Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,256 members, 7,818,876 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

Is Abortion Morally Permissible? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Abortion Morally Permissible? (4087 Views)

Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? / Is Abortion Advisable? / Is Abortion the same thing as Murder ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by Martinez19(m): 12:57am On Nov 22, 2018
johnydon22:
Do you want to bring up the "it is not human argument too" grin Warning; that won't go so well.

Technically, this is also what you and i are. a cleavage of many cells but this doesn't make you think it is morally permissible to kill me.

Why? i wonder.

But i am just a cleavage of cells.

Actually, an embryo is not remotely close to being the same thing as a spermatozoa or an ovum. It is very apparently different that i didn't expect to see this.

1 is a human offspring
2. is a human cell

connect both to me

So, to be human you must have a heart? Any human that does not have a heart is not human? Let's be sure.
When an embryo is still a cleavage of cells, it AUTOMATICALLY has no consciousness, no feelings and is very much the same as "other cells". That's simple biology. grin Note the key words: embryo and cleavage of cells. Both used together has the implication that consciousness and feelings are out of the picture.

You and I are still indeed cleavage of cells but we are not embryo. We are well beyond the stage of the development of the heart (organ of the body grin) and we have consciousness and feelings. @Coolusername, I said once we are at and beyond the development of the heart, we are human not if you have a heart or a complete and fully functioning one at that. Kanu Nwankwo is well past the stage of the development of the heart grin

All cells are not the same. I placed them in the same category based on the fact that destroying or wasting both does not involve the elimination of consciousness and/or torture of feelings because both have none. I never intended a biological classification here. I thought that was apparent. grin

For me, to be human doesn't mean having a heart. To be human, you must be at or beyond the stage of the development of the heart. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by johnydon22(m): 1:00am On Nov 22, 2018
CoolUsername:

If it's only genetic, is an embryo human?
Yes.
What about a zygote?
yes.
Or a sperm cell?
No. It takes 46 homo sapien chromosomes to make-up the genetic sequence needed for a human.

First answer: The irreversible loss of consciousness already results in death, without a natal environment the early-term foetus will never achieve consciousness. The difference between the dead human and the child is that the human was conscious at some point in the past.
A still born baby is not human?

A dead human?

Second answer: Any specie that is self-aware to human standards should be granted human rights.
Actually the question is; is it human?

Morality would always have some level of ambiguity and arbitrariness, that is where most moral arguments stem from.
Only that in this case, your definition of a human is the subject of ambiguity though

First answer: I cannot give a dictionary definition off the top of my head but I do know the characteristics to look out for. Humans must meet a certain threshold of genetic similarity, intelligence, and self-awareness to the human average population.
Just a biological definition will suffice.

Human definition is not contingent on Isolated capabilities like self awareness or intelligence or 10 fingers or similarities otherwise losing them would logically amount to becoming less human.

Human is a biological class.

Second answer: A foetus that hasn't reached the intelligence and self-awareness threshold should not be afforded the rights of the mother carrying it in her body.
Again, my question didn't ask if a fetus has rights as the mother. My question was; In what way is a fetus not human?

Not by themselves, no.
Therefore an argument based on these is actually a reduction.

I have had arguments on what a human is; philosophical that is, in every evolutionary or biological classification, there is but a single definition of a human and that is "Any member of the homo sapiens specie" or broadly "any member of the homo specie" when accounting for other human species.

Once again, I'm only arguing for abortions of foetuses less than 20 weeks. And no those foetuses shouldn't be compared to comatose people, they could more accurately be compared to other life-forms (first trimester foetus is very similar to a pig foetus for example.

Any life form with neurological capacity of a human should be considered sentient and should be given human rights, not considered human.

Self-awareness is the benchmark that I'm most comfortable with.
There is a difference between; Any life form that is sentient should have human rights (i disagree with this but that will be an argument for another time) and any life form that is sentient is human.

Sentience is a feature of human beings not its definition.

A homo sapiens that is not sentient is still a homo sapiens, a sentient pig isn't a homo sapiens.

As long as we have established that neurological capabilities to not define "homo sapiens" i see no reason why a homo sapiens offspring is not homo spaiens because it is not yet "sentient"

I never said that parents should kill a living child with down's syndrome. But a foetus that has been confirmed to have an extra chromosome (down's syndrome) can be aborted and I would consider that decision to be moral.
Can this be said for every other genetic anomaly or defect that affects human offsprings?
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by johnydon22(m): 1:09am On Nov 22, 2018
Martinez19:
When an embryo is still a cleavage of cells, it AUTOMATICALLY has no consciousness, no feelings and is very much the same as "other cells". That's simple biology. grin Note the key words: embryo and cleavage of cells. Both used together has the implication that consciousness and feelings are out of the picture.
So, anybody that has no consciousness is not human then? Just an unconscious cleavage of cells?

A comatose man is not human then.

You and I are still indeed cleavage of cells but we are not embryo. We are well beyond the stage of the development of the heart (organ of the body grin) and we have consciousness and feelings. @Coolusername, I said once we are at and beyond the development of the heart, we are human not if you have a heart or a complete and fully functioning one at that. Kanu Nwankwo is well past the stage of the development of the heart grin
To get this straight, Human is a stage not s state of being?

