Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:07 AM

Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking (24670 Views)

Dangote, MTN, Others Lose N1.7 Trillion To Naira Depreciation / Shareholders Funds Wiped Out As MTN Nigeria Incurs N740bn FOREX Losses / Banks Jittery Over Teleology’s Pullout From 9mobile (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by dre11(m): 11:12am On Nov 26, 2018
By Tony Chukwunyem

The recent announcement by telecoms giant, MTN, that it would soon apply for a Payment Service Bank (PSB) licence and launch mobile banking in Nigeria by the second quarter of next year, has set alarm bells ringing at deposit money banks (DMBs) in the country, findings by New Telegraph have shown. According to industry sources, the MTN announcement, which came in the wake of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)’s release of guidelines on PSBs, would make the business environment, which was already tough for lenders, even tougher. Other telecoms firm, according to information, are also billed to take the plunge.

A senior industry player told New Telegraph’s correspondent last weekend: “With a PSB licence, MTN’s subscriber base of over 50 million clearly gives it an edge over banks. In fact, most of the major telcos can easily provide most of the services being offered by banks.

This means that retail banking will even become more difficult for most lenders. “Compared with banks, the telcos have a bigger budget and better technical know-how to drive mobile banking. So, banks are going to face more issues when these firms start introducing new financial products.”

The source noted that there are concerns over CBN’s capacity to regulate telcos that obtain licence to launch mobile banking. Specifically, the source said: “It is true that CBN’s guidelines prohibit PSBs from granting any form of loans, advances and guarantees, but who says telcos cannot find a way of offering this type of service without breaching CBN regulations. In fact, with the number of firms that we are hearing are planning to apply for PSB licence, the banking industry may have gone back to the days prior to the 2004/2005 consolidation period when the country had over 80 banks.”

A few weeks ago, the Chief Executive Officer, MTN Group, Rob Shuter, disclosed at a conference in South Africa that the firm will apply for a mobile banking licence in Nigeria and launch the service in the coming year. “We will be applying for a payment service banking licence in Nigeria in the next month or so and if all goes according to plan, we will also be launching mobile money in Nigeria, probably around Q2 of 2019,” Shuter was quoted as saying. Interestingly, last January, Shuter had revealed plans to make MTN become Africa’s biggest bank.

He stated then: “The core digital service that we have decided to put our money on is mobile money. Mobile money is really about leveraging the strength of the brand and leveraging the strength of the distribution because we have built a huge informal distribution network for prepaid airtime to bring customers into a transactional banking system.” Commenting on Nigeria’s DMBs’ concerns over the imminent entry of leading telcos into the country’s mobile banking space, the Managing Director/CEO Bic Consultancy Services, Dr. Boniface Chizea, said that telecom companies have massive reach going by the level and spread of subscriptions.
“It should therefore be expected that banks would see their involvement in payment services as a threat,” he said. “But if the telecom companies are not licensed to perform other banking related services, I would not unduly worry. “But for self-interest sake, there is the need for concern. It could mean that the commissions earned by banks from massive transfers might be threatened and such a development could undermine profitability.”

Similarly, the President of the Bank Customers Association of Nigeria (BCAN), who is also a former Registrar and Chief Executive of the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria (CIBN), Dr. Uju Ogubunka, said: “The banks are right to be worried. This is because the telecom companies have the capacity to compete with them. “But I’m not interested in the competition between the banks and the telcos; service is prime. If the coming of PSBs will ensure that most Nigerians are financially included, then that is good for the country.” He, however, stated: “Beyond financial inclusion is financial literacy. If we have inancial inclusion without financial literacy, there could be trouble. There are so many things that people who have access to financial services are ignorant of. So every effort has to be made to ensure that financial literacy campaigns are taken to all parts of the country.”

Also, commenting on the issue, the Principal Consultant, Henates and Associates, Mr. Henry Atenaga, said:
“The banks ought to be scared because the telecoms firms are better positioned than lenders to perform mobile banking services given the kind of country we are in. If you go to the really rural parts of Nigeria you are not likely to find a bank branch or a banking agent, but you will find that most people in those communities have mobile phones.”

Besides, Atenaga stated that the CBN may face challenges in trying to regulate PSBs promoted by telcos, adding this can be addressed if the apex bank effectively collaborates with the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC). It will be recalled that in releasing the guidelines on PSBs, the CBN emphasised that the move was primarily aimed at ensuring that the country attains its 20 per cent financial exclusion target by 2020. The regulator stated that PSBs are expected to leverage on mobile and digital services to boost access to financial services for lowincome earners and the unbanked segments of the population particularly in the rural areas.

Under the guidelines, PSBs are permitted to carry out activities such as: Operation of savings accounts and acceptance of deposits from individuals and small businesses; carry out payments and remittance (including inbound cross-border personal remittances) services through various channels within Nigeria; issue debit and pre-paid cards as well as operate electronic purse and invest in Federal Government of Nigeria and CBN securities. The guidelines, however, bar PSBs from granting of any form of loans, advances and guarantees or trade in the foreign exchange market. Also, PSBs are required to have N5 billion minimum capital.

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/2018/11/banks-jittery-as-mtn-others-veer-into-mobile-banking/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by yerokunphilips: 11:13am On Nov 26, 2018
This is a welcome development , anything that will the make banking sectors more competitive and effective is good to go .

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by LuciferElohim: 11:33am On Nov 26, 2018
MTN, hope our money won't zap faster than our airtime?

