Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,423,193 members, 5,437,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 23 February 2020 at 12:52 AM

Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. (24539 Views)

Names Of Epie/atissa People Of Yenagoa And Their Meaning / The Language Of Talking Drums In Yoruba Land / Oyaaa! Waffi Men, Benin Men, Port Harcourt Niggies, Yenagoa Men. Pidgin Contest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Sinistami(m): 11:28pm On Nov 27, 2018
This is my Second thread after that pidgin Battle thread that Hit FP. Damn I loved that Thread but this night its not about Pidgin again. Today I'll be trying my Best to save my Maternal Tribe's language called Epie-Attisa. spoken Predominantly in Yenagoa the Capital city of Bayelsa State. And the Fourth major language in Bayelsa After Izon ,Nembe and Ogbia. Epie is an Delta Edoid language normally spoken by The Natives of Yenagoa who have a myth of Migrating from Benin. But that is Changing as most young folks from 30 to 1 year olds can't speak the Language because of the Nativization and Creolization of English and Pidgin especially in the Niger delta. So tonight I'll try my best to preserve this languages by storing its words and Sayings here on Nairaland plus Translations.

In no particular Order.
1 Ômônè : This Child

2 Omo: Child

3 Mêmê: Me

4Wôwô: You

5 Osunu/Ada: Father

6 Onu/Inná: Mother

7 Amin: Water

8 Oko: Canoe

9 Eko: war/ Fight

8 wem: Spirit

9 Wu: Die

10 MèMè Omo Epie: I'm an Epie Person

12 Taa/Gbe: Go

13 Come: Yo

14 Yana: move

15 Yanaamini?: Literally means have you awoken but its used for Good Morning.

16 Biesemini?: Have you darkened .means Good evening.

17 Wô: Aspect marker for present Continues. Eg Mê Yi Wô means am Coming.

18 Mini. Aspect marker for Perfect Tense Eg Mê Yi Mini means I am hear.

19 Ororumu: Rat

20: House: Fam.

I'll keep on updating but for now ZZzzzz.

6 Likes

Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Nobody: 11:32pm On Nov 27, 2018
An Akinima man once told me that Yenagoa (Iye na goa) was born by Akinima.
Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Sinistami(m): 6:01am On Nov 28, 2018
OkaNaUbe:
An Akinima man once told me that Yenagoa (Iye na goa) was born by Akinima.

Its Pronounced Iyineguo. But only by old People and I'm not Sure of what you're saying but The Epie-Atissa of Yenagoa and The Zarama Clan of North Yenagoa near Mbiama is very related with the Ngenne and the Degema people of Rivers State. They're have a history of Coming from Benin. Although other Clans in Bayelsa too Claim that but these two are the ones that speak Edoid languages.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Sinistami(m): 6:17am On Nov 28, 2018
Afina: Woman/Wife
Omos: Man/ Husband
Ebugé: Snail
Abalé: Boy
Omofromó: Girl
Fló: Soup.
Edè : River
Alua/Nua: Welcome
Mimì : Fool
Bebelì: Pray
Keke: Play
Iyini: Compound/Town/Quaters.
Sele: Money
Sisèyo: Please
Dilê: Sorry
Diom: Food
Yoñ: Drink
Alagba: Gun
Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Nobody: 7:43am On Nov 28, 2018
Sinistami:


Its Pronounced Iyineguo. But only buy old People and I'm not Sure of what you're saying but The Epie-Atissa of Yenagoa and The Zarama Clan of North Yenagoa near Mbiama is very related with the Ngenne and the Degema people of Rivers State. They're all have a history of Coming from Benin. Although other Clans in Bayelsa too Claim that but these two are the ones that speak Edoid languages.

You are very correct. I don't know how to spell"Iyineguo". I learnt, from an elderly man from that area, that Yenogoa (maybe, not all) are related to Akinima people and they all came from.Edo State.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Sinistami(m): 11:43am On Nov 28, 2018
OkaNaUbe:


You are very correct. I don't know how to spell"Iyineguo". I learnt, from an elderly man from that area, that Yenogoa (maybe, not all) are related to Akinima people and they all came from.Edo State.

