Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,561 members, 7,827,094 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

5 Things I Wish I Knew About Making Money Online - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 5 Things I Wish I Knew About Making Money Online (1112 Views)

5 Things I Have Given Up Due To The Increasing Price / 5 Lies About Making Money Online That You Have Been Told / The Truth About Making Money On Fiverr As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things I Wish I Knew About Making Money Online by iwriterng(m): 11:46pm On Nov 16, 2018
I have been in the online space since 2011.

I had to mention that, so you would be rest assured that I have been around for a while, and I have done a whole lot of things, ranging from freelancing to forex trading, to blogging, as well as affiliate marketing and SEO.

The truth is, the same strategy applies to all these businesses; both online and offline. And in today’s post, I would be sharing the top 10 things I wish I knew about making money online.

If I had access to this sort of information when I was starting out, two things would have probably happened; it’s either I give up on the idea of getting started, or I assume a more realistic expectation of what would happen at different phases.

It goes without saying, that my goal in this article is to simply enlighten you about the online space, and how making money online really works. I would be plainly sincere with you because I am not trying to sell you anything whatsoever, which makes it easy for me to tell you the truth and the truth alone.

It is my hope that after reading this article, you would be well informed about what it takes to make money online, and how to specifically guide your actions and expectation towards online businesses, if you eventually decide to embark on one.

#1. No Overnight Success.
I decided to put this as number one because I cannot stress it enough. I offer amazon affiliate niche site training every now and then, and the first thing I tell my student is that making money online is NOT an overnight thing.

It takes time. Sometimes, it takes more time than a regular business. As a matter of fact, it usually takes more time than normal offline business.

What I am trying to imply is this; if you’re interested in a business that would make you thousands of dollars in two months or so, then you should look away from an online business because you won’t find any. You might want to call my bluff on this, but it is the truth.

If you’re this desperate to make that kind of money within a short period of time, then stay away from any online business. If anybody is preaching this kind of business to you, I can bet it; 9 out of 10 that they’re interested in milking you of your resources.

Online business; like every other business takes time and consistent effort…

…more on the consistent effort…

Things take time; especially now that the competition is much stiffer than it used to be.

If you’re just starting out, have it at the back of your mind, that you might have to grind for a year before you start seeing appreciable results. This is not to negate the fact that, some people make huge success within four (4) months, or six (6) months. But coming from somebody that has seen a project of over one year not take off, and also a project of 3 months take off, I’d say you should settle for anything above one year.

#2. You Need Money
Is it possible to start an offline business with zero capital?

Maybe some businesses can be done with zero capital, but frankly speaking, you NEED money to start any business, if you’re really serious about making a reasonable income from it in the nearest future.

I currently train students on Amazon affiliate marketing and SEO, and one of the major ideas of filtering students to serious ones is by charging about #10,000 for the course. The truth is, the cost of the training doesn’t matter much to me, I can as well give out the course for free. I wouldn’t feel the impact because I have other sources of income.

But I have since realised that money is needed to make money online, and as such, I need to bring in students that are not extremely broke to finance their online hustle.

Let me clear that up a little bit, before you have my head…

It’s ok to be broke and have dreams, heck! I used to be the most broke person I know. But aside from being broke, I did not understand the basis of hustle. I was broke, and would never invest money into any online business or training because I lived with the mentality that online business does not require money.

Now, I know better.

If you want to invest in any online business, be prepared to spend money, as if it’s a regular offline business. Be ready to raise the capital needed to get you educated about the business, as well as the money needed to set up the business itself.

Interested in blogging? be ready to spend money on hosting and domain, on hiring a designer for your logo, on getting the tools needed to keep your blog running.

Interested in affiliate marketing? be ready to spend on training and other tools and cost associated with setting up your sales funnel.

#3. Avoid Shinning Object Syndrome
All you need is a single system that works!

See! there are hundreds of ways to make money online. In fact, you can literally make money from an idea online. From writing to programming, to design, to affiliate marketing, to voice over, to animation, it is a very long list, and each of these methods has it’s pros and cons.