Doesn't this imply that developmental complexity connotes something can be more human than the other. LIke: A human adult is more human than a human baby since a human adult is not a baby.

So, there is a point when a human was not human?

What specie is an embryo?

All cells are not the same. I placed them in the same category based on the fact that destroying or wasting both does not involve the elimination of consciousness and/or torture of feelings because both have none.
Consciousness does not define human life.

I never intended a biological classification here. I thought that was apparent. grin
Doesn't this imply you never intended for a human based argument which is the fundamental premise on which abortion can be morally abhorred.

For me, to be human doesn't mean having a heart. To be human, you must be at or beyond the stage of the development of the heart. grin
Therefore; fucck biology. Osheeey grin grin
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by johnydon22(m): 1:19am On Nov 22, 2018
tintingz:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/human
Which of the definitions?

I will like to see the source. Is a fetus alive?
Yes. a fetus is very much alive.

Because it's a moral dilemma.
How so?

Is a fetus alive?
Yes.

It's morally wrong to be a robber because you're stealing from people.
But, but, situations matter don't they? Wasn't that your argument?

Does a fetus knows if it's alive? Why should a rape victim suffer for an unwanted pregnancy?

The premise is not on the ground of why a rape victim should suffer for an unwanted pregnancy, it is on what ground is premeditated murder morally permissible?

So what if a group of people agree abortion is morally good with good reasons, so what?
The moral weight of abortion is contingent on "murder" Until these people agree that "murder" is good, isolating related cases such as abortion would be a reduction to absurdity thereby making the very belief that "murder is wrong" self refuting.

Or do you have evidence a fetus is alive?
That is pretty elementary.
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by tintingz(m): 1:42am On Nov 22, 2018
johnydon22:
Which of the definitions?
Any

Yes. a fetus is very much alive.

How so?

Yes.
Sources please.

But, but, situations matter don't they? Wasn't that your argument?
Does any one finds stealing thier money good?

The premise is not on the ground of why a rape victim should suffer for an unwanted pregnancy, it is on what ground is premeditated murder morally permissible?
Because the victim doesn't want the baby, how many times will I say this?

The moral weight of abortion is contingent on "murder" Until these people agree that "murder" is good, isolating related cases such as abortion would be a reduction to absurdity thereby making the very belief that "murder is wrong" self refuting.
You haven't provide evidence fetus is alive.

That is pretty elementary.
Ok, tell us.
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by Martinez39(m): 1:45am On Nov 22, 2018
johnydon22:
So, anybody that has no consciousness is not human then? Just an unconscious cleavage of cells?

A comatose man is not human then.

To get this straight, Human is a stage not s state of being?

Doesn't this imply that developmental complexity connotes something can be more human than the other. LIke: A human adult is more human than a human baby since a human adult is not a baby.

So, there is a point when a human was not human?

What specie is an embryo?

Consciousness does not define human life.

Doesn't this imply you never intended for a human based argument which is the fundamental premise on which abortion can be morally abhorred.

Therefore; fucck biology. Osheeey grin grin
You are simply misunderstanding me. Look for the meaning of my statements and their logical and scientific implications because I can't state everything. A comatose man is still human because he beyond the stage of development of the heart. I mentioned that development of the heart, no consciousness and feelings, as the only necessary condition to classify as human because a man who is asleep is not conscious of his surroundings but he is well beyond the stage of development of the heart.

Haba! I never spoke on the nature of a human being instead I gave a condition to classify what's inside the womb as human, so which one is To get this straight, Human is a stage not s state of being? a condition for something to become classified as X is not necessarily the same as the nature of X.

Once an embryo is at the stage of the development of the heart, the embryo remains human and cannot grow to become more human. Growth is different from biological evolution.

I never said consciousness defines life. A man asleep and a man in coma are unconscious of their surroundings yet they satisfy the condition I gave so they are human and alive. It's immoral to kill them.

Isn't biological classification all about grouping into kingdoms, phylum,..., genus & specie? I am not doing that. Already it's clear what specie the embryo we are talking about is or does the abortion issue also worry about the abortion of dogs and rabbits? My classification is based on if it's human or not.

Maybe you don't get what I mean by human. Technically, all non-dead cells in a human body are alive but you can't classify a bunch of kidney cells as human in the same way you can't classify a bunch of cleavage of embryonic cells as human. I used the word to refer to a much more collective... erm, you know wink
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by johnydon22(m): 11:10am On Nov 22, 2018
tintingz:
Any
Nope. That is a dictionary, we need a biology definition. So, which of the definitions are we going with?

Sources please.
You need a source that spells out what a living thing is? lol

Does any one finds stealing thier money good?
Your argument is still in the works here. I thought your argument is on the situation. If i was desperate enough, my action would be morally permitted.

Because the victim doesn't want the baby, how many times will I say this?
Does this change the definition of the action? No.

You haven't provide evidence fetus is alive.
Evidence that fetus is alive? Are you kidding me? OK, let me break it down for you elementarily.

