Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,419 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? (9957 Views)

Is Medical Sales Rep A Good Career Or Job? / Should I Chase The Money Or Focus On School / How Can I Pursue A Career In Public Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by merrymaker2: 10:02am On Dec 01, 2018
You can go for UI Distance Learning Prog in Ibadan. Run the prog from wereva u r n still get UI certificate. Read more or u send m a mail.
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by afroxyz: 10:02am On Dec 01, 2018
tstx:
Focus on your skill.... Degrees are useless in Nigeria (unless you dey plan enter politics)...
But if you must get a degree, You can always get it much much later....

Degrees are not useless. Rather it is you who is the useless one for not seeing that school education is to help you make sense tobthe world not look for job
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by afroxyz: 10:04am On Dec 01, 2018
winj3:
Most degrees in Nigeria are useless, many Nigerian graduates lack commonsense (which is better than education) so expatriates are brought in to supervise them. Don't waste your time with a Nigerian degree!

The most successful people in the world have no university degrees: electricians, plumbers, builders are richer than degree holders all over the world.

Certificates are overrated in Nigeria...with most degree holders ending up never using the actual degrees to do what they studied. If we are talking about medicine or nursing then maybe...physics, sociology, mass comm and other useless Nigerian degrees should be consigned to the dustbin.

I hope you would tell your children the same thing
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by bluefilm: 10:04am On Dec 01, 2018
Make your skill your career!

Dasall.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by alizma: 10:04am On Dec 01, 2018
StUdY1:
Good morning house, pls I need your advice weather to focus more on my skill or to continue with my education.

I just gained admission to study physics into one of the federal university in Nigeria and I have being having a second thought to defer/forget about the admission (because I have already accepted it and paid acceptance fee).

I deal mostly with Electronics and i am very good in what I do.But the fact that I read a few pages on different thread on this forum that it is better to have a skill than having a degree have being making me to think about forgetting about education and focus more on what I am doing(which is my skill)

PLS I WILL NEED YOUR ADVICE!!!THANKS...

I quote you directly so you will get my response.
I was in to construction(brickslayer) after my secondary school which was at early stage of my life asca result of bad situation but the situation later turned good after few yrs of hard work and commitment. at 22 I was foreman, at 23 I was getting contracts in hundreds of thousands and at 24 I was earning by superving others but I felt I needed to get it right by going to school, yes I was right but I was wrong when I didn't find a way to build on the area of my skill. I went into a different area and came out as one of the best but couldn't get job do age limit for entry level position in that field, later found job elsewhere where I am also doing fine but I am emotionally starving of my skill. each time I see construction going on, I feel like fixing myself in there. I can easily point out mistakes to engineers who dont know my background.
if you most wait one extra year to gain admission to study a course that compliment your skill, Pls do. this will enable you to avoid disappointment of not getting job after school

2 Likes

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Nobody: 10:06am On Dec 01, 2018
Moreoffaith:

Ask those who drop their skills for certificate on this forum,

They will surely tell you where they are today.
you can’t drop your skills for certificate. A skilled person without certificates has so much limitations. An electrician wishing to study physics is a great one. A bricklayer studying construction, a tailor studying fashion designing. Find a compliment academic education to your skill. he will remain an technician whilst someone with a certificate will become his boss. He can combine both!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by SaturnNick(m): 10:13am On Dec 01, 2018
Attending school will not erase the skill in you. And am sure you are still green.
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by don4real18(m): 10:18am On Dec 01, 2018
winj3:
Most degrees in Nigeria are useless, many Nigerian graduates lack commonsense (which is better than education) so expatriates are brought in to supervise them. Don't waste your time with a Nigerian degree!

The most successful people in the world have no university degrees: electricians, plumbers, builders are richer than degree holders all over the world.

Certificates are overrated in Nigeria...with most degree holders ending up never using the actual degrees to do what they studied. If we are talking about medicine or nursing then maybe...physics, sociology, mass comm and other useless Nigerian degrees should be consigned to the dustbin.
True but @the bolded... Builders are degree holders. Graduates from Building Technology
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Kira290(m): 10:23am On Dec 01, 2018
PBseller1719:
Original INEC Life Power. Its brand new and will give you at least 20 hrs back up on your Laptop. Stop wasting money to fuel Gen!
How much?
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by bravomd(m): 10:35am On Dec 01, 2018
StUdY1:
Good morning house, pls I need your advice weather to focus more on my skill or to continue with my education.