But one problem I had when I started was what I now call “Shinning Object Syndrome” which I will refer to as SOS henceforth.

SOS is a terrible problem for most newbies online, today you ready about a guy that made $1,000 daily from bitcoin, and then you start to think about going into the cryptocurrency businesses, then tomorrow you read about a guy that made $50,000 freelancing for a year, and then you remember how good of a writer you are, and you decide to try out freelancing.

It happened to the best of us when we first started. We want to do everything, and usually, we ended up doing very little.

Avoid falling into this pit. Be determined and focus on one thing and one thing only.

Let me give you an example; I have been promoting my course about making money from amazon affiliate niche site, but then out of the blue, somebody called me and wanted to hire me to help their publishing company publish their books on amazon.

While I know how to get this done, and the offer sounds extremely nice, I politely declined because it does not align with my current interest.

You should learn to focus on one thing that interest you at a time. Failing to do this will result into you wasting a lot of time jumping from one idea to the other, which at the end of the day will not amount to any profit.

#4. Learn The Basics
No matter your choice of online business, there are some skills that you would always need on the fly. If you don’t master these skills early enough, you would be spending a lot of money outsourcing to get people to do it for you.

While outsourcing is a good thing, in fact it is one of the things that would push your online business to the next level, you should also realise that, your early days spending would be on a shoe string budget.

Aside from the financial consequences of outsourcing, doing things yourself will go a long way in establishing your root in the business. Take for instance you’re into affiliate marketing like I am; you should be able to setup a basic website using wordpress, you should be able to work with FTP, hosting and all those technical jargons.

It doesn’t come easy, but you should learn how to get the done.

The truth is, you can learn anything online these days. All you need is a good internet connection, YouTube and Google. The rest is the amount of time you’re willing to put into the learning process.

Learn the basics, such as setting up your site, basic graphic design, how to write, and how to interact with people. These might sound mundane at first, but looking back now, I wish I mastered these things early enough.

#5. Focus On Your Strength, Outsource The Rest
This is a sharp contrast to the previous lesson.

Yes, learn the basics, it will save you money in the early days. But outsourcing is equally important, if you’re interested in going far in this business.

You must be willing to outsource some aspect of your business. Even though you can do it in the basic form, if you need a complete professional touch, or you are simple occupied with something else, then you should focus on outsourcing some of the other task.

My case for an example, I outsource some writing task, not because I cannot do the writing myself, but because more often that not, there are so many stuffs to write on, so I have to keep my sanity by getting another hand to help out.

I am not also great when it comes to graphics, in fact I suck at it, so i usually outsource that aspect of my business. My main strength is in analytics, more like the executive functioning aspect of the business, and this is what I love doing the most, because I don’t get tired of it.

Find your strength early enough and focus on it, the rest, you should outsource as much as you can.

Those are the top five (5) things I wish I knew when I was getting started with online businesses back then, the benefit of you reading this post is that, it would guide your expectation and keep you in a right mental frame as you work towards building an online empire for yourself.

If you enjoy reading this article, then don’t hesitate to share with your friends and enemies.

http://sposhmarketing.com/i-wish-i-knew-about-making-money-online/

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About Making Money Online by Laju1234: 12:02am On Nov 17, 2018
Interesting
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About Making Money Online by Nonso92(m): 12:42am On Nov 17, 2018
Better than all those recycled posts about how you can make money online,
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About Making Money Online by logadims: 10:08pm On Nov 22, 2018
iwriterng:

I had to mention that, so you would be rest assured that I have been around for a while, and I have done a whole lot of things, ranging from freelancing to forex trading, to blogging, as well as affiliate marketing and SEO.

The truth is, the same strategy applies to all these businesses; both online and offline. And in today’s post, I would be sharing the top 10 things I wish I knew about making money online.

If I had access to this sort of information when I was starting out, two things would have probably happened; it’s either I give up on the idea of getting started, or I assume a more realistic expectation of what would happen at different phases.

It goes without saying, that my goal in this article is to simply enlighten you about the online space, and how making money online really works. I would be plainly sincere with you because I am not trying to sell you anything whatsoever, which makes it easy for me to tell you the truth and the truth alone.

