Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,467 members, 7,819,705 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping (3396 Views)

Bolu Okupe, Doyin Okupe's Hot Son, A Manchester Based Student / Police To Invite The Speaker Over The Thursday's National Assembly Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Kobojunkie: 5:20pm On Jul 26, 2010
He is feigning ignorance here because his UNTOUCHABLE brother Jonathan is the one who supposedly innitiated this. He claims to work as a software engineer so I doubt he is as clueless as he pretends on what GPS really is and how it works. lol
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by AjanleKoko: 5:21pm On Jul 26, 2010
mikeansy:

You are asking questions as if you are not in naija.

2 years ago I wondered how it could be possible for kidnappers to kidnapp victims, call the members of the family of their victims over the phone, negotiate for the money to be delievered to their destination of choice and yet go scot free? I have always wondered why our Police, JTF etc can not track these kidnappers and bust them.

This idea is not no new, there is nothing novel about it. That it took our Government all this while to start looking for solution on facebook when the technology to resolve this already exists tells me they are dumb.

By the way Jonathan has been in the executive arm of Government since 2007.

mikeansy, for this your comment, I forgive you all your transgressions against Xavi Hernandez cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by AjanleKoko: 5:22pm On Jul 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I doubt he is as clueless as he pretends on what GPS really is and how it works. lol

Actually, KoboJ, from what you've posted here, same kinda applies to you undecided
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Kobojunkie: 5:23pm On Jul 26, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Actually, KoboJ, from what you've posted here, same kinda applies to you undecided
How?
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 26, 2010
if my memory serves me my employers security officers have been able to track people making threatening calls to company officials by collaborating with gsm providers

i doubt if it is the rocket science our clueless governemnt is making it out to be
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by AjanleKoko: 5:27pm On Jul 26, 2010
oyb:

if my memory serves me my employers security officers have been able to track people making threatening calls to company officials by collaborating with gsm providers

i doubt if it is the rocket science our clueless governemnt is making it out to be

You dey mind them?
They have over 100 scientists working for NASRDA. undecided

Kobojunkie:

How? 

Easy. You're arguing in the exact opposite direction.
In my opinion, Jonathan may not even be the issue. He's probably surrounded by a herd of smack-talkers. Na Naija we dey.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Kobojunkie: 5:29pm On Jul 26, 2010
oyb:

if my memory serves me my employers security officers have been able to track people making threatening calls to company officials[b] by collaborating with gsm providers[/b]

Exactly!! Our government needs to get the telecomms industry working for us like is the case elsewhere.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by proudly9ja(m): 5:29pm On Jul 26, 2010
I wouldn't want to undermine the young man's effort. Kudos to him and his team.

But Uncle GJ has by this slapped the entire Nigerian education system in the face!

I have said over and over again that the solution to Nigeria's problems lies in the four walls of higher institutions. If Jonathan wants a solution to NEPA issues, let him invite our profs and research scientists in the Institutions all over Nigeria. If he wants a solution to kidnapping, let him do same. I assure you they will come up with solutions in less than 6 months! By overlooking them and publicly inviting ideas from a yr 2 student (who I consider to be an excellent student based on this project), is a slap on the face of the entire academic system in Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Beaf: 5:29pm On Jul 26, 2010
mikeansy:

You are asking questions as if you are not in naija.

2 years ago I wondered how it could be possible for kidnappers to kidnapp victims, call the members of the family of their victims over the phone, negotiate for the money to be delievered to their destination of choice and yet go scot free? I have always wondered why our Police, JTF etc can not track these kidnappers and bust them.

This idea is not no new, there is nothing novel about it. That it took our Government all this while to start looking for solution on facebook when the technology to resolve this already exists tells me they are dumb.

By the way Jonathan has been in the executive arm of Government since 2007.

I asked the question, because in recent times, Onovo has claimed to be employing high tech solutions with foreign help from Israel.
We don't know what that involved, therefore we cannot say that readily available methods have not been tried.
I believe the student must have come up with an angle nobody else has seen (Nigerian or Israeli). And because of the security angle, his invention is very unlikely ever going to be made public.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by AjanleKoko: 5:32pm On Jul 26, 2010
proudly9ja:

By overlooking them and publicly inviting ideas from a yr 2 student (who I consider to be an excellent student based on this project), is a slap on the face of the entire academic system in Nigeria.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

B-R-O-S-S-S-S!!!!!

