Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,510 members, 7,826,936 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 (2800 Views)

Metuh Has No Right To Announce Date Of PDP Convention — Okupe / Traffic Gridlock As Jonathan Attends RCCG Convention / Umu Igbo Alliance (chicago) Igbo Ezue: Launching the Igbo Renaissance! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by EzeUche(m): 5:56am On Jul 26, 2010
Registration is now open!

To register go to www.umuigbounite.com

Member registration is $73
Regular Registration for Non-Members - $80
Regular Registration ends on August 5th
Anyone who's interested in the Igbo culture is more than welcome to attend!

Groups/Organization discounts available.
Contact us for more details at contact@umuigbounite.com

HOW TO GET THERE:

Umu Igbo Unite has partnered with Airtran and Continental to bring you discounted plane tickets.

Airtran is offering a 10% discount on the lowest airfare. The discount code is HOU080610. To take advantage of this special program, contact the AirTran Airways EventSavers Desk at 1-866-68EVENT (1-866-683-8368) for reservations.

Continental Airlines is supporting Umu Igbo Unite by offering 5% to 13% discounts off published fares. To book your reservations online visit www.continental.com and enter both your Z-code and Agreement code (without a space) in the Offer Code Box.
Z Code ZGUE and Agreement Code AZ8EJ4.

WHERE TO STAY:

The host hotel for the weekend is the Doubletree Guest Suites Houston by the Galleria. Suites are $89 a night. Make your reservation today.
http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/groups/personalized/HOUSYDT-UIU-20100803/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG

ABOUT THE UIU CONVENTION:

Did you think last years event went exceptionally well? Get ready for the 2010 Convention! This weekend will be filled with networking with fellow Young Igbo Professionals, a soccer tournament, banquet, traditional shows, etc. Everyone is welcome!

Since 2005, Umu Igbo Unite has held an annual convention each year which consists of many events aimed at Young Igbo professionals. People from other cultural backgrounds and ethnicities that are interested in learning more about the Igbo culture are welcome to attend.

Pictures of last year convention can be view at
http://www.umuigbounite.com/2009convention.php

Please visit our website to learn more about Umu Igbo Unite.
http://www.umuigbounite.com/
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by udezue(m): 5:44pm On Aug 04, 2010
Are u coming to HOUSTON this year?
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by chosen04(f): 5:49pm On Aug 04, 2010
So what do we intend to achieve with this convention? a seperate home land?
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by MaziUche0(m): 5:53pm On Aug 04, 2010
chosen04:

So what do we intend to achieve with this convention? a seperate home land?

No to meet and greet.

And maybe form relationships. wink
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by chosen04(f): 6:01pm On Aug 04, 2010
MaziUche0:

No to meet and greet.

And maybe form relationships. wink

So cant we greet and form relationships on phone?
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by bawomolo(m): 6:01pm On Aug 04, 2010
MaziUche0:

And maybe form relationships.  wink

that's really why you are going
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by MaziUche0(m): 6:03pm On Aug 04, 2010
chosen04:

It is much easier to do it in person.
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by MaziUche0(m): 6:03pm On Aug 04, 2010
bawomolo:

that's really why you are going

No! angry

To make business contacts.
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by chosen04(f): 6:12pm On Aug 04, 2010
MaziUche0:

It is much easier to do it in person.

MaziUche0:

No! angry

To make business contacts.

So after all the greetings and business contacts, we will still allow ourselves to be subjected to all kinds of ''man made'' marginalisations and harmful govt policies? **********Shakes Head**********
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by AloyEmeka8: 6:14pm On Aug 04, 2010
EzeUche:

Registration is now open!

To register go to www.umuigbounite.com

Member registration is $73
Regular Registration for Non-Members - $80
Regular Registration ends on August 5th
Anyone who's interested in the Igbo culture is more than welcome to attend!

Groups/Organization discounts available.
Contact us for more details at contact@umuigbounite.com

HOW TO GET THERE:

Umu Igbo Unite has partnered with Airtran and Continental to bring you discounted plane tickets.