What is a living thing?
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by Nobody: 11:21am On Nov 22, 2018
Well Johnny,I don't consider fetuses as humans because they do not possess the qualities that humans do especially the basic ones,but you do,well let's agree to disagree,even if fetuses are also classified as humans I still think it is morally right for a woman to abort a fetus.
Now going back to the first thing I said on this thread,taking human lives is not inherently right or wrong,it all depend on the circumstances involved.By my own standards,I see something as "wrong" if it causes more harm than good to those most directly involved,and as "right" if the reverse is the case.In the scenario,sentiments aside I think the supposed mother, father and the entire society would benefit more if abortion is allowed than if it is disallowed,so this is my basis for saying it is moral,if it were to be proven to me that allowing abortions would do more harm than good to the people involved then that makes it wrong for me, given the conditions cited.
I believe you are not religious so you can relate to this,there is no moral codes written by nature,it is us humans that determine if something is right and is to be accepted or wrong,as far as I am concerned there are only two major ways people arrive at deciding what is Moral or not
1) Intuition this is very broad and I also classify most religious laws in this category because they were made by men and its obvious a lot of them are ridiculous,a lot of laws we find in our legislation are also made through intuition. This is basically saying that something is right because we feel or "our conscience tells us" that its right
2)Reason when you determine morality based on reasoning u judge something to be right or wrong based on the risk benefit ratio,a thing is right of under the conditions or circumstance that they occur they cause more good or happiness than wrong

I must say that none of the two methods can perfectly elucidate morality,but I think the second comes close to it,noow its left for everyone to decide how s/he defines morality,but like I said there is no moral code written anywhere in the universe,human beings choose for themselves what is right or wrong,either doing so subjectively and going by intuition or objectively and going with reason

P.s I have to modify what I said earlier when you asked if it would be murder to carry out an abortion if fetuses where proven to be humans,even if fetuses are classified as humans,taking human life under certain circumstances is not morally wrong and abortion is one of them
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by johnydon22(m): 11:28am On Nov 22, 2018
Martinez39:
You are simply misunderstanding me. Look for the meaning of my statements and their logical and scientific implications because I can't state everything. A comatose man is still human because he beyond the stage of development of the heart. I mentioned that development of the heart, no consciousness and feelings, as the only necessary condition to classify as human because a man who is asleep is not conscious of his surroundings but he is well beyond the stage of development of the heart.
Oh i am not. I am just pointing out the reduction to absurdity of that argument.

If a heart is the necessary condition to be human, it makes anyone without a heart less human.

What you are saying is; there is a stage when a homo sapien is not homo sapien then suddenly becomes a homo sapien or more homo sapien.

I believe that apparently biologically nonsensical.

But tell us; What specie will a homo sapien be at this stage that it is not a homo sapien?
(No organism is without species)

Haba! I never spoke on the nature of a human being instead I gave a condition to classify what's inside the womb as human, so which one is To get this straight, Human is a stage not s state of being? a condition for something to become classified as X is not necessarily the same as the nature of X.
Actually it is the implication of your own assertion.

You said: If it reaches the stage of developing a heart then it is human?

which then begs the question: What is human?

Is human a stage when something develops a heart or a state of being?

So, don't misunderstand the implications of your own argument.

Once an embryo is at the stage of the development of the heart, the embryo remains human and cannot grow to become more human. Growth is different from biological evolution.
How exactly does something go from "not being human" to "human?"

What is human?

The implication of this argument that something was not human then suddenly gets to stage and becomes human leads to a hierarchical order of being human since it is contingent on developmental stage. Your argument is; An embryo that doesn't have a heart is not human, then it develops a heart it becomes human, should this consequentially lead to it becoming more human at the progression of its development? Or do you wish to cut off the consequence of your own argument?

And then my own question: When a pig's embryo develops a heart, does it become human?
p.s; Once an embryo is at the stage of the development of the heart it becomes human

I never said consciousness defines life. A man asleep and a man in coma are unconscious of their surroundings yet they satisfy the condition I gave so they are human and alive. It's immoral to kill them.
Doesn't every other animal satisfy that condition?

Isn't biological classification all about grouping into kingdoms, phylum,..., genus & specie? I am not doing that. Already it's clear what specie the embryo we are talking about is or does the abortion issue also worry about the abortion of dogs and rabbits? My classification is based on if it's human or not.
Actually it is not clear.

You are yet to define what a human is which is necessary for the premise of this argument.

What you are doing is; instead of saying what a human is which is a biological classification; You pick out isolated features like (heart) you think makes something human, the problem is, other species develop heart, so there is nothing that can be demonstrably shown in this your (heart) criteria that changes the essence of something into what we know as "human" it is just like Coolusername setting his own criteria as physiological and neurological.

So, what is human?

Maybe you don't get what I mean by human. Technically, all non-dead cells in a human body are alive but you can't classify a bunch of kidney cells as human in the same way you can't classify a bunch of cleavage of embryonic cells as human. I used the word to refer to a much more collective... erm, you know wink
It is not that i don't get what you mean as human, i am saying that it is vague and arbitrary and doesn't hold up.

Oh yes, a kidney is not human, a kidney is not remotely close to an embryo.

