Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,196 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute (20623 Views)

How Police Slapped Me & Withdrew ₦390k From My Account In Lagos - Man / Nigerian Man Jailed For Sexually Assaulting His Female Roommate In UK. Photo / ”How My Ringing Tone Saved Me From Ritualists' Den In Lagos” – Man Reveals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by Palmer6: 12:33pm On Nov 29, 2018
Only God knows who is lying among these two dull heads
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by sonofElElyon: 12:34pm On Nov 29, 2018
I would like to carry out a quick objective analysis of this case based on my legal background:
1. The lady confirms she is a commercial sex worker which should have at least earned her a conviction for soliciting.
2. It was established that they had sex but the matter in issue is was the sex consensual?
*The man claims that it was but that after the act, he offered a lesser amount than agreed. If this is true he is guilty of patronising a prostitute and she is guilty of prostituting. The court of course can not enforce the illegal contract by insisting the main pays the prostitute in full or at all.
*The woman claims she was raped and if this is true the man was rightfully convicted though jail term shoul have commenced from date of remand for fairness' sake. However let us look at the facts:
We are not told there was a witness to the rape so i will take it there was none so its her word against his...
She did not immediately make a report to the police of the rape to ascertain whether there were bruises on her neck since she claimed he strangled her or any other signs of violence to her body...
She did not immediately report the theft of her phone by the man as she claimed (no mention that she immediately reported the theft)....
It appears she only raised an alarm and reported the matter about a month or so after the alleged rape when she saw him again...
It is my considered opinion that the case of rape has not been proved beyond reasonable doubt. There exists that reasonable doubt that the lady is actually guilty of malicious prosecution because the man did not pay her the agreed sum or any sum at all after the sex The man should therefore have been convicted for a lesser offence of patronising a prostitute based on his own admission in his statement and the lady convicted for soliciting based on her own admission that she is a prostitute and indeed agreed to have sex with a man for a fee.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by oyejideogunjumo: 12:35pm On Nov 29, 2018
[quote author=smellingmenses post=73394750][/quote] Definitely the judge was angry. She said he should stay with his family.At that hour of the day he should be with his family. He offered a whopping forty thousand for sex with a pub. May be he has never given his wife four thousand at once. He also tried to kill her holding her on the neck. Finally he robbed her of her valuables. The judge,being a woman wanted to teach him sense.
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by AHCB: 12:36pm On Nov 29, 2018
I'm not surprise seeing that the judge is a woman. I wonder about the authenticity of the evidence the complainant provided.

From reading both stories above, it's clear there are loopholes. Anyway, the defendant can still appeal rather than cry like a baby.

If he was sentenced to death, I wonder what he'll do.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by alizma: 12:52pm On Nov 29, 2018
that judge is a sadist and probably don't have a home to call her own. the prostitute admitted they both agreed to had sex and she willingly followed the guy to a particular place with intention to have sex, at this point, it is clear the issue of one forcing the other is not likely the case but more of disagreement on amount agreed to.
an average prostitute is ready to render her service anywhere as much as her target amount is not affected by the location. besides, how possible was it that the guy strangled her to the point she became unconscious and slept with her in the presence of the guard who was afraid to let him in because his madam was around? the judge in this case allowed her emotional feeling to lead her sense of judgement.
5years without option of fine is wickedness as far as this case is concerned.
for the sake of professionalism, someone need to stand for this man.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by CaptainMitch: 1:01pm On Nov 29, 2018
When dem charge me go court some years back, I see person wey dem sentence to one month imprisonment for stealing diesel from generator.
lefulefu:
go and check our nigerian prisons. Majority of the inmates na riduclous crimes carry dem derecheesy. A young dude stole a bunch of bananas at oshodi market and he will be given ten years, a lady stole bournvita and milk and dem go nack her seven yearscheesy.. Ok a gate steal one wretched looking native fowl and dem go sama am 4 yrs. Alright what of dat tenant wey sleep with im landlord's wife wey no dey stay one place and dem go turn d story upside down and d woman wey dem know say dey flirt around wil claim na rape and dem go nack seven yrscheesy. Armed robbers and kidnappers are given one or two years or they are left off the hook if dem settle behind court. Welcome to nigeriacheesy.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by Nobody: 1:07pm On Nov 29, 2018
CaptainMitch:
When dem charge me go court some years back, I see person wey dem sentence to one month imprisonment for stealing diesel from generator.
grin
CaptainMitch:
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by Yoighaman(m): 1:09pm On Nov 29, 2018
sonofElElyon:
I would like to carry out a quick objective analysis of this case based on my legal background:
1. The lady confirms she is a commercial sex worker which should have at least earned her a conviction for soliciting.
2. It was established that they had sex but the matter in issue is was the sex consensual?
*The man claims that it was but that after the act, he offered a lesser amount than agreed. If this is true he is guilty of patronising a prostitute and she is guilty of prostituting. The court of course can not enforce the illegal contract by insisting the main pays the prostitute in full or at all.
*The woman claims she was raped and if this is true the man was rightfully convicted though jail term shoul have commenced from date of remand for fairness' sake. However let us look at the facts:
We are not told there was a witness to the rape so i will take it there was none so its her word against his...
She did not immediately make a report to the police of the rape to ascertain whether there were bruises on her neck since she claimed he strangled her or any other signs of violence to her body...
She did not immediately report the theft of her phone by the man as she claimed (no mention that she immediately reported the theft)....
It appears she only raised an alarm and reported the matter about a month or so after the alleged rape when she saw him again...
It is my considered opinion that the case of rape has not been proved beyond reasonable doubt. There exists that reasonable doubt that the lady is actually guilty of malicious prosecution because the man did not pay her the agreed sum or any sum at all after the sex The man should therefore have been convicted for a lesser offence of patronising a prostitute based on his own admission in his statement and the lady convicted for soliciting based on her own admission that she is a prostitute and indeed agreed to have sex with a man for a fee.