Just like that? The boy win award? Because he posted something on Facebook?
There are thousands of Nigerian students all over the world involved in various research projects.
Let's get them all to come and post something on Facebook grin

Nigerians sha. sad
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 26, 2010
oyb:

this is looking like the sort of ogboju 'computer engineers' in pc village pull on hapless computer illiterates

y'all better start preparing one page proposal  solutions to naija's problems to post on fb  - since johnny seems to spend more time on facebook than on the actual biz of running the country - some of us might hit it big and become certified johnny bootlickers
brilliant idea. . .all those nL engineers should come up with something better and stop rotting away here.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Beaf: 5:33pm On Jul 26, 2010
proudly9ja:

I wouldn't want to undermine the young man's effort. Kudos to him and his team.

But Uncle GJ has by this slapped the entire Nigerian education system in the face!

I have said over and over again that the solution to Nigeria's problems lies in the four walls of higher institutions. If Jonathan wants a solution to NEPA issues, let him invite our profs and research scientists in the Institutions all over Nigeria. If he wants a solution to kidnapping, let him do same. I assure you they will come up with solutions in less than 6 months! By overlooking them and publicly inviting ideas from a yr 2 student (who I consider to be an excellent student based on this project), is a slap on the face of the entire academic system in Nigeria.

Your argument is defeated by the fact that the boy is Nigerian. His being in Finland does not reduce that.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jul 26, 2010
Beaf:

I asked the question, because in recent times[b], Onovo has claimed to be employing high tech solutions with foreign help from Israel.[/b]
We don't know what that involved, therefore we cannot say that readily available methods have not been tried.
I believe the student must have come up with an angle nobody else has seen (Nigerian or Israeli). And because of the security angle, his invention is very unlikely ever going to be made public.

would this be the same onovo that said he would use satelites to monitor elections ?

all his 'help from isreal' was another bizarre outburst - isreal does not have a kidnapping problem and thus has no expertise in that aspect - if he'd sought help from latin american security agencies i'd have understood
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by proudly9ja(m): 5:34pm On Jul 26, 2010
AjanleKoko:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

B-R-O-S-S-S-S!!!!!

Just like that? The boy win award? Because he posted something on Facebook?
There are thousands of Nigerian students all over the world involved in various research projects.
Let's get them all to come and post something on Facebook grin

Nigerians sha. sad
Im only trying to take away the attention from him. My convo is not about him, its about what Mr president has done.
And so yes, he is an excellent student.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Kobojunkie: 5:35pm On Jul 26, 2010
~Bluetooth:

brilliant idea. . .all those nL engineers should come up with something better and stop rotting away here.

Come up with a solution??  shocked shocked shocked The solution is already there in Nigeria, all that is needed is for the same Jonathan to implement it. What more can "NL engineers" do to solve that? Kidnap him and threaten killing him if he does not implement the solutions we already have to this?
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jul 26, 2010
But does the satellite navigation and tracking involve risks? That is the question that the Saterisk-project seeks answer to. Saterisk is a joint project of Laurea university of applied sciences and the University of Lapland.

the sabove is the highlight of the project the student is attached to
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Beaf: 5:38pm On Jul 26, 2010
oyb:

would this be the same onovo that said he would use satelites to monitor elections ?

all his 'help from isreal' was another bizarre outburst - isreal does not have a kidnapping problem and thus has no expertise in that aspect - if he'd sought help from latin american security agencies i'd have understood

Isreal has a huge kidnapping problem that has caused at least two wars.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by proudly9ja(m): 5:39pm On Jul 26, 2010
Beaf:

Your argument is defeated by the fact that the boy is Nigerian. His being in Norway does not reduce that.
It actually does. One should remember that this project is not even the boy's idea (as far as I can see). He is only part of a project team!