Airtran is offering a 10% discount on the lowest airfare. The discount code is HOU080610. To take advantage of this special program, contact the AirTran Airways EventSavers Desk at 1-866-68EVENT (1-866-683-8368) for reservations.

Continental Airlines is supporting Umu Igbo Unite by offering 5% to 13% discounts off published fares. To book your reservations online visit www.continental.com and enter both your Z-code and Agreement code (without a space) in the Offer Code Box.
Z Code ZGUE and Agreement Code AZ8EJ4.

WHERE TO STAY:

The host hotel for the weekend is the Doubletree Guest Suites Houston by the Galleria. Suites are $89 a night. Make your reservation today.
http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/groups/personalized/HOUSYDT-UIU-20100803/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG

ABOUT THE UIU CONVENTION:

Did you think last years event went exceptionally well? Get ready for the 2010 Convention! This weekend will be filled with networking with fellow Young Igbo Professionals, a soccer tournament, banquet, traditional shows, etc. Everyone is welcome!

Since 2005, Umu Igbo Unite has held an annual convention each year which consists of many events aimed at Young Igbo professionals. People from other cultural backgrounds and ethnicities that are interested in learning more about the Igbo culture are welcome to attend.

Pictures of last year convention can be view at
http://www.umuigbounite.com/2009convention.php

Please visit our website to learn more about Umu Igbo Unite.
http://www.umuigbounite.com/

Any discount on visa for international participants?
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by ezeagu(m): 6:16pm On Aug 04, 2010
chosen04:

So after all the greetings and business contacts, we will still allow ourselves to be subjected to all kinds of ''man made'' marginalisations and harmful govt policies? **********Shakes Head**********

It's a slow process, unless you want another war?
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by AloyEmeka8: 6:17pm On Aug 04, 2010
chosen04:

Phones and other forms of electronic networking can never suffice a celebration of culture and friendship. If that is the case, all festivals should cease forthwith since we can celebrate them online and through phone, including Nigeria@50.
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by AloyEmeka8: 6:19pm On Aug 04, 2010
ezeagu:

Is Dennis osadebe igbo?. I though he was Urhobo?
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by ezeagu(m): 6:25pm On Aug 04, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

Is Dennis osadebe igbo?. I though he was Urhobo?

One of the most revered Igbo musicians is called Osadebe. . . . from Anambra State. . . undecided
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by AloyEmeka8: 6:27pm On Aug 04, 2010
Yea its true, i forgot.
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by chosen04(f): 6:29pm On Aug 04, 2010
ezeagu:

Are we not ready in a war? War is not only fought in battles alone. Denial of your fundamental rights is kin to war. This what we are experiencing not worst than the ''cold war?''
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by MaziUche0(m): 6:30pm On Aug 04, 2010
chosen04:

I enjoy your Biafra spirit my dear, but everything cannot be about Biafra. Let us all come to together and enjoy ourselves.
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by AloyEmeka8: 6:31pm On Aug 04, 2010
chosen04:

So after all the greetings and business contacts, we will still allow ourselves to be subjected to all kinds of ''man made'' marginalisations and harmful govt policies?                     **********Shakes Head**********

Don't you think Igbos are creating a niche to know each other better so that there offsprings can be predisposed to marrying each other. A lot of Nigerian born kids are roaming the streets of America looking for ways to fellowship with their people and I think umu igbo unite is doing a good job of it. Many youths who attended their last year exercise enjoyed it and that was their first time of coming closer to their folks especially those ones whose custodian parents are foreigners. Also none of them ever said anything about Biafra. I am sure you think that wherever Igbos come together, they must be discussing Biafra.
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by AloyEmeka8: 6:35pm On Aug 04, 2010
chosen04:

Are we not ready in a war? War is not only fought in battles alone. Denial of your fundamental rights is kin to war. This what we are experiencing not worst than the ''cold war?''

No we are not at war rather we are in recession. Economic recession, mental recession, social recession and great depression.One of the side effects of that state could be WAR tho.
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by MaziUche0(m): 6:35pm On Aug 04, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

Don't you think Igbos are creating a niche to know each other better so that there offsprings can be predisposed to marrying each other. A lot of Nigerian born kids are roaming the streets of America looking for ways to fellowship with their people and I think umu igbo unite is doing a good job of it. Many youths who attended their last year exercise enjoyed it and that was their first time of coming closer to their folks especially those ones whose custodian parents are foreigners. Also none of them ever said anything about Biafra. I am sure you think that wherever Igbos come together, they must be discussing Biafra.