Good reasoning.

I think the judge was just being sentimental by tilting her judgement in favor of the lady.
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by Dami12345: 1:19pm On Nov 29, 2018
smellingmenses:
The Ikeja Sexual Offence and Domestic Violence Court in Lagos, on Wednesday, sentenced a bricklayer, Edet Imoh, 40, to five years in prison for raping a commercial sex worker.

Sybil Nwaka, the judge, who did not give the convict an option of fine said the sentence would serve as a deterrent to others.

”I find the defendant guilty of the offence of indecent assault, he is sentenced to five years imprisonment which will commence from the date of sentencing.

”l hope by the time you come out, you would have learnt your lessons to stay away from such act and live happily with your family,” she said.

Mrs Nwaka also admonished the complainant, Ejiro Umukoro, 25, to desist from prostitution as it is illegal and that the Lagos State Government is on the move to sanitise the state against such act.

“I, however, chastise the complainant and urge her to be of good behaviour.

“The state is using this opportunity to warn other intending offenders, those in the commercial sex trade and other perpetrators of sex offenders to desist and have a rethink.

“Control yourselves from such offence because Lagos State frowns seriously at such act,” she said.

The convict, who was earlier charged with two counts of rape and theft, pleaded not guilty to the charge

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that during the trial, the prosecution led by B.T Boye had alleged that the convict committed the offence on March 11, 2017 at 1.30a.m. at Awolowo Road, Ikoyi, Lagos.

According to Boye “The convict met the complainant at Farm City Lekki Phase 1, while he was having his lunch.

“We exchanged pleasantries and we agreed to have sex afterwards. Umokoro told me to pay her N50,000 for having sexual intercourse with her but l begged her to collect N40,000 to which she agreed.

” We later took a cab to Awolowo Road at Ikoyi to use my friend’s house but unfortunately he wasn’t around.

“I told Umukoro to go back but she refused and said l must pay her for bringing her out so we had sex somewhere around. We laid a wrapper on the floor and had sex after which she demanded for the N40,000 but l told her l had only N9,000 but she refused to collect it from me.

“She refused to collect the N9,000 and tried to hold my shirt but l ran away.

The commercial sex worker in her testimony, however, denied the allegations.

She said:“ the defendant took me to an agreed place but on getting there, the gateman refused to open the gate saying that the madam of the house was around.

“I told the defendant to call the cabman that brought us to come back and pick us but he refused. Suddenly, the defendant attacked me from behind, tried to strangle me by pressing my neck till l fainted.

“He then raped me and stole my Blackberry Passport phone and Nokia phone all valued at N131,000. On April 6, 2017 l got hold of the defendant at Farm City Lekki Phase 1 and reported him to the police at Maroko Police Station,” Miss Umukoro said.

NAN reports that the convict who brought his belongings to court on the assumption that he would be freed after being on remand since 2017 burst into tears on hearing the judgement passed on him.

The offence, the prosecution said, contravened the provisions of Section 361 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State 2015 (NAN)

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/ssouth-west/297988-bricklayer-jailed-five-years-for-raping-commercial-sex-worker.html

Nigeria's law is a joke.
Protitution is a crime, rape is a crime.
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by Nobody: 1:20pm On Nov 29, 2018
tunde4top:
This story get k-leg jo. How can a prostitude picked from duty be raped ?. The prostitude expected to be paid the agreed 50k but when the guy later decided to pay 9k after eating the hot soup, the girl decided to purnish him and reported the case to the police as rape.

Her word against his.. no other evidence

Nigeria a country with no useful foresenic test labs and DNA test labs ..

This rape accusation might be false

1 Like

Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by Nobody: 1:41pm On Nov 29, 2018
alizma:
that judge is a sadist and probably don't have a home to call her own. the prostitute admitted they both agreed to had sex and she willingly followed the guy to a particular place with intention to have sex, at this point, it is clear the issue of one forcing the other is not likely the case but more of disagreement on amount agreed to.
an average prostitute is ready to render her service anywhere as much as her target amount is not affected by the location. besides, how possible was it that the guy strangled her to the point she became unconscious and slept with her in the presence of the guard who was afraid to let him in because his madam was around? the judge in this case allowed her emotional feeling to lead her sense of judgement.
5years without option of fine is wickedness as far as this case is concerned.
for the sake of professionalism, someone need to stand for this man.