I just gained admission to study physics into one of the federal university in Nigeria and I have being having a second thought to defer/forget about the admission (because I have already accepted it and paid acceptance fee).

I deal mostly with Electronics and i am very good in what I do.But the fact that I read a few pages on different thread on this forum that it is better to have a skill than having a degree have being making me to think about forgetting about education and focus more on what I am doing(which is my skill)

Op don't let any one deceive you, certificate is very important. You'll need them in future. I used to be like it's not it's, I just finished my first degree and Nysc and would be applying for my masters next year. you need some level certification to make things easy for you in today's world. And add prestige to your overall personally when you meet people

Please make your education a priority. Thank me later
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by winj3: 10:40am On Dec 01, 2018
don4real18:

True but @the bolded... Builders are degree holders. Graduates from Building Technology

Not one single builder I know has a degree, they studied the trade ONLY like apprenticeship.
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Nobody: 10:44am On Dec 01, 2018
Stem courses can never be a waste.
In as much as I advocate getting your skills, with a background in the sciences/physics, the sky is your limit.
Combine both studying and skill aquisition, and you will be better for it
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Vested(m): 10:47am On Dec 01, 2018
alizma:

I quote you directly so you will get my response.
I was in to construction(brickslayer) after my secondary school which was at early stage of my life asca result of bad situation but the situation later turned good after few yrs of hard work and commitment. at 22 I was foreman, at 23 I was getting contracts in hundreds of thousands and at 24 I was earning by superving others but I felt I needed to get it right by going to school, yes I was right but I was wrong when I didn't find a way to build on the area of my skill. I went into a different area and came out as one of the best but couldn't get job do age limit for entry level position in that field, later found job elsewhere where I am also doing fine but I am emotionally starving of my skill. each time I see construction going on, I feel like fixing myself in there. I can easily point out mistakes to engineers who dont know my background.
if you most wait one extra year to gain admission to study a course that compliment your skill, Pls do. this will enable you to avoid disappointment of not getting job after school

You're the only one who made common and practical mincemeat of this dilemma faced by the OP.
Thumbs up, bro!

People don't know that tertiary education should compliment a skilled worker as he isn't in need of the papers but a polished skill.
A lot who advised are either still in school or haven't gone into the Labour market. Even those in the Labour Market who advised are underemployed but they don't know it because they just want something to bring money in.

OP, focus on your skill and keep learning to be a better skilled personnel. If you need to learn further, don't limit your search to Nigerian Public Universities alone but to any sort of institution whether home or abroad that can enhance you. It is your skill that will feed you and make you the person you want to be, not the papers that most are advising you to go collect.
FOCUS ON THAT!

1 Like

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by don4real18(m): 10:48am On Dec 01, 2018
winj3:

Not one single builder I know has a degree, they studied the trade ONLY like apprenticeship.
They are not Builders and I'm educating you.
To become a Builder, you need to be a graduate of building technology then write different examinations conducted by National Institute of Building (NIOB), attend about 6 workshops and 6 conferences then undergo siwes under a registered Builder before you can also become registered.
Note- Do not mistake a bricklayer as a builder. You can surf the web for more info
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Nobody: 10:49am On Dec 01, 2018
kaptaneSaka:
please guys, is advisable to travel overseas or start my photography career in Nigeria.... please I need advice
Travel, if u av d opportunity
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by AbbeyLinkoln92(m): 10:56am On Dec 01, 2018
Bro, Education is inevitable in our daily activities, am an IT personnel very good at CCTV, intercom, DSTV, fire alarm, computer networking etc. I graduated from Lagos poly last year, I sponsored my self to have the HND certificate with the help of skill. So..pls combine the too. Thanks
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by jaxxy(m): 10:58am On Dec 01, 2018
StUdY1:

An Education is Highly important! I didn’t say a degree. Sm people have degrees and it’s totally useless and worthless to them. U have to know what ur end goal is and what will take u there be it Education or skill.

