Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,552 members, 7,827,060 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway (4045 Views)

Army Reacts To Allegations Of Soldiers Complaining About Unpaid Allowance / Anybody Complaining About Buhari Is Wasting His Time – Diya Oladipo / if you dont know any of these, you shouldn't be discussing nigerian politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Justcash(m): 2:56am On Jul 28, 2010
Nigerians can be very funny. How can we expect to have world class facilities without paying for them?
When we travel abroad and see clean and beautiful road networks we condemn the Nigerian government, forgetting that the roads abroad are heavily paid for. For instance, in Malaysia, almost every Nigerian resident there drives (Majority are students), and they pay the toll fees there, without raising questions.

About the issue of cost, it will certainly reduce as the private firms gradually approach their break even point. The cost will keep going down over time , just as it happened in the telecommunication sector.

If there must be world class roads, hospitals, security, Educational provision etc, they need to be paid for[b] in one way or the other[/b].

I read this article below about the Lekki-Epe Expressway tolls, and came to a realisation that it may really be a problem to provide efficient basic infrastructures to Nigerians, especially in collaboration with the private sector, because Nigerians prefer not to pay for them.
Development comes at a great cost. Ask Citizens of developed nations, they'll tell you.

Unending controversy over tolls on Lekki-Epe Expressway

Jul 27, 2010
By Jude Njoku, Kingsley Adegboye, Bose Adebayo Adebayo & Olasukanmi Akoni

WHEN in April 2006, the Lagos State government engaged Messrs Lekki Concession Company (LCC) to upgrade and expand the 49.5 kilometre Lekki-Epe expressway under a build-operate-transfer (BOT) model, many did not understand the full implications of the Public Private Partnership (PPP) scheme designed to ease the usual traffic gridlock along the road.

But with the first phase of the project almost completed, the proposed collection of tolls on the road expected to commence next month, is now generating mixed feeling among residents  of the highbrow neighbourhood. While some residents are in support of the project, others have vehemently kicked against it. Their opposition is mainly based on the proposed collection of tolls.

The contractual agreement between the concessionaire and the State Government provides for three toll plazas where users of the road will pay a stipulated fee before  exiting the 49.5 kilometre road. Aggrieved residents of the area however claim that the plazas will not only fence them off their community but will also subject them to unfair financial burdens.

A traditional ruler who pleaded anonymity told Vanguard Features that the project has numerous flaws. According to him, there was no due consultation with the leaders of the community before the project was embarked upon,”The project will help the community in its own little way but only a section of the community was carried along while the rest were ignored by the stakeholders.

My grouse is this: “How can the government wake up overnight and decide to construct three toll gates in one community and expect residents to pay the tolls?  A lot of people are of the opinion that those of us living in Lekki are wealthy without considering the fact that many of us are still living in our fathers’ houses. Do they expect us to go and rob before to  pay the tolls?’‘ he asked.

A technician who gave his names as Uche Edike said LCC should have waited for a while before introducing tolls. ‘’ It is a 30- year project, why is the company in a hurry to collect tolls when a substantial part of the project is yet to be done?

To me, only five per cent of the project has been completed and I believe you must see what you want to buy before paying for it. I am not against the project because it will bring development to our community but I guess there is a game behind it and only the government could give us a tangible explanation,’‘ said Edike.

Another resident of the area, Mr.Willy Badmus echoed similar views. Said he: “ I know Tinubu wants to indict Fashola on this project. Fashola has been doing well in Lagos but this idea is nothing but a burden to our community. The government should be interested in poverty eradication instead of adding to our problems. We must pay tolls whether we have eaten or not, this is nothing but slavery. This is not done in other developed countries of the world.

A commercial driver who introduced himself as Gbogbo Irawo said that collection of tolls on the road will bring hardship to the community. “There is no basis for a toll gate. We will resist any hardship that we are being deliberately subjected to by the State government and LCC.  The toll collection is unacceptable for now as it is unfair to all motorists plying the Lekki-Epe expressway.

The government and LCC should sit down and rethink the idea in a way that will benefit the entire community,” he said. According to him, the communities were left in the dark and wondered why projects initiated by the government in the Lekki corridor should be geared towards making profits and impoverishing the residents. “The state government cannot force the decision to pay tolls down our throats. Let me make it clear,  anyone who intends to erect toll plazas on that road in exchange for its expansion has made an economic misadventure.