You're right bro.

Women judges tend to be very bias and emotional when they're handling cases between fellow women and men
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by jakomee(m): 1:47pm On Nov 29, 2018
from his Home town to Lagos, no be small thin
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by jeff1607(m): 2:18pm On Nov 29, 2018
and she went free ?

I thought prostituting is a crime
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by danuzochukwu: 2:19pm On Nov 29, 2018
Rape is rape no matter who you commited it againt, many people think that, because a girl is a prostitute they will do her anything and get away with it.
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by Birniwa(m): 2:29pm On Nov 29, 2018
inkon:
Raping a prostitute?

That man deserves what he got. The complainant might have actually accused him falsely but a responsible man has no business, consorting with prostitutes in the first place.

FOR ACADEMIC PAPERS: CLICK HERE TO REACH US ON WHATSAPP

Do you know that you can be prosecuted and sentenced for imprisonment too like the guy who raped the prostitute? Providing academic services like the ones you mentioned above is a fraud and serious offense.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by Prestoex(m): 3:25pm On Nov 29, 2018
End time.

Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by bejeria101(m): 3:34pm On Nov 29, 2018
A tale of 2 knackists!
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by pedrilo: 3:34pm On Nov 29, 2018
Boyooosa:
I yam ritin wayec, don't let me fail Jere.,

Mw
I notice that female judges are sentimental, bias and temperamental when it comes to the case of their fellow folks compared to their male colleagues that allow money to always overshadow/cloud and undermine their judgemental reasoning... some anyway.
i tink d judge is very bias.
ashawo biz is illegal, but d judge ADVISED the prostitute to be of good behaviour.
and sentenced d man who patronized ashawo to 5 years in prison.
God will not forgive this feminist judge!
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by pedrilo: 3:47pm On Nov 29, 2018
danuzochukwu:
Rape is rape no matter who you commited it againt, many people think that, because a girl is a prostitute they will do her anything and get away with it.
if u beat up a thief and the thief sue u to court, do u tink its fair for d judge to sentence u for beating a thief and turn around to advise the thief to stop stealing?
this judge turned logic upside down.
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by TrumpDonald2: 3:59pm On Nov 29, 2018
This story get K-leg. I think the man was framed.
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by Casemiro(m): 4:12pm On Nov 29, 2018
tunde4top:
This story get k-leg jo. How can a prostitude picked from duty be raped ?. The prostitude expected to be paid the agreed 50k but when the guy later decided to pay 9k after eating the hot soup, the girl decided to purnish him and reported the case to the police as rape.

oil dey ya head

choi cheesy

shocked
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by Boyooosa(m): 4:15pm On Nov 29, 2018
pedrilo:
i tink d judge is very bias.
ashawo biz is illegal, but d judge ADVISED the prostitute to be of good behaviour.
and sentenced d man who patronized ashawo to 5 years in prison.
God will not forgive this feminist judge!
My brother!
I never knew there are other people out there reasoning like me....
Three failures:
1, the survivor or wetin wetin failed to convince me living here in abuja, that the guy was guilty;
She said they were both trying to call back the cab to pick them up, that must have happened on the road probably in front of the gateman that discharged them. Then next, the guy razzled her on the road there and started abusing her sexually shocked. (Even though we were not told the period here).
2, The man's explanation was so straight that me as an expatroniser knows that that can 100% happen. I know the girl would have implicated him through the help of those useless haykay. She didn't even tell us may be she collected the 9k offered by the guy (the guy sef na nonsense man, u banged olosho inside uncompleted building u still dey reason am 9k). At a point, the girl claimed to worth 100plus k, na party she dey go?
3, the female judge wey no go see heaven as u earlier prayed, now decided to jail someone without any convincing nor established allegation. Worst of all, come pat d girl for nyansh say make she go find another victim come make dem come sentence that one too.
I believe say the judge na lesbian sef.
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by tomdon(m): 8:10pm On Nov 29, 2018
This is very wrong of the judge. She is not being fair. She is prejudicial. She is an idiot. Woe betide her! She must be a former prostitute herself for her to use the hammer on the man and feather on the woman.
They agreed on price and she was even taken to the venue of the illicit action yet her story was believed just because the judge is a woman.
To even imagine a price of 40k loun loun to fuch ashewo. I must be kidded. What's the puccy made of??
Village people get this guy wella sha
Next time hin go see toto pick race
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by MrSly(m): 8:27am On Nov 30, 2018
The man's story sounds more true than that of the prostitute but unfortunately he's got a female judge who most probably has action on sentiment and feminism influence
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by sammirano: 8:28am On Nov 30, 2018
That judgment is not fait
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by baratech: 8:00pm On Dec 05, 2018
Chai
Re: Lagos Man Jailed For Raping A Prostitute by smellingmenses: 8:08pm On Nov 10, 2019
sammirano:
That judgment is not fait
Y?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tourism Consultants Arrested On Ini Edo’s Order, Regain Their Freedom(photos) / Boy Set His Friend Ablaze Over Mobile Phone In Enugu / Woman Who Conspired With Former In-laws To Kill New Husband In Kebbi Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.