Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,649 members, 7,813,191 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:25 AM

Demand Of Work Experience Frustration By Employers - What Can Be Done! - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Demand Of Work Experience Frustration By Employers - What Can Be Done! (8334 Views)

Work Experience Program By Federal Ministry Of Youth And Sports Development / Lady Caught On CCTV Dancing Outside Her New Place Of Work After Getting A Job / How To Write The Perfect CV For Someone With No Work Experience (Part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Demand Of Work Experience Frustration By Employers - What Can Be Done! by Biofash: 9:41am On Nov 24, 2018
Mo gba fun e, Oga ni e. The lecture note that most lecturers were using in the 70s and 80s that's the same note they are still using today in the lecture room for Christ sake. How can we then get it right.?
Nigeria we woke up late.
Re: Demand Of Work Experience Frustration By Employers - What Can Be Done! by Komu1048(m): 10:49am On Nov 24, 2018
ednut1:
Nigeria should be recolonised. We have demostrated fukery for too long

Ameen. That's is the only solution to Nigeria
Re: Demand Of Work Experience Frustration By Employers - What Can Be Done! by Venerable612(m): 11:02am On Nov 24, 2018
kenodrill:
Getting work experience is not as difficult as most persons think.just apply as a volunteer worker in any establishment you want to build a career in.you might be absorbed after a while if you are found productive.

In life we must all pay our dues.

This is the undiluted truth!

I worked for free in 4 different law firms here in the UK... two in London, 2 in Chester and my School was in Wales - just to get my first legal experience.

Without those - no one will take you serious - unless you have got some connections or Gods grace just helped.

Buh at some point - everyone must pay their dues. The failure with Nigerian youths is in thinking anyone owes them a good job, paying a good money, immediately after graduating.

Many people spend 5-6 years just getting ahead, making the right connections and working really hard to be the best at their stuffs. After then, you can make any demand and even decide which pay structure or company you want to work for - cos only then will you be offering real value.

There are some people who get on lucky to land the high paying jobs - but everyone with different fates.

Thing is life isn’t fair to anyone - so get on with it and nip it in the bud!

PS; although I still think the OP is right abt the shambles curriculum in Nigerian universities. I still don’t know how Nigerian Law students spend 5 years for a course that takes only 3 years in the Uk. Such a waste of precious time and energy studying irrelevant courses.
Re: Demand Of Work Experience Frustration By Employers - What Can Be Done! by Afodami: 11:38am On Nov 24, 2018
True talk,that's why most politician send their children to abroad to study.
The most painful moments is when employer are asking for 5 years experience.
Re: Demand Of Work Experience Frustration By Employers - What Can Be Done! by BamBella(m): 12:01pm On Nov 24, 2018
Venerable612:

This is the undiluted truth!

I worked for free in 4 different law firms here in the UK... two in London, 2 in Chester and my School was in Wales - just to get my first legal experience.

Without those - no one will take you serious - unless you have got some connections or Gods grace just helped.

Buh at some point - everyone must pay their dues. The failure with Nigerian youths is in thinking anyone owes them a good job, paying a good money, immediately after graduating.

Many people spend 5-6 years just getting ahead, making the right connections and working really hard to be the best at their stuffs. After then, you can make any demand and even decide which pay structure or company you want to work for - cos only then will you be offering real value.

There are some people who get on lucky to land the high paying jobs - but everyone with different fates.

Thing is life isn’t fair to anyone - so get on with it and nip it in the bud!

PS; although I still think the OP is right abt the shambles curriculum in Nigerian universities. I still don’t know how Nigerian Law students spend 5 years for a course that takes only 3 years in the Uk. Such a waste of precious time and energy studying irrelevant courses.

Hey! We are talking about Nigeria here, it's difficult getting a volunteering job here. No firm wants to give you the opportunity to work even though they know you are not demanding for pay.

2 Likes

Re: Demand Of Work Experience Frustration By Employers - What Can Be Done! by Venerable612(m): 12:37pm On Nov 24, 2018
BamBella:

Hey! We are talking about Nigeria here, it's difficult getting a volunteering job here. No firm wants to give you the opportunity to work even though they know you are not demanding for pay.

That’s not true too!

I have had 2 separate legal experience in Nigeria as well. Nd I met students who grad from Nigerian universities doing same. If you committed enough you will ALWAYS get a place to start off. Problem is youths want to start big - which is itself not wrong. Buh the bible itsef says we shouldn’t despise the days of small beginnings. I don’t agree there are no firm/companies offering these.
Re: Demand Of Work Experience Frustration By Employers - What Can Be Done! by deleo16(m): 12:47pm On Nov 24, 2018
Confusion break Bone

Re: Demand Of Work Experience Frustration By Employers - What Can Be Done! by bukas15(m): 3:12pm On Nov 24, 2018
sircrabo:
It's annoying studying computer science in school but still patronising I.T schools like NIIT,Aptech...

what then is the essence of a comp Sci degree?

I know how much I spent to acquire practical knowledge in different fields of I.T, yet I have a Comp Sci degree

employers seek for 5 - 7 yrs work experience. how do I get the experience if I don't get employed? Nigeria is too frustrating and kills dreams. Every year I watch myself get older.

It is well sha
pls where is NIIT located.
Re: Demand Of Work Experience Frustration By Employers - What Can Be Done! by themanderon: 4:13pm On Nov 24, 2018
Truth is our education system is not designed to solve problems that are local to us. Its just garbage in and garbage out.
It has been in serious need of overhaul but who will do it? Everybody is just seeking after their own pockets that nobody is thinking about our future.
Is it the ASUU full of analogue brains that are eternally locked in a battle with the Federal government that are full of quota system misfits that will have the time to reorganize our educational system?
A pathetic excuse for a country.

1 Like

Re: Demand Of Work Experience Frustration By Employers - What Can Be Done! by explorerwebs: 2:27am On Nov 26, 2018
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Indeed, our experiences are common, likewise our pains. This is because, we all are Nigerians, we passed through the system and we can see from a better perspective now.

People might say, where will this get to. I feel we should reply them saying, if it all depends on us, we will do our part to make those in authority to see this and act on our resolutions.

This thread has been created on Twitter, please let's retweet over there also. https://twitter.com/OluwajuwonOban1?lang=en

We are on a movement to save the future of Nigeria (The future of our siblings, friends and other fellow Nigerians).

It's our collective effort that can make the difference.

Thanks once again and let's keep sharing/retweet.

Oluwajuwon Obaniyi.
A Concerned Nigerian Youth.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Technical Aid Corps (TAC) List Of Shortlisted Candidates 2012-2014(1st Batch) / Federal Medical Centre, Yenagoa Job Recruitment (29 Positions) / Standard Chartered Bank: Teller Portharcourt Recruitment.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.