It is my hope that after reading this article, you would be well informed about what it takes to make money online, and how to specifically guide your actions and expectation towards online businesses, if you eventually decide to embark on one.

I decided to put this as number one because I cannot stress it enough. I offer amazon affiliate niche site training every now and then, and the first thing I tell my student is that making money online is NOT an overnight thing.

It takes time. Sometimes, it takes more time than a regular business. As a matter of fact, it usually takes more time than normal offline business.

What I am trying to imply is this; if you’re interested in a business that would make you thousands of dollars in two months or so, then you should look away from an online business because you won’t find any. You might want to call my bluff on this, but it is the truth.

If you’re this desperate to make that kind of money within a short period of time, then stay away from any online business. If anybody is preaching this kind of business to you, I can bet it; 9 out of 10 that they’re interested in milking you of your resources.

Things take time; especially now that the competition is much stiffer than it used to be.

If you’re just starting out, have it at the back of your mind, that you might have to grind for a year before you start seeing appreciable results. This is not to negate the fact that, some people make huge success within four (4) months, or six (6) months. But coming from somebody that has seen a project of over one year not take off, and also a project of 3 months take off, I’d say you should settle for anything above one year.

#2. You Need Money

Maybe some businesses can be done with zero capital, but frankly speaking, you NEED money to start any business, if you’re really serious about making a reasonable income from it in the nearest future.

I currently train students on Amazon affiliate marketing and SEO, and one of the major ideas of filtering students to serious ones is by charging about #10,000 for the course. The truth is, the cost of the training doesn’t matter much to me, I can as well give out the course for free. I wouldn’t feel the impact because I have other sources of income.

But I have since realised that money is needed to make money online, and as such, I need to bring in students that are not extremely broke to finance their online hustle.

It’s ok to be broke and have dreams, heck! I used to be the most broke person I know. But aside from being broke, I did not understand the basis of hustle. I was broke, and would never invest money into any online business or training because I lived with the mentality that online business does not require money.

Now, I know better.

If you want to invest in any online business, be prepared to spend money, as if it’s a regular offline business. Be ready to raise the capital needed to get you educated about the business, as well as the money needed to set up the business itself.

Interested in blogging? be ready to spend money on hosting and domain, on hiring a designer for your logo, on getting the tools needed to keep your blog running.

Interested in affiliate marketing? be ready to spend on training and other tools and cost associated with setting up your sales funnel.

See! there are hundreds of ways to make money online. In fact, you can literally make money from an idea online. From writing to programming, to design, to affiliate marketing, to voice over, to animation, it is a very long list, and each of these methods has it’s pros and cons.

But one problem I had when I started was what I now call “Shinning Object Syndrome” which I will refer to as SOS henceforth.

SOS is a terrible problem for most newbies online, today you ready about a guy that made $1,000 daily from bitcoin, and then you start to think about going into the cryptocurrency businesses, then tomorrow you read about a guy that made $50,000 freelancing for a year, and then you remember how good of a writer you are, and you decide to try out freelancing.

It happened to the best of us when we first started. We want to do everything, and usually, we ended up doing very little.

Avoid falling into this pit. Be determined and focus on one thing and one thing only.

Let me give you an example; I have been promoting my course about making money from amazon affiliate niche site, but then out of the blue, somebody called me and wanted to hire me to help their publishing company publish their books on amazon.

While I know how to get this done, and the offer sounds extremely nice, I politely declined because it does not align with my current interest.

You should learn to focus on one thing that interest you at a time. Failing to do this will result into you wasting a lot of time jumping from one idea to the other, which at the end of the day will not amount to any profit.

#4. Learn The Basics
No matter your choice of online business, there are some skills that you would always need on the fly. If you don’t master these skills early enough, you would be spending a lot of money outsourcing to get people to do it for you.

While outsourcing is a good thing, in fact it is one of the things that would push your online business to the next level, you should also realise that, your early days spending would be on a shoe string budget.

