Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,362 members, 7,819,309 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:09 PM

How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month (30999 Views)

Help My Land Lady Give Me 3 Months Quit Notice While My Rent Is Till Running / How Much Rent Can You Afford In Ibadan? / To Let: 2 Bedroom Flat + Study At Ijegun, Lagos. Rent Is 300k Per Annum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Godson213: 10:59am On Nov 22, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
Hahaha that girl that thought she was wise grin

Anyway, I hope you don't expect to be living outside Lagos and be working in Lagos? Better you develop the place and place it on rent. please, read my earlier reply to vivaciousvivi.

However, if you are self-hustling, it is fine but PLEASE, don't yield ground to your gf for the kind of apartment.

Yes sir
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Mercurypanther(m): 11:01am On Nov 22, 2018
Godson213:

Outside Lagos sir. Ibadan

Will stick to the room con but security wise it’s not adviceable to stay in the room con but security wise it’s okay at the two bedroom. That is my only challenge
security can only be assuranced by God. Even those at duplex still get killed or have security issues. Look out for a gated apartment and if possible area with Night guards
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Godson213: 11:06am On Nov 22, 2018
Mercurypanther:
security can only be assuranced by God. Even those at duplex still get killed or have security issues. Look out for a gated apartment and if possible area with Night guards

You are right sir...

The place is gated, and fenced but not barb wired. I will rent it and save more to develop my property. *hugs*

1 Like

Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:14am On Nov 22, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

It depends on what you earn, where you work and the kind of apartment.

You work in VI, you earn 100k and you think getting an apartment of 300k in Yaba is insane. You decide to buy a plot of land Ikorodu because you don't want to dash your landlord money or you get a "cheaper" apartment of 150-200k in Ikorodu as a "sharp guy".

You wake up 4am daily to go to work that you resume 9am in VI just to beat traffic. You spend approximately 3-4hours on the road travelling (that's like Abuja to Kano BTW grin)

You return home 8-9PM daily after spending 2-3hours on the road. You repeat this cycle every Monday to Friday of your life and you expect to live long tongue

You spend approximately #1000 as daily fare (meaning 22k monthly and 244k annually) and you think you are smart.

Meanwhile, the man living in Yaba spend approximately #500 as his daily fare (#11k monthly and 122k annually), he wakes up 6am daily and set out to work @6:30-7am, he usually return home 6-6:30PM daily after close of work and has time to do side hustle for 2 hours or enjoy time resting.

And you think you are smarter than him abi? You are doing yourself grin
First of all, I take offence to your last statement.
And no where did I state I was smarter than anyone...as a matter of fact, I gave the credit to whom I read it from and I do think it isnt dumb.
Case in point, my first job was in VI and I lived in my first rental in Unity Estate Egbeda. I thought things would ease up after I bought my first car back in 07. It didnt, I just ended up waking earlier and getting tireder since now I had to drive home. The cycle was killing me. My rent was N70k and it was a BQ. So I had to move to 'lere where my rent was N250k for a one bedroom apartment (own bath, living room, bedroom, kitchen). Cut my commute more than half and made me happier. But the rent was killing me until I got a better paying job in 2010. By then, my surulere rent had also increased from N250k to N300k till it ended at N315k (before I moved out). It all begins and ends with the income at the end of the day. Cheers Tonye

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Scholar01: 11:16am On Nov 22, 2018
dotun365:
No amount is too much for rent. Comfort can never be too expensive. I don't know what kind of apartment you are staying in for 300k in yaba to give any advise. But you should be mindful of the fact that Nigeria is a rough place and anything can happen at anytime so you want to build a good buffer in savings and investment and that could mean cutting down on comfort now.
Dotun Somebody?
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:17am On Nov 22, 2018
vivaciousvivi:

First of all, I take offence to your last statement.
And no where did I state I was smarter than anyone...as a matter of fact, I gave the credit to whom I read it from and I do think it isnt dumb.
Case in point, my first job was in VI and I lived in my first rental in Unity Estate Egbeda. I thought things would ease up after I bought my first car back in 07. It didnt, I just ended up waking earlier and getting tireder since now I had to drive home. The cycle was killing me. My rent was N70k and it was a BQ. So I had to move to 'lere where my rent was N250k for a one bedroom apartment (own bath, living room, bedroom, kitchen). Cut my commute more than half and made me happier. But the rent was killing me until I got a better paying job in 2010. By then, my surulere rent had also increased from N250k to N300k till it ended at N315k (before I moved out). It all begins and ends with the income at the end of the day. Cheers Tonye
No pls, don't personalise it... it was mere illustration na.