No doubt, we want the road, but to ask us to pay toll is impossible. Moreover, the government is supposed to provide roads since we are tax payers but we cannot afford to bear the cost of the tolls,” he said.

A taxi driver Adewale Alamu also gave reasons why they are opposed to tolls on the road. “We are opposed to tolls. There is no doubt that the community needs good roads but we should not be allowed to pay through our nose since our tax will speak for us. Fashola should take it softly  or he will not go for a second term,”  he said.

Why tolls will commence in August -LCC

Despite the ongoing controversy over the commencement of tolls on the Lekki -Epe Expressway, the concessionaire, Messrs Lekki Concession Company (LCC) Limited, says it has met all the requirements stipulated in the contractual agreement to commence collection of tolls on the ever-busy expressway.

LCC’s Head of Corporate Affairs, Mr Charles Imebvore told Vanguard  that key elements stipulated in the agreement signed with Lagos state under Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu to be in place, have been completed and are already in use.

The key elements in the first phase, according to Imebvore include the completion of work on the first six kilometres of the carriageway, reconstruction of the First Roundabout, construction of a new Second Roundabout, expansion of the Exxon Mobil Bridge from four to six lanes and completion of the Admiralty Circle Plaza.

Mr. Imebvore said the commencement of tolls on the Lekki Toll Road is subject to the inspection and certification of completed sections of the road as fit  by an internationally certified independent Engineer.

The Engineer, he said, has already inspected the road and will submit his report within the next ten days. ‘We have received information that portends positive outcome, hence the possible commencement of tolling at the end of July or in August, 2010.’‘ The toll rates, he said, will be announced at least two weeks before tolling commences.

The LCC spokesman who noted that there are alternative routes for those who do not want to pass through the toll plazas, however pointed out that it is the responsibility of the state government to create the alternative routes.

“Regarding road users who do not wish to pay toll, alternative routes exist for such people. Road users who do not wish to pay toll will be able to bypass the Toll Plaza using the alternative routes that have already been provided. Regardless of this, they will still be able to return onto the new Lekki-Epe Expressway, use it and enjoy other services provided by LCC, until they get to the next Toll Plaza and decide whether to pay toll or take the next alternative route,” he stated.

On toll payment procedures, he explained that road users will have the option of paying their tolls via electronic means or cash. He said the electronic mode of payment involves the use of smart cards called “SwiftPass” and an electronic device known as eTag.

“We are encouraging people to make toll payments via electronic means because of the discounts available on this platform and the added convenience it offers.

discounts will also be given to commercial bus operators to avoid increase in transport  faces”, he said. It is expected that the payment platforms will be expanded to include mobile phones in the near future

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/07/27/unending-controversy-over-tolls-on-lekki-epe-expressway/
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Justcash(m): 3:22am On Jul 28, 2010
If we had a sensible Federal government this should have been done in every federal highway, and alternative means of transportation like Bus and rail should be provided to ease the pressure of vehicular movement on the roads. Anyway, I don't doubt the fact that NLC will embark on strike immediately to frustrate the effort, just like PHCN workers threatened to do about the privatisation of the electric power sector. I am starting to think that we need a pro-developmental dictatorial leader like Lee Kuan yew that will act positively without caring about protests. These things will create jobs, save lives, ensure security of highways and boost business viability of Nigeria.
This is exactly what Fashola is trying to do. If you cannot keep paying for the toll, use the BRT, Taxi (The toll will be subsidized for them with time) and LRT (Which is being constructed)

Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Justcash(m): 3:44am On Jul 28, 2010
There is a price to pay for this.

Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Becomrich0: 3:48am On Jul 28, 2010
Is that the picture of lekki or 419.

I know there are not so many the in lagos.
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Justcash(m): 3:54am On Jul 28, 2010
Becomrich0:

Is that the picture of lekki or 419.

I know there are not so many three in lagos.

