Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,114 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Why Is It That In The Old Testament, They Marry Themselves (within The Family)? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is It That In The Old Testament, They Marry Themselves (within The Family)? (426 Views)

Why Do Pastors Want Members To Date And Marry Themselves / Satan's Greatest Weapon For Destroying The Family & Church Today Unmasked / İs It Right For Two Divorcees To Marry Themselves According To The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It That In The Old Testament, They Marry Themselves (within The Family)? by davidufuoma(m): 6:39am On Nov 18, 2018
Genesis 24 New Living Translation (NLT)
A Wife for Isaac
Abraham was now a very old man, and the LORD had blessed him in every way.
One day Abraham said to his oldest servant, the man in charge of his household, “Take an oath by putting your hand under my thigh. Swear by the
LORD, the God of heaven and earth, that you will not allow my son to marry one of these local Canaanite women. Go instead to my homeland, to my relatives, and find a wife there for my son Isaac.”
Re: Why Is It That In The Old Testament, They Marry Themselves (within The Family)? by MrPresident1: 6:43am On Nov 18, 2018
Use KJV Bible. NLT is corrupted.

I guess the relationship was distant enough and the gene pool sufficiently mixed to deter the problem of inbreeding

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That In The Old Testament, They Marry Themselves (within The Family)? by davidufuoma(m): 6:51am On Nov 18, 2018
MrPresident1:
Use KJV Bible. NLT is corrupted.

I guess the relationship was distant enough and the gene pool sufficiently mixed to deter the problem of inbreeding
Thanks. But why is it wrong to marry our cousins nowadays
Re: Why Is It That In The Old Testament, They Marry Themselves (within The Family)? by thesicilian: 6:52am On Nov 18, 2018
Maybe the local Canaanites were like the slay queens of nowadays: not fit for marriage.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It That In The Old Testament, They Marry Themselves (within The Family)? by MrPresident1: 6:57am On Nov 18, 2018
davidufuoma:
Thanks. But why is it wrong to marry our cousins nowadays

I think it is because larger society frowns on it, but people still do it. I heard that cousins do marry themselves in the elite families in Northern Nigeria.'

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That In The Old Testament, They Marry Themselves (within The Family)? by galadima77(m): 7:09am On Nov 18, 2018
MrPresident1:

I think it is because larger society frowns on it, but people still do it. I heard that cousins do marry themselves in the elite families in Northern Nigeria.'

yes... not just the elites

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That In The Old Testament, They Marry Themselves (within The Family)? by MrPresident1: 7:21am On Nov 18, 2018
galadima77:

yes... not just the elites

Thanks for the clarification.

So it all boils down to society, and if the family is willing to accept. But my point would be that the relationship should be as far as possible to avoid the problems that inbreeding may bring
Re: Why Is It That In The Old Testament, They Marry Themselves (within The Family)? by davidufuoma(m): 7:24am On Nov 18, 2018
thesicilian:
Maybe the local Canaanites were like the slay queens of nowadays: not fit for marriage.
lol
Re: Why Is It That In The Old Testament, They Marry Themselves (within The Family)? by ObaKlaz: 7:30am On Nov 18, 2018
Sometimes I wonder... If we are all from Adam and Eve, aren't we all just one big, 'incested' family?

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That In The Old Testament, They Marry Themselves (within The Family)? by davidufuoma(m): 7:38am On Nov 18, 2018
ObaKlaz:
Sometimes I wonder... If we are all from Adam and Eve, aren't we all just one big, 'incested' family?
Religion, Tribe, Race brought about separation.. Bitter truth. We are not one

(1) (Reply)

Prophetic Declaration For The Year 2019 / Christians Should Drink Alcohol / Why Arabic Is Written From Right To Left

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.