Do you want to commit the fallacy of false equivalence?

Technically, you are also just a cleavage of cells.

So, i ask again; Define human?
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by johnydon22(m): 11:44am On Nov 22, 2018
darkchild64:
Well Johnny,I don't consider fetuses as humans because they do not possess the qualities that humans do especially the basic ones,
Is "human" a quality or a biological classification because we need to establish that and find out which one of us is wrong in our definition.

but you do,well let's agree to disagree,even if fetuses are also classified as humans I still think it is morally right for a woman to abort a fetus.
Cool. we will see if it is.

Now going back to the first thing I said on this thread,taking human lives is not inherently right or wrong,it all depend on the circumstances involved.By my own standards,I see something as "wrong" if it causes more harm than good to those most directly involved,and as "right" if the reverse is the case.In the scenario,sentiments aside I think the supposed mother, father and the entire society would benefit more if abortion is allowed than if it is disallowed,so this is my basis for saying it is moral,if it were to proven to me that allowing abortions would do more harm than good to the people involved then that makes it wrong for me, given the conditions you cite.
Following this logic; Killing you could reduce world population by 1 and thus help in reducing resource depletion.

Should we agree that based on this good that can be derived from killing you or anyone; Murder is good?

I believe you are not religious so you can relate to this,there is no moral codes written by nature,it is us humans that determine if something is right and is to be accepted or wrong,as far as I am concerned there are only two major ways people arrive at deciding what is Moral or not
1) Intuition this is very broad and I also classify most religious laws in this category because they were made by men and its obvious a lot of them are ridiculous,a lot of laws we find in our legislation are also made through intuition. This is basically saying that something is right because we feel or "our conscience tells us" that its right
2)Reason when you determine morality based on reasoning u judge something to be right or wrong based on the risk benefit ratio,a thing is right of under the conditions or circumstance that they occur they cause more good or happiness than wrong
This two methods doesn't sound all that different though

I must say that none of the two methods can perfectly elucidate morality,but I think the second comes close to it,noow its left for everyone to decide how s/he defines morality,
Actually No. Morality is not contingent on individual definitions or it is meaningless.

but like I said there is no moral code written anywhere in the universe,human beings choose for themselves what is right or wrong,either doing so subjectively and going by intuition or objectively and going with reason
Intersubjectively more so but i agree morality is not inherent in the cosmos.

P.s I have to modify what I said earlier when you asked if it would be murder to carry out an abortion if fetuses where proven to be humans,even if fetuses are classified as humans,taking human life under certain circumstances is not morally wrong and abortion is one of them

Here is my rebuttal of your argument above;

Human morality agrees that 'murder' is wrong. the only kind of murder we are inclined to excuse is one based on 'self defense or unintended' even at that is sometimes comes with consequences. But it can be excused.

Now based on this premise that 'murder is wrong' it begs the question 'why?"

Why is contingent on the human belief about the sacredness of human life.

Human means: Any member of the homo sapien specie

Murder means: Premeditated termination of a human life

Abortion premeditated termination of a pregnancy.

Abortion is not wrong because it stops a pregnancy, it is rather because it contradicts the fundamental premise that' 'murder' is wrong as it is in direct and willful termination of human life.

I have heard this line 'fetus' are not human to an absurd stage. Let me make something abundantly clear. "Human" is not a stage or a legal tag, neither is it a neurological or a physiological definition. it is a biological definition.

There is no point when a human is not human but then suddenly becomes human at another stage. a human is always a human. anything that is not human is not human and doesn't suddenly become human.

The stage of being "human" is not a single stage but rather a progression of overlapping stages physically distinguishable. in this sense, there are many stages of being a human:

Human adult
Human adolescent
Human child
Human baby
Human Fetus
human embryo

These are developmental stages of being a human with observable physiological differences. An adult is no more human than an adolescent and so on.

These stages are all humans but are different developmental stages of being "human" but all still human in essence.

An adult is a human at an adult stage (Note: Human is a being, adulthood is a stage), a child is a human at child stage, a baby is a human at baby stage, an fetus is a human at fetal stage, an embryo is a human at embryonic stage.

A being is an absolute state, a stage is developmental.

So, the main reason abortion is wrong, is that it is in direct termination of a "human" life which is the direct definition of "murder"

A sperm is a human cell and so is an ovum. It is an absurd notion to say "a cell is a human" but it is correct to say "a human is made up of cells"

Murder as an action is contingent on the presence of human life. Without human life, there is no murder.

Murder is not morally permissible.
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by tintingz(m): 11:51am On Nov 22, 2018
johnydon22:
Nope. That is a dictionary, we need a biology definition. So, which of the definitions are we going with?

You need a source that spells out what a living thing is? lol
Dude just provide your source that talked about fetus being alive.

Your argument is still in the works here. I thought your argument is on the situation. If i was desperate enough, my action would be morally permitted.
The point is even a robber knows stealing from him is wrong, we don't know the conscious state of a fetus, the suffering of a rape victim is unwanted if she doesn't want to carry it.

Does this change the definition of the action? No.
What action? That a fetus is not wanted?