Yes you're Right. It seems you're from Rivers right?
Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Nobody: 11:46am On Nov 28, 2018
Sinistami:

Yes you're Right. It seems you're from Rivers right?
Lived there.
Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Sinistami(m): 11:47am On Nov 28, 2018
OkaNaUbe:

Lived there.
Then where?
Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Sinistami(m): 11:52am On Nov 28, 2018
Now it will be in Alphabetical Order.

Amamá: Shadow

Amafierema: Promiscuous Person

Animé: My Wife

Anam: Animal

Anamokun: Monkey

Abana: Plantain

Abaga: Shoe.

Ayibaas: Onion

Amiin: Pure water

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by CooperJay: 3:20am On Dec 01, 2018
This is interesting , it is very similar to Edo language ....Op Keep it up

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by bigfrancis21: 5:47am On Dec 01, 2018
Language can sometimes be a good pointer to one's ancestral origins. The Yenagoa people, despite being surrounded by other languages, were able to preserve their Edoid-like language, which is indicative of their origin.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Amadioha01(m): 8:45am On Dec 01, 2018
KUDOS!!
Very insightful.
I wonder why Edo nationalist extremists (not the moderates) don't go into Yenegoa, Ahoda west(Akinima) and Degema to lay claim of omo blah blah blah Edo. But rather they can't stop laying claim to Anioma and Onitsha.
Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Nobody: 11:50am On Dec 01, 2018
Amadioha01:
KUDOS!!
Very insightful.
I wonder why Edo nationalist extremists (not the moderates) don't go into Yenegoa, Ahoda west(Akinima) and Degema to lay claim of omo blah blah blah Edo. But rather they can't stop laying claim to Anioma and Onitsha.
create a thread and asked them undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Amadioha01(m): 12:08pm On Dec 01, 2018
ThatIjawBoy:
create a thread and asked them undecided

Fear of Ijaw people I guess

1 Like

Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by CooperJay: 12:19pm On Dec 01, 2018
Amadioha01:


Fear of Ijaw people I guess

I laff over that statement , it seems you don't know who is who down south! Noise is different from Fire
Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Amadioha01(m): 12:22pm On Dec 01, 2018
CooperJay:


I laff over that statement , it seems you don't know who is who down south! Noise is different from Fire

I hope you do realize the SS was created mainly to appease the Ijaws. It was a region created where they would be the majority.

2 Likes

Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by CooperJay: 12:24pm On Dec 01, 2018
Amadioha01:


I hope you do realize the SS was created mainly to appease the Ijaws. It was a region created where they would be the majority.

Ijaw can never be a majority when more than 60% of their clan are Ediod , the remaining 40% from different places (even the yoruboid ones in Ondo)
Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by CooperJay: 12:25pm On Dec 01, 2018
Amadioha01:


I hope you do realize the SS was created mainly to appease the Ijaws. It was a region created where they would be the majority.

Ijaw can never be a majority when more than 60% of their clan are Ediod , the remaining 40% from different places (even the yoruboid ones in Ondo) , look I don't have a problem with ijaws the are my brothers , but I would not take anyone punching above their weights

1 Like

Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Amadioha01(m): 4:34am On Dec 02, 2018
CooperJay:


Ijaw can never be a majority when more than 60% of their clan are Ediod , the remaining 40% from different places (even the yoruboid ones in Ondo)

Very dubious statistics backed by no evidence. If they majority are Edoid, what's stopping ya'll from making them Identify as Edo?

3 Likes

Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by CooperJay: 6:02am On Dec 02, 2018
Amadioha01:


Very dubious statistics backed by no evidence. If they majority are Edoid, what's stopping ya'll from making them Identify as Edo?

Think out of the box , the answer is staring rite back at u
Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by CooperJay: 6:03am On Dec 02, 2018
Amadioha01:


Very dubious statistics backed by no evidence. If they majority are Edoid, what's stopping ya'll from making them Identify as Edo?

