Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,110 members, 7,811,127 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:00 AM

Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. (19288 Views)

Boko Haram: Mailafia Refuses To Retract Comments About Northern Governor / APC Asks Mansur Mashi To Retract Comment On Buhari Or Face Recall / Photos From Vice Presidential Debate As Obi Clashes With Osinbajo. See Reactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by deomelo: 11:19pm On Nov 22, 2018
Obasanjo asks AIT to retract false report of meeting with Osinbajo in Ota

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has demanded immediate retraction and apology from African Independent Television (AIT) over a report indicating he had a meeting with Vice President Yemi Osinbajo in his Ota farm in Ogun State.

The television station’s social media segment, Kakaaki Social, on Friday showed a purported Twitter account of Mr Obasanjo with a picture of the former president, Mr Osinbajo, and the Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, at the meeting.

The former president’s demand came barely a month after the National Broadcasting Commission cautioned the television station on the use of user-generated content from the social media on its flagship programme.

Mr Obasanjo in a statement by his media aide, Kehinde Akinyemi, on Friday said the portrayal by the station was false and also demanded an apology for Mr Osinbajo for the embarrassment it might have caused him.

He expressed disappointment in the station’s failure to verify the fake Twitter Account before airing it on the station, stating that he was in Sokoto for the Zero Hunger project at the time the false news was aired by the station.

“It is a fact that severally, the former president has dissociated himself from owning any social media account. Therefore, it is highly disappointing that such sensitive Twitter post would be allowed to go on air without verification by the African Independent Television (AIT),” Mr Akinyemi stated.

Mr Obasanjo also expressed concern over the continuous use of his name by suspected fraudsters on social media platforms, warning that anyone caught in the act would be made to face prosecution.

The former President further urged the media to always be professional in discharging their duties and should refrain from creating unnecessary confusion and heating up the polity.

“There was no meeting with the Vice President anywhere. I was at the airport and was informed that he was around in the lounge and out of courtesy; I felt I should go and greet him. We met, greeted and exchanged pleasantries and I left. That was all,” Mr Obasanjo explained.

“The station should have been very professional and not causing confusion and heating up the polity. That I am not operating any social media account should not be strange to a station like AIT, and for that embarrassment, the Vice President and I deserve an apology,” Mr Obasanjo said.

Earlier, Mr Osinbajo had dismissed claims that the meeting was a closed-door one aimed at lobbying the former president ahead of the 2019 election.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/296955-obasanjo-asks-ait-to-retract-false-report-of-meeting-with-osinbajo-in-ota.html

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by SEGLIZ: 11:26pm On Nov 22, 2018
this unrepentant broadcast outfit in terms of false news.
dopesi and daar com is too desperate.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by solutionmi: 11:30pm On Nov 22, 2018
“There was no meeting with the Vice President anywhere. I was at the airport and was informed that he was around in the lounge and out of courtesy; I felt I should go and greet him. We met, greeted and exchanged pleasantries and I left. That was all,” Mr Obasanjo explained.

“The station should have been very professional and not causing confusion and heating up the polity. That I am not operating any social media account should not be strange to a station like AIT, and for that embarrassment, the Vice President and I deserve an apology,” Mr Obasanjo said.

Earlier, Mr Osinbajo had dismissed claims that the meeting was a closed-door one aimed at lobbying the former president ahead of the 2019 election.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by deomelo: 11:31pm On Nov 22, 2018
SEGLIZ:
this unrepentant broadcast outfit in terms of false news.
dopesi and daar com is too desperate.

I don't know why they haven't yanked their license

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by balanceofterror1(m): 11:37pm On Nov 22, 2018
deomelo:

I don't know why they haven't yanked their license

Pls how do I delete NTA from my TV set?

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by babyfaceafrica: 11:40pm On Nov 22, 2018
when will AIT have sense?..must they live on falsehood?....,terrible journalism!!

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by buhariguy(m): 11:42pm On Nov 22, 2018
What is the gain of the false news.?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by buhariguy(m): 11:44pm On Nov 22, 2018
balanceofterror1:

ask your terrorist leader nnamdi kanu

47 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by iammo(m): 12:16am On Nov 23, 2018
smiley
Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by yerokunphilips: 12:25am On Nov 23, 2018
Have discovered that the PDP have just discovered how strong the VP is most of things working under this government is been supervised by him (N power ,Tradermoni , reform of sars ,discussing with both the youth and elders of Niger Delta to stop bombing of pipe lines ,bring naira back to stablity from over N500 to a dollar ,no VP in the history of Nigeria enjoyed the kind of goodwill he's enjoying ) and they will do everything possible to pull him down not because they hate him but just to discredit him just to win the forthcoming election . They just discovered that some people from south west may vote for APC because him .