Have our profs and research scientists at home been tested before we ran all the way to Norway for solution? This is not how the world thinks. Charity they say begins at home. Again I maintain, this is a big slap and I feel so sorry for all of us who studied in Nigeria at some level cos here is our president telling us we can't solve simple problems with the knowledge we gained!
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 26, 2010
Beaf:

Isreal has a huge kidnapping problem that has caused at least two wars.

now i've heard everything

isreal has a huge kidnapping problem

hezbollah kidnapped two soldiers - that translates to a huge kudnapping problem that has caused at least two wars

what was isreals answer - they levelled lebanon - and they still had to end up negotiating with hezbollah - is that the sort of solution your icon is seeking ?
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by AjanleKoko: 5:42pm On Jul 26, 2010
oyb:

I'm sure Israel has much more expertise in kidnapping people, than busting kidnappers.

Instead of random solution, GEJ should tell his bumbling IG to talk to Interpol or the Colombian government or something.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jul 26, 2010
^^^^^

someone should suggest it on facebook

since tht seems to be the only medium our presido is tuned into
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Beaf: 5:45pm On Jul 26, 2010
proudly9ja:

It actually does. One should remember that this project is not even the boy's idea (as far as I can see). He is only part of a project team!

Have our profs and research scientists at home been tested before we ran all the way to Norway for solution? This is not how the world thinks. Charity they say begins at home. Again I maintain, this is a big slap and I feel so sorry for all of us who studied in Nigeria at some level cos here is our president telling us we can't solve simple problems with the knowledge we gained!

We've been saying Norway instead of Finland. grin
This has nothing to do with where the boy is studying, he is too young to have had much of a choice anyway. Nigerians can (and should) contribute to the growth of the country anywhere they are. Lets not make this another home vs away battle that leads nowhere. A Nigerian is a Nigerian.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by proudly9ja(m): 5:47pm On Jul 26, 2010
India has unveiled a $30 'laptop' which makes it the world's cheapest computing device.

Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal unveiled the Rs 1,500-device meant especially for students. It will be available in 2011 in the markets.

The device is a Linux-based machine with videoconferencing, word processing and browsing capabilities, and has a solar-powered add-on.

It is said to have 2 GB onboard memory, Wi-Fi connectivity, Ethernet port(s) and USB connectivity. However, it does not have a screen. So if you want to display the data stored on it, you would need to attach a compatible output device using the USB ports.

And the computing device called 'Sakshat' is 10 inches long and five inches wide and costs around $50.

To make it useful for the students, especially in the rural areas, the scientists have made it low power consuming gadget.

While unveiling the low-cost device, the minister said that when more manufacturers decide to produce similar devices, prices will fall even further.

In February 2009, the HRD ministry (then headed by Arjun Singh) said that this 'laptop' would be available for only $10. The laptop has been jointly developed by several organisations, such as the University Grants Commission, the Indian Institute of Technology-Madras, and the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.

The project had created a major buzz in the laptop industry across the world and many questions over the development of such a low-cost 'laptop'. Many players were curious to know the details of the costing and how Indians managed to keep the cost so low.

http://business.rediff.com/slide-show/2010/jul/23/slide-show-1-tech-a-30-laptop-dollar-from-india.htm#contentTop

That is what a responsible government does. Throw the challenge to the academia!
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by proudly9ja(m): 5:55pm On Jul 26, 2010
Beaf:

This has nothing to do with where the boy is studying, he is too young to have had much of a choice anyway. Nigerians can (and should) contribute to the growth of the country anywhere they are. Lets not make this another home vs away battle that leads nowhere. A Nigerian is a Nigerian.

lol, sorry, Finland

But u see, you still don't get my point. I intentionally previously called the boy a very good student because I did not want people to think my beef is with the boy. This has nothing to do with him.

Universities are not just there to train students but also to research and profer solutions to the country's issues. Its like a coy having a R&grin department and then still going to source for solutions in another coy's R&grin department without even consulting her own dept first. In other words, that coy is saying its own R&grin dept is a waste of money and resources. Thats how I interprete it.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by canuck(m): 6:00pm On Jul 26, 2010
How does President GEJ hope to fight the menace of youth unemployment in Nigeria (one of the root causes of kidnapping) when he won't even patronize Nigeria-based academics, professionals and unemployed grads?!

According to NL's resident experts in this field, Ajanlekoko and Oyb, it appears that there's no big deal about this GPS tracking idea.