Nah! It's not a pic of a Lagos road. It's a foreign road, with a semblance of what an efficient Lagos road can look like.
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by labalaba4: 8:08am On Jul 28, 2010
Phuck off, you spawn of thieves!!! Jakande did not toll this road or take all our land because of it. What gives Tinubu and Fashola to do that? Come and collect the toll, make we see. Armed robbers. Thunder faya all of una collective nyanshes!!! angry angry angry angry
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by yemmight(m): 8:41am On Jul 28, 2010
labalaba4:

Phuck off, you spawn of thieves!!! Jakande did not toll this road or take all our land because of it. What gives Tinubu and Fashola to do that? Come and collect the toll, make we see. Armed robbers. Thunder faya all of una collective nyanshes!!! angry angry angry angry

I am not surprised. You know labalaba will never firm going by your name.
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Justcash(m): 12:19pm On Jul 28, 2010
labalaba4:

Cool down man! Yes, Jakande did not ensure the collection of tolls on the roads, the question is what was the condition of the roads after that?

My point is that if you must demand to get efficiency and modern basic facilities, you need to bear some pain and pay for it. If your land is not collected, and your houses/ markets that stood on the way of achieving modernization were not demolished, how can you expand roads and build world class facilities like the LRT that you yearn for and applaud? How will you sustain them?
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by philip0906(m): 12:22pm On Jul 28, 2010
@justcash
u dey japan dey rant. . .poor man(over 70% of d populace) never c food chop,na 2 pay tax wey him no go c d result go come dey him head,my friend stop talkng like a foreigner who is alien 2 d problems in d society and put your self in d shoes of d common man who lives on less than a dollar a day undecided
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Justcash(m): 1:32pm On Jul 28, 2010
philip0906:

@justcash
u dey japan dey rant. . .poor man(over 70% of d populace) never c food chop,na 2 pay tax wey him no go c d result go come dey him head,my friend stop talkng like a foreigner who is alien 2 d problems in d society and put your self in d shoes of d common man who lives on less than a dollar a day undecided

Lol! Guy! You dey yarn dust! You think say they build Japan, U.S , U.K etc without pain?
Who told you that I'v not been affected by the process? So, because you saw japan under my user name, you feel say I just perch here Without having to be home multiple times every month. I do business, and I partly depend on Nigeria, Lagos included, to strive.
The process of genuine nation building comes with pain. If na FG dey do this stuff, I for know say na joke. Fashola is serious about it, and I'v seen factors that have shown how serious he is. This is out of my experience in genuinely developing nations.
Fact remains that if Lagos state is to be cleaned up and made attractive to investors, which will create jobs (Employment), alot of people will feel the pain. This is because many structures were built in an unregulated manner. These things need to be regulated if there will be any meaningful step towards salvaging lagos from it's "slum" state. Until that is done, Lagos state cannot reach it's full potential.

On the other hand, private sector investment in a country ensures efficiency and comes at a price, because no investor would invest just to make the populace happy and lose his invested capital/profit.
A regulated society is a Conditio sine qua non for development.
Going by your rant, we can remain the happiest people in the world and wallow in abject poverty. Yet you will be the first to react if bbc describes lagos as a slum.
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by philip0906(m): 1:42pm On Jul 28, 2010
^^
my friend,like i said and i maintain,u r alien 2 d problems in our country. . .these countries u mentioned 4rm japan,us,uk if u don't know,let me tell u now. . .THE GOV'T PROVIDED D FOUNDATION 4 DEVELOPMENT AND THUS D CITIZENS RECIPROCATED BY PAYING THEIR TAXES AND PERFORMING THEIR OBLIGATIONS 2 D SOCIETY.THE U.S,UK,JAPAN(dat u mentioned)PROVIDED A SOLID POLITICAL PLATFORM 2 ENCOURAGE INVESTMENT AND OTHER THINGS.A country like ours where d govt have done absolutely nothing,we r still battling 2 sustain our "weak democracy".Not even d basics(light,water,roads) have been provided and how d'u expect investors 2 come in here?or those dat have worked under d severe economic and infrastructural decay and made their money 2 invest back into a system dat never gave them any leverage?or moreso,d masses who live on less than a dollar a day 2 willingly pay their taxes when all u read and c on d papers and news is embezzlement of funds?
The gov't have 2 lay d foundation,then we d masses take off 4rm there else,things will just remain like this. . .
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Kobojunkie: 1:44pm On Jul 28, 2010
Justcash:

Cool down man! Yes, Jakande did not ensure the collection of tolls on the roads, the question is what was the condition of the roads after that?