Aside from the financial consequences of outsourcing, doing things yourself will go a long way in establishing your root in the business. Take for instance you’re into affiliate marketing like I am; you should be able to setup a basic website using wordpress, you should be able to work with FTP, hosting and all those technical jargons.

The truth is, you can learn anything online these days. All you need is a good internet connection, YouTube and Google. The rest is the amount of time you’re willing to put into the learning process.

Learn the basics, such as setting up your site, basic graphic design, how to write, and how to interact with people. These might sound mundane at first, but looking back now, I wish I mastered these things early enough.

Yes, learn the basics, it will save you money in the early days. But outsourcing is equally important, if you’re interested in going far in this business.

You must be willing to outsource some aspect of your business. Even though you can do it in the basic form, if you need a complete professional touch, or you are simple occupied with something else, then you should focus on outsourcing some of the other task.

My case for an example, I outsource some writing task, not because I cannot do the writing myself, but because more often that not, there are so many stuffs to write on, so I have to keep my sanity by getting another hand to help out.

I am not also great when it comes to graphics, in fact I suck at it, so i usually outsource that aspect of my business. My main strength is in analytics, more like the executive functioning aspect of the business, and this is what I love doing the most, because I don’t get tired of it.

Find your strength early enough and focus on it, the rest, you should outsource as much as you can.

Those are the top five (5) things I wish I knew when I was getting started with online businesses back then, the benefit of you reading this post is that, it would guide your expectation and keep you in a right mental frame as you work towards building an online empire for yourself.

If you enjoy reading this article, then don’t hesitate to share with your friends and enemies.

I need your assistance
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About Making Money Online by haykay2005: 4:48am On Nov 23, 2018
Interesting!
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About Making Money Online by Nobody: 6:54am On Nov 23, 2018
Hi iwriterng

I was inspired by your post (below) on the 1st million thread:

iwriterng:

Made roughly 4million that year. (That was 2016 when dollar was crazy, made $5,000 in November and $5200 in December that year.)

It was all from amazon affiliate marketing.

I still do amazon affiliate marketing, and I have several sites now.

I’m worried I can’t get a regular job anymore, because I would be depressed to work for such little pay.

How do you carry out Keyword Research to pick the RIGHT niche for your Amazon sites?

Good morning...
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About Making Money Online by Akukaria: 7:16am On Nov 23, 2018
@ op. How can you be contacted
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About Making Money Online by iwriterng(m): 7:19am On Nov 23, 2018
Omoluabi9:
Hi iwriterng

How do you carry out Keyword Research to pick the RIGHT niche for your Amazon sites?

Good morning...

I use a technique called KGR: Keyword Golden Ration. You can read about it.
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About Making Money Online by Nobody: 7:34am On Nov 23, 2018
iwriterng:

I use a technique called KGR: Keyword Golden Ration. You can read about it.
Ok, I'll read about it.
Any article that has been particularly helpful for you?
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About Making Money Online by africanman85: 9:12am On Nov 23, 2018
iwriterng:

#2. You Need Money

Now, I know better.

#4. Learn The Basics

Can u teach me Amazon affiliate marketing ?
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About Making Money Online by joshuaudom(m): 9:16am On Nov 23, 2018
Omoluabi9:
Hi iwriterng

Good morning...

You can start by going to amazon website and check out the top ranked products, and create a niche in any of the area you may choose.

Use kwfinder.com to search for keywords related to that product or niche, then you will find link to the website that are promoting those niche, study to see if you can borrow any idea from them to start your on blog or website.

Note: when using kwfinder.com, make sure you stay away from the keywords that indicate red or orrange, because is overused or expensive.

Finally, if you need a website or blog for your affiliate marketing or for your business, I can fix one for you really quick with less than N15k

You can reach me on 07057058738

Wishing u success.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About Making Money Online by Setnigeria: 7:11pm On Dec 18, 2018
africanman85:
Can u teach me Amazon affiliate marketing ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TndXZZWMk0Q

(1) (Reply)

Akara Business Can Make You Rich / Chaka Launch Investment App For Nigerians To Buy Amazon, Google Other Shares / How To Start Selling Data And Buying You Data At Lower Rate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.