I think that is the issue some of us have with this approach, not that one habors bad-belle towards Dipo, the Finnish student.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by canuck(m): 6:02pm On Jul 26, 2010
Beaf:

I agree with you - We nor 'beaf' the boy at oh! smiley
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by AjanleKoko: 6:05pm On Jul 26, 2010
canuck:

How does President GEJ hope to fight the menace of youth unemployment in Nigeria (one of the root causes of kidnapping) when he won't even patronize Nigeria-based academics, professionals and unemployed grads?!

According to NL's resident experts in this field, Ajanlekoko and Oyb, it appears that there's no big deal about this GPS tracking idea.

I think that is the issue some of us have with this approach, not that one habors bad-belle towards Dipo, the Finnish student.

Well . . . it's a funny condodrum really.

I guess the jackboots brute-force thinking of the soldier-boyz have rubbed off on civilian politicians.
If if the government don't understand what the scientists or engineers or other technical professionals are supposed to be doing, then it becomes a free-for-all. Any advice becomes good advice, period.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Beaf: 6:05pm On Jul 26, 2010
proudly9ja:

lol, sorry, Finland

But u see, you still don't get my point. I intentionally previously called the boy a very good student because I did not want people to think my beef is with the boy. This has nothing to do with him.

Universities are not just there to train students but also to research and profer solutions to the country's issues. Its like a coy having a R&grin department and then still going to source for solutions in another coy's R&grin department without even consulting her own dept first. In other words, that coy is saying its own R&grin dept is a waste of money and resources. Thats how I interprete it.

I went to uni in 9ja and except you are saying we should develop our education (which I don't see how the President could have done in his mere two months of office), you wouldn't ask any Nigerian uni to undertake any R&grin that can be trusted. Lecturers are too busy selling handouts and deflowering innocent undergrads to deliver anything of use. The education system has been run down for decades and needs to be built up first before being challenged to provide emergency solutions.

I do agree that we need to develop our education system, but it isn't a days job. In developed countries unis are linked to govt and businesses, not the sort of crap we have here. Our education does need to be placed in a state of emergency.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by proudly9ja(m): 6:17pm On Jul 26, 2010
Beaf:

I went to uni in 9ja and except you are saying we should develop our education (which I don't see how the President could have done in his mere two months of office), you wouldn't ask any Nigerian uni to undertake any R&grin that can be trusted. Lecturers are too busy selling handouts and deflowering innocent undergrads to deliver anything of use. The education system has been run down for decades and needs to be built up first before being challenged to provide emergency solutions.

I do agree that we need to develop our education system, but it isn't a days job. In developed countries unis are linked to govt and businesses, not the sort of crap we have here. Our education does need to be placed in a state of emergency.

I had to modify my post when I noticed the bolded part above, lol, Abeg no insult my lecturers o! I worked with some great lecturers at Unilag who were working on great ideas. Even me as I small reach that time, I know some of the things my colleagues and I did. No insult us o, no be all of us be Prof Otubu (abi wetin b him name again?)

I went to uni in Naija too and while I agree we may still have a long way to go, I still think that the president can do more than slap us in the face. Note that I have not asked him to call on our students (some of who I even believe can do better), but at least call on the researchers. Call them let them fail and then you can say you have tried. But with little I have read from resident NL 'experts', I am sure they won't fail.

Also if it was MTN or any other company who made this move, I wouldn't have complained. They can do whatever  they like. But when the president of a country decides that rather than look inward, he'l go abroad  to bring a 2nd yr (whether BSc or MSc or PhD) student, then I think its a slap on our face including Mr President's too since he was a lecturer in one of the Unis too!

Anyways, Im done responding on this issue. Its giving me headache, lol, I wish Mr Dipo success jare.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by bkbabe90(m): 6:18pm On Jul 26, 2010
Maybe I should also write yall President and ask him to teach the Police the simple art of[b] TRINAGULATION!!![/b]
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by redsun(m): 6:21pm On Jul 26, 2010
Is it not in nigeria that a dean of faculty of computer science could not operate a computer in a law court as a witness?Or was it just a rumor?
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Kobojunkie: 6:22pm On Jul 26, 2010
redsun:

Is it not in nigeria that a dean of faculty of computer science could not operate a computer in a law court as a witness?Or was it just a rumor?

I kept trying to remember the guy's position . . lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

DELETED / If Buhari Wins, I Will Hang Myself / Buhari Is Corrupt Afterall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.