I can answer that question for you. The roads were in good condition and well maintained throughout the Jakande era. We had at that time found a sort of solution to the drainage problem in Lagos as well. The state worked to generate revenue through taxes and other ventures to ensure that people had access to utilities at affordable prices. So Lagos roads were pliable and maintained during the Jakande era.
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Fhemmmy: 1:46pm On Jul 28, 2010
With the govt spending billions celebrating one day that we should be ashamed of.
With govt allocating millions for marriages and funeral, how would they have money to take care of the roads.
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Justcash(m): 2:55pm On Jul 28, 2010
philip0906:

^^
my friend,like i said and i maintain,u r alien 2 d problems in our country. . .these countries u mentioned 4rm japan,us,uk if u don't know,let me tell u now. . .THE GOV'T PROVIDED D FOUNDATION 4 DEVELOPMENT AND THUS D CITIZENS RECIPROCATED BY PAYING THEIR TAXES AND PERFORMING THEIR OBLIGATIONS 2 D SOCIETY.THE U.S,UK,JAPAN(dat u mentioned)PROVIDED A SOLID POLITICAL PLATFORM 2 ENCOURAGE INVESTMENT AND OTHER THINGS.[/b]A country like ours where d govt have done absolutely nothing,we r still battling 2 sustain our "weak democracy".Not even d basics(light,water,roads) have been provided and how d'u expect investors 2 come in here?or those dat have worked under d severe economic and infrastructural decay and made their money 2 invest back into a system dat never gave them any leverage?or moreso,d masses who live on less than a dollar a day 2 willingly pay their taxes when all u read and c on d papers and news is embezzlement of funds?
[b]The gov't have 2 lay d foundation
,then we d masses take off 4rm there else,things will just remain like this. . .

What government are you talking about? The PDP led FG or the AC led Lagos state government?  You expect the AC led state government to perform miracles under a severe antagonistic condition supported by the PDP led FG?
Guy you are bereft of knowledge about  the modern means of ensuring societal development even without the availability of inflow of funds to do so. Lagos state depends more on private sector collaboration, and a little on tax to make the little developments that you see feasible. Fashola is using Singapore as a model. Go and do a research about Singapore, then you will know what it takes to salvage a slum in few years.
Do you think that If Lagos under Fashola had the opportunity to provide their own electricity for their own use there would not have been lots of progress by now?
You must understand that you cannot create jobs by just sticking to the way things are. New things needs to happen for jobs to be created. The way Lagos state was before Fashola, it would have taken heavenly intervention for FDI to flow in effectively. With the way things are going in Lagos, I see a huge inflow of investors.
I was expecting to get some criticisms from individuals with lack of foresight. It is all about now, now and now. What about the future? What Singaporeans, Americans, British etc enjoy now are as a result of the sacrifice of their fore-fathers. People went hungry, homeless and devastated for their societies to be built. That is What Nigeria lacks, and that is why we are suffering for the negligence of our fathers.

Kobojunkie:

I can answer that question for you. The roads were in good condition and well maintained throughout the Jakande era. We had at that time found a sort of solution to the drainage problem in Lagos as well. The state worked to generate revenue through taxes and other ventures to ensure that people had access to utilities at affordable prices. So Lagos roads were pliable and maintained during the Jakande era. 

There is actually no basis of comparing Jakande and Fashola because the conditions of their governance differ. So quit all these bull crap!
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Fhemmmy: 2:57pm On Jul 28, 2010
Let them show us what they have done with the money they have made so far in all level of government, then, they can start complaining.
The other nations that they are talking about, collects money and people see what they have done with the money, unlike Nigeria's govt that lace their wallet with the money
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by babapupa: 3:00pm On Jul 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Unfortunately for you again, good reasoning and common sense did you wrong.

1. Jakande's road was a basic rural road serving fishing villages like lekki and beyond.

2. Lekki, AJah and all the bustling areas all the way to Epe were less populated and less traveled.

3. The entire population of the area and Lagos state in  general was less than 7 million.

4. Jakande didn't have the less than glamorous responsibilities of dealing with and providing infrastructures for a 18 million + 10,00/day moving in like the current State government.