52 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by chiefolododo(m): 4:56am On Nov 23, 2018
K
Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by femi4: 4:57am On Nov 23, 2018
balanceofterror1:

Use sandpaper and superglue

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by YoungLionken(m): 5:01am On Nov 23, 2018
Come Nairalanders, Una nor dey sleep? Wey b say even if na 12am, una still dey d game... As for OBJ and AIT, I dey come mk I 1st wake up

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by femmy2010(m): 5:02am On Nov 23, 2018
AIT keep going lower in TV Station Ranking .
Sad

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by RockHard: 5:05am On Nov 23, 2018
Looks like PDP and its affiliates of bloggers and other media outlets are banking on fake news to help them win the upcoming elections.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by Pavore9: 5:06am On Nov 23, 2018
There is no honour in fake news.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by TalkTalkTwins(m): 5:06am On Nov 23, 2018
ok
Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by clapbest(m): 5:06am On Nov 23, 2018
Too many desperados trying to stay relevant

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by Akinz0126(m): 5:06am On Nov 23, 2018
Good morning nairalanders.Una no dey SLP ni
Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by Gistme4styles: 5:06am On Nov 23, 2018
Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by Corrinthians(m): 5:07am On Nov 23, 2018
Who still watches that useless channel? Their picture quality alone makes my eyes go sore, while the audio keep bouncing up and down like a kangaroo on steroids.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by Corrinthians(m): 5:08am On Nov 23, 2018
RockHard:
Looks like PDP and its affiliates of bloggers and other media outlets are banking on fake news to help them win the upcoming elections.
Didnt work for them the last time. Neither would it this time.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by naptu2: 5:13am On Nov 23, 2018
He has often stated that he doesn't have a social media account, but some Nairalanders keep creating threads with content from those fake accounts.

naptu2:

He has repeatedly said that he has no Twitter or Facebook account. There are several people on social media that are impersonating him. Some of those accounts have been shut down, but new ones are springing up everyday.

I have no Facebook, Twitter accounts — Obasanjo

February 24, 2015⁠⁠ Dimeji Kayode-Adedeji

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Monday said social media accounts bearing his name are not his as he is not on any social media platform.

Mr. Obasanjo, while speaking with journalists at his Hilltop Private residence in Abeokuta, reacted to a twitter account, @newsvergeonline linked to his name.

@newsvergeonline had claimed that the former President described the Director of Media and Publicity of the Peoples Democratic Party Presidential Campaign Organisation, Femi Fani-Kayode, as a “democracy wrecker.”

“Fani-Kayode is a democracy wrecker, who’s very fluent in stupidity. Give him food, and he will sing and do “shoki” dance for you,” the tweet read.

Mr. Obasanjo described the social media account as fake being operated by fraudsters.

“I don’t know where this came from. I don’t have any account on either Facebook or Twitter,” Mr. Obasanjo said.

The former President warned those using his name to operate illegal social media accounts to desist, saying he has alerted security agencies to fish out perpetrators.

“Let me say that nemesis will catch up with anyone doing this,” Mr. Obasanjo said. “It is illegal and criminal. If I have to pass any message to the good people of Nigeria, I know how to go about it with no controversy.”

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/177406-i-have-no-facebook-twitter-accounts-obasanjo.html

naptu2:

How does that link prove that it is his Twitter account? He has repeatedly said that he is not on twitter, Facebook and instagram and he has threatened to have those who are masquerading as him prosecuted.

Therefore, it's false and misleading information to present that handle as his.
Read this link.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/177406-i-have-no-facebook-twitter-accounts-obasanjo.html

naptu2:
President Obasanjo is not on twitter. That is a parody account.

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by chiedu7: 5:13am On Nov 23, 2018
APC and lies, Useless party that wants to grant citizenship to cows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asItI3vLBaY

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by thunder74(m): 5:16am On Nov 23, 2018
OBASANJO:-

There was no meeting with the Vice President anywhere. I was at the airport and was informed that he was around in the lounge and out of courtesy; I felt I should go and greet him. We met, greeted and exchanged pleasantries and I left. That was all,” Mr Obasanjo explained.

Osinbajo:-

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by Eliteklaus(m): 5:17am On Nov 23, 2018
APC and mischief be like BUHARI and London (unavoidable)

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by RussianKGB: 5:30am On Nov 23, 2018
balanceofterror1:

Lol NTA must be the most terribly embarrassing and most archaic tv station on this planet.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by ppogba: 5:31am On Nov 23, 2018
In all fairness, AIT has not been careful with that social media segment. If you are familiar with it, you'll discover that most comments there are caustic and some could be terrible. But for a station to just jump headlong into such an issue even without cross-checking their fact is a shame.

You can hardly blame dem sha. That is about one of the few "things" attracting people to them especially after they eased away Gbenga Aruleba.

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by victorazyvictor(m): 5:33am On Nov 23, 2018
buhariguy:
ask your terrorist leader nnamdi kanu

Zombie!
Go and lick Jibril asss

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by bitcoin215: 5:37am On Nov 23, 2018
correct
Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by Temidayo9(m): 5:39am On Nov 23, 2018
That 3gp station, who they watch them self

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Asks AIT To Retract False Report Of Meeting With Osinbajo In Ota. by Nobody: 5:42am On Nov 23, 2018
yerokunphilips:
[s]Have discovered that the PDP have just discovered how strong the VP is most of things working under this government is been supervised by him (N power ,Tradermoni , reform of sars ,discussing with both the youth and elders of Niger Delta to stop bombing of pipe lines ,bring naira back to stablity from over N500 to a dollar ,no VP in the history of Nigeria enjoyed the kind of goodwill he's enjoying ) and they will do everything possible to pull him down not because they hate him but just to discredit him just to win the forthcoming election . They just discovered that some people from south west may vote for APC because him .
[/s]

Brainless comment

(1) (2) (Reply)

Soludo Declares Curfew In 7 Anambra Local Government Areas / 2023: Vote Only Tinubu - South-West Muslims (MUSWEN) / Abdusallam Abubakar & Stella Oduah Indicted In N230B Oil Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.