I know you are a smarty na, no be Vivi again? Meanwhile, you made a nice decision to move out of the 315k apartment, seriously, I would even move when it was increased to 300k. Income matters truly but please, don't stay faàaaaar in the name of cutting cost. It isn't worth it.

Don't take every word literal pls... You know say you be my love na
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by snowblaq(f): 11:22am On Nov 22, 2018
marshborn:
Good evening nairalanders, I earn 100k a month which amounts to 1.2 million per annum.
I just secured an apartment in yaba which cost 300k per year. I chose yaba because of its proximity to the island which is where i work.

I want to know if the rent costs too much for someone of my status.

Am I about to start living above my means? Advice needed.

I think it's fair enough.. ...remove 25k every month from your salary and save it for rent... At the end of a year you'll have your 300k.. ...try and save and manage the rest of the 75k per month

2 Likes

Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by ogawisdom(m): 11:54am On Nov 22, 2018
Budex40:

Who told you he's not grown up ? For christ's sake everyone has a right to his/her opinions. If he decides not to get married what is that to you ? Does it affect you in anyway ? Why do u humans use shaming tactics on some one who decides to live his life the he sees it fit ?

get lost already, I am entitled to my opinion too
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by ogawisdom(m): 11:55am On Nov 22, 2018
DJInfluence:
I think we need to understand where he is coming from and what living on the street must have done to him psychologically before commenting on what he said. i think his issue is more about fear of the unknown and he may require some help from a psychologist to get over that and start living life at its fullest.

that's why he needs to get sense and grow up
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Tattooboy: 11:57am On Nov 22, 2018
Clarathomp:

You had me LOL at this. There's nothing wrong with marrying for companionship, in fact companionship is the major reason Eve was created for Adam. Because the story says and God saw that the man was lonely so he caused a deep sleep.........you get the drift sha.
Adam disobeyed his Maker when Eve came into his life. Abeg let the post be in good terms with God.
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Nobody: 12:02pm On Nov 22, 2018
300k PA is too high. I earn 90k monthly, and my friend, 75k. We wanted to co-rent a better apartment and we were charged 300k for a miniflat in Ojodu. We pick race 440 grin
Bills are crazy in Lagos, and most come unexpected. I no go save? I no go buy send mama money? I no go invest? Abi I no go settle down.
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by blackjack21(m): 12:04pm On Nov 22, 2018
haladadon:
I earn 194K and I don't even have a house, I squat with my uncle. I'm afraid of even spending the money. I used to sleep on the streets before with street kids.

now I don't want to leave my old lifestyle. only my dad knows I have a job. no one else knows.

renting a house is not worth it, you'll soon get lonely looking for who to marry and all that stuff.

Warren Buffet in the making. grin angry grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Oluwalifted: 12:27pm On Nov 22, 2018
If you have to believe God for a miracle to pay your rent, that apartment is bigger than you.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by IbrahimDamola: 12:30pm On Nov 22, 2018
Buffalowings3:

grin grin cheesy cheesy

Na so na... grin

You never try am before? Fat account balance dey cure instant hunger. Just try am.

Once hunger grip you just go your sms history glance your 5 million naira account balance, hunger go pick race and you go be like...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Ayobami7(m): 12:32pm On Nov 22, 2018
This is my Comment
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by haladadon: 12:39pm On Nov 22, 2018
Manufor:

Dumbest comment I have seen in a long while,.. Squat with your uncle for the rest of your life,. You are not even ashamed to come here and say you squat with your uncle,..