I will always advise u go to skol and get urself Educated it’s only four years. Ur biz may suffer unless u can focus and combine the 2 well enough or run a part time program. U also have to weigh the potential of ur course and what exactly u can achieve with it, do u plan to get a job with it afterwards and what career path do u intend to follow with it? If u choose skill make a clear path on how u can achieve ur goal with it the maximum. All these will guide u to a proper decision.
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by don4real18(m): 10:58am On Dec 01, 2018
If you are planning to be an employee, certificate is really important but if you are planning to be stand alone, focus more on developing your skills though the certificate is an added advantage.
I'm a graduate, worked as an employee but presently on my own using my developed skills.
The thing is that you should build yourself in the area of your skills. Physics is quite wide and will improve you in the area of your skills but don't let anyone tell you that it's much more important than your skills.
I know several successful individuals who didn't smell the gate of a tetiary institution yet the contracts and money controlled by these men can pay the salaries of the Universities workers combined. The ball lies in your sac behind your dilly willy. I wish you success in whatever choice you pick
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by winj3: 11:00am On Dec 01, 2018
don4real18:

They are not Builders and I'm educating you.
To become a Builder, you need to be a graduate of building technology then write different examinations conducted by National Institute of Building (NIOB), attend about 6 workshops and 6 conferences then undergo siwes under a registered Builder before you can also become registered.
Note- Do not mistake a bricklayer as a builder. You can surf the web for more info

Educate yourself!
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Nobody: 11:01am On Dec 01, 2018
Skill helps Education assists
One complements d other...Go 2 sch but dont 4get abt ur skill
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Juliearth(f): 11:04am On Dec 01, 2018
StUdY1:

You can have the best of both worlds. By that, I mean you should further your studies and continue with the business. Belief you me, you will be glad you did in the nearest future. I must remind you though,that it may prove to be hard,but with God/Allah on your side and of course hard work, you shall come out victorious. I wish you the best.
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by BalogunIdowu(m): 11:05am On Dec 01, 2018
I can remember the registrar back in AOCOED used to say, if you want to be a farmer, be an educated farmer.

Being in university doesn't stop what you do, you just need more time for your studies as you're juat been admitted for a good stand then balance things together as you go on!
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by don4real18(m): 11:10am On Dec 01, 2018
winj3:

Educate yourself!

Well, I'm sorry if you feel offended... Have a great day and a wonderful December to remember
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by winj3: 11:19am On Dec 01, 2018
don4real18:

Well, I'm sorry if you feel offended... Have a great day and a wonderful December to remember
I get headaches from arguing with idiots!
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Focusmind: 11:22am On Dec 01, 2018
Skill rules the world now. If you are going to struggle to pay your school fees, please face your skills and passion. Develop it to the best. Forget the admission and face your business. If your parents are rich and can foot your school fees, go to school and take your passion as a side hustle.

Never struggle to pay your school fees when you have options of starting your business.

1 Like

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by frankopit: 11:45am On Dec 01, 2018
Only people with handwork can enjoy Buhari regime .
E.g programming for money ,
Provinding solution throught programming and other skills.

U can as well differ your admission if u do t have the financial power to run it now.

Differing admission is like freezing your admission untill u are ready to start.
And u don't need to write another JAMB.
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Remix10(m): 11:58am On Dec 01, 2018
Pursue a career while focusing on your skills. You think pursuing a career will limit your skills but it is the other way round.
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Winnairaking100: 12:03pm On Dec 01, 2018
Pls pls go to school it is very it will help ur skill in future pls pls.
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Timblaze(m): 12:05pm On Dec 01, 2018
pls, you can still go to school and still hold onto u skills,they are breaks in schools and you can still create time to improve on ur skills. one thing I believe in a country like this that certificate is over rated. with you skills I think u still need the bragging right that you have a certificate and u have seen the four wall of a high institution..
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by nnamdismart25(m): 12:08pm On Dec 01, 2018
Education is a total deception of the century! After studying in school u still come out to look for job that may not exit even if u manage to get any they might be paying u 20k for a start is dat not wickedness ?education makes u a slave to the rich and only teach u how to work for other people for over 30years of ur life and retire poor and will never teach u how to make money urself! But as an entrepreneur u make others work for u and u have ur freedom as the boss of ur own . Note that those who loves security will never have freedom. Bro better focus on ur skill and build it up than wasting 5 to 6 year in school and still end up as a slave to another man just think twice b4 u act!
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by kingsleyugo41(m): 12:39pm On Dec 01, 2018
Conbine both remember cert is important in this country
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Ebukaokeke5: 12:51pm On Dec 01, 2018
u can still be doing what u do best and earn a degree in Physics.Electronics is a part of Physics discipline.You'd be more amazing in electronics if you earn a degree in Physics.Find a way to run them both, u'd do better on the long run.If u can't run them both simultaneously, then complete your career in physics, it would throw more lights n open greater opportunities in your electronics endeavors in the long run.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? / How To Survive A Job Loss / 5 College Staff Die In Abia Over Salary Arrears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.