Evidence that fetus is alive? Are you kidding me? OK, let me break it down for you elementarily.

What is a living thing?
Dude, just tell us how a fetus is alive, a personhood with sources.
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by johnydon22(m): 11:57am On Nov 22, 2018
tintingz:
Dude just provide your source that talked about fetus being alive.
Oh no, asking me to provide such source is like asking me to provide a source that says "a human is alive" there countless sources but i'd rather break it down.

When you say something is alive, what do you mean?

If we establish what we mean by something being alive, we can easily say if a Fetus is alive or not. we can easily say if a baby is alive or not, we can easily say if an amoeba or any single celled organism is alive or not.

So, the first question is: What is a living thing?

The point is even a robber knows stealing from him is wrong, we don't know the conscious state of a fetus, the suffering of a rape victim is unwanted if she doesn't want to carry it.
If a robber thinks otherwise, does it make it right?

What action? That a fetus is not wanted?
Nope. that human life has been terminated which in fact is the definition of 'murder'

Dude, just tell us how a fetus is alive, a personhood with sources.
Exactly that is why the first question is "What does it mean to be alive?"
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by tintingz(m): 12:01pm On Nov 22, 2018
Johnydon22, you talked about murder being universally immoral, you forgot the applications surrounding it.

Muslims believe stoning adulterers or fornicators, killing apostates, homosexuals to death is morally good because their religious manuscript said so, is thier action a murder case?
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by tintingz(m): 12:05pm On Nov 22, 2018
johnydon22:
Oh no, asking me to provide such source is like asking me to provide a source that says "a human is alive" there countless sources but i'd rather break it down.

When you say something is alive, what do you mean?

If we establish what we mean by something being alive, we can easily say if a Fetus is alive or not. we can easily say if a baby is alive or not, we can easily say if an amoeba or any single celled organism is alive or not.

So, the first question is: What is a living thing?

If a robber thinks otherwise, does it make it right?

Nope. that human life has been terminated which in fact is the definition of 'murder'

Exactly that is why the first question is "What does it mean to be alive?"

Dude you said a fetus is alive (something that's still a debate and not concluded in science) , why not tell us how a fetus is a personhood with references.
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by johnydon22(m): 12:12pm On Nov 22, 2018
tintingz:
Johnydon22, you talked about murder being universally immoral, you forgot the applications surrounding it.
Nope. I did not.

I said; Human morality agrees that 'murder' is wrong and this is contingent on the human belief about the sacredness of human life.

Muslims believe stoning adulterers or fornicators, killing apostates, homosexuals to death is morally good because their religious manuscript said so, is thier action a murder case?

I am pretty sure those actions are morally abhorrable and are globally condemned. Can muslims stone a fornicator or an apostate in America? No. They can only do it in an enclosed society where they have absolute authority.
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by johnydon22(m): 12:14pm On Nov 22, 2018
tintingz:
Dude you said a fetus is alive (something that's still a debate and not concluded in science) , why not tell us how a fetus is a personhood with references.

Yes. I said a Fetus is alive and it is in fact is. And i also said a Fetus is a human at fetal stage.

Wait, Personhood and being alive are two different things, please don't conflate both, they are not even remotely similar.

So, you ask me to demonstrate why i think a fetus is a alive, so i first asked to establish what you think being alive means. You are yet to tell me.

I am waiting though, it will make it easy for you to understand.
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 22, 2018
Following this logic; Killing you could reduce world population by 1 and thus help in reducing resource depletion.

Should we agree that based on this good that can be derived from killing you or anyone; Murder is good?
did you see where I said that the harm and good is considered for those most directly involved,the person being killed is being caused the ultimate harm which is death,now compare the harm done to this person to the benefit over 7 billion persons would receive it would be obviously too negligible,so more harm is done than good hence it is wrong.
However in certain circumstances it may be of more profit to a large number of people to cause ultimate harm to one person,that is why Achilles dueled with Boagrius to stop the siege on Thessaly,if the effect of taking one live would cause more benefit than the harm suffered by the person then it is morally permissible,the question should be how do we ascertain that the benefits is greater than the risk

This two methods doesn't sound all that different though
why do you think so ?

Actually No. Morality is not contingent on individual definitions or it is meaningless.
elaborate

[/quote] Here is my rebuttal of your argument above;

Human morality agrees that 'murder' is wrong. the only kind of murder we are inclined to excuse is one based on 'self defense or unintended' even at that is sometimes comes with consequences. But it can be excused.

Now based on this premise that 'murder is wrong' it begs the question 'why?"

Why is contingent on the human belief about the sacredness of human life.

Human means: Any member of the homo sapien specie

Murder means: Premeditated termination of a human life

Abortion premeditated termination of a pregnancy.

Abortion is not wrong because it stops a pregnancy, it is rather because it contradicts the fundamental premise that' 'murder' is wrong as it is in direct and willful termination of human life.

I have heard this line 'fetus' are not human to an absurd stage. Let me make something abundantly clear. "Human" is not a stage or a legal tag, neither is it a neurological or a physiological definition. it is a biological definition.