Agreed! A lot of couples and friendships formed at that event last year.  grin Indeed!
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by AloyEmeka8: 6:39pm On Aug 04, 2010
MaziUche0:

Agreed! A lot of couples and friendships formed at that event last year.  grin Indeed!

Over 60% attendees for this year are doing it for hook ups and nothing more and it seems to be working for them. Personally, I have attended 3 umuigbounite hook up weddings this year and one of the brides is not even igbo, she is ijaw but she attended and collected her husband sharp sharp from there. It is now a melting point for young professionals to find a partner.
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by MaziUche0(m): 6:46pm On Aug 04, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

Over 60% attendees for this year are doing it for hook ups and nothing more and it seems to be working for them. Personally, I have attended 3 umuigbounite hook up weddings this year and one of the brides is not even igbo, she is ijaw but she attended and collected her husband sharp sharp from there. It is now a melting point for young professionals to find a partner.

Uniting indeed. Maybe we should create an Umu Eastern Unite. I would be happy to see Efik women in attendance. So we can discuss business matters, education to name a few. wink
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by chosen04(f): 6:52pm On Aug 04, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

. Also none of them ever said anything about[b] Biafra[/b]. I am sure you think that wherever Igbos come together, they must be discussing Biafra.

For your info. I never said any thing about BIAFRA. But any convention whose aims is just for merry making, spouse pursult, biz contacts and not about articulating the wayforward in an unfriendly environment has ''LOST IT''
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by AloyEmeka8: 6:55pm On Aug 04, 2010
chosen04:

For your info. I never said any thing about BIAFRA. But  any convention whose aims is just for merry making, spouse pursult, biz contacts and not about articulating the wayforward in an unfriendly environment  has ''LOST IT''

And they told you that all they do there are the things you listed above?. By the way, what is this  your idea of the way forward that will entice a body of professional young people who have pitched their tent in America?
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by chosen04(f): 6:59pm On Aug 04, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

And they told you that all they do there are the things you listed above?.

Pls what else do they do? Help me list them.

The way 4ward will follow after your responses
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by Travelista(f): 7:06pm On Aug 04, 2010
Who's actually going to this? I'm in Houston right now but might not actually make it to the gathering.

Out of curiosity: is no one going to the Igbo gathering in Chicago?
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by udezue(m): 7:07pm On Aug 04, 2010
But any convention whose aims is just for merry making, spouse pursult, biz contacts and not about articulating the wayforward in an unfriendly environment has ''LOST IT''[i][/i]
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by AloyEmeka8: 7:09pm On Aug 04, 2010
chosen04:

Pls what else do they do? Help me list them.

The way 4ward will follow after your  responses

They showcase their culture according to different tribes; host professional workshops, eat, merry, introduce each other and many actually put a face to their facebook group, recognize great Igbo achievers and so on. It was from umuigbo convention that stars like  Amobi Okoye, Osi umenyiora, Israel Idonije, Emeka Okafor, Iheanyi Uwaezuoke started the Nigerian charity tour. These dudes rarely knew jack about Naija except Emeka because his parents are richer and he visited often.

Besides, what is your business about what they do?. it's not as if they use your tax to host their convention. Igbos are known for doing similar things around the world and as long as they don't contribute to it and it doesn't stop you from going to the market to buy garri, why are you milking yourself dry over it?. They can fuccing do whatever they want with their money and time. Even if it is only hook up they achieve there, it is something. Do you know how many chics of Yoruba and Ijaw descent roaming in America with no clue on who is their people?. A convention can bring them home eventually. Don't they have social clubs in Nigeria?, Do you go about questioning their motives?
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by chosen04(f): 7:55pm On Aug 04, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

They showcase their culture according to different tribes; host professional workshops, eat, merry, introduce each other and many actually put a face to their facebook group, recognize great Igbo achievers and so on. It was from umuigbo convention that stars like Amobi Okoye, Osi umenyiora, Israel Idonije, Emeka Okafor, Iheanyi Uwaezuoke started the Nigerian charity tour. These dudes rarely knew jack about Naija except Emeka because his parents are richer and he visited often.