Use your head sometimes,
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by babapupa: 3:10pm On Jul 28, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Let them show us what they have done with the money they have made so far in all level of government, then, they can start complaining.
The other nations that they are talking about, collects money and people see what they have done with the money, unlike Nigeria's govt that lace their wallet with the money

U mean you can not see what Fashola is doing with the tax payer's money?

What about the Teachers? Are they getting paid or not?

What about the street sweepers? Are they getting

What about the civil service and government agencies ? Are they getting paid or not?

What about the built roads and bridges and the ones under construction? Where did the money came from?

What about the hospitals and maternal health centers? Who is paying for them?

What about the Schools and driver's institutes? Where is the money coming from?

What about money spent on transportation infrastructures like jetties, rail system and freeways?

I hope na joke you dey joke sha,
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Kobojunkie: 3:13pm On Jul 28, 2010
Justcash:

There is actually no basis of comparing Jakande and Fashola because the conditions of their governance differ. So quit all these bull crap!

Oh!! Now there is none? lol  . .  dude, you made the attempt to compare the two cases . . . I just answered the question for you so you understand how absurd your argument will be if you attempt to compare the two. Simple!!! Some of us lived through those days and know that the two governors approached things differently too.
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Fhemmmy: 3:20pm On Jul 28, 2010
babapupa:

U mean you can not see what Fashola is doing with the tax payer's money?

What about the Teachers? Are they getting paid or not?

What about the street sweepers? Are they getting

What about the civil service and government agencies ? Are they getting paid or not?

What about the built roads and bridges and the ones under construction? Where did the money came from?

What about the hospitals and maternal health centers? Who is paying for them?

What about the Schools and driver's institutes? Where is the money coming from?

What about money spent on transportation infrastructures like jetties, rail system and freeways?

I hope na joke you dey joke sha,

I am sure you could read my post when i said, all levels of govt.
There is no doubt about it that Fashola has done well, but one state out of 36, is still a bad mark.
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by babapupa: 3:24pm On Jul 28, 2010
Fhemmmy:

I am sure you could read my post when i said, all levels of govt.
There is no doubt about it that Fashola has done well, but one state out of 36, is still a bad mark.

You should be more specific. All levels of government could be easily termed all levels of Lagos state government because this discussion is about Lagos state.
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Fhemmmy: 3:29pm On Jul 28, 2010
babapupa:

You should be more specific. All levels of government could be easily termed all levels of Lagos state government because this discussion is about Lagos state.

All level of govt means Federal, State and Municipal.
Yes, was about Lagos, but i was ahead of that
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Justcash(m): 3:31pm On Jul 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Oh!! Now there is none? lol  . .  dude, you made the attempt to compare the two cases . . . I just answered the question for you so you understand how absurd your argument will be if you attempt to compare the two. Simple!!! Some of us lived through those days and know that the two governors approached things differently too.

Jakande built roads and the roads were neglected after his tenure. Fashola built roads under long-term concessionary arrangements that will ensure the maintenance of the roads for multiple years after his tenure. This was the reason for the statement I made.

However, there is still no basis for comparison since Jakande led 20+ years before Fashola, and the political order during his time was different.
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Fhemmmy: 3:33pm On Jul 28, 2010
Justcash:

Jakande built roads and the roads were neglected after his tenure. Fashola built roads under long-term concessionary arrangements that will ensure the maintenance of the roads for multiple years after his tenure. This was the reason for the statement I made.

However, there is still no basis for comparison since Jakande led 20+ years before Fashola, and the political order during his time was different.

I may be wrong oh . . . So if i am, please correct me.
Is it not one of the roads that people said the rain washed off recently ?
Not sure the location oh, but like i said, if i am wrong, please correct me
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Kobojunkie: 3:38pm On Jul 28, 2010
Justcash:

Wrong!! Before Jakande were the millitary rulers who cared little about developing much of Lagos as they only had to focus on the Federal projects. Jakande came in and remade Lagos into the metro that it is today. He brought Lagosians in as shareholders in the Lagos idea and dream. Jakande built road, and facilities under long-term concessionary arrangements as well. The roads, facilities(LSTC, LTV, Schools, General Hospitals) etc were maintained even through Mudashiru's military government but ran into problems after military mode took over fully, under Babangida, and Mike Aigbe. Contracts were not renewed and decay set in. The statement is not valid still!