106 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by Nobody: 11:41am On Nov 26, 2018
cheesy

Kenya has Mpesa. This would further help us to achieve cashless policy.

23 Likes

Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by chrisifeanyi: 11:41am On Nov 26, 2018
I wish they can be frustrated out of business. Useless Nigerian banks that employs 22 years and below. Now ASUU is on strike and later they will expect you to graduate before 20 years. How can older graduates survive? Youths are roaming the street without job. Graduates living like rats. Some have turned beggars just to survive. Research has shown that most youths in Nigeria today are hypertensive. Why won't they be? You will think of how to get a job without connection, how to solve very difficult GMAT questions and beat others in interviews and the unending recruitment stages for Nigerian firms, then you think of age, family will always call even if you don't have a job. The so called job hardly pay well. How then can you marry, raise your dream home, pay for decent accommodation. Out of frustration most graduates end up impregnating someone's daughter thinking wife and baby will bring favour not knowing that is when the main suffering begins.

163 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by wyqay: 11:42am On Nov 26, 2018
welcome idea
Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by NaijaOlosho(f): 11:42am On Nov 26, 2018
A very welcome development
Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by 2emgee(m): 11:42am On Nov 26, 2018
Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by cjudy(m): 11:42am On Nov 26, 2018
Fraud will be made easy. If you know, you know

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by gurunlocker: 11:42am On Nov 26, 2018
Competition is allowed....
Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by nelronaldo(m): 11:42am On Nov 26, 2018
I don't know if this is a good development or not.
Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by ZKOSOSO(m): 11:44am On Nov 26, 2018
This is Goodnews .....!

At least no more 'out of service' upandan in our ATMs....!
Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by GavelSlam: 11:44am On Nov 26, 2018
Na Diamond Bank go hear am.

2 Likes

Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by okedoyinolabisi(f): 11:44am On Nov 26, 2018
this is a welcome development. let's see how banks will adjust

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by koladebrainiac(m): 11:44am On Nov 26, 2018
lol bankers in trouble

1 Like

Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by BIGTinfotech: 11:45am On Nov 26, 2018
Technovation. The telecoms sector has to find a way to sustain itself.

They've been the most affected with the social media wave. Airtime sales are only used for data, people no longer make long calls except for business. Some business owners even make WhatsApp calls to cut down on cost.

Now tell me why won't they think outside the box for sustainability. "Necessity they say is..."

23 Likes

Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by Nobody: 11:45am On Nov 26, 2018
angry
Interesting. Very interesting. 2019 promises to be a very exciting year politically and economically.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by technuel: 11:45am On Nov 26, 2018
Nice one
Meanwhile I sell Laptop
080 8646 8710 is my No
Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by Opinionated: 11:46am On Nov 26, 2018

2 Likes

Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by DaHrNn0001: 11:46am On Nov 26, 2018
Well,its a good initiative but not with the current advanced knowledge Nigerians have... Mobile money is cool and easily accessible from any agent but hopefully it can stand the test of time because here in Ghana mobile money users vs bank users is 90/10 but out guys here are either robbing the agent or sending fake alert which makes the development skeptical
Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by sokera: 11:47am On Nov 26, 2018
OkaNaUbe:
cheesy

Kenya had Mpesa. This would further help us to achieve cashless policy.
exactly... we need something like Mpesa in Nigeria, i have been to different countries but I have never seen any banking system as convenient as Mpesa in Kenya ...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by Dottore: 11:47am On Nov 26, 2018
Ok
Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by ladyF(f): 11:47am On Nov 26, 2018
Good one from MTN.

Apple iTunes gift cards $10-$100 denominations needed. Rate is dope!!
Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by HeyCorleone(m): 11:48am On Nov 26, 2018
Maybe the banks would sit up and stop their many fraudulent deductions.
Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by Turakeey(m): 11:49am On Nov 26, 2018
Wonders
Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by valdes00(m): 11:49am On Nov 26, 2018
With the way all this network providers dey deduct my airtime over rubbish things wey i no subscribe to, I cant trust them with my money....
Na to leave airtime enter my account balance ... I go just siddon dey receive alert...
#200 was deducted for subcribing to GAMEZONE..
Wetin be gamezone, who sub am....
This new idea, even though it sounds OK is a NO NO for me

2 Likes

Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by reflx(m): 11:50am On Nov 26, 2018
Not with this customer service that never picks up...or their service centers that are too slow and overcrowded too...
People will still prefer old school banks...wonder why Union Bank still has market?

Next year then!
Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by NIJJAking(m): 11:51am On Nov 26, 2018
this xenophobia people want to kill our banks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by Pidginwhisper: 11:51am On Nov 26, 2018
I need a financial expert to school me on how this is going to affect the banking sector in term of workforce. Hope staffs won't get sacked in order to reduce workforce due to inability to pay staffs. I get too many good ppl working in banks and e no go make sense if dem loss their jobs. undecided

1 Like

Re: Banks Jittery As MTN, Others Veer Into Mobile Banking by Xisnin(m): 11:52am On Nov 26, 2018
If this news is not fake,
shame on the jittery banks, they lack business acumen.
They could easily lobby the NASS against MTN but are complaining like crybabies.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

No Going Back On Relocation Of Computer Village, Says Lagos Government / US$1 Now Exchanges for N241: Where Is Buhari? / Naira Redesign: Nigerians Will Fill Uncountable Forms To Withdraw Large Amounts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.