I hope you realize that I used to sleep at the market, squatting don't mean anything to me. it's better than sleeping in the streets.

sleeping in the streets, once you close your eyes, they'll remove your palms or sandals or steal from you.

1 Like

Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Obeenah(m): 12:42pm On Nov 22, 2018
From my experience studying Mortgage finance.

A 20% allocation of annual earnings for housing is advised hence N1.2M per annum = N240k allocated for housing.

However using the case of Nigeria. If you got water and other basic amenities in the house for that 300k it is ok.

Just don't go beyond this.

Also I would suggest you open a mutual fund account and make monthly payments equivalent to your house rent.

Within 12 months you will have your rent + small interest earned.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by tambiri77: 1:10pm On Nov 22, 2018
As for me 300k is on high side compare to your monthly income. Kindly look for a room self-contained around Old Apapa road Costain at 150 to 200k.Am very sure you can still get.
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Nobody: 1:10pm On Nov 22, 2018
chloride6:
OP
You are taking advice from people who don't live in Lagos.

You are on the right track my brother.

All the people saying 2 months blah blah don't spend 5 hours in traffic to and fro.

Someone was saying some built a house in ikorodu within 3 years.

You want to live in ikorodu and work on island ?

Especially when you have a job where you close around 8?

My brother enjoy your life.

How did you secure the apartment?

I need to move to Yaba this week.

My blood pressure is higher than my father's .

Can you imagine?

You just took the words out of my mouth. Guys here just dey shout not more than one or two months salary as if say nah Dem one determine price for Landlord.

The earlier we face up to the realities of life in a city such as Lagos the better for everyone. Person wey no wan pay for comfort will definitely pay the stress of discomfort. At the end of day, life is a trade off, you can't have your cake and still eat it.

In Yaba, for instance, you can count yourself lucky if you get a comfortable miniflat for 300k, rates can even go as far as 300-500k in certain areas.

Naira does not command much value, so it's imperative to pursue it in good volumes to stay ahead of inflation, but you must enjoy your life as you try to do so because there are no guarantees after all said and done.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Isiterere(m): 1:23pm On Nov 22, 2018
cnonyechi:

my brother some months na story. Electronics business is not an everyday thing and d profit is small. dont worry dear wat he and i make does not in any way equate wat we spend or have. Note we dont do yahoo or any shady deal its just as i posted. Its all God. if u allow God into ur life he will take to to heights u never imagined. look no child of God lacjs or beggs dir bread.I am a living teatimony

So when expenses show up ,you will just call on God and it will disappear? Just because your husband is shouldering every expenses does not mean your 70k is sustaining you. Be practical pls .

1 Like

Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Isiterere(m): 1:34pm On Nov 22, 2018
jesmond3945:
gbam is only God. I spend more than my income, infact i feed people both here in abroad and home but how it is done I don't know.
How will you spend more than your income , or how can you give what you don't have ? This is not making sense .
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by bjhandz: 2:33pm On Nov 22, 2018
O boi is better you apply wisdom that apartments is much ooo.
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by ewizard1: 3:44pm On Nov 22, 2018
MossLuv:
Anything above 100k is too much
100k for accommodation? in Lagos?

3 Likes

Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Olumyyde(m): 3:51pm On Nov 22, 2018
I strongly believe location matters in this, I stay in kaduna n earn about 140k plus and my house rent is 150k p/a. That's about 9.8 to 10% of my annual income. It is a spacious 2bedroom flat. location matters because I really doubt if u can get such in a place like Lagos, Abuja or Port Harcourt.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Paentera(m): 3:58pm On Nov 22, 2018
FabulousAutos:

If I spend 33 percent on rent, l doubt if I'll have enough left to attend to other necessities including children's school fees, entertainment, vehicle etc.