There is no point when a human is not human but then suddenly becomes human at another stage. a human is always a human. anything that is not human is not human and doesn't suddenly become human.

The stage of being "human" is not a single stage but rather a progression of overlapping stages physically distinguishable. in this sense, there are many stages of being a human:

Human adult
Human adolescent
Human child
Human baby
Human Fetus
human embryo

These are developmental stages of being a human with observable physiological differences. An adult is no more human than an adolescent and so on.

These stages are all humans but are different developmental stages of being "human" but all still human in essence.

An adult is a human at an adult stage (Note: Human is a being, adulthood is a stage), a child is a human at child stage, a baby is a human at baby stage, an fetus is a human at fetal stage, an embryo is a human at embryonic stage.

A being is an absolute state, a stage is developmental.

So, the main reason abortion is wrong, is that is in direct termination of a "human" life which is the direct definition of "murder"

A sperm is a human cell and so is an ovum. It is an absurd notion to say "a cell is a human" but it is correct to say "a human is made up of cells"

Murder as an action is contingent on the presence of human life. Without human life, there is no murder.

Murder is not morally permissible.
I have already stated my basis of determining what is right or wrong,so its either you do not agree with my perspective or you claim that abortions do more harm than good
Summary of my argument
1) I regard an act as morally right if it causes more satisfaction or happiness than dissatisfaction or sadness to those most directly involved
2) I think abortion causes more good than harm considering its effect on the mother, fetus,father and the society
3)On these basis I consider assisted abortion to be morally permissible
If you disagree,you have to fault any of the premises above,my view of morality is clearly stated above,I don't conform to any other
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by LordReed(m): 12:27pm On Nov 22, 2018
I like to judge the morality of an action on this: what impact does it have on the survival/wellbeing of society and/or the individuals that make it up. Abortion, I would say is morally permissible in this light because it could provide for the well being of the mother. Now there are other cases in which it would be detrimental to society, say for instance if humanity is facing eminent extinction due to infertility and a dwindled population, an abortion would be highly immoral under such circumstances. So yes the context in which an action will be taken will affect the morality of that action but with reference to the effect on wellbeing and survival.
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by johnydon22(m): 12:38pm On Nov 22, 2018
darkchild64:

did you see where I said that the harm and good is considered for those most directly involved,the person being killed is being caused the ultimate harm which is death,now compare the harm done to this person to the benefit over 7 billion persons would receive it would be obviously too negligible,so more harm is done than good hence it is wrong.
However in certain circumstances it may be of more profit to a large number of people to cause ultimate harm to one person,that is why Achilles dueled with Boagrius to stop the siege on Thessaly,if the effect of taking one live would cause more benefit than the harm suffered by the person then it is morally permissible,the question should be how do we ascertain that the benefits is greater than the risk
So, the baby killed isn't being caused the ultimate harm which is death?

And i think a good done to a majority weighs better than individual good.

why do you think so ?
Breaking that down would be quite an article. But the conclusion is, both cases ultimately lands to "What i feel is good'

Example A:
Why is A good? because i feel like it.

Example B:
Why is A good? Because it makes Mr Y feel better.
Why is making Mr Y good?

elaborate
If anyone can define what morality it, morality becomes meaningless since it is subject to unlimited range of individual meanings. Such meaning is arbitrary.

For morality and any word in fact to make sense or have a meaning, it must be dependent on a meaning agreed or determined by an intersubjective belief of people.

I think there is an article on Martinez39's thread i elaborated on the nature of morality

I have already stated my basis of determining what is right or wrong,so its either you do not agree with my perspective or you claim that abortions do more harm than good
Summary of my argument
1) I regard an act as morally right if it causes more satisfaction or happiness than dissatisfaction or sadness to those most directly involved
2) I think abortion causes more good than harm considering its effect on the mother, fetus,father and the society
3)On these basis I consider assisted abortion to be morally permissible
If you disagree,you have to fault any of the premises above,my view of morality is clearly stated above,I don't conform to any other

Your conclusion creates a slippery slope: Because if a man who has a daughter is finding it hard to feed his child, is fed up of having a daughter, based on your argument it should be morally permissible to kill such a child.

A woman whose life is being ruined because she has a son is morally permitted to kill such a son.

She is doing herself a favor by liberating herself and putting her life back on track, saving the child a world of poverty and hunger and doing the society a favor by removing more less potential criminal or mouth to feed.

Your moral determinant is a slippery slope.
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by johnydon22(m): 12:40pm On Nov 22, 2018
LordReed:
I like to judge the morality of an action on this: what impact does it have on the survival/wellbeing of society and/or the individuals that make it up. Abortion, I would say is morally permissible in this light because it could provide for the well being of the mother. Now there are other cases in which it would be detrimental to society, say for instance if humanity is facing eminent extinction due to infertility and a dwindled population, an abortion would be highly immoral under such circumstances. So yes the context in which an action will be taken will affect the morality of that action but with reference to the effect on wellbeing and survival.
if a man who has a daughter is finding it hard to feed his child, is fed up of having a daughter, based on your argument it should be morally permissible to kill such a child.

A woman whose life is being ruined because she has a son is morally permitted to kill such a son.