Think out of the box , the answer is staring rite back at u...
Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Nobody: 8:54am On Dec 02, 2018
Amadioha01:


Very dubious statistics backed by no evidence. If they majority are Edoid, what's stopping ya'll from making them Identify as Edo?
are you seeing any Edo group claiming urhobo? They want to be on their own so we let them be.

Even though ikwerre rejected been igbo and claim bini origin. The igbos are still forcing their selves on them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by HarryDuce(m): 12:44pm On Dec 02, 2018
CooperJay:


Ijaw can never be a majority when more than 60% of their clan are Ediod , the remaining 40% from different places (even the yoruboid ones in Ondo) , look I don't have a problem with ijaws the are my brothers , but I would not take anyone punching above their weights
Lol. What a clown.

Anyway, this is your personal opinion. It has no bit of truth to it.

1 Like

Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Sinistami(m): 7:50pm On Dec 02, 2018
Yes you're right.
Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Sinistami(m): 8:00pm On Dec 02, 2018
Una! Mek una no kon do mek una pant dem tangle each other o!
Even if we speak Edoid languages we have mixed over the years with the Ijaws. And so we are now Ijaw but don't tell us that we are Izon that's all. and who's that guy saying 60℅ of us are Edoid even if that's correct were still Ijaw and still the majority. I hate fighting among my fellow Nigerdeltans I really hate getting into Tribal issues like this shhaa just have to point that out.

1 Like

Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Sinistami(m): 8:03pm On Dec 02, 2018
CooperJay:
This is interesting , it is very similar to Edo language ....Op Keep it up
Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Sinistami(m): 8:05pm On Dec 02, 2018
bigfrancis21:
Language can sometimes be a good pointer to one's ancestral origins. The Yenagoa people, despite being surrounded by other languages, were able to preserve their Edoid-like language, which is indicative of their origin.


Yess But the language is dying fast fast.
Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Sinistami(m): 8:09pm On Dec 02, 2018
[quote author=Amadioha01 post=73453726]KUDOS!!
Very insightful.
I wonder why Edo nationalist extremists (not the moderates) don't go into Yenegoa, Ahoda west(Akinima) and Degema to lay claim of omo blah blah blah Edo. But rather they can't stop laying claim to Anioma and Onitsha. [/quot


Maybe because Onitsha and Anioma is closer to Edo than the others.
Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by CooperJay: 9:23pm On Dec 02, 2018
Sinistami:
Una! Mek una no kon do mek una pant dem tangle each other o!
Even if we speak Edoid languages we have mixed over the years with the Ijaws. And so we are now Ijaw but don't tell us that we are Izon that's all. and who's that guy saying 60℅ of us are Edoid even if that's correct were still Ijaw and still the majority. I hate fighting among my fellow Nigerdeltans I really hate getting into Tribal issues like this shhaa just have to point that out.

Majority of what ?
Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Sinistami(m): 9:47pm On Dec 02, 2018
CooperJay:

Majority of what ?
In the Nigerdelta
Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by CooperJay: 10:11pm On Dec 02, 2018
Sinistami:


In the Nigerdelta

Guy stop fooling yourself , your state is even the smallest in Nigeria Lool , make una just kpombi for dat bayelsa nor pass your boundary
Re: Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. by Sinistami(m): 10:27pm On Dec 02, 2018
CooperJay:


Guy stop fooling yourself , your state is even the smallest in Nigeria Lool , make una just kpombi for dat bayelsa nor pass your boundary

Abobi kpompi jare! don't they have Ijaw in Edo Ijaw In delta Ijaw in Ondo Ijaw in Cross river and in Rivers State. So Abegi no kon hia kon de Kama Kama dust.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Languages Listed According To States / Chanel Chin: Oluwo Of Iwo's Wife Beautiful In Adorable Photos / Yoruba The Canaanite - As Narrated By Muhammad Bello, Ruler Of Sokoto Caliphate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.