Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,484 members, 7,812,506 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

How To Deal With Addictions. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How To Deal With Addictions. (406 Views)

How To Deal With Jealousy At Work / How To Deal With Negative People In Your Life / How To Get Rid Of Your Bad Habits And Addictions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Deal With Addictions. by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 29, 2018
For some weeks now, I have been writing on addictions. Last week, I tried to explain technically how addictions occur in the brain, and how we become addicted over time.

Today, I want to briefly write about how we can deal with addictions.

If you recall in my first post, I did say that addiction was something that existed because of a purpose. My emphasis was how addiction fulfills a need. I will deal with today’s topic against that backdrop.

When I find someone, or hear that an individual is addicted to a substance, work, or any activity, my concern is usually thoughts about what could actually be missing in their lives which they are trying to use the behaviour to get. Since addiction, as I know it, isn’t just about the use of substances alone, but more so about some pains the addict may be using the substance to numb, I am quick to ask what the actual pain could possibly be? I get concerned as to why the pain exists? This should be our first focus.

Before one can get addicted to something, it’s important we know that the behaviour is somehow filling up a void. Since it was helpful at numbing the underlying pain, it becomes too useful to the addict as a result. The emptiness the addicts may be experiencing is usually what the substance tries to help them fill. Unfortunately, it can’t, because we cannot use external factors to help what’s void inside. We have to know the power that’s within us to help our situation. This is usually my focus as a counsellor.

But to understand how this inner power within us can work best, we must first address why the pain exist in the first place, and what purpose the substance, or activity helps the addict with. That way, we are sure of working it out from the inside than using just drugs to work on the brain.

To continue reading please click link below.

http://joyiseki.com/how-to-deal-with-addictions/

#thecounsellor #addictions #addictionsrecovery #howtodealwithaddictions #joyiseki #mentalhealthawareness #nigeriantherapist

(1) (Reply)

Wait this must be a joke / No backing down unless Olubadan accepts us as monarchs, new kings vow / On Culture: Ebalu Aluụ - Cheta Nwanze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.