She is doing herself a favor by liberating herself and putting her life back on track, saving the child a world of poverty and hunger and doing the society a favor by removing more less potential criminal or mouth to feed.

These are morally permissible too?

Because that is the problem with such a conclusion, it opens a ground where it can be taken further.
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Nov 22, 2018
So, the baby killed isn't being caused the ultimate harm which is death?

And i think a good done to a majority weighs better than individual good.
I have repeated this several times, the effect on those directly involved is what I consider not just the effect on one person or group,in this case the mother and the fetus are the parties directly involved,the mother wishes to terminate the life of the fetus,I would rather consider the feelings of a grown woman than a 10cm fetus that doesn't have any mentality and emotions when considering who suffers more harm,if the pregnancy is kept against the mothers wish,the mother suffers, the fetus if eventually born would suffer as well and if not raised well as is most likely the case for unwanted pregnancies might end up becoming a vice to the society, so in terms of risk benefit ratio,abortion has more benefits

Breaking that down would be quite an article. But the conclusion is, both cases ultimately lands to "What i feel is good'

Example A:
Why is A good? because i feel like it.

Example B:
Why is A good? Because it makes Mr Y feel better.
Why is making Mr Y good?

If anyone can define what morality it, morality becomes meaningless since it is subject to unlimited range of individual meanings. Such meaning is arbitrary.

For morality and any word in fact to make sense or have a meaning, it must be dependent on a meaning agreed or determined by an intersubjective belief of people.

I think there is an article on Martinez39's thread i elaborated on the nature of morality
Ok, this is another argument,maybe we would discuss mor on this later

Your conclusion creates a slippery slope: Because if a man who has a daughter is finding it hard to feed his child, is fed up of having a daughter, based on your argument it should be morally permissible to kill such a child.

Your moral determinant is a slippery slope.
So what u are basically saying is that in these circumstances you cited there is more benefit in killing the child,well that is where I disagree with you,it would cause more harm to the child than the benefit the parents get,the parent doesn't even get any benefit in my opinion because if that was the case you would find such situations where parents are really willing to do such,so try again the situations you cited doesn't fault my logic,this is not even an argument, in the cases you cited it is very obvious that more harm is done than good,you can do better
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by johnydon22(m): 12:59pm On Nov 22, 2018
darkchild64:

I have repeated this several times, the effect on those directly considered is what is considered not just the effect on one person or group,in this case the mother and the fetus are the parties directly involved,the mother wishes to terminate the life of the fetus,I would rather consider the feelings of a grown woman than a 10cm fetus that doesn't have any mentality and emotions when considering who suffers more harm,if the pregnancy is kept against the mothers wish,the mother suffers, the fetus if eventually born would suffer as well and if not raised well as is most likely the case for unwanted pregnancies might end up becoming a vice to the society, so in terms of risk benefit ratio,abortion has more benefits
But none the less, the fetus is the one who suffers the ultimate harm which is death.

A day old born baby is mentally or emotionally almost inactive, shouldn't mothers also have the moral permissibility to kill them?

Why stop there?

We could conclude it is morally permissible for women to throw babies out in toilets and trashbins as we see everyday since such actions has more benefits given your logic above.

Ok, this is another argument,maybe we would discuss mor on this later
ok

So what u are basically saying is that if in these circumstances you cited,there is more benefit in killing the child,well I disagree with you,it would cause more harm to the child than the benefit the parents get
Why and how does it cause more harm to the child?

That is the slippery slope you have created above.
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by tintingz(m): 12:59pm On Nov 22, 2018
johnydon22:

Yes. I said a Fetus is alive and it is in fact is. And i also said a Fetus is a human at fetal stage.
It's not yet a fact, it's still a debate establishing when a fetus is alive.

Wait, Personhood and being alive are two different things, please don't conflate both, they are not even remotely similar.
undecided

So, you ask me to demonstrate why i think a fetus is a alive, so i first asked to establish what you think being alive means. You are yet to tell me.
When the brain is alive, when the entity is functioning as a human being.

I am waiting though, it will make it easy for you to understand.
I'm waiting for your part.
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by johnydon22(m): 1:03pm On Nov 22, 2018
tintingz:
It's not yet a fact, it's still a debate establishing when a fetus is alive.
Please, what does it mean to be alive?

When the brain is alive, when the entity is functioning as a complete human being.
Wait, what? grin grin

What do you mean by the term "human being"?

I'm waiting for your part.

What do you mean by brain being alive?

If i give examples of animals without brain, should we then conclude based on your definition that they are not alive?

is a plant alive?

Is an amoebe alive?

This will be fun grin
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by AryEmber(f): 1:09pm On Nov 22, 2018
johnydon22:
if a man who has a daughter is finding it hard to feed his child, is fed up of having a daughter, based on your argument it should be morally permissible to kill such a child.

Because that is the problem with such a conclusion, it opens a ground where it can be taken further.
My goodness! Did you study philosophy and logic?
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by tintingz(m): 1:11pm On Nov 22, 2018
johnydon22:
Nope. I did not.

I said; Human morality agrees that 'murder' is wrong and this is contingent on the human belief about the sacredness of human life.