Besides, what is your business about what they do?. it's not as if they use your tax to host their convention. Igbos are known for doing similar things around the world and as long as they don't contribute to it and it doesn't stop you from going to the market to buy garri, why are you milking yourself dry over it?. They can fuccing do whatever they want with their money and time. Even if it is only hook up they achieve there, it is something. Do you know how many chics of Yoruba and Ijaw descent roaming in America with no clue on who is their people?. A convention can bring them home eventually. Don't they have social clubs in Nigeria?, Do you go about questioning their motives?

ISI KOTE EBU . . . . . . . . .

A convention without a blue print?

I have been to so many of such conventions . . . . .

Igbo world day
Igbo congresses
Various Igbo days in different places

. . . . . . . . .Do you know that even the governor of Lagos State is decided in most of those Yoruba Social Clubs?

Yet, Igbos meet year in year out without having any blue print or having a stand point on national issues.

Just count me out of this years convention, till . . . . . . . . .
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by udezue(m): 7:59pm On Aug 04, 2010
I've been to UIU twice. They serve their own purpose.
UIA (Chicago) serves its own too. I know what I gain from supporting both. Through UIU I connected with some good people outta town and we've been friends. They share my views hence I have the chance to do things I wouldnt have been able to do alone. Its worth the visit until you find the one that best interests you to join and contribute.

IDG, Igbo Development Group in Houston TX is coming up. We have end of year projects to do back home. I'll open up a thread about it and we will be needing your support.
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by AloyEmeka8: 8:11pm On Aug 04, 2010
chosen04:

ISI KOTE EBU . . . . . . . . .

A convention without a blue print?

I have been to so many of such conventions . . . . .

Igbo world day
Igbo congresses
Various Igbo days in different places

. . . . . . . . .Do you know that even the governor of Lagos State is decided in most of those Yoruba Social Clubs?

Yet, Igbos meet year in year out without having any blue print or having a stand point on national issues.

Just count me out of this years convention, till  .  . . . . .  .   . .

Is that one of the agendas you wish they start before you attend?. Of course, the Yoruba social clubs will decide who will be governor before election: no be una Nigeria?. You Nigerians find it difficult to function in a progressive society . If things are not going the fraudulent way you so desire like deciding who will be a democratic governor before an election, it is not worth it. You forgot that the crowd the umu igbo unite is attracting has different mindset. Some of them will be looking at you like you are from the moon if you start talking about zoning and choosing who will be the next governor of Aba state before election. Please make una try and limit that yamayama fraudulent thinking to Nigeria. Our nation is in dire need of help from collapse because of behaviors like that.

Meanwhile, you have never told me the contents of the blueprint. Since the organizers are here, they may learn from you and add it to their schedule. It is only when you tell them and they refuse to adhere to your advise that you will have the right to spite them and not before.
Re: Umu Igbo Unite Annual Convention - 2010 by chosen04(f): 8:18pm On Aug 04, 2010
udezue:

I've been to UIU twice. They serve their own purpose.
UIA (Chicago) serves its own too. I know what I gain from supporting both. Through UIU I connected with some good people outta town and we've been friends. They share my views hence I have the chance to do things I wouldnt have been able to do alone. Its worth the visit until you find the one that best interests you to join and contribute.

IDG, Igbo Development Group in Houston TX is coming up. We have end of year projects to do back home. I'll open up a thread about it and we will be needing your support.

The idea is great. Its just that most of these gatherings dont serve any ''MAJOR'' purpose towards  the 'emanicipation' of the Igbos  apart from justing helping participats formalise. These conventions should serves as an awaking call for the Igbo nation, until that is done it will even be achieving less purposes than the numerious YOROBU social clubs.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Orji Declares 70 Per Cent Of Aba Structures Illegal / Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Threatens To Strike / Itsekiri Leader Lambasts Chinua Achebe For His Biafranist Propaganda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.