Justcash:

The political order during his time was not much different considering back then, there was no Abuja and Lagos was about the only part of Nigeria moving forward even to this date.
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Justcash(m): 3:40pm On Jul 28, 2010
Fhemmmy:

I may be wrong oh . . .  So if i am, please correct me.
Is it not one of the roads that people said the rain washed off recently ?
Not sure the location oh, but like i said, if i am wrong, please correct me

If the road is under a Concessionary agreement, the company responsible for collecting tolls will repair the road. They will do it fast to avoid going against their contract and losing the concession. That is the beauty of the agreement.
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by TheOne2(m): 3:45pm On Jul 28, 2010
Guy

I'm a Fashola supporter because I see his vison but I must confess that they got it wrong on this one. It is a very callous idea that someone will pick up a fully functional 4 lane road, add one lane on both sides making it six lanes and then erect 3 toll gates within 30 kilometers and collect toll for 30 years!! Ahn Ahn, make we dey fear God now?

The most painful part is that they are now fencing off the entire stretch of road for greed purposes. A lot of people with property facing the road have seen their businesses nearly wiped out. If you look closely at the pix of the fenced toll road above, you will see that there are fully functional roads after the fence to serve those people but in Nigeria we prefer to import the toll and fence but not import provision of service roads as seen in the picture.

In summary, the whole transaction is brazen robbery and that it the point of the opposition. If people had been carried along, solutions would have been found and all the issues sorted but you don't just think you can bulldoze people with the instrument of government. Do you know that if you live around Sangotedo and work in VI, and lets say toll is 200 naira per pass (hypothetical though I've heard rumours this is it), you will spend 1200 naira DAILY on toll!! And you expect people to keep quiet? Again, for somebody like me who would prefer to stioll ply the old road, what is my alternative? Force me to pay 1200 naira daily? Do I have to swim the ocean to get to VI if I don't have money to pay? People forget that there are villagers in these places. Yes, the same way your village might be Ozubulu in Anambra is how you have villagers here too who are barely surviving. Yet, you just want to come and make things more expensive for them.

Solution: Might be impractical but if everybody living in Lekki from phase one down to Epe collate their taxes together monthly, I KNOW that in a year or two it will be enough to pay for the road. And you ask, are people in the area not entitled to enjoy government infrastructure? There's no single government hospital except in Epe. Only one school at Ikota which I don't think can take 100 pupils. So what exactly is the huge taxes paid by stakeholders there supposed to afford them? Subsidize ather parts of the state when they are living with government discomfort? Please let's think this thing through properly and not be carried away by sentiments.

My 2 cents,
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Fhemmmy: 3:48pm On Jul 28, 2010
The One:

Guy

I'm a Fashola supporter because I see his vison but I must confess that they got it wrong on this one. It is a very callous idea that someone will pick up a fully functional 4 lane road, add one lane on both sides making it six lanes and then erect 3 toll gates within 30 kilometers and collect toll for 30 years!! Ahn Ahn, make we dey fear God now?

The most painful part is that they are now fencing off the entire stretch of road for greed purposes. A lot of people with property facing the road have seen their businesses nearly wiped out. If you look closely at the pix of the fenced toll road above, you will see that there are fully functional roads after the fence to serve those people but in Nigeria we prefer to import the toll and fence but not import provision of service roads as seen in the picture.

In summary, the whole transaction is brazen robbery and that it the point of the opposition. If people had been carried along, solutions would have been found and all the issues sorted but you don't just think you can bulldoze people with the instrument of government. Do you know that if you live around Sangotedo and work in VI, and lets say toll is 200 naira per pass (hypothetical though I've heard rumours this is it), you will spend 1200 naira DAILY on toll!! And you expect people to keep quiet? Again, for somebody like me who would prefer to stioll ply the old road, what is my alternative? Force me to pay 1200 naira daily? Do I have to swim the ocean to get to VI if I don't have money to pay? People forget that there are villagers in these places. Yes, the same way your village might be Ozubulu in Anambra is how you have villagers here too who are barely surviving. Yet, you just want to come and make things more expensive for them.

