maximum so why dump expensive fuel if u take off with maximum and will land with same maximum , abi plane de add weight for air or some passengers go enter for cloud?

1 Like

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by McEphiks(m): 9:04am On Nov 16, 2018
Temidayo9:
OP is very wrong https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-do-jets-leave-a-white/

Drop me a link from Wikipedia. Till then Shalom!
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by mikaael(m): 9:04am On Nov 16, 2018
TechCapon:
TechCapon

EMERGENCY

lalasticlala
mynd44
dominique
God bless you for this info bro...the best I've read so far...we used to playfully shout 'rocket is passing' wen we sight the planes wit white smoke

3 Likes

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by obailala(m): 9:07am On Nov 16, 2018
McEphiks:

OP's post isn't wrong (cos fuel dump also creates white trails), but it's very misleading. That is because 90% of the times you see those white trails, it's actually contrails and not fuel dumping; fuel dumping happens only very rarely.

4 Likes

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by skydeexie(m): 9:07am On Nov 16, 2018
OboOlora:
Techcapon!!!!!!!!!!!!

We go fight oh. Abeg nor de run away abeg, posts like this are the reasons I come to frontpage

Not Timaya is fighting Tuface or DBanj is on his way to Haiti and all those other bull crap!

Or even craps as Bobrisky appearing in a jump suit if I may add.
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by McEphiks(m): 9:08am On Nov 16, 2018
nwanneni:
how is he right?pilots only dump fuel on emergencies,not all that payload,takeoff weight mumbo jumbo he was yapping about.
Do you know what could happen if a plane crashlands with all that fuel in it?yeah,you guessed right,we gon a see a huge fireball in the air

Fuel dumping (or a fuel jettison ) is a procedure used by aircraft in certain emergency situations before a return to the airport shortly after takeoff, or before landing short of its intended destination ( emergency landing) to reduce the aircraft's weight .
Aircraft fuel dump
Aircraft have two major types of weight limits: the maximum takeoff weight and the maximum structural landing weight , with the maximum structural landing weight almost always being the lower of the two. This allows an aircraft on a normal, routine flight to take off at the higher weight, consume fuel en route, and arrive at a lower weight. There are other variables involving takeoff and landing weights, but they are omitted from this article for the sake of simplicity.
It is the abnormal, non-routine flight where landing weight can be a problem. If a flight takes off at the maximum takeoff weight and then faces a situation where it must return to the departure airport (due to certain mechanical problems, or a passenger medical problem for instance), there will not be time to consume the fuel meant for getting to the original destination, and the aircraft may exceed the maximum landing weight to land at the departure point. If an aircraft lands at more than its maximum allowable weight it might suffer structural damage, or even break apart on landing. At the very least, an overweight landing would require a thorough inspection for damage.

Source: Wikipedia

1 Like

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by SarkinYarki: 9:09am On Nov 16, 2018
dadalicious:
Ignorance is really a disease.
When I wa younger, anytime I see that whitish clouds from an airplane, I always thought it was a jet moving very fast.
Thank bro for enlightenment

You are not ignorant the OP is the ignorant one , those white trails are actually called CONTRAILs and they happen when hot jet exhausts hit cool moist air and cause condensation..... fuel dumping from planes is a very controlled procedure and you can see it from the ground I assure you
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 9:09am On Nov 16, 2018
Thank you, many would have asked for a token for this brilliant lecture. grin grin grin
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by asmovic(m): 9:11am On Nov 16, 2018
cyclops:
shows technology is still a baby, dumping fuel is still d solution.

kinda feel like engineers n fuel sellers working hand to hand here.

record ur tracks with
house 10 studio
lagos egbeda
always try to appreciate things. am sure you didn't know about this before. moreover what technology have you improved on before? your studio?
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by SarkinYarki: 9:12am On Nov 16, 2018
frozen70:

Please he is totally wrong , those white trails are called CONTRAILs and it's actually condensation caused by hot exhaust gases from the jet engine mixing with cool moist air ...when planes dump fuel you can never see it from the ground even passenger near the dump nozzle find it hard to see it properly
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by SarkinYarki: 9:14am On Nov 16, 2018
McEphiks:

Are you drunk ? Those white trails are called CONTRAILs and not fuel dumping
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by TechCapon(m): 9:14am On Nov 16, 2018
SarkinYarki:

You are not ignorant the OP is the ignorant one , those white trails are actually called CONTRAILs and they happen when hot jet exhausts hit cool moist air and cause condensation..... fuel dumping from planes is a very controlled procedure and you can see it from the ground I assure you
I know what contrail is. Stop making fool of yourself. Are you saying that fuel dumping never occurs or what?

3 Likes

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by afamaustin(m): 9:14am On Nov 16, 2018
dadalicious:
Ignorance is really a disease.
When I wa younger, anytime I see that whitish clouds from an airplane, I always thought it was a jet moving very fast.
Thank bro for enlightenment
me too

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ikorodu Pedestrian Bridge Collapses (Pictures) / Trailer And Fuel Tanker Collide On Suleja-Minna Road (Photos) / Muhammadu Buhari International Airport In Ebonyi Constructed By Governor Umahi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.