I think you misread my comment. The premise is that you do not EXCEED 33%...this is how banks determine if the income of an individual is adequate to cover monthly mortgage payments.
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Skyfornia(m): 4:04pm On Nov 22, 2018
sylvez:

Op, please I also need a house around that Yaba axis, but I can't afford that 300k for now. Since you are yet to marry, can we share the space and share the bills. I just started working and I earn 80k per month. 08104701708

Check my signature for my digits
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by oscaruzie(m): 4:16pm On Nov 22, 2018
marshborn:
Good evening nairalanders, I earn 100k a month which amounts to 1.2 million per annum.
I just secured an apartment in yaba which cost 300k per year. I chose yaba because of its proximity to the island which is where i work.

I want to know if the rent costs too much for someone of my status.

Am I about to start living above my means? Advice needed.
congrats bro. i think it's ok. I'm also searching for an apartment around that axis. is it a 2bedroom or 3?kindly help a brother out pls?
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by oscaruzie(m): 4:20pm On Nov 22, 2018
Obeenah:
From my experience studying Mortgage finance.

A 20% allocation of annual earnings for housing is advised hence N1.2M per annum = N240k allocated for housing.

However using the case of Nigeria. If you got water and other basic amenities in the house for that 300k it is ok.

Just don't go beyond this.

Also I would suggest you open a mutual fund account and make monthly payments equivalent to your house rent.

Within 12 months you will have your rent + small interest earned.
bros can you explain more about this mutual fund account?

1 Like

Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Nobody: 4:34pm On Nov 22, 2018
PrinceBBlack:
Bros, u funny ooo. The beyyer u face reality now, the better. Being independent makes u grow and develop faster. My saying sha

TRUE TALK
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Nobody: 4:47pm On Nov 22, 2018
cnonyechi:
funny enough in reality its not seen dat way i earn less dan 70k a month married with 3 kids my husband does bussiness (electronics) my rent in Festac is 400k kids termly fees 124k and den der is feeding, electricity, transport, clothing, travel and other expenses. but they r all met timely. My kids are well infact over fed they have every gadget they need to be happy.
Infact typing this just made me realise dat God has been sustaining i and my Family and i give him the praise. So its not about the mathematics in it becos all dos calculations can fail u its about ur standing with God. phil.4 - 19.
Am not making the money but am living the life through the grace of the Almighty God.
And i still SAVE.
NOTE
I have never spent more than 2000 for treatment and hospital for my kids. From January till date i and my family have never been to d hospital.
ITS ALL GOD THE GREAT PROVIDER AND PROTECTOR

I thought this is a guy.
madam, the guy is referring to guys that work and pay the rent.
You can tell us how much ur husband earns and how he does cope with all.
You are telling us u earn less than 70k, and stay in 400k apaprtment with 124k sch feesfor three kids each.

Na wa oo.
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by jesmond3945: 4:59pm On Nov 22, 2018
Isiterere:

How will you spend more than your income , or how can you give what you don't have ? This is not making sense .
didnt you see where i wrote i feed mouths both in naija and here in abroad? It would not make sense to anybody but only God's grace is carrying me through.
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Acidosis(m): 5:10pm On Nov 22, 2018
IbrahimDamola:
God no go let me dash up to 3 months of my annual salary give landlord. God forbid.
If I earn just 100k per month, I will stay in self-contain abeg.

Many of you enjoy life so much you find it easy to throw away what you should save for rainy days. What will you tell your kids in future if you can't meet their needs because you wasted money during your youth?

I saved 73% of what I earn for the past 5 years I plan to make more money next year and save 90% of what I earn for the next 10 years after I expand my hustle.

To save money sweet die, once I look my account balance, hunger go disappear and my belle go dey sweet me.

My role model is Warren Buffet, a billionaire who 's been living and working in the same building for over 50 years. Just imagine all the millions he must have saved on transportation over 5 decades.

@bold,
If you can't eat your own money, you would still find it very difficult to spend on your children. The same line of thought would make you consider a cheap public school over an expensive private school.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Can A Rented Apartment Contribute To The Downfall Or Growth Of A Tenant? / Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? / Woman Bites Off Landlord's Lips In Akure, Ondo (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.