Solution: Might be impractical but if everybody living in Lekki from phase one down to Epe collate their taxes together monthly, I KNOW that in a year or two it will be enough to pay for the road. And you ask, are people in the area not entitled to enjoy government infrastructure? There's no single government hospital except in Epe. Only one school at Ikota which I don't think can take 100 pupils. So what exactly is the huge taxes paid by stakeholders there supposed to afford them? Subsidize ather parts of the state when they are living with government discomfort? Please let's think this thing through properly and not be carried away by sentiments.

My 2 cents,

Lol
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Justcash(m): 4:08pm On Jul 28, 2010
The One:

Guy

My 2 cents,

Good comment.
Yes, as expected there will be some flaws. Overtime, all these will be effectively attended to, especially as the negatives in the arrangements starts to manifest. This is like the first modern private toll system arranged by any state in the country (If I am not wrong) So like a first born, lots of issues may have been neglected, and will be corrected.
As expected, the Concessionaire will want peace, so they will also seek for ways to ensure smooth operations.

LEKKI-EPE EXPRESSWAY: GOV. FASHOLA BROKERS PEACE BETWEEN STAKEHOLDERS, CONCESSIONAIRE

Sets up all-inclusive committee to resolve issues at stake

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN), has brokered peace between stakeholders of Ibeju-Lekki and the Concessionaire of the Lekki-Epe Expressway over issues arising from the landmark project.

The peace meeting resulted in the setting up of a Committee of all the stakeholders comprising traditional rulers, elders of Eti- Osa, Iru and Ibeju-Lekki as well as the concessionaire – Lekki Concession Company (LCC) to work towards the amicable resolution of all the issues at stake.

Giving an insight into the immense benefits of the Lekki-Epe Expressway project after listening to representations made by the stakeholders, Governor Fashola who spoke at the Banquet Hall, Lagos House, Alausa venue of the meeting last Thursday, explained that the tolling of the road is in order to enable the concessionaire   recoup the investment it made adding that although it may not be easy initially, the long-term benefits to the community far out-weigh the challenges.

Citing an example with Boston in the United States of America, Governor Fashola said although it is a novel idea in Nigeria, tolling has been employed across the globe to execute multi-million dollar projects with far-reaching socio-economic gains adding that the Boston Underground Road which initially raised agitations and resistance from the people has today become a place to behold.

“Change does not come so easily, but the gains outweigh the pains”, the Governor said adding that the road will open up access to the on-going Lekki Free Trade Zone, the Lekki Seaport including the refinery which the Federal Government plans to site in the area.

“I implore us, we are not building only road; our agreement is more than just building a road. It is not for the development of Eti-Osa alone but the entire Lagos State”, the Governor pleaded pointing out that the Concessionaire sought assurance from the State Government that there would be no breach of agreement.

According to Governor Fashola, even after the assurance by the State Government, the Concessionaire still did not commence work until the Government supported the agreement with a law passed by the representatives of the people in the State House of Assembly and the Federal Executive Council deliberated and passed a resolution on it.

On the gains already being recorded as a result of the road, the Governor said the road project has led to the appreciation of property value in the area adding, “The completion of the road is what the area is expecting. It is for the future development of the area”.

On the likely consequences of any breach of the agreement on the side of the State Government, Governor Fashola warned, “If we say we do not want the project to continue, it is not about money alone; it is about our reputation. The project is funded by international finance institutions. A breach of the contract will not be good for Lagos or Nigeria”.

He recalled the multi-billion dollar metroline project proposed for Lagos by former Governor Lateef Jakande pointing out that when another government truncated the contract even after the design had been completed; the State Government not only lost the project, it also lost money because the contractor went to court and sued the Government for breach of contract.

“Stopping the Concessioning agreement of the  Lekki-Epe Expressway now will obviously affect other concessioning agreements in Nigeria”, Governor Fashola said  adding that the Federal Government has already given a guarantee on the project.

Promising that all grey areas on the issue will be resolved soon, Governor Fashola called for nominations into a committee being set up by the State Government for that purpose adding that the Committee would comprise of stakeholders, traditional rulers, elders of Eti-Osa, Iru and Ibeju-Lekki.

Earlier, a representative of the stakeholders, Mr. Adewale Sanni, had articulated their grievances to include the erection of three toll-gates and the fencing off of some communities in the area.