I am pretty sure those actions are morally abhorrable and are globally condemned. Can muslims stone a fornicator or an apostate in America? No. They can only do it in an enclosed society where they have absolute authority.
It's not globally condemned because we still have like 1.6 billion of Muslims in the world that believe in the sharia, killing apostates, homos, adulterers is not murder to them.

There are applications surrounding what should be term murder and what should not, depending on the society.

Some countries legalized abortion while some don't.

So is abortion globally condemned?
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by LordReed(m): 1:12pm On Nov 22, 2018
johnydon22:

No there is no conflict because the fetus has not become an individual member of society. In all the other scenarios you mention we are dealing with individual members of society so the harm to them must be considered.

EDIT:If your question is, is it morally permissible to kill? The answer is still yes under certain circumstances, however none of the scenarios you posit require it.
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by tintingz(m): 1:15pm On Nov 22, 2018
johnydon22:

Wait, what? grin grin

If i give examples of animals without brain, should we then conclude based on your definition that they are not alive?

is a plant alive?

Is an amoebe alive?

This will be fun grin
You're begin to attack fallacy, the discussion in this thread is about abortion, fetus, human not plants or animals.

Kindly, provide your reference establishing the living of a fetus.
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by johnydon22(m): 1:19pm On Nov 22, 2018
tintingz:
It's not globally condemned because we still have like 1.6 billion of Muslims in the world that believe in the sharia, killing apostates, homos, adulterers is not murder to them.

There are applications surrounding what should be term murder and what should not, depending on the society.

Some countries legalized abortion while some don't.

So is abortion globally condemned?

Actually, murder has one definition and that is "premeditated termination of a human life"

I am not talking about the legality behind abortion but the moral permissibility.

At a time, killing an apostate is a way of making heaven in Christian doctrine. They did not change the definition of murder, they simply changed the spiritual implication.

Such is the application with Islamic societies. Murder as a concept is absolute.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by hahn(m): 1:22pm On Nov 22, 2018
johnydon22:

Wait, what? grin grin

is a plant alive?

Is an amoebe alive?

This will be fun grin

These are all non living things
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by johnydon22(m): 1:23pm On Nov 22, 2018
tintingz:
You're begin to attack fallacy, the discussion in this thread is about abortion, fetus, human not plants or animals.
Actually, this is simply showing the reduction ad absurdium of your argument as rebutted.

You said: When the brain is alive, when the entity is functioning as a complete human being.

And this was easily refuted by showing that doesn't determine what being alive means.

And i further asked what a "human being is"

Kindly, provide your reference establishing the living of a fetus.

Oh that is exactly what i want to do by asking you "What it means to be alive"

If you are able to biologically determine what being alive means, it becomes obvious what is alive and what is not.
Re: Is Abortion Morally Permissible? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Nov 22, 2018
But none the less, the fetus is the one who suffers the ultimate harm which is death.
If your 7month pregnant wife suffers complications and Doctors reveal that only one of them would make it,won't you choose your wife,to me the life and feelings of a grown woman is more important than that of a fetus,we should not let intuition get in the way of our reasoning

Aday old born baby is mentally or emotionally almost inactive, shouldn't mothers also have the moral permissibility to kill them?

Why stop there?
Did I say that killing a day old child is murder in all cases,of course if the same criteria as with abortion is met then it is not murder,if a mother gives birth to a child that is severely deformed I believe it is morally permissible to terminate the life of such child as it would be of more benefit to those involved than harm

We could conclude it is morally permissible for women to throw babies out in toilets and trashbins as we see everyday since such actions has more benefits given your logic above.
Like I just said,I think the lives of new born babies could be terminated in certain circumstances but the manner is also important,throwing babies out in toilets and trashbins is very disrespectful to the sanctity of life,so unless u we feel human life should not be respected then any manner of termination is accepted,in this case what I am faulting is not the reason for the killing but the manner,the reason is what justifies it as right or wrong,the manner doesn't really matter,we only emphasize it in order to accord respect,it doesn't change the fact that the child dies irrepcetive of how it is killed,so the manner make the act right or wrong if sentiments get to decide what we see as right or wrong,again that is morality based on intuition,I conform to morality based on reason,maybe there could be some space for intuition,I still have to figure that out

Why and how does it cause more harm to the child?

That is the slippery slope you have created above.
The harm it causes is that the child dies which I described as the "ultimate" harm
The benefit the parents get is that they are relieved of their pain and suffering in bringing up the child,the parents also suffer harm if we are to be practical but let me overlook that and adhere strictly to the scenario u painted
The effect on the society is paradoxical,the child may end up being a liability if s/he is not well raised by the parents or might turn out to be an asset
From my assessment,the parents can achieve their benefit without causing the child ultimate harm by simply sending the child away,if they do so I think it is morally permissible,but taking the child's life when there is an alternative that causes less harm is wrong,so based on this I think the parents would be wrong to cause the child ultimate harm when there is a better alternative

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lets Celebrate The King Of Kings / The New Birth And The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit - When One Becomes A Christian / Top 6 Reasons; Why People DON'T Worship God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 192
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.