Present at the well attended meeting which lasted for over two hours, were stakeholders, elders and leaders of thought, traditional rulers and representatives of Lekki-Epe Expressway concessionaire as well as State Government officials including the Honourable Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Town Planner Francisco Abosede, the Special Adviser on Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Mr. Olalekan Ifemode.

The meeting attended by the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Marvel Akpoyibo, also had in attendance a member of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Hon. Jide Akinloye and the local government chairmen of the area.

Among the traditional rulers present were the Alara of Ilara, the Ojomu of Ajiranland, the Aladeshoyin of Odo-Naforija, the Onilekki of Lekki, the Onibeju of Ibeju, the Alaketu of Ketu, the Onise of Ise, the Onitedo of Itedo, the Olofin of Orugbo, representative of Oba Oniru of Iruland, representative of Abowa of Agbowa and the Omola of Odomola, Chief Razaq Falana, Chief Mudashiru Lawal, the Baale of Aromire, among many other traditional rulers and chiefs.

On the stakeholders’ side were Hon. Yahaya Adeniyi Dosunmu, Major General Paul Toun (retd), Mr. Lawal Fatai Olalekan, among others while the Lekki Concession Company (LCC) had in attendance its Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Opuiyo Oforiokuma, among other officials.
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by mustafar1: 4:25pm On Jul 28, 2010
the proper tolling of this road came in 20years late. . .service roads by toll plaza's lead to nowhere, i would really like to know where the alternate roads they refer to are.

PS:there was a toll plaza at the epe end of the road but it never was used.
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by philip0906(m): 4:44pm On Jul 28, 2010
[size=18pt]JUSTCASH IS BEHIND D COMPUTER IN FAR AWAY JAPAN TYPING SHIT.HE IS SIMPLY ALIEN 2 D PROBLEMS WE R FACING HERE NO LIGHT,NO ROADS,NO WATER,NO SECURITY,OR IS IT D COMMON MAN THAT WILL PROVIDE ALLTHESE?WHAT WILL NOW BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF D GOVT IF THIS IS D DUTY OF D MASSES?EAT D BILLIONS FROM OIL?.HE IS JUST HAVING WISHFUL THINKING.IF U WANT UR "DUMB MESSAGE" 2 GET ACCROSS WELL,GO AND TELL D MASSES WHO R SUFFERING. . .TAKE D NEXT AVAILABLE FLIGHT AND COME DOWN HERE RATHER THAN TYPE SHIT B'COS U R SIMPLY BLINDED BWHAT D WHITE MAN HAS ACCOMPLISHED AND THUS THINK IT WILL WORK HERE. . , U PROBABLY R AMONGST THOSE PDP MEMBERS OR AMONGST THE FEW WHO HAVE EATEN OUT OF NIGERIA'S WEALTH AND U R TELLING D MASSES DAT MAKE UP 70% OF NIGERIA AND LIVING ON LESS THAN A DOLLAR A DAY 2 INVEST THE LITTLE ONE DOLLAR THEY R EARNING SO AS 2 CONTINUE FEEDING U AND UR STOOGES.BRO,COME DOWN HERE AND SPREAD UR "MESSAGE". . .[/size]
Re: Lagosians Shouldn't Be Complaining About The Lekki-epe Expressway by Chiddysville(m): 5:51pm On Jul 28, 2010
Though i like Fashola as a person but this is daylight robbery and if he and his co partner Tinubu is not careful the way they are handling Lagos funds, they will end up like Ibori. How can you put the cart before the horse? They made sure that there is no passable alternate route, are currently fencing the people off thereby making it compulsory to pay. The question is what have they expended that they want to recoup? By adding one lane to 6 kilometers of road and they want to start collecting money? what stopped the Lagos state Govt from funding the construction all alone after all it is just 50 km? The truth is that both Fashola and Tinubu have serious vested interest on that strategic road and since election is around the corner, the people must pay. From little investigation carried out, taking a bus from CMS to Ajah presently cost about #200, with this their new levy, what happens to students that ply that road daily as bus drivers will definitely shift the cost to the passengers? what will happen to the rural dwellers? imagine paying some corrupt leaders every day to go back to your land and home every day. Is this what development is all about or corruption at its best? Every sane human being should stand up and condemn this.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jubilation In The North On Ojukwu's Death / If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? / Boko Haram: Ohanaeze Evacuates 